• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Honestly they've handled Ash's story and team in general pretty poorly while Goh remains the writers pet. Lucario has gotten a good amount of focus while G-Farfetch'd is nonexistent. I feel like it hasn't appeared since Ash's first battle with Bea. And Ash not having a single starter from a new region just feels wrong honestly.
It's unfortunate that Ash is being treated like he's a companion.

Honestly they've handled Ash's story and team in general pretty poorly while Goh remains the writers pet. Lucario has gotten a good amount of focus while G-Farfetch'd is nonexistent. I feel like it hasn't appeared since Ash's first battle with Bea. And Ash not having a single starter from a new region just feels wrong honestly.
Unpopular opinion, but I actually like that Ash hasn't caught a starter for once, because it means his whole team is made up of something other than the usual Pikachu/Fire/Water/Grass/Regional Bird/Miscellaneous lineup. Sure, the lineup started being broken in XY, but this is the first time it's been fully subverted. Unless, of course, Ash ends up catching Grookey after all. That said, since the Galar starters are my least favorite of that bunch so far, I will admit that my opinion regarding Ash not catching any does have some degree of bias on my part XD.

That said, the way Ash's team has been handled so far is really sad. Especially for poor Galar Farfetch'd, who was supposedly caught explicitly to serve as a rival/sparring partner for Riolu, but in practice ended up being more of a hapless punching bag. Honestly, the way that bird has been treated makes me wish Ash had never caught it at all, as not only is it redundant type-wise with Riolu, it literally hasn't done anything of note besides losing to Bea. And now that Ash has one of the most popular Pokemon in the franchise on his roster, Farfetch'd will probaby be overshadowed forever by it...

Last edited:
Poor Grookey is so unloved that it still hasn't appeared. I hope Chloe gets it just like she's getting Eevee because since Ash didn't get Scorbunny or Sobble I feel like his team doesn't even need a Galar starter at all.

Poor Grookey is so unloved that it still hasn't appeared. I hope Chloe gets it just like she's getting Eevee because since Ash didn't get Scorbunny or Sobble I feel like his team doesn't even need a Galar starter at all.
I also don't think that Ash is getting any Galar starters, but I think that Gou will be the one getting Grookey.

Seems like they’re going to start emphasizing Koharu. The “secret” is probably gonna be Gigantamax, unless they come out with a new Eeveelution or something, though it also seems like it knows an Electric-type move, so it might know Partner Eevee moves.
I'm absolutely certain that the secret is Gigantamax. The Partner Moves are probably too outdated from a marketing standpoint, and an Eeveelution, while something of a 50/50 case scenario, would most likely happen towards the end of Gen 8 instead of this early.

That said, I do admit that I'd much prefer if it was the Partner Eevee moves or a new Eeveelution because, I'm gonna be frank, as cute as Gigantamax Eevee is, it is by far the worst gimmick Eevee has ever received. And I don't mean it in a "it's not even that viable a powerup for the metagame" sense, I mean it in a thematic and aesthetic standpoint: to me, the core theme of Eevee is that it has far more evolutionary options than any other creature in the franchise, so whenever Eevee has to go it solo, it should get something that incorporates its evolved forms in some way to represent that theme: the Partner Moves were cool because Eevee got one per evolved form, so even if Partner Eevee couldn't evolve itself, it still had its evolved forms in spirit. Similarly, Extreme Evoboost involves Eevee summoning all its evolved forms to give it a power boost, which also keeps the family theme. In contrast, Gigantamax Eevee just gets sorta fluffier and its signature move has nothing to do with its evolved forms (I guess its effects could be linked to Sylveon, but that's it). I don't really dislike Gigantamax Eevee, per se, but I do feel it could have been so much better than it is. Maybe if its signature move had eight different random effects each representing an Eeveelution, but it didn't even have to be that much: I'd have been satisfied with something as minor as Eevee's mane having the eight dominant colors of its evolutions...

Last edited:
Do you think that Ash's Farfetch'd will decide to evolve into Sirfetch'd or instead resist its evolution? Why?

The only reason why I'd think it would not become a Sirfetch'd is that its sword and shield would be complicated to handle in battle and would limit its actions. But I doubt that would be enough reason to halt is development, Galarian Farfetch'd is a knight in training and it would be weird if Ash's didn't become a knight. Additionally, Sirfetch'd is very popular and I doubt the writers would let Ash reach the PWC finals with an unevolved mon besides Pikachu.

It's very obviously going to evolve.

They wouldn't given it to Ash to begin with if it weren't going to
I think that it is indeed G-Max and Koharu will start challenging the Galar Gyms after getting Leon's endorsement. Hop will be her rival, not Ash's.
No! Marnie should be her rival

I’m still not counting out the SWSH rivals from appearing eventually. Though at this point, they’d be getting the Hau treatment, but appearing in some capacity is better than not appearing at all.

Not having an Ash vs. Hop battle with Leon watching would be a missed opportunity. They both want to reach Leon and it’s personal for both of them. If Hop does appear, I hope he has Drizzile/Inteleon since I would prefer Goh’s to stay unevolved.

Marnie participating in the PWC to bring recognition to Spikemuth would make sense.

Bede could overall just be a jerk with a high ranking to boost his ego. If Rose is still out there, perhaps he could manipulate Bede to help him collect Wishing Stars on the down low?

---

They wouldn’t of given him Galar Farfetch’d if it wasn’t going to evolve into a Galar Pokémon. Tons of Sirfetch’d merch and advertisement has been around, so it probably won’t even be that long until it does.

The only reason Galarfetch’d joined Ash was to get stronger and evolution is a natural progression of that goal.

Not having an Ash vs. Hop battle with Leon watching would be a missed opportunity. They both want to reach Leon and it’s personal for both of them. If Hop does appear, I hope he has Drizzile/Inteleon since I would prefer Goh’s to stay unevolved.
I agree with the bolded but the problem with this is that odds are Hop is going to be Gou's rival if he has Drizzile/Inteleon.
If you think about it, it doesn't really make much sense if a rival of Ash's has the Evolved form of a Starter that's more connected to Gou.

Every time a rival with an Evolved Starter pops up they usually share a connection to whoever has the Unevolved Stage.

Dawn's Piplup - Barry/Kenny's Empoleon
Serena Braxien - Aria's Delphox
Ash's Rowlet - Hau"s Decidueye
Ash's Torracat - Kukui's Incineroar
Ash's Snivy - Trip's Servine
Ash's Pignite - Shamus's Emboar

Notice something here?

We'd be likely getting a Goh's Sobble vs Hop's Drizzile/Inteleon situation here.
(And to be frank I cannot for the life of me imagine Sobble holding up well in battle against it's evolved forms at ALL. This Pokémon literally got scared and ran away from a Marshstomp that got stuck in the Ground. How tf is this thing going to hold it's own against an Inteleon? :bulbaFacepalm: )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom