• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

I actually feel the opposite, dude. By the having the expansions be digital the people that bought early could upgrade. Compare with the third versions, where if you bought early you were screwed because no way to update beside buying the same game again.

Yeah, I can see why it works better for some people - perhaps most people. The only reason it's affected me negatively is because of my preference for physical copies. I have the digital Sword Expansion Pass already, so I could just buy the Shield Expansion Pass now and call it a day. But I'm feeling compelled to buy the bundled editions because I really want to have everything on the cartridge. I'll probably get them later on once they're available more cheaply second-hand.

I don’t find the games overpriced, and the DLC certainly shouldn’t be free. Considering how massive it is, I actually think it’s worth the full $30.

However, I will say GF’s decision to not announce the physical bundle along with the DLC was odd. Many people who would have purchased the physical bundle had already bought the DLC digitally. I suppose they get their money either way, but it just seems counterproductive.

The sizing of the Pokemon needs to be fixed too. Note: This picture is not mine's. I added red and green circles to point out the incorrect and correct sizes respectively.

Attachments

• Sizing problem of Wailord.png
    Sizing problem of Wailord.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 57
I suppose they get their money either way, but it just seems counterproductive.
They get more money by this approach. The fact that people are considering rebuying Game+DLC physical on this thread itself is proof enough. However the games are, GameFreak sure likes to exploit the collectors.

By not announcing the bundle before now they get extra sales from people who want to double dip.

They get more money by this approach. The fact that people are considering rebuying Game+DLC physical on this thread itself is proof enough. However the games are, GameFreak sure likes to exploit the collectors.

By not announcing the bundle before now they get extra sales from people who want to double dip.

I really don’t think that’s their main goal here. Having a physical bundle with the DLC go out right before the holidays just makes sense. The games are still selling very well, so it’s going to be a convenient option for a lot of people.

I would suspect that the people who would seriously consider paying an extra $90 for a physical duplicate of something they already own, with literally no substantial differences, are a very niche part of the consumer base. Obviously GF/TPC won’t turn down the sales, but I really don’t think those are the buyers that really influence the decision to release a bundle pack.

And while I do agree that it would have been nice to announce from the start that there would be such a bundle, this is a scenario in which I think a lot of the responsibility still falls on the consumer. If you already own the game and the DLC, you don’t actually need the bundle. You might want it because you prefer physical copies or because you’re a completionist, but no one’s making you drop a hundred dollars on a redundant purchase. I’m very much the type of fan who would consider buying the bundle pack despite already owning the DLC (I haven’t really decided whether I will or not yet), but I can own up to the fact that that’s my unwise decision.

Yeah, pretty much what my point was is that the decision to not announce the physical pack simultaneously with the DLC was “counterproductive” (again, they get their money either way) because there are now many people who already bought the DLC digitally and now have no need to buy it physically...but they would have had they only known it was going to exist. It just kind of digs into their sales of the physical copies specifically.

I’m not really sold on the idea that the move is exploitative (I certainly don’t think it was intentionally exploitative), but I can see how it could be construed as such.

On another note, here’s a nice overview trailer they put out to promote the bundle pack, set to the Bump of Chicken song from the animated Gotcha! feature:

It's pretty common place to eventually bundle tbh... And other than having something nice to display, there's no big benefit to physical over digital. I mean, even the actual save file is on the console now. And also everything that Esserise says.

Not to mention they've killed the third version once and for all. And I'm very glad for that

As for the DLC itself, I'm rather enjoying it, even if I do have some criticism.

You've hit the nail on the head! I do feel like I've been exploited. I'm not much of a collector, and don't usually even buy both versions of a game, but because Galar is extra special to me (being from the UK and all) I feel like I want to have the full experience, and to preserve that full experience by owning everything physically. In other words, in this generation I've been more easily exploited than usual.

I love Sword and Shield, and as a creative type I view them and all their predecessors as beautiful, if occasionally flawed, works of art. But in order to experience them I'm also having to contend with the very worst of "have the latest thing" consumer culture, which has tainted the experience ever-so-slightly. Because of their high price barrier, video games are a much less accessible art form than, say, books or films.

It's pretty common place to eventually bundle tbh... And other than having something nice to display, there's no big benefit to physical over digital. I mean, even the actual save file is on the console now.

The main advantage of physical copies, for me, is not losing access to the DLC if my console broke after the eShop has closed down. I know a physical copy could eventually wear out too, but I have a feeling that Switch games will last longer than DS and 3DS games because, with save files now being stored on the Switch, there's no flash memory on the game cards anymore.

On another note, here’s a nice overview trailer they put out to promote the bundle pack, set to the Bump of Chicken song from the animated Gotcha! feature:

I love this trailer so much, it encapsulates everything I love about the game. Joe Merrick of Serebii.net said that it "Really shows the life and soul Sword & Shield has" and I agree.

Last edited:
Came across some interesting evidence about the Fossil mons that appear in the Crown Tundra - they might only be there because of Solgaleo/Lunala arriving through an Ultra Wormhole.

It's already implied by Nia that Solgaleo/Lunala are indirectly responsible for the Legendaries that we encounter in the Max Lair, as she mentions how the scientist told her that Solgaleo/Lunala was the first Legendary to be spotted in there. So it showed up, for whatever reason, and along with it came a bunch of Legendaries from other worlds.

Solgaleo/Lunala's presence naturally attracted Necrozma, which emerged through another Ultra Wormhole according to the fourth Legendary Clue and Peony's dialogue after showing Necrozma to him. This must be what caused the other Ultra Beasts to appear in the Max Lair, since you can't encounter them until you've picked up the fourth Clue page.

All fairly simple and straightforward, but get this: If you talk to the woman who gifts you a Cosmog, she says that she found it alone out in the snow some time ago (we can surmise that it got dragged along with Solgaleo/Lunala, or maybe Solgaleo/Lunala traveled there in the first place in order to conduct their breeding ritual?), and that around that same time, "other strange Pokémon started to appear in the tundra." The tundra, not the Max Lair specifically.

But who says that she's referring to the Fossil Pokémon and not, like, the Swords of Justice? Well, when you first arrive at the Crown Tundra, there's a man in the train station who says its been a long time since he came back to the Tundra, and that it seems to have changed a lot since he was last there, becoming colder and with a lot of "rockish Pokémon wandering around."

So maybe all these Fossil Pokémon came from a parallel world that's still in the prehistoric era, or maybe a world where they never went extinct to begin with. Or a world where the restoration projects have been far more vast and coordinated than those in the prime universe. (Incidentally, since they readded Genesect to the game, why not let it get in on the fun? Obviously they weren't going to suddenly introduce a "Primisect" form or whatever, but hey, they already threw in one Mythical...)

So maybe all these Fossil Pokémon came from a parallel world that's still in the prehistoric era, or maybe a world where they never went extinct to begin with. Or a world where the restoration projects have been far more vast and coordinated than those in the prime universe. (Incidentally, since they readded Genesect to the game, why not let it get in on the fun? Obviously they weren't going to suddenly introduce a "Primisect" form or whatever, but hey, they already threw in one Mythical...)

Maybe that Cosmog came from an alternate or future version of Alola, where the fossil restoration man on Route 8 completed his "Dream Park" project.

I was bored and felt like doing some data collation, so I went through to see how much species overlap there is between the three Pokédexes of Galar. Stats nerds, go nuts:

Blipbug, Dottler, Orbeetle
Applin, Flapple, Appletun
Pawniard, Bisharp
Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Gallade
Krabby, Kingler
Remoraid, Octillery
Mantyke, Mantine
Wingull, Pelipper
Skorupi, Drapion
Chewtle, Drednaw
Wooper, Quagsire
Goomy, Sliggoo, Goodra
Croagunk, Toxicroak
Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu
Oranguru
Passimian
Corphish, Crawdaunt
Cramorant
Goldeen, Seaking
Arrokuda, Barraskewda
Inkay, Malamar
Wishiwashi
Dwebble, Crustle
Wimpod, Golisopod
Mareanie, Toxapex
Clobbopus, Grapploct
Shellder, Cloyster
Drifloon, Drifblim
Woobat, Swoobat
Roggenrola, Boldore, Gigalith
Salandit, Salazzle
Scraggy, Scrafty
Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o
Torkoal
Silicobra, Sandaconda
Rufflet, Braviary
Vullaby, Mandibuzz
Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Rhyperior
Chinchou, Lanturn
Wailmer, Wailord
Frillish, Jellicent
Combee, Vespiquen
Ditto

43 families, 89 species

Snom, Frosmoth
Wooloo, Dubwool
Swinub, Piloswine, Mamoswine
Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Mr. Rime
Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe
Snorunt, Glalie, Froslass
Sneasel, Weavile
Snover, Abomasnow
Phantump, Trevenant
Impidimp, Morgrem, Grimmsnarl
Hatenna, Hattrem, Hatterene
Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable
Mimikyu
Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure
Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle
Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus
Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr
Basculin
Zigzagoon, Linoone, Obstagoon
Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, Leafeon, and Sylveon
Bronzor, Bronzong
Stonjourner
Eiscue
Dewpider, Araquanid
Joltik, Galvantula
Sizzlipede, Centiskorch
Durant
Heatmor
Darumaka, Darmanitan
Ponyta, Rapidash
Cufant, Copperajah
Dreepy, Drakloak, Dragapult
Delibird
Cubchoo, Beartic
Sinistea, Polteageist
Riolu, Lucario
Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon
Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar
Bergmite, Avalugg
Baltoy, Claydol
Golett, Golurk
Yamper, Boltund
Dhelmise
Rookidee, Corvisquire, Corviknight
Gossifleur, Eldegoss
Cottonee, Whimsicott
Shuckle
Indeedee
Munchlax, Snorlax
Sableye
Mawile
Rolycoly, Carkol, Coalossal
Ferroseed, Ferrothorn
Noibat, Noivern
Feebas, Milotic
Lapras

56 families, 123 species

Skwovet, Greedent
Magikarp, Gyarados
Karrablast, Escavalier
Shelmet, Accelgor
Morpeko
Pincurchin
Barboach, Whiscash

7 families, 12 species

Druddigon lol

Stray observations:

Pleasantly surprised by how little three-Dex overlap there is despite the Galar Dex being as big as Alola's.

For some reason, Leafeon and Glaceon's positions within the Tundra Dex are flipped relative to their sequencing in every other Dex. Normally it goes Leafeon > Glaceon, but here, it's Glaceon > Leafeon. I guess because the Crown Tundra is cold lol? Odd.

And then weirdly there's Dhelmise, which is included in the Galar and Tundra Dexes... but not the Isle Dex, despite being encounterable via fishing at Challenge Beach - according to Bulbapedia, it is in fact the only encounterable Pokémon in the Isle of Armor that isn't part of the Isle Dex. So like... what the heck? Did they forget to give it a spot in the Isle Dex? Did they accidentally put Dhelmise in the Challenge Beach fishing tables? Were they being obsessively strict about each of the DLC Dexes having 210 Pokémon each (excluding Zarude) but someone just really, really wanted to through Dhelmise a bone? (Which I actually do appreciate, since being able to find it on the Isle let me put one on my team early on in a previous playthrough instead of Max Raiding or waiting until Badge #7, and it was great!)

Edit: Wailmer, much like Dhelmise, can actually be found in all three regions of Galar as well - even though it is only included in the Galar and Isle Dexes.

Also can we talk about Slowpoke, specifically Slowking. Johtonian Slowking is part of the Isle Dex for obvious reasons - they added Galarian Slowpoke and Slowbro at that point, and would have to add the Kantonian forms too, which automatically mandates Slowking's inclusion. But Galarian Slowking was held back until the Crown Tundra's release. And the NPC who makes the item for it is found in a remote cave in the Crown Tundra. But... Slowpoke isn't actually in the Crown Tundra Dex. :unsure: It really just makes me wonder why they didn't release it with IOA to begin with. It's not like CT didn't have plenty to offer without G-Slowking, and now, going and getting a Galarica Wreath made is a little more inconvenient than it needs to be. On top of all this is how, for the Galarian Star Tournament and the subsequent rematches at the Dojo, Avery ends up demoting his Slowbro from it's position as his ace in favor of Galarian Slowking. Klara adds a Slowking to her team as well, but her ace remains Slowbro. Why weren't they just version-opposite spotlights to begin with, with Klara always using G-Slowbro and Avery always using G-Slowking as their respective aces? (Though I guess adding it to their teams in CT does pay off that extra little IOA post-game scene at the Potbottom Desert where we see Klara/Avery training a new Galarian Slowpoke.)

Last edited:
Wow the main dex shares a lot of pokemon with the crown tundra one. I like how to only shared one between the isle of armor and the crown tundra is Druddigon.

A fun little detail about the Regi's Caves: Not only to they share the names with the locations in Sinnoh, but the layout is identical: They feature the same pattern and statue, as well as the puzzle that you have to solve, its exactly the same as in Platinum. The new Regis have a room in a similar fashion.

Does anyone else find it odd how, thanks to Dynamax Adventures, you can now catch Legendaries before even reaching the first Gym? That's like finding a Mewtwo in Viridian Forest! The Isle of Armor works really well as a supplement to the main story, but I think the Crown Tundra, with its high-level battles and heavy focus on Legendaries, should have been strictly a postgame area.

Does anyone else find it odd how, thanks to Dynamax Adventures, you can now catch Legendaries before even reaching the first Gym? That's like finding a Mewtwo in Viridian Forest! The Isle of Armor works really well as a supplement to the main story, but I think the Crown Tundra, with its high-level battles and heavy focus on Legendaries, should have been strictly a postgame area.

I do think it is odd that they let you go on Dynamax Adventures at that point, even though I understand the broader decision to let players access the Tundra itself right away despite its blatantly post-game level design. That said, I suspect that most people won't take advantage of this since it's not very intuitive. But I'm also not really one to tell people how they should play. If someone wants early-game Legendaries, then I say go for it. It's their playthrough.

This isn't the first time that this has been possible, either - in B2W2, you could receive any of the Dream Radar Legendaries before earning the first Badge (not to mention the Lv15 Genesect they distributed at launch), and in HGSS, if you had an event Arceus, you could claim one of the Sinjoh Ruins dragons before beating the Violet City Gym.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom