• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN046: Battle and Catch! The Revival of Mewtwo

as always no reads what im saying
what I'm saying
Pikachu has lost easily but his power is greater than Goh Bunny.
Pikachu should have last longer in the battle then Goh fire rabbit pokemon

Genuine question: why not?

Because he's too big a star. Masachika Ichimura's not that well known to us Westerners because he doesn't have a bunch of anime voiceover work on his resume but he is an absolute TITAN in the world of Japanese theater. He's had leading roles in plays like Jesus Christ Superstar, West Side Story, Cats, Phantom of the Opera (his performance in this one is what originally caught director Kunihiko Yuyama's eye, apparently), Miss Saigon, Sweeny Todd, Scrooge, tons of Shakespeare, and many, many more. Even if you don't know a lick of Japanese a quick glance at his stage resume here reveals that this man's done a lot of theater.

He's also been in a lot of Japanese movies and TV shows over the years, though most of those, like his stage shows, have only really been seen by Japanese audiences.

I suppose a rough equivalent of him in the U.S. would be someone like Nathan Lane or James Earl Jones or, if you want someone more contemporary, Lin-Manuel Miranda. Maybe TPCi could pull some strings and snag one of those actors for a single movie or TV special, sure, but a whole story arc? Yeah, that'd be next to impossible.

It's the same with Masachika Ichimura and Mewtwo.

Because he's too big a star. Masachika Ichimura's not that well known to us Westerners because he doesn't have a bunch of anime voiceover work on his resume but he is an absolute TITAN in the world of Japanese theater. He's had leading roles in plays like Jesus Christ Superstar, West Side Story, Cats, Phantom of the Opera (his performance in this one is what originally caught director Kunihiko Yuyama's eye, apparently), Miss Saigon, Sweeny Todd, Scrooge, tons of Shakespeare, and many, many more. Even if you don't know a lick of Japanese a quick glance at his stage resume here reveals that this man's done a lot of theater.

He's also been in a lot of Japanese movies and TV shows over the years, though most of those, like his stage shows, have only really been seen by Japanese audiences.

I suppose a rough equivalent of him in the U.S. would be someone like Nathan Lane or James Earl Jones or, if you want someone more contemporary, Lin-Manuel Miranda. Maybe TPCi could pull some strings and snag one of those actors for a single movie or TV special, sure, but a whole story arc? Yeah, that'd be next to impossible.

It's the same with Masachika Ichimura and Mewtwo.
Thanks for confirming. I checked his IMDB after your initial post and he seemed to be a very prominent actor (rather than primarily a VA), but not being familiar with Japanese cinema I was reluctant to post anything because I wasn't sure if they were big roles or not.

That doesn't sound like enough justification to me. Especially since Giovanni no longer remembers it.

If this is truly Mewtwo's only appearance it's for the best that TR weren't involved. It would have taken away time from Ash and Go vs. Mewtwo

Using Mewtwo for a remember your goals episode is in my opinion a waste of time, speciall knowing his background and his relation with Mew.

Definitely would have preferred an arc featuring Mewtwo and TR, but for a singular episode I don’t think a plot involving both could have been very well executed or developed.

I do want to point out, though, that just bc Giovanni doesn’t have memories of Mewtwo doesn’t mean he wasn’t evil enough to create it and attempt to enslave it in the first place. So I wouldn’t find it inappropriate to see him or TR involved in a Mewtwo plot.

Definitely would have preferred an arc featuring Mewtwo and TR, but for a singular episode I don’t think a plot involving both could have been very well executed or developed.

I do want to point out, though, that just bc Giovanni doesn’t have memories of Mewtwo doesn’t mean he wasn’t evil enough to create it and attempt to enslave it in the first place. So I wouldn’t find it inappropriate to see him or TR involved in a Mewtwo plot.
Mewtwo already got rid of Giovanni once. I think it deserves a peace of mind about that man.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom