• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Mappy is a police officer, so he could use police weapons. He already has a baton, give him a gun and a taser. For something from his game(s), they could incorporate opening doors and the sonic waves.

I think that Crash Bandicoot R is at the same time a "remaster" and a remake. For sure the game was built from the ground up, not just graphically but also gameplay. However, crash not tries build up a new experience. On the contrary, the new game tries to stay true to the original game. The gameplay looks very similar, only with a few tweaks, the same for history, phases and any other elements of the game.

The real purpose the game is invite us to the revisit Wumpa islands in a more polished and graphically enhanced game that, gameplay-wise, is as close as possible and desirable to the original. Crash and Spyro prove that to achieve a "great remaster" is often smarter make a "new game".

In summary, Crash Bandicoot R succeed, it is a very good game, just like the original.

Last edited:
Since news regarding Nintendo cease and desisting Big House and their tournament because of use of Slippi, I would like to write this since this is going to end up as the unpopular opinion.

F--- Super Smash Bros. Melee at this point. It is so overrated at this point and now since their tournament is cancel their now acting like entitled cry babies when Nintendo is arguably entirely justified and right in their reasoning since they do not enjoy people using emulation of their products. I know it's a poor decision during the pandemic, but Big House, who had their tournament sponsored by Nintendo before this could of just delayed the Melee tournament until a later date when we are out of the pandemic but they were the ones who went against Nintendo's policy against using stuff against this but everyone is crying that Nintendo screw them over when they did it to themselves.

Emulation and modding is a heated topic I would personally not like to get into, but for personal use for single player games I don't mind (in fact I greatly enjoy the Zelda and Linkle Mods for Breath of the Wild despite not using mods and emulations myself) but on a platform as (no pun intended) big as Big House and the Melee competitive scene is, they are technically promoting piracy with the approval of a big if the not the biggest First-party video game company, invalidating all the hard work that everyone who help made the game you love in the first place. I know a lot of love and work goes into fan-games and stuff like Slippi, but if you could put all the work into stuff like that, why couldn't you just make your own game?

I mean what is so great about Melee that it's worth playing twenty years laters and breaking Nintendo's rules over? Playing the exact three or four characters cause they're the only viable ones for a tournament, playing on only four stages cause hazards ruin everything apparently, and playing with wavedashing cause playing any other way is wrong when playing competitively? It doesn't even have good roster in my opinion (Smash 4 in my opinion had the best roster before Ultimate brought back everyone), it's not like any of them get any focus by them cause none of them are broken like Marth or Fox.

And now because of this, everyone says Nintendo doesn't do anything for their fans and just ruined everything. Uh what? I know they make a lot of poor decisions, but they do a lot for the fans, look at Ultimate alone; the game was entirely optimized for competitive fans in mind, adopted fan terms for attack options, a no hazard option and FD/Battlefield variants of every stage, gave you the most wanted characters in the roster like Ridley, and Nintendo themselves not Sakurai gave you freaking Banjo and Steve (despite also in my opinion, neither really deserve the spot after bad responses to other characters not being said characters). Not to mention doing a lot in response to fan outcry beyond Smash; Earthbound was finally re-release due to fan outcry, the same can be said for Mother 1, reintroducing Splatfest in Splatoon 2 (probably also reintroduced to help deal with the pandemic), not to mention the entire Hero Mode story of Splatoon 2 was decided by the fans and a lot more beyond that.

The fact Nintendo is being attack over something arguably not their fault in the first place and being against their fans is bullshit in my opinion if you haven't done the research. This Melee thing is now becoming the new toxic #BringBackNationalDex (no offense to non-toxic users of that movement). Sorry you can't play the game you've been playing exactly the same exact way for twenty years but sorry Melee community it's your fault your tournament was canceled when you could've waited or played an online game specifically made for you. Now you have to drag everything else about Nintendo down cause only your one game was ruined.

I'm sorry if I'm being overly harsh if you really enjoy Melee, especially competitive Melee but it's really making a big deal over something that was their fault to begin with.

I would enjoy if NIntendo would actively embrace their modding commuting like Mojang has done for MineCraft, making an app for them to channel it through legally like the aforementioned Zelda and Linkle mods for BOTW would be great, but I know why Nintendo does this stuff and it's arguably entirely right on their part in my opinion.

Just because it’s in their right doesn’t make it okay though, like it was in their right to not let cash money or regulations into their esports, but by doing so they allowed the worst community to pop up, like look at other fighting games, they sponser their own tourneys and give penalties of varying quality depending on offense, by letting people take matters into their own hands it just enabled this sort of behaviour imo. Basically I’m more for nintendo sponserint their own tourneys if they wanna take others down. Either that or you know, release the game again on a modern platform, because the online service was created due to how hard it is to get a copy of the game and play it, let alone play it during a pandemic.

Just because it’s in their right doesn’t make it okay though, like it was in their right to not let cash money or regulations into their esports, but by doing so they allowed the worst community to pop up, like look at other fighting games, they sponser their own tourneys and give penalties of varying quality depending on offense, by letting people take matters into their own hands it just enabled this sort of behaviour imo. Basically I’m more for nintendo sponserint their own tourneys if they wanna take others down. Either that or you know, release the game again on a modern platform, because the online service was created due to how hard it is to get a copy of the game and play it, let alone play it during a pandemic.
But they know for a fact Nintendo doesn't like these things and they were asked to not use Slippi directly by Nintendo themselves but ignored it which led to the Cease and desist by them, the only reason there's no Big House is because of Big House themselves. I mean why does it have to be a tournament about Melee where the players often use to the same playstyles and characters like Fox/Falco, Sheik, Marth, Yoshi, Ice Climbers and sometimes Peach? This pandemic as gotten everyone's creative juices flowing then why not be creative? Make it a race or something do something unique that can also be done online without an online connection to another person. Why does it have to be the same style they've been playing since Melee's inception? Melee's gotten boring cause it always the same characters, always the same stages, always the same asshole players. If they did something other than Slippi and a simple Smash tournament, I would be actually interested in Melee again, but in my opinion they got their just desserts. We're in a pandemic people are dying left and right, and they are caring more about something that could've been delayed or something that could be turned into creatively awesome and yet we still have the purest Melee mentality since Brawl released.

I agree with Ryoma Master on this one. Seeing the same playstyles and characters over and over again 100% makes watching competitive plays boring. Smash Ultimate has the most diverse roster in the entire series, why ignore the game when it has all characters from Melee and more? Just because of some glitch or exploit? That's not enough to justify ignoring the feats of the game that has outdone Melee in many aspects, especially since online is just so much easier and safer to access at this point. No need for hacks or mods to include online, just use the game that includes online natively.

I also agree with Poke Dragon and Ryoma Master to a point. The biggest reason why Melee is still around nowadays in the competitive scene is because it's mechanically and fundamentally different than the other Smash games since then. Although Ultimate is a much more balanced, refined, interesting game, it still lacks a lot of features of which Melee has that makes it appealing to fans of more technical competitive fighters. But I personally think that the lust for Melee in the current competitive scene is annoying, toxic, and splits the overall fanbase in a way that really hurts the Smash fan community. That's probably my "unpopular video game opinion" per the point of the thread, regarding this topic.

What I don't think is an unpopular video game opinion, though, is the incredibly anti-consumer stance that Nintendo has on its legacy content, specifically with regards to the GameCube era. From what I can see across the internet, nostalgia for the GameCube era of Nintendo is at an all-time high. Prices for GameCube games are out of control; it's growing near IMPOSSIBLE to find ANY physical GameCube disks, even at local and used game stores; Nintendo isn't making a CENT from any of this. Yet Nintendo refuses to acknowledge this demand and make this content available to the general public. It's for reasons like this that people create these mods like Slippi and search and use online ROMs and whatnot. And I think that if Nintendo is going to answer its customers that want to consume their content with cease and desist orders, they need to back it up by providing that content *in the way that consumers want it* in a legal modern format to discourage the misuse of that content in the first place.

Like, seriously, what's preventing Nintendo from releasing all of its legacy content on the Switch? With the release of Super Mario 3D All-Stars, there are games from every one of Nintendo's major home consoles on the Switch in their native format with relatively little extra work in the porting (NES/SNES: Nintendo Switch Online, N64: SM64/Doom 64/Turok, GC: SMS, Wii: Galaxy, Wii U: All of the ports). Look at XBOX. GamePass provides XBOX owners with a TON of legacy content provided on their modern console for a decent price and they are making a ton of investment off of that. What is stopping Nintendo from doing that? The NES/SNES capability is a start, and the value of that legacy content has improved throughout the time the service has been online, but people have been clamoring for a larger legacy N64 library since the Wii days and GC Virtual Console capabilities since the beginning of the Wii U days. There are HUGE profits to be made there, but Nintendo refuses to make that effort. Whether or not others may pan that out as a Nintendo fanboy that's complaining, that is still extremely anti-consumer to me when you have a competitor in the market doing that exact thing using a system that has huge benefits for both the consumer and the producer.

I can see why most DS and 3DS games would be hard to port to the Switch since they were inherently coded for those systems, but it's perfectly doable to port Nintendo games of other consoles to the Switch with just a little reworking like mapping new button options. This is part of the reason why the original Super Mario 64 was chosen over its DS remake despite the DS remake having 3 more characters to play as and more Stars to collect (aside from the original being more well-known and more nostalgic).

I can see why most DS and 3DS games would be hard to port to the Switch since they were inherently coded for those systems, but it's perfectly doable to port Nintendo games of other consoles to the Switch with just a little reworking like mapping new button options.

Yeah. I know Rune Factory 4 recently got a Switch port that was very well received, but that's the only one I can think of, which makes me wonder how Atlus is going to make games like Etrian Odyssey for the Switch. That series relies heavily on map-making and the touch screen.

I can see why most DS and 3DS games would be hard to port to the Switch since they were inherently coded for those systems, but it's perfectly doable to port Nintendo games of other consoles to the Switch with just a little reworking like mapping new button options. This is part of the reason why the original Super Mario 64 was chosen over its DS remake despite the DS remake having 3 more characters to play as and more Stars to collect (aside from the original being more well-known and more nostalgic).
Well, considering the DS game didn't exactly need the touchscreen (aside from the minigames), I feel they could have adapted that.

See's two people mess up the second half of his username again: "Ugh, this so old now."

Like, seriously, what's preventing Nintendo from releasing all of its legacy content on the Switch? With the release of Super Mario 3D All-Stars, there are games from every one of Nintendo's major home consoles on the Switch in their native format with relatively little extra work in the porting (NES/SNES: Nintendo Switch Online, N64: SM64/Doom 64/Turok, GC: SMS, Wii: Galaxy, Wii U: All of the ports). Look at XBOX. GamePass provides XBOX owners with a TON of legacy content provided on their modern console for a decent price and they are making a ton of investment off of that. What is stopping Nintendo from doing that? The NES/SNES capability is a start, and the value of that legacy content has improved throughout the time the service has been online, but people have been clamoring for a larger legacy N64 library since the Wii days and GC Virtual Console capabilities since the beginning of the Wii U days. There are HUGE profits to be made there, but Nintendo refuses to make that effort. Whether or not others may pan that out as a Nintendo fanboy that's complaining, that is still extremely anti-consumer to me when you have a competitor in the market doing that exact thing using a system that has huge benefits for both the consumer and the producer.
I strongly suspect Nintendo will be releasing a N64 and GameCube online sometime soon, since I think in a recent Switch update datamine they found data related to both systems in there. I think some of the reasons it's taking so long is because the games of both consoles weren't originally designed to be basically cloud games nor online. Gamecube might have a slight edge, since it was originally designed to be online before it was scrapped (no, I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP, Gamecube almost had an online function) but really a lot of games that could benefit from online don't have it programed in and will have to be optimized for it which I imagine may be tricky, especially for games like Double Dash with two people controlling one cart.

Yeah. I know Rune Factory 4 recently got a Switch port that was very well received, but that's the only one I can think of, which makes me wonder how Atlus is going to make games like Etrian Odyssey for the Switch. That series relies heavily on map-making and the touch screen.
First off, The World Ends with You was ported/remade for Switch by Square Enix and they tried their best to replicate the Touch screen with the Joycons and can only be played dock or mobile with joy cons disconnected (I'm unsure about the latter). I haven't played either version myself so I can't speak for it, but I've heard it's a bit to pretty awkward. Pretty much the only thing from the DS/3DS is games that didn't used the touchscreen heavily like an RPG or something that can be easily reconfigure to a new setup like Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance was and I think Kid Icarus Uprising can be easily updated to use another control scheme.

Also Altus porting things to Switch is unlikely in my opinion, especially since despite having Joker in Smash, they yet to port the Persona games there to take advantage of their new audience. Seems like Switch and other Nintendo systems is just their testing ground and their permanent home for Shin Megami Tensei.

~~~

But now for the actual topic for this thread to get this back on track.

-While I do enjoy the multiple paths set up Fire Emblem: Three Houses had (and by extension Fates though I've never played any of them), I do wish we went back to the single story set up we had pre-Fates instead of three separate stories. I'm personally hoping the next game in the series will be Naval based since we've haven't really seen that in a Fire Emblem game in any major way (yes, I want Water Emblem) and I really want to see FE's take on Naval Combat, which I think neither would work well with the multiple story set-up we currently have.

-Also Fire Emblem and Smash related, I don't mind the many Fire Emblem characters on the roster but I do wish there was no more for the time being, however I am open to them adding at least one more character if said character is Anna. Since Anna is essentially the mascot of the franchise in my opinion more than Marth and Tiki, the fact she hasn't been added to Smash in some more major form like Marth as fighter or Tiki as a Assist Trophy is blasphemous in my opinion. Which is why if FE is to get one more fighter, Anna should be said character, hopefully based on her Warriors incarnation as that is my personal favorite design for her and honestly the best version of Anna the character.

-Ace Attorney Justice For All; I actually liked Turnabout Big Top and I feel like it gets to much hate especially when the point of the game after it is that Phoenix should not rely on Mia through Maya when he does almost entirely throughout the game even when he shouldn't when in this case he never relies on her and defeats Franziska Von Karma with his own merits. Besides without Big Top we wouldn't have the best case in the series (AA Investigations 2 Case 5).
-Outside of Shelly de Killer and the major twist of that case as well as the actions of both Edgeworth and Franziska, I don't really like Farewell, My Turnabout and considered it one of my least favorite cases in the series.
-Also regarding Franziska Von Karma, she's one of my favorite prosecutors in the series and I'm upset we haven't seen her since the Timeskip, arguably Edgeworth's presence in Spirit of Justice (particularly their final Case, Turnabout Revolution) could have easily been her and would've fit better in my opinion.

Last edited:
-Also regarding Franziska Von Karma, she's one of my favorite prosecutors in the series and I'm upset we haven't seen since the Timeskip, arguably Edgeworth's presence in Spirit of Justice could have easily been her and would've fit better in my opinion.
To rub salt in that wound, she (along with Phoenix) were considered for Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and while they could think a moveset for her, they couldn't think anything for Phoenix at the time, so both were scrapped. A shame, though, since I would have liked her to be in a fighting game...

The reveal in the ending to Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory is not as bad as everybody says it is. The wording used for the concepts are terrible and entirely fail to convey the meaning, but it does make sense conceptually if you just stop and think about what's being said for a few seconds.

First off, The World Ends with You was ported/remade for Switch by Square Enix and they tried their best to replicate the Touch screen with the Joycons and can only be played dock or mobile with joy cons disconnected (I'm unsure about the latter).
Actually I'm pretty sure you can use the touch screen when undocked, and from what I've heard it makes the whole thing infinitely better (though still not great because the Switch touch screen was not designed for such a function).

The Eerie Staircase in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon does not bother me one bit. In fact, I did a run and the total amount of normal ghosts that you can defeat is 20, which means there are a total of 30 stairs to get to the top. Just that 20 of them will send you back to the beginning since only one in a set of each three will be the one that will allow you to continue climbing. All of the 20 wrong stairs will spawn a ghost only once and the normal ghost enemy will only spawn if you picked the wrong flight of stairs first.

I just find the whole thing hilarious, to be honest.

I don't understand how Crash has managed to compete with Playstation buddy Spyro let alone other mascots. You're just getting to the end of each level while breaking every crate and dealing with obstacles on the way. I know Mario, Sonic, and Kirby do the same thing, but those are simply more appealing.

As much as I like the concept of Mega Man, I find the game play quite unforgiving. One such thing is falling down a pit only to meet the instant death spikes which you could've survived if you'd gone to the side, but how were you supposed to know that ahead of time?

I rarely use heavyweights in Mario Kart.

I use Flurrie from Paper Mario 2 more often than most who've played the game. She has some very helpful effects and range on her attacks.

I don't understand how Crash has managed to compete with Playstation buddy Spyro let alone other mascots. You're just getting to the end of each level while breaking every crate and dealing with obstacles on the way. I know Mario, Sonic, and Kirby do the same thing, but those are simply more appealing.

For nintendo enthusiasts, crammed with mario-related games and content, so can seem. However, for those not familiar with the Nintendo universe, Crash was a very great substitute. And at least the character, by itself, is more likeable than Mario. Furthermore, Crash not has managed to compete with its buddy Spyro for Playstation not official mascot title. In fact, it was the other way around. While sypro is certainly successful, Crash Bandicoot was bigger hit in their times.

Lastly, although both games can fall into the same genre, they are substantially different and require different skills. One is more open game, with areas to be explored, require more wise orientation and know how to navigate. The other is more fast-paced, with linear phases, requires better coordination and reflex-based actions. In other words, the games do not necessarily compete with each other. Instead, there is room for both to shine.

Last edited:
whenever someone says a game is a good game but not a good X game, that shouldn't be a sign to not like it, series formulas are overrated and if it's a good game I'll still play it

read: banjo nuts and bolts or the devil may cry reboot.

whenever someone says a game is a good game but not a good X game, that shouldn't be a sign to not like it, series formulas are overrated and if it's a good game I'll still play it

read: banjo nuts and bolts or the devil may cry reboot.
I agree with the base concept, but imo the distinction is still a good thing. If you go into a game expecting it to be like others in the series even though it's not, you're just gonna be disappointed. Better to check your expectations at the door and go in prepared for something different.

Back
Top Bottom