• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gender of Ash's Pokémon that are unconfirmed.

feelithard23

Reaction score
What gender do you think: Butterfree, Pidgeott, Bulbasaur, Charizard, Squirtle, Kingler, Primape, Muk, Mr. Mime, Lapras, Snorlax, Heracross, Quilava, Totodile, Noctowl, Donphan, Swellow, Sceptile, Corphish, Torkoal, Glalie, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, Gilscor, Boldore, Greninja, Talonflame, Goodra, Rowlet, Lycanroc, Incineroar, Dragonite, Gengar, Lucario, and Farfetch'd are?

Tauros, Buizel, Gible, Oshawott, Tepig, Scraggy, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Krookodile, Hawlucha, and Noivern are male. Bayleef, Unfezant, and Snivy are female.

Bulbasuar, Charizard, Squirtle, Totodile, Sceptile, Glalie, Greninja, and Rowlet are implied to male in the english dub but that’s not canon as they were never mentioned in the japanese version.

Last edited:
Both Fushigidane and Zenigame use the "ore" pronouns in Episode 017 of the original series "The Island of Giant Pokémon!?" which implies that they're both meant to be seen as male.

fushigidane_ore_medium.png
zenigame_ore_medium.png

I find it extremely difficult for myself to believe that the gender of Ash's Butterfree remains unknown.
Likewise with Charizard especially when there was a plot point that had shown that Liza’s Charizard had fallen in love with it.

Then there’s Sceptile who not only had that female Treecko imitate it with a flower in early Hoenn and then it falling in love with Meganium in Battle Frontier.

I headcanon Quilava, Noctowl, Boldore, Talonflame, Goodra and Dragonite as females and the rest as males. That said, I can see plenty of them turning out to be girls.

Weren’t Staraptor and Heracross confirmed males?

I headcanon Quilava, Noctowl, Boldore, Talonflame, Goodra and Dragonite as females and the rest as males. That said, I can see plenty of them turning out to be girls.

Weren’t Staraptor and Heracross confirmed males?
Heracross has got to be grandfathered in as male due to horn shape and Staraptor fell for a TR decoy that looked like a female Staravia back when it was one so I’d say the intention was there.

I headcanon Gliscor as female due to the combination of how affectionate it was shown to be and the face it would like to make with a wink and its tongue sticking out which is typically used by girls in anime.

I'd put Incineroar has female just for the shits and giggles. But the Ultra Guardian amulet strongly S implies that Incineroar, Rowlet and Lycanroc as males.
Noctowl and Goodra I imagine as females because "why not"?
Ash-Greninja is male in the games or it’s gender can be anything? We got that going on for it which might help.
Dragonite in my headcanon is male. Nice subverting of traditional gender personality norms.

Kanto
Males: Bulbasaur, Charizard, Tauros, Squirtle, Pikachu, Mr.Mime, Butterfree
Females: Snorlax, Kingler, Pidgeot, Lapras, Muk

Johto
Males: Quilava, Donphan, Heracross, Totodile
Females: Bayleef, Noctowl

Hoenn
Males: Sceptile, Glalie, Torkoal
Females: Swellow, Corphish

Sinnoh
Males: Infernape, Staraptor, Gliscor, Buizel
Females: Torterra, Gible

Unova
Males: Pignite, Krookodile, Leavanny, Oshawott, Scraggy
Females: Snivy, Unfezant, Boldore

Kalos:
Males: Greninja, Hawlucha, Talonflame
Females: Goodra, Noivern

Alola: Incineroar, Rowlet, Lycanroc all male.

Journeys:
Males: Gengar, Galarfetch'd, Lucario
Female: Dragonite.

Well, not counting those whose genders are confirmed, here are my guesses/headcanons:

Male
Everyone who isn't in the list below lol

Female
Lapras, Muk, Quilava, Gliscor, Boldore, Goodra, Dragonite, and every regional bird except Staraptor

I like to think that all of them are males unless the anime says otherwise (in the case of Mamepato and Tsutarja for eg).

But it'd make sense for Bayleef and Glion to be females (for example) because of their affection towards Satoshi.

Let’s try others:
Brock:

1. Steelix: Male
  2. Geodude: Male
  3. Crobat: Female
  4. Comfey: Male
  5. Forretress: Female
  6. Ludicolo: Male
  7. Marshtomp: Male
  8. Vulpix: Female
Misty:

1. Psyduck: Male
  2. Corsola: Male
  3. Goldeen: Female
  4. Horsea: Female
  5. Politoed: Female
  6. Azurill: Female
  7. Togetic: Male
May:

1. Blaziken: Male
  2. Beautifly: Female
  3. Skitty: Female
  4. Munchlax: Male
  5. Wartole: Male
  6. Glaceon: Female
Dawn:

1. Buneary: Female
  2. Pachirisu: Female
  3. Mamoswine: Male
  4. Quilava: Male
  5. Ambipom: Female
Cilan:

1. Stunfisk: Male
  2. Crustle: Female
Clemont:

1. Chespin: Male
  2. Magnemite: Male
  3. Magnetron: Male
  4. Heliolisk: Female
Lana:

1. Primarina: Female
  2. Sandy: Female
Kiawe:

1. Charizard: Male
  2. Marowak: Male
Lillie:

1. Snowy: Female
Sophocles:

1. Vikavolt: Male
Goh:

1. Cinderace: Female
  2. Sobble: Male
Jessie:

1. Arbok: Male
  2. Serviper: Male
  3. Mimikyu: Male
James:

1. Weezing: Male
  2. Gyrados: Male
  3. Victreebell: Male
  4. Mime Jr.: Female
  5. Carnivine: Female
  6. Cacnea: Male
  7. Amoonguss: Female
Tell me what y’alls are.

Last edited:
Misty:
  • Psyduck- Male
  • Gyarados- Male
  • Corsola- Female
  • Goldeen- Female
  • Horsea- Female
  • Politoed- Male
  • Azurill- Male
  • Togetic- Male
  • Staryu and Starmie are genderless
Brock:
  • Steelix- Male
  • Geodude- Male
  • Crobat- Male
  • Forretress- Female
  • Ludicolo- Male
  • Marshtomp- Male
  • Vulpix- Female
  • Sudowoodo- Male (confirmed)
  • Croagunk- Male (confirmed)
  • Chansey- Female (the only gender this species can be)
  • Comfey- Female
May:
  • Blaziken- Male
  • Beautifly- Female
  • Skitty- Female
  • Venusaur- Female (confirmed by gender difference)
  • Munchkax- Male
  • Wartortle- Male
  • Glaceon- Male
Dawn:
  • Piplup- Male (confirmed)
  • Buneary- Female (confirmed)
  • Pachirisu- Female
  • Mamoswine- Male
  • Quilava- Male
  • Ambipom- Female (confirmed)
  • Togekiss- Female (confirmed)
Iris:
  • Axew- Male (confirmed)
  • Excadrill- Male (confirmed)
  • Emolga- Female (confirmed)
  • Dragonite- Male (confirmed)
  • Gible- Male (confirmed by gender difference)
Cilan:
  • Pansage- Male
  • Crustle- Female
  • Stunfisk- Male
Serena:
  • Braizen- Female (confirmed)
  • Pancham- Male (confirmed)
  • Sylveon- Female (confirmed)
Clemont:
  • Chespin- Male
  • Bunnelby- Male (confirmed)
  • Luxray- Male (confirmed by pre-evolution gender differences)
  • Heliolisk- Female
  • Magnemite and Magneton are genderless
Bonnie:
  • Dedenne- Male (confirmed)
Lillie:

• Snowy: Female (the event Vulpix based on this one implies it's female)
Lana:
  • Primarina- Female (wears a ribbon in the Ultra Guardians uniform, which only female Pokemon wore)
  • Sandy- Male (based on Partner Eevee, which was the first of its kind to showcase gender differences, and since Sandy's tail has the zigzag pattern instead of the heart pattern, I think it's reasonable to conclude that it's male)
Kiawe:
  • Turtonator- Male (confirmed)
  • Marowak- Female
  • Charizard- Male
Mallow:
  • Tsareena- Female (the only gender this species can be)
Sophocles:

• Togedemaru- Female (confirmed by Sohpocles himself)
  • Vikavolt- Male
Goh:

• Cinderace- Female
  • Sobble- Male
Chloe:
  • Yamper- Male (confirmed)
  • Eevee- Female (confirmed by gender difference)
Jessie:
  • Arbok- Male
  • Lickitung- Male
  • Wobbuffet- Male (confirmed)
  • Seviper- Male
  • Dustox- Female (confirmed)
  • Yanmega- Female (confirmed)
  • Woobat- Male (confirmed)
  • Frillish- Female (confirmed by gender difference)
  • Gourgeist- Female (confirmed)
  • Mimikyu- Male
James:
  • Weezing- Male
  • Glowlithe- Male
  • Victreebel- Male
  • Cacnea- Male
  • Chimecho- Female
  • Mime Jr.- Male
  • Carnivine- Male
  • Yamask- Male (confirmed)
  • Amoongus- Male
  • Inkay- Male
  • Mareanie- Female (confirmed)

I think All of Ash's Pokémon are Male except Snivy, Bayleef, Pidove, and possibly Lapras and Dragonite

Let’s try others:
Brock:

1. Steelix: Male
  2. Geodude: Male
  3. Crobat: Female
  4. Comfey: Male
  5. Forretress: Female
  6. Ludicolo: Male
  7. Marshtomp: Male
  8. Vulpix: Female
Misty:

1. Psyduck: Male
  2. Corsola: Male
  3. Goldeen: Female
  4. Horsea: Female
  5. Politoed: Female
  6. Azurill: Female
  7. Togetic: Male
May:

1. Blaziken: Male
  2. Beautifly: Female
  3. Skitty: Female
  4. Munchlax: Male
  5. Wartole: Male
  6. Glaceon: Female
Dawn:

1. Buneary: Female
  2. Pachirisu: Female
  3. Mamoswine: Male
  4. Quilava: Male
  5. Ambipom: Female
Cilan:

1. Stunfisk: Male
  2. Crustle: Female
Clemont:

1. Chespin: Male
  2. Magnemite: Male
  3. Magnetron: Male
  4. Heliolisk: Female
Lana:

1. Primarina: Female
  2. Sandy: Female
Kiawe:

1. Charizard: Male
  2. Marowak: Male
Lillie:

1. Snowy: Female
Sophocles:

1. Vikavolt: Male
Goh:

1. Cinderace: Female
  2. Sobble: Male
Jessie:

1. Arbok: Male
  2. Serviper: Male
  3. Mimikyu: Male
James:

1. Weezing: Male
  2. Gyrados: Male
  3. Victreebell: Male
  4. Mime Jr.: Female
  5. Carnivine: Female
  6. Cacnea: Male
  7. Amoonguss: Female
Tell me what y’alls are.
I agree with almost all of this except I think Sandy and Cinderace are both confirmed to be Male

One thing that I’ve always wondered though is, for the fact that most Pokémon Ash owns having a 50/50 split on the odds of what gender a Pokémon is sans his starters, why do they seem to be so hesitant on giving him Pokémon that are female? It honestly shouldn’t be this super rare occasion that it happens but instead a relatively normal occurrence. And why even hide the gender of most Pokémon period especially when Pokémon gender has been a mechanic since gen 2?

One thing that I’ve always wondered though is, for the fact that most Pokémon Ash owns having a 50/50 split on the odds of what gender a Pokémon is sans his starters, why do they seem to be so hesitant on giving him Pokémon that are female? It honestly shouldn’t be this super rare occasion that it happens but instead a relatively normal occurrence. And why even hide the gender of most Pokémon period especially when Pokémon gender has been a mechanic since gen 2?

Even after genders were introduced in Gen 2, it remained standard practice in official media to refer to all Pokémon as "it" for some reason. In the Pokémon style guide (a book which I believe was published as a guide for Pokémon Company employees to follow when creating official media), it says:

Even though some Pokémon have genders, never refer to them. Avoid gender-specific pronouns when possible and instead use "it." (It is Pikachu... Pikachu shook its head.)

It's strange that the Pokémon Company still likes to be ambiguous about Pokémon's genders (at least, outside of the games) but I suspect they made this decision either to remain consistent with the first two seasons of the anime (it would be strange to suddenly start referring to Ash's Pikachu as "he" or "she" after 116 episodes) or to avoid having to decide how to refer to genderless Pokémon. I'd be all for genderless Pokémon having "they" pronouns, but sadly I don't think the Pokémon Company is that progressive, or at least, they weren't at the start of the millenium when the decision was made. It's easier for them to just use "it" for all Pokémon and ignore the issue entirely.

As for Ash's Pokémon, in theory they each have a 50/50 (or whatever the ratio is for that species) chance of being male and female, unless their gender has already been confirmed or hinted at in an episode. That being said, NPCs in the games tend to end up catching Pokémon that match their own gender most of the time, so the same logic could apply to anime characters.

Another thing to take into account, for Pokémon introduced in the Diamond and Pearl series onwards, is gender differences. Ash's Gligar (before evolving into Gliscor, which doesn't have a gender difference) and Dawn's Mamoswine both look female to me, if you compare them to the game sprites.

I think it's a bit daft of Bulbapedia to list Ash's Butterfree's gender as "unknown" at this point, despite listing the Pink Butterfree's gender as female. The Pink Butterfree was given black wing markings (the female gender difference) in I Choose You! while Ash's Butterfree wasn't. I know the film takes place in an alternate timeline, but it adapts scenes from Bye-Bye Butterfree and I don't see what reason they would have for swapping the two Pokémon's genders around.

What gender do you think: Butterfree, Pidgeott, Bulbasaur, Charizard, Squirtle, Kingler, Primape, Muk, Mr. Mime, Lapras, Snorlax, Heracross, Quilava, Totodile, Noctowl, Donphan, Swellow, Sceptile, Torkoal, Glalie, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, Gilscor, Boldore, Greninja, Talonflame, Goodra, Rowlet, Lycanroc, Incineroar, Dragonite, Gengar, Lucario, and Farfetch'd are and why if you think of why then you don’t have to state a reason if you’re not sure.

Tauros, Buizel, Gible, Oshawott, Tepig, Scraggy, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Krookodile, Hawlucha, and Noivern are male. Bayleef, Unfezant, and Snivy are female.

Bulbasuar, Charizard, Squirtle, Totodile, Sceptile, Glalie, Greninja, and Rowlet are implied to male in the english dub but that’s not canon as they were never mentioned in the japanese version.

I have no problem with the gender implications of the dub. I typically lean on male but I do have a few as female.

Ashes influenced me to have Pidgeot and Swellow as female, and my own has Boldore be female. I could probably do Dragonite as female if I had to choose actively, and in my fanfic I could easily do that soon, but I typically default to male most for most of them.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom