• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

I think we are getting Pokemon Unite and New Pokemon Snap releasedate (Pokemon Unite February/March, New Pokemon Snap July/August releasedate, in May we are getting the announcement for DP remakes).
I heard from people that DP remakes may be released in 2021 or 2022.

I see lot people assuming South Korea to be a future region,but as a native I don’t think that will happen nor want it. First of all,they have plenty of region materials already (Australia,Canada,Italy,Germany,Western USA etc....) And if they still manage to make Korean region,they may depict our nation in inaccurate and biased way (Due to complex relationship) which not only rages Pokefans over here,but can give wrong image of South Korea internationally.

I see lot people assuming South Korea to be a future region,but as a native I don’t think that will happen nor want it. First of all,they have plenty of region materials already (Australia,Canada,Italy,Germany,Western USA etc....) And if they still manage to make Korean region,they may depict our nation in inaccurate and biased way (Due to complex relationship) which not only rages Pokefans over here,but can give wrong image of South Korea internationally.
The same could be said about literally any region, though. They specifically brought in a British individual to direct the art style of sword and shield, I feel like they can and should do the same with other regions to keep things as realistic and accurate as possible.

The same could be said about literally any region, though. They specifically brought in a British individual to direct the art style of sword and shield, I feel like they can and should do the same with other regions to keep things as realistic and accurate as possible.
So I guess Game Freak could partner with South Korean individuals and companies alike if they decide to make the Korean Peninsula the basis of the Gen 9 region...

I don't think GF will want to touch China, Korea, Taiwan due to the political dynamics as well as border disputes.
China has a rule you have to show the map of china whole and complete, so including tibet, xinjiang, hong Kong, and (they claim taiwan). Saying oh it's not exactly China, it's Pokechina, wouldn't wash with the CCP, and any games that didn't do that would likely be banned there.

Similarly, how would a game on the Korean peninsula work, would it be just S. Korea, or both N. Korea and S. Korea. Either way your bound to ruffle a lot of feathers.

I don't know why people have such strong convictions about this. Korean culture is very popular in Japan and for years there have been several anime and manga set in Korea with Korean heroes - some of which required joint production between Japan/South Korean studios.

Thus to say that GameFreak would definitively "never" touch Korea is as ludicrous to me as saying they would never base a Region off of America because of WWII as well and we saw how Gen V turned out. :unsure:

Receipts?

How about a region based on an African country. South Africa (along with the small land locked countries Swaziland and Lesotho within it) would be a great choice in my opinion as it has the perfect geography for a Pokemon region. Heck I went there for a study abroad trip my freshman year in college.

Attachments

• 1425795A-5B54-4889-9747-07B8A4F8D319.jpeg
    1425795A-5B54-4889-9747-07B8A4F8D319.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 32
  • 48BFC9FD-2D75-47EE-AFE5-87E98F0B3CD2.jpeg
    48BFC9FD-2D75-47EE-AFE5-87E98F0B3CD2.jpeg
    862.1 KB · Views: 40
  • F1022039-8844-4086-B570-D9132E017FD9.jpeg
    F1022039-8844-4086-B570-D9132E017FD9.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 0045ADB7-B5D0-45A1-9D27-EA2F43B11091.jpeg
    0045ADB7-B5D0-45A1-9D27-EA2F43B11091.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 26
China has a rule you have to show the map of china whole and complete, so including tibet, xinjiang, hong Kong, and (they claim taiwan). Saying oh it's not exactly China, it's Pokechina, wouldn't wash with the CCP, and any games that didn't do that would likely be banned there.
Not to mention that any game that portrays the CCP in a negative way could also get banned in mainland China...

How about a region based on an African country. South Africa (along with the small land locked countries Swaziland and Lesotho within it) would be a great choice in my opinion as it has the perfect geography for a Pokemon region. Heck I went there for a study abroad trip my freshman year in college.

It's highly unlikely we'll see any African region anytime soon. Game Freak is more likely to choose areas with a high player base, and most of that entire continent can't afford a video game. No offense to anyone living there that does happen to be a Pokemon fan and can afford a video game, but most Africans have bigger issues to worry about than when their region will be represented in Pokemon. I think if any African country has a realistic chance of being represented it's Egypt, Egypt is more iconic and recognizable because of its place in world history, but even that might be lower on the priority list than some of the other countries mentioned.

I've been dying for an Australia region, personally. Australia basically has everything you could ask for in a Pokemon region-- deserts, the Great Barrier Reef, rainforests, cool landmarks (the Sydney Opera House, Uluru, the Sydney Harbor Bridge), plus animals that are so weird they're practically Pokemon already (platypuses, echidnas, thorny devils, wombats, lungfish)!

Plus, it would give an excuse for us to have a proper kangaroo Pokemon-- the only thing kangaroo-like about Kangaskhan is its pouch.

Last edited:
I've been dying for an Australia region, personally. Australia basically has everything you could ask for in a Pokemon region-- deserts, the Great Barrier Reef, rainforests, cool landmarks (the Sydney Opera House, Uluru, the Sydney Harbor Bridge), plus animals that are so weird they're practically Pokemon already (platypuses, echidnas, thorny devils, wombats, lungfish)!

Plus, it would give an excuse for us to have a proper kangaroo Pokemon-- the only thing kangaroo-like about Kangaskhan is its pouch.

Not to mention it can give us some awesome fossil Pokemon. I’d love to see fossils based on something like the marsupial lion or the megalania.

Attachments

• C1A27C2D-F23E-426E-AEE4-A487415358C2.jpeg
    C1A27C2D-F23E-426E-AEE4-A487415358C2.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 9C93ED66-CCD7-41D1-B6F7-33906E1031C6.jpeg
    9C93ED66-CCD7-41D1-B6F7-33906E1031C6.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 27
In an Australian region, I hope we get regional forms for Seviper and Zangoose, with Zangoose getting traits from the honey badger since that's a mammal that's immune or at least very resistant to poison or at least venom.

Doesn't Zangoose already have Immunity?
Then they could make a new honey badger Pokemon, and instead of it being the predator of Seviper, maybe it can be the predator of Vespiquen and Beedril because honey badgers don't care about being stung at all.

I have thought about this, and an open world region based on Ancient Rome or Classical Italy would be nice too. A very centric region that could also connect to other previous regions (or portions of them), via DLCs perhaps, very akin to the Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra. For some reason I'd like these games to be called Pokémon Galaxy and Nova.

I feel like out of the viable choices, Australia might be better for showcasing "Pokemon is now (semi?) open world". Australia has the Outback and the Great Barrier Reef that would make for nice, open expanses to explore.

Unless they decided to zone-segment (which I think is more likely).

Game Freak will likely not touch any other east Asian country for quite some time for a region I'd imagine for historical and political reasons.

I think Australia, New Zealand, or even Scandinavia could make cool regions.

I have a couple of cool ideas for an Australia region

A Ground/Flying or pure Ground type bird based on the Cassowary (A Flightless bird)
A Poison type regional form for Krookodile (Saltwater Crocodile)
A regional form for Komala (Looks the same, but doesn't have the log) and a regional evolution (Normal/Grass) for it (Komala evolves by holding a Branch from the Eucalyptus tree, which can only be found in this region). This is the original Komala and the reason why Komala in other regions hold the log, is because they are unable to evolve.
A Dark/Electric or Dark/Fire type Tasmanian Devil
Fighting type Kangaroo line
A Ground/Grass type based on the Numbat
Normal type Bandicoot (Regional Rodent)
Water type Short-Beaked Dolphin
Water/Fire type regional form for Dewgong
Water/Steel or Water/Ice type Seal or Sea Lion
Fire type Dingo
Water/Poison type Platypus
Regional form for Crobat (Dark/Flying or Rock/Flying)
a Fossil based on the Thylacine (Tasmian Tiger)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom