• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon.com releases Movie 11 page

Jnoo

WTF?
Reaction score
Click here

This should at least have a lot of information on the english movie. Let's see what I can discover.
  • Release is Spring 2009 (They didn't give an exact release date)
  • Reverse World keeps its name
  • Glacidea is called Gracidea
  • Mugen Graceland is called Newton Graceland
  • Infi and Zero both keep their names

That's all I could find. Anything else I might have missed, let me know and I'll add it here. =)

Newton Graceland.

That's not too bad a dub name. Newton sounds pretty close to Mugen, and it's a name related to science (Isaac Newton).

As for Glacidea>Gracidea, I can say I saw it coming, but I sorta dislike it. Glacidea looks and sounds better than Gracidea, IMO.

Still, not bad.

Gracidea seems awfully Engrishy to me. I expect Mugen to be renamed, but what's with the announcer in the promo butchering Giratina's name? I hope that's not the official pronunciation...

I agree, it does sound like Engrish. I did like Glacidia as it was.

Glacidea made sense because it was next to a glacier. I don't understand the reasoning behind the name change other than I guess it's alluding to the word "grace," but I have to agree that it does sound like Japanese English.

I think it was kind of odd that the trailer didn't have any voice acting. I also prefer Glacidea to Gracidea as it sounds better and fits in better with the story.

Glacidea -> Gracidea isn't really a name change. It's just a different way to romanize グラシデア. Neither term is more "correct" than the other.

Kind of lame that they didn't keep Mugen, but whatever.

I agree, it does sound like Engrish. I did like Glacidia as it was.

It is Glacidea in Japanese Version!

Every time you copy Merrick's errors, one cat dies in your town!

WPM said that "Gracidea" makes more sense. To me, it does not. I always thought that Glacidea was derived from "glace" (which means ice) and I still believe it was the intended meaning in Japanese version. And yes, Gracidea really sounds Engrish.

But I wonder what will they do with the name in the games "Gracidea Flower" is 15 characters long. Item names have 12 characters limit!

Kind of lame that they didn't keep Mugen, but whatever.

Didn't you see that coming? It was obvious that they would rename Mugen. I understand that you don't like Character name changes (nor do I) but they are doing it since 1998 and why would they suddenly stop? Let them be consistent!

The only instances when they keep Japanese names is when they are simple and sound "stereotypically" Japanese (like Yuzo, Sho, Kenzo, Shiro, Koji). Mugen is not a commonly realised Japanese given name in US. And I like the name Newton.

Last edited:
How many different ways are there to pronounce Giratina?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZe5iisLIc

Is it not pronounced the way it is in this video?
It's the same. Based off Japanese trailers, isn't that the way it's pronounced in Japan too...?

Ooh, like the art of the twerps and their teams. Never seen them before. Although Brock and Happiny's positions in relation to each other are... weird.

The way it's pronounced in the Japanese version sounds exactly the same as the English version...where is this "butchering" coming from?

It always sounded like geerantina to me, with no emphasis on anything. Having the emphasis on the ti sounds really weird.

It always sounded like geerantina to me, with no emphasis on anything. Having the emphasis on the ti sounds really weird.

"Geerantina" doesn't make any sense...there is no N sound between Gira and Tina for it to make that sound.

Bah, I don't know why I keep putting an n in there when there it's not spelled with one.

Anyway, if the pronunciation only sound different to me I guess it's not a big deal.

Gracidea.
I can pronounce the word better when I'm not looking at it. XD
grass-ee-dee-uh.
It kind of makes more sense to be called Gracidea as Shaymin has nothing to do with glaciers in the games. Also, to me Gracidea is alluding more to the word Gratitude and not Grace. Also "Gracidea" shares a similarity to the spanish word for thank you "Gracias". But I'm sure its just a coincidence. XD

PUSA's pronunciation of "Giratina" is very English-fied. They pronounce it "Gir-ra-ti-na" instead of "Gi-ra-ti-na," forcing a connection between the i and the r that really isn't there in the Japanese pronunciation.

4Kids did the same with with "Jirachi."

Gear-uh-tee-nuh = English
Gee-rah-tee-nuh = Japanese

It's not really PUSA changing it, it's just how the English language is. :p

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom