• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Haha! Does it count as a Mandela if it's a very recent thing? I've known for many years that only outsider Pokemon disobey, but forgot momentarily, maybe because these Dynamax Adventures legendaries are an unusual case that I didn't think to apply the same logic to.
I think I know why you might think disobedience worked that way, and I'm not sure if it applies to you, but in Gen III both Mew and Deoxys (maybe also the other Mythicals?) disobeyed you always if they didn't have the fateful encounter flag.

All right here's the strat I used. Keep on flying to the spot where the Watt Trader is between the snowy and grassy areas. If you hear its cry twice, it's probably right in front of your face and going up the slope. Follow it and head up some slopes and eventually to left to that plateau where you can sometimes find an Aurorus running around. You'll be able to see it in the air over the cliff, and it'll eventually circle around to you. Make sure you save before you encounter it, in case not doing the puzzle right or ESPECIALLY if it's hailing.
Okay, I'll try that, thanks! Hopefully it works. I didn't think I'd be spending this much time looking for one Pokemon. :/

I have Articuno and Zapdos now. The latter wasn't hard to get. But Moltres seems impossible to encounter. All it does is take you in circles around the Isle of Armor without stopping. And it flies too high and too fast to really keep up with it. Why would you only be able to get two out of three birds though? Makes no sense. There's something I'm not doing right again, I guess. Personally, I don't find this fun either. GF should've done something else with the bird trio encounters.

I have Articuno and Zapdos now. The latter wasn't hard to get. But Moltres seems impossible to encounter. All it does is take you in circles around the Isle of Armor without stopping. And it flies too high and too fast to really keep up with it. Why would you only be able to get two out of three birds though? Makes no sense. There's something I'm not doing right again, I guess. Personally, I don't find this fun either. GF should've done something else with the bird trio encounters.

It isn't possible to catch up to it, you have to intercept it by getting in it's path before it arrives. Easiest way to do this is probably to just fly to the Master Dojo and then quickly bike over to where the Soothing Wetlands begin. Just stand in the path of where Moltres is heading and it should take notice of you.

It isn't possible to catch up to it, you have to intercept it by getting in it's path before it arrives. Easiest way to do this is probably to just fly to the Master Dojo and then quickly bike over to where the Soothing Wetlands begin. Just stand in the path of where Moltres is heading and it should take notice of you.

Oh, okay then, thanks. Still think the method to encountering any of the three could've been better though.

I was able to encounter it in Loop Lagoon near the berry tree on the island in the center of the area

So I randomly got curious about how weight calculation has been handled for each instance of fused Pokémon.

Kyurem in its incomplete form is 325 kg. Reshiram and Zekrom are both slightly heavier, 330 kg and 345 kg, respectively. But when Kyurem absorbs either of them, its own weight remains the same: 325 kg. This is despite some pretty obvious changes in its physiology, but I guess maybe all that ice was just really heavy? Or maybe Kyurem's standard form is, for whatever reason, more dense than its fused forms, so that even though there's less physical material, it still comes up to the same weight?

Next is Necrozma. In its incomplete form, it weighs 230 kg. Ultra Necrozma also weighs 230 kg, which makes sense, seeing as it's all the same Necrozma parts, just filled with (massless) photons. But unlike Kyurem, Necrozma's relationship with Solgaleo and Lunala isn't one of assimilation, but rather parasitism. Necrozma merely reconfigures its form in order to latch onto them, and the weight measurements for Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings Necrozma bear this out - they are 460 kg and 350 kg, respectively, which is exactly what you get if you add Necrozma's 230 kg with Solgaleo's 460 kg or Lunala's 350 kg. So it literally is just Necrozma's broken parts glued onto Solgaleo/Lunala, which then get converted into energy when Necrozma undergoes an Ultra Burst. Although I think it is... a little bit odd, that Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings are the exact sum of Necrozma + Solgaleo/Lunala, since they seem to lack those two half-darkened prisms that sprout off from Necrozma's wrists. I've never been able to actually locate those pieces on Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings's designs, despite being able to track every other Necrozma component.

Next we have Calyrex. Calyrex itself weighs in at a measly 7.7 kg. Glastrier weighs 800 kg, and Spectrier weighs 44.5 kg. The fusions, however, are interesting. Ice Rider weighs 809.1 kg, while Shadow Rider comes in at 53.6 kg. This is the sum of Calyrex and Glastrier/Spectrier, plus an extra 1.4 kg in both cases, which I can only assume is due to the presence of the Reins of Unity and/or Calyrex's lengthened cloak.

All in all, Kyurem still puzzles me, but I think it's a neat demonstration of detail that Calyrex has an extra bit added in (due to the elements that only appear when fused) while Necrozma is just straight-up what you'd get from combining it with its host since all it's doing is wrapping itself around Solgaleo/Lunala. In a small way, it illustrates that those processes, despite being mechanically identical, are still subtly different methods of Pokémon combination when compared to each other, each tailored to what the precise relationship between the two component Pokémon is.

E: Or maybe the logic with Kyurem, since Reshiram and Zekrom are so close to it in weight, is that the fused forms are half of Kyurem’s weight, and then about half of Reshiram/Zekrom’s weight? That probably makes sense.

Last edited:
Trivia: Couple o' pages ago I ranted about how Dhelmise can be found in the Isle of Armor despite not being in the Isle Dex and the fact that it was the only one like that. But actually, Game Freak like messing with my head, so they also put Wailmer in the Crown Tundra's Frigid Sea despite it not being in the Tundra Dex.

Why. Why these two random inserts you weirdo developers!!??

Trivia: Couple o' pages ago I ranted about how Dhelmise can be found in the Isle of Armor despite not being in the Isle Dex and the fact that it was the only one like that. But actually, Game Freak like messing with my head, so they also put Wailmer in the Crown Tundra's Frigid Sea despite it not being in the Tundra Dex.

Why. Why these two random inserts you weirdo developers!!??
It's not Gamefreak's fault a couple of whales and seaweed ghosts decided to take a vacation. :(

Maybe the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra, being large expanses of wildnerness that not many people have visited, haven't been fully documented by researchers yet, and the player character is the first person to discover that Dhelmise and Wailmer live in those locations.
My favorite explanation sofar!!

Last edited:
Maybe those are hollow, and thus have a very less weight?

Could be, but still, it's weird they don't seem to be present on Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings at all. Like... where did they go? Why did fusing with Solgaleo/Lunala make them vanish, while Ultra Bursting then causes them to reassert themselves?

Although I think it is... a little bit odd, that Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings are the exact sum of Necrozma + Solgaleo/Lunala, since they seem to lack those two half-darkened prisms that sprout off from Necrozma's wrists. I've never been able to actually locate those pieces on Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings's designs, despite being able to track every other Necrozma component.
I like the concept of the Battle Frontier, but I think I'd rather it be integrated as part of a post game story rather than a "competitive" post game facility. I'd like to see the Frontier Brains get more to do and say. I'd also like to see the changes to the battle mechanics to be a little bit more interesting than, you have to pay for healing items or you might start the battle with a status effect. Maybe battles should be more like the battle CDs from XD where a certain scenario is set up that you have to solve for. (speaking XD, I thought Battle Bingo was a a lot of fun) I'm not entirely sure what all I would do with it.
Maybe those are hollow, and thus have a very less weight?
Could be, but still, it's weird they don't seem to be present on Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings at all. Like... where did they go? Why did fusing with Solgaleo/Lunala make them vanish, while Ultra Bursting then causes them to reassert themselves?
Is it possible that those two crystal-like things on Necrozma’s arms are what allows it to absorb Solgaleo/Lunala in the first place? In that case, those hollow crystals could very easily be inside Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings Necrozma as a means of keeping Solgaleo/Lunala in a state of solid light it can control. By the time Necrozma can Ultra Burst, it no longer needs those hollow crystal appendages to keep its host bound to it, so they end up being pushed outside the light construct to avoid putting strain on its body.

Is it possible that those two crystal-like things on Necrozma’s arms are what allows it to absorb Solgaleo/Lunala in the first place? In that case, those hollow crystals could very easily be inside Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings Necrozma as a means of keeping Solgaleo/Lunala in a state of solid light it can control. By the time Necrozma can Ultra Burst, it no longer needs those hollow crystal appendages to keep its host bound to it, so they end up being pushed outside the light construct to avoid putting strain on its body.

Like some kind of latch - that's a creative solution!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom