• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Switch somehow ended up getting Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, FireRed and LeafGreen (via Virtual Console) as well as Let's Go Johto, alongside the original Let's Go, it would certainly be the most Kanto-heavy Nintendo console in history, huh?

He frequently mentions that he "hears" things, but given that his tweets are about both marketing schedules and game development, I find it pretty hard to believe that these are actual sources- two departments reporting to one guy, who's not even especially well-known online? (It'd be one thing if it was like an estimate of announcements from the developers or an advertiser learning about a release date being pushed back, especially if it was all the same game, but this guy's claiming to have heard a schedule for a Pokemon Direct and know about the size of a development team for a BOTW sequel, and how development is working on a Skyward Sword port, and Nintendo's next big IP- there's no way one person knows all of that)

And there's a lot of tweets where he says "Well, I wasn't wrong, development just changed" (x, x, x), which always raises a red flag for me.

Among his failed predictions includes:
  • New Pokemon Snap for November 20. Given that we've never heard anything since the initial announcement, this seems pretty far off the mark. It's not like COVID delays are a factor here, either, he made that claim in July.
  • "They plan to reveal all Pikmin games at once", but then "A new Pikmin game will be revealed in 2021" when Pikmin 3 deluxe was revealed on its own.
  • "A normal direct" in September, but all we got was the Mario direct and two mini directs. He said this in August, it'd be pretty wild for Nintendo to scrap a direct and make two different ones in just one month if they're the sort to plan out 2021 directs in November.
  • "The Switch Mini" instead of the Switch Lite. Surely someone who's able to find out about the development schedule for several big franchises should know the name of a console everyone was predicting already?
And sometimes he says he's just flat-out guessing. (He's got one set of tweets that's just reasons why he thinks a LoZ game should get a remake, another where he guesses about which date they'll make an announcement for a Mario game, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if some of these are just predictions that he phrases as if they're leaks, to get more attention.

Really just seems to me like this is a guy following development/announcements and making guesses off that. Which is a lot better than fake 4Channers, but not quite worth banking on IMO.

That just makes the absence of Fire-types all the more strange, lol. "We will include every Pokemon but you can not have access to this type outside of one Pokemon (two if it's your starter) until the end of the game"
Which is why I’m hoping that a remake uses the platinum dex as it had more fire types aside from the chimchar and ponyta lines.

I just don't want them to limit Pokemon to just Gens 1-4, it's actually one of the things I liked about ORAS is the fact that you can get post-Gen 3 Pokemon. Plus there are plenty of post-Gen 4 Fire-types to choose from to be included as wild Pokemon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFz_ZEowBog

Not a fan of ADrive, but the Tweets he's covering are all from leakers that have been correct on things in the past.

TL;DW: All of them point towards DP remakes, with one of them even outright saying that GF might implement Let's Go mechanics into the main games. Keyword: 'Might' implement it, not confirmed (if true, hopefully only the good stuff).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET-tscUVru0&t=314s&ab_channel=RuffledRowlit

Meanwhile, RuffledRowlit showed a few Twitter posts talking about next year being a year for a remake happening, along with the sequel for Detective Pikachu, more Pokemon UNITE content, and New Pokemon Snap. Although, a deleted tweet says a Pokemon collection will happen instead of more Pokemon UNITE content.

While he did draw the conclusion that the remake will be Gen 4, I'm going to keep being cautiously optimistic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET-tscUVru0&t=314s&ab_channel=RuffledRowlit

Meanwhile, RuffledRowlit showed a few Twitter posts talking about next year being a year for a remake happening, along with the sequel for Detective Pikachu, more Pokemon UNITE content, and New Pokemon Snap. Although, a deleted tweet says a Pokemon collection will happen instead of more Pokemon UNITE content.

While he did draw the conclusion that the remake will be Gen 4, I'm going to keep being cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, they're referencing one another.

By the way, some internetters are pointing out that the Pokémon collection thing is a translation-error and that it should instead translate to 'UNITE'. Not sure if true, though.

Anyway, with so many (credible) leakers pointing out the same thing, well...

Worried about the dex and the potential Let's Go mechanics, though.

Yeah, they're referencing one another.

By the way, some internetters are pointing out that the Pokémon collection thing is a translation-error and that it should instead translate to 'UNITE'. Not sure if true, though.

Anyway, with so many (credible) leakers pointing out the same thing, well...

Worried about the dex and the potential Let's Go mechanics, though.
Honestly, I just hope the only thing from Let's Go that makes it in is the Pokemon riding mechanic.

I just don't want them to limit Pokemon to just Gens 1-4, it's actually one of the things I liked about ORAS is the fact that you can get post-Gen 3 Pokemon. Plus there are plenty of post-Gen 4 Fire-types to choose from to be included as wild Pokemon.

I can definitely see them doing this the only question which Fire-types would be added?

Best case scenario; The information might come from third parties which may or may not know of Pokémon Day plans, seeing as all those titles are almost continually mentioned in one breath, as if it's from some sort of announcement. That day may be the earliest one to give us new info on a mainline RPG.

I don't expect the remakes to include every species that was available in the original's post game because of Dexit. And that wouldn't be unprecedented either, there's multiple Pokemon from Emerald that weren't available in ORAS:

-Hoothoot/Noctowl
-Ledyba/Ledian
-Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos
-Sudowoodo
-Wooper
-Gligar
-Snubbull/Granbull
-Shuckle
-Teddiursa/Ursaring
-Houndour/Houndoom
-Smeargle
-Miltank

I expect they'll just cut the dongle method (and maybe swarms) and shuffle around the availability to distribute the remaining Pokemon not in SwSh throughout the game and there's similarly going to be some Pokemon that were available in DPPt's post game that won't be available in the remakes. I fully expect all 210 Pokemon from Platinum's Sinnoh Dex to make the cut though.

Considering ORAS were remakes of Ruby/Sapphire instead of Emerald, have there been any species that were removed in terms of availability compared to RS?

I'd imagine the remakes should at least have all of Gens 1-4 because the original games had them all coded in. Dex-wise I'd hope they used Platinum's considering DP's dex excluding various Gen 4 Pokemon is just plain stupid, that and the lack of Fire-types.

I really hope they learned from ORAS and HGSS in that the DP remakes should definitely include the more important features that Platinum introduced such as Dex expansion, Battle Frontier, etc.
I agree, but considering the series' current trajectory I don't expect we'll see the Battle Frontier or similar features anytime soon. I suspect part of why Sw/Sh made levelling and improving Pokémon so easy is so they can just point to competitive MP.

I agree, but considering the series' current trajectory I don't expect we'll see the Battle Frontier or similar features anytime soon. I suspect part of why Sw/Sh made levelling and improving Pokémon so easy is so they can just point to competitive MP.
I’m hoping that things have changed now that things such as IVs, Natures, Egg Moves, Abilities, Hidden Abilities, EXP, and EVs have been more streamlined. It’s more possible now than ever to engage in tough post-game facilities. The Battle Tower in SwSh even offered rental teams.

Considering ORAS were remakes of Ruby/Sapphire instead of Emerald, have there been any species that were removed in terms of availability compared to RS?

The only species that were available at all in the original RS were the ones in the Hoenn Dex, so no, none of those got left out of ORAS. The only change that ORAS made to the Hoenn Dex was adding in any cross-gen evolutions.

I’m hoping that things have changed now that things such as IVs, Natures, Egg Moves, Abilities, Hidden Abilities, EXP, and EVs have been more streamlined. It’s more possible now than ever to engage in tough post-game facilities. The Battle Tower in SwSh even offered rental teams.

Thing is though, they've been streamlining and simplifying that stuff for several generations now. I mean the Battle Resort is literally designed for hatching eggs efficiently. The DexNav made Hidden Abilities and Egg Moves easier to obtain, Blissey Bases covered Exp. needs, and Super Training was there to help work on EVs. They didn't scrap the Battle Frontier in ORAS because that stuff was too impenetrable, they scrapped it because most people never bothered with it, and because that's a lot of work to sink into something that only a tiny percentage of the player base is going to engage with. Plus, in some sense, a feature like the Frontier just isn't really needed anymore - on the DS (where the system's Wi-Fi capabilities were still rather limited, requiring either a WEP connection or a specific Nintendo periphery device) and especially on the GBA (where multiplayer extends only as far as the literal length of a Game Link Cable), it made sense, because once you beat the game, there's not really any battling left to do unless you have friends you can play with. Since battling is one of the core elements of the game, obviously having a really challenging and in-depth battle facility helps solve this. But these days, most people can hop online with ease and be hooked up to battle someone in a matter of minutes, and complementary to that, GF/TPC constantly host their own official tournaments that offer valuable rewards. And with that in mind, it also makes sense that GF would want to continue catering to the competitive players by improving EVs, IVs, and all of that stuff even without the presence of a Battle Frontier equivalent. I definitely believe that Game Freak care about their actual competitive scene, to which all of those improvements are still relevant.

I understand that competitive multiplayer is not everyone's jam - I'm not really into it myself - and that some people want a more in-depth single-player challenge, but for Game Freak, that segment of the player base seems to be a very small minority. They've thrown us a bone here and there with things like the Battle Agency and Restricted Sparring, but the reality is that difficult, gimmicky battle modes just don't seem to be popular enough to warrant a large developmental investment.

I’m not sure I agree with the assessment that people wouldn’t really use the BF. I don’t think this is a case of a vocal minority; I’ve seen a lot of disapproval for the removal of the Hoenn Battle Frontier. People really missed it.

Even compared to gen 6, achieving the competitive-ready status needed to succeed in the BF has become easier by leaps and bounds. I think the value of difficult single-player modes is underestimated. The extra rules and characters that the BF added were (admittedly subjectively) fun and memorable even back when getting to competitive-levels was extremely difficult (except the Battle Palace; screw that place).

Actually, the only thing stopping me personally from doing any kind of competitive training right now despite all of these streamlined improvements, is that there’s not much to do with a competitive team in single player. I even simply used a rental team to get through the Battle Tower.

I’m not sure I agree with the assessment that people wouldn’t really use the BF. I don’t think this is a case of a vocal minority; I’ve seen a lot of disapproval for the removal of the Hoenn Battle Frontier. People really missed it.

Even compared to gen 6, achieving the competitive-ready status needed to succeed in the BF has become easier by leaps and bounds. I think the value of difficult single-player modes is underestimated. The extra rules and characters that the BF added were (admittedly subjectively) fun and memorable even back when getting to competitive-levels was extremely difficult (except the Battle Palace; screw that place).

Actually, the only thing stopping me personally from doing any kind of competitive training right now despite all of these streamlined improvements, is that there’s not much to do with a competitive team in single player. I even simply used a rental team to get through the Battle Tower.
There's that, but GF may decide to be too lazy to put the BF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom