• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN044: Sword & Shield III - Mugendina

What an intense episode for preparation of the showdown between the good and the bad. However, it still very rush in my opinion to be so quick turn face and fast to confrontation. Nevertheless, one more episode to go before the arc ended in a hurry.

Overall rating: B+

Damn, they just took a step further from last week and made this episode even better and quite dark. For such a rushed and short arc, Shoji Yonemura is definitely trying to make it up for in quality, and this episode also surprisingly was quite dialogue heavy with balanced amount of action. I really loved the visual work in this episode (even the minor 3D camera usage) and especially when some of it went into borderline CGI territory, hopefully Iwane/Shimura work on the next episode and top it.

This episode was a lot better than last week’s in my opinion. Interesting that Meowth Gigantamaxing wasn’t resolved in this episode though, I thought that they would get that out of the way so that they could focus solely on the Eternatus fight for the next episode. I can’t wait to see the conclusion of this arc and Mewtwo’s reappearance.

The music that played when Gou and Sonia were examining the statues- is it from the games? It played in the last episode too and I love the piece.

So Raboot and Riolu will probably evolve at the same time but at different places. I wish Gou would've had more Pokémon on hand though. I was afraid Dragonite would accidentally Dynamax the entire duration of the episode. It very, very narrowly missed Eternatus' beam. Well maybe they planned it but Dragonite doesn’t have a Gigantamax form to market...

My only gripe with the episode is, they should've revealed Sonia to have some Pokémon on hand instead of being a Damsel in Distress. Would've been a neat way to market Boltund, or Frosmoth, or Toxtricity or literally any other Galar Pokémon.

hopefully Iwane/Shimura work on the next episode and top it
Doesn't look like next week will be an Iwane episode. The Mewtwo one is definitely Iwane doing it.

Anyway, this is once again yet another great episode. I'm really impressed at how they've been taking a story that is one of the weakest in the franchise and making it better than the game itself.

And this is coming from a series that has had a pretty weak first half...

The scene where Sonia and Go were rushing off in the car with that jazzy number in the background felt like a scene from Cowboy Bebop, nice.

I'm glad that Satoshi didn't just step in and sort Nyasu out - hopefully this means that Musashi, Kojiro and Sonansu can do so themselves.

Am I the only person who felt that Mugendina's CGI animated body was horribly out of place and stuck out like a sore thumb? I cringed every time it came on screen...

Max knuckle meme.jpg

My only gripe with the episode is, they should've revealed Sonia to have some Pokémon on hand instead of being a Damsel in Distress. Would've been a neat way to market Boltund, or Frosmoth, or Toxtricity or literally any other Galar Pokémon.

Even the anime discredits her Gym Challenge experience. I wish she would have been fleshed out more too, as well as be more self-reliant.

Is it just me, or was Eternatus considerably smaller than the first time we saw it in Leon's debut episode? Disappointing. It was already bad enough that the games' atrocious scaling didn't let us appreciate how ENORMOUS this thing is, and now the anime decided to shrink it down too? Sigh.

That said, the episode was generally okay. It's kind of annoying that it was mostly just setting up for the upcoming big fight, but at least it made clear that everyone is gonna participate... well, okay, everyone except Sonia, who really got the short end of the stick. I mean, at least the games gave her a Yamper, but here it doesn't look like she's got any Pokemon of her own.

So Meowth tanked a full-on Dynamax Cannon and lived whereas Ash's dragonite was OHKO'd by a glancing blow from the same move

Meowth is stronger than a pokemon that can 2HKO a mega evolved pokemon

just...let that sink in for a moment
Or maybe the thing used on Meowth wasn't Dynamax Cannon but a blast of Dynamax energy that resulted in Gigantamaxing instead of damage.

Team Rocket thought they could capture what they believe is the strongest Pokemon in existence... with a net.
Reminds me of how they tried to do the same with Kyogre in Hoenn. Sometimes they just don't see how ridiculously bad their plans are. And by "sometimes", I mean "almost always".

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom