• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What little things, details, and other small additions in Sword/Shield that you like

You can talk to one of them per day. After many days, Spiritomb will appear.
While I like an offline option to get Spiritomb, having people wait many days for one Pokémon would be pretty frustrating. I think making it so that there’s several NPCs around the region that you have to talk to would be better, since now the player doesn’t have to wait a long time for something that, ultimately in my opinion, isn’t really worth a multiple day wait.

Heh. This is really tiny but I just happened to notice it. Go to Turffield and stand behind the Greedent part of the faceboard by the hill with the geoglyph. Press A, and your character will make a slight facial gesture, causing the kid looking at the board to laugh. Pretty cute.

I've only noticed this yesterday but when you're in a tournament and the big screens on the stadium use Ball Guy as an indication to show what's happening like him fainting when a Pokémon faints, or him growing large surrounded by energy and a Gigantamax logo in the background when a Dyna/Gigamax battle is ongoing.

More something I happened to notice rather than “liking” as such, but as of the CT release, once you finish the first Galarian Star Tournament, the Trainers you can battle in the regular tournament get a level increase. That was already reported on by Serebii, of course, but what I didn’t pick up on until now was that Milo abruptly replaces his Belossom with a Tsareena. That is the only change that occurs to anyone’s team lineup (I thought maybe Hop would switch to using his Starter as his G-Max like he does in the GST, but nope, that role still goes to Corviknight).

I mention this all because there’s that feature they added in IOA where a significant character will appear on the Isle each day along with their signature Pokémon, and every character has the signature mon that you would expect (Hop = Dubwool, Kabu = Centiskorch, Bede = Hatterene, etc.) except for Milo. You might think he would bring along a Flapple or Appletun depending on the version since that’s what he uses as his G-Max in the Champion tournament, or at least Eldegoss since that was his main Pokémon in the Gym battle against him. But no, he brings along a Tsareena despite never using one nor its pre-evos on any of his teams.

My best guess was always that it was the Tsareena that you tackled with him, Hop, and Piers when Sordward and Shielbert were running around forcing Pokémon to Dynamax, but I was never fully sold on that because none of the other Leaders seem to take those Pokémon under their wing, and the dialogue suggests that the Leaders are just going to look after them for a bit while they recover from the forced Dynamaxing. Milo says “I’ll make sure Turffield takes good care of that Pokémon for the time being,” which sounds like a temporary deal, although I guess they could have grown attached in that time.

Anyway the “detail” being noticed here is simply that the Crown Tundra DLC went and finally made sense of Milo bringing a Tsareena with him to the Isle of Armor.

So like, I was exploring the world of Galar in the postgame to see what secrets there might be and I went into Professor Magnolia's house and stumbled into Sonia's room. At first glance it has all the stereotypical "girly" things you might expect but when you look closer you can see a pin board with a bunch of detailed sketches of various Pokémon and I was like "damn girl, if being a professor doesn't work out then you'll always have a future as a Pokémon Watcher." :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, I find it cool how they incorporated the characters rooms to reflect their personalities. It's such a small thing that a player might not even see (like me) but it makes the world feel more lived in. :bulbaLove:

I noticed something about certain characters that, while subtle, show some of their character traits more.

First off, Hop is always talking about perfecting his Poke Ball throw and both Leon AND Bede mention Hop can't throw it properly. Well, turns out, they're right. Whenever Hop goes to Dynamax his Mon, be it his Starter or Corviknight, he actually trips over his own feet when he throws the enlarged ball out of (presumably) excitement. Thus, he really can't throw a Poke Ball "properly". Considering that you and everyone else who Dynamaxes can throw their respective ball without trouble, even Opal, for the most part, yet Hop can't without tripping over his own feet show that, yes, Leon and Bede are right about his throw.

Another example is when Bede first gives you his League Card he's already signed it, something that tends to be left out until the rare League Cards are handed out. It also shows that his handwriting isn't great. This shows his arrogance, as he's basically saying he's already "achieved" star status, thus feels the need to sign his League Card to further gloat. However, after becoming Opal's successor, he not only hands out his rare League Card, but it has a much more proper signature on it. This hints that Bede not only got a huge serving of humble pie during his Fairy boot camp, but Opal probably drilled him on proper handwriting, thus his signature is far more refined, befitting of a new Gym Leader. That also applies to Hop to a degree in the post-game, as his signature is rather sloppy, indicating he's either got bad handwriting or is not accustomed to handing out his signature (or both). Given Hop's more relaxed nature, it makes sense why his signature might not be the neatest.

Those are just some subtle details I noticed over time but never really clicked right away until I picked up Sword again recently. I just love those little details, as it adds more depth to the characters. Hopefully any future games will follow ideas like that, as it makes each and every character more alive.

It doesn't load for me, what it is?

How about now?

EZLVMyuXYAACDEO

If not, then I'll tell you it's a close-up of one of the yellow terminals that can be seen in the train stations throughout Galar. The logo of the railway system mimics that of the London Underground, and on the terminal, there is also a graphic of a "Shellder card," which is a play on real-life Oyster cards.

How about now?

EZLVMyuXYAACDEO

If not, then I'll tell you it's a close-up of one of the yellow terminals that can be seen in the train stations throughout Galar. The logo of the railway system mimics that of the London Underground, and on the terminal, there is also a graphic of a "Shellder card," which is a play on real-life Oyster cards.
Ok, now it loads. Thanks!

I just remembered a very, very minor thing that Gen 8 did that is something I appreciate. In past gens, whenever you'd trade over an egg the prompt would say, "Take good care of Egg", which is a minor thing that often irked me. However, starting with Sword/Shield, the prompt now says, "Take good care of the Egg". Simply adding in that little "the" may be a very minor thing, but it means a lot, as now it actually looks and sounds natural and correct. It's a very minor thing but as someone who was raised by a professional editor something like that can irk me a bit. But now it's been fixed.

I've been playing with the rumble off most of the time, but I switched it on recently and I've noticed something cool. When you Dynamax your Pokemon, the controllers rumble as soon as you recall your Pokemon into its ball; however, when another another trainer Dynamaxes their Pokemon, you don't feel any rumble until the Dynamax Pokemon emerges from its ball.

In other words... Only the person holding a Dynamax ball can feel it vibrating, but once the Dynamax Pokemon emerges the shock waves are felt by everyone. It's little details like this that make the world feel more real and immersive.

Recently starting a new file reminded me of something really, really small that I'm glad SW/SD have. Getting Premier Balls when you by 10 of any ball. ORAS was the first one to do that but it was dropped in Gen 7, so I'm glad Gen 8 brought it back. I know that the Premier Ball is just a reskinned Poke Ball, but at least it's more aesthetically interesting than just a plain Poke Ball. Plus, it has a nicer-looking catch/release animation. And since you can get them when you buy not just 10 Poke Balls, but of any ball type like Great, Heal, Nest, etc, makes them easier to have and gives more options to catch Mons in, especially Max Raid ones since they can't escape (unless they're event-based, then that's another story). Also, unlike ORAS where you had to buy 10 balls at a time to get a Premier Ball, now in Gen 8 you can get them in bulk if the other balls in question are bought in multiples of 10 instead of just 10 per purchase, and you get a Premier Ball for each set. It's really minor and rather mundane, I know, but I'd rather get 10 Great Balls and earn a Premier Ball then be forced to get 10 Poke Balls to get a Premier Ball, since it's well-known by now that I hate the standard model Poke Ball. Granted, I'd still prefer a Ball Boutique like in XY (one of the few things those games did right), but I'll take what I can get. Maybe we'll get a Ball Boutique or something in the Gen 4 remakes, since there are ample places in Sinnoh where you could put one (Veilstone City is probably the most obvious due to the department store being part of it).

I like how the open-world areas have nearly eradicated the presence of out-of-place manmade staircases as a means of creating elevation. They're a relic of an older kind of map design, and the sense of immersion in exploring the wilderness is finer without them. The only places where you see them in any of the Wild Areas is where there's a believable reason for them to be there: The stairs leading up to the Tower of Darkness were probably paved by whoever also built the towers themselves. Same for the small sets of steps on the Path to the Peak - they're near another major manmade structure, the Crown Shrine, so we can infer that there was human-led development in the area. But everywhere else, we have natural hills and slopes.

Incidentally, did you guys ever see the massive scale replica of the Wild Area that they fabricated?

I like how the open-world areas have nearly eradicated the presence of out-of-place manmade staircases as a means of creating elevation. They're a relic of an older kind of map design, and the sense of immersion in exploring the wilderness is finer without them. The only places where you see them in any of the Wild Areas is where there's a believable reason for them to be there: The stairs leading up to the Tower of Darkness were probably paved by whoever also built the towers themselves. Same for the small sets of steps on the Path to the Peak - they're near another major manmade structure, the Crown Shrine, so we can infer that there was human-led development in the area. But everywhere else, we have natural hills and slopes.

Incidentally, did you guys ever see the massive scale replica of the Wild Area that they fabricated?

Aww, man, what could have been were it not for the lack of overworld detail and egregious pop-in. We were this close to something properly special (and the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra were closer still).

Also, for fun while I was doing Restricted Sparring, I decided to wear the Gym uniform of whatever type I was using, and I hadn't noticed until now that the sponsor on the Normal-type uniform is Silph Co.
It's implied that Silph Co. created Porygon2, so that's sort of fitting.
They have released a new Galar Expedition Guide which goes into lots of detail about which areas of the UK were used for inspiration in designing the Galar region. Worth a read if, like me, you enjoy learning about the artistic process behind things.
Can I buy this?

Was scrolling through my Dex entry document for something else I'm going to post later, and came across Dubwool's entry saying that its horns are only used for impressing the opposite sex and that they aren't used in battle. Then I pulled up Dubwool's moveset, fully expecting to see Horn Attack or Horn Leech or something and hit Game Freak with a "gotcha!", but what do you know, there actually are no horn moves. Good job lol.

(That said, I also scrolled through Flygon's entries which talk about its wings creating a sound similar to a woman singing, and I've got to say, they missed a trick by not implementing that in SwSh - if you haven't noticed, a cool (albeit in some cases kind of annoying) detail is that now, you can hear the flapping of flying Pokémon's wings in battle. Flygon is included in that, but it just produces a light flapping noise. There are also some other subtle sound additions, like Mr. Mime having a "clap" noise that plays when you encounter it, which isn't actually part of its cry - it's a separate sound byte.)

Can I buy this?

I'm pretty sure it's just the digital document you see there. So you could print it out, given access to a printer, but I don't think they sell them pre-made.

you haven't noticed, a cool (albeit in some cases kind of annoying) detail is that now, you can hear the flapping of flying Pokémon's wings in battle.

I noticed this for the first time in December - with Togetic in Dynamax Adventure and now I can’t not notice it and it’s flipping annoying!

I noticed this for the first time in December - with Togetic in Dynamax Adventure and now I can’t not notice it and it’s flipping annoying!
Togetic is probably the worst offender for this. While I really like how movement now has noise, I wish for flying Pokémon they just made it last a few seconds rather than continue throughout the battle.

Yeah, Togetic is awful.

But I want to mention that the Klink family is brilliant! They make a sort of metallic clicking sound whenever one of their attack animation rolls. It's not going constantly like Togetic, and really adds to their immersive texture in a unique way.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom