• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Oshawott would’ve been far better if they had made it consistent: either he’s a competent battler who aims to improve and has the experience to trade punches with a Hydreigon or it’s the dumb and selfish comic relief who gets two shot by a Herdier and who keeps gets trounced by losing his scalchop even after spending a whole episode learning to fight without it.

The writers went for both and it failed miserably at either.

I believe that if Ash gets Grookey then it will mean officially that Gen 8 will last for four years and we won't see Gen 9 until 2023.
I don't see how this single capture would mean Gen 8 is gonna last 4 years, even though I do think we are in for a 4 year generation. This would be great for Game Freak honestly. It would give them more time to work on the 9th generation which they could really use to work on issues fans had with Gen 8.

Only won in one gym battle and it was barely.
I Think Ur Talkng About Smugvy. Oshawott Had 2 Gym Wins

Here, I'll give you an example of why I think Snivy is better than Oshawott: Snivy actually had this little thing called compassion. The way she stood up for Tepig when his abusive trainer met the group speaks volumes, as does the fact that she bonded with Ash precisely because he's a kind and caring trainer, so Snivy clearly places a lot of value in a good heart. Oshawott, meanwhile, was a callous douche who never had to learn his lesson because we were supposed to find his jerkishness "quirky", "charming", and "endearing", which it never was: Oshawott was constantly stealing food from Tepig/Pignite, someone that he knew had been on the brink of starvation in the past and would thus be obviously traumatized from losing food, but Oshawott didn't care and just kept eating Tepig/Pignite's food. I don't like Tepig either, but the act of stealing food from someone who was severely malnourished at one point is an extremely horrible thing to do on principle, and what's worse is that we were supposed to find it FUNNY just because the one doing the stealing is conventionally cute. That is seriously disgusting. Really, Oshawott is lucky that I don't like Pignite either, because if I actually did, then the otter would easily be my least favorite character in Pokemon anime history.
Correct Me If I'm Wrong But It Was Tepig Who Joined Ash Cuz He Was Kind. Snivy Got It's Butt Kicked By Ash's Worst Unova Pokemon Cuz It Couldn't Use Attract. Most Of It's Wins Are Just Attract Anyway. Oshawott Was Ayways Against Plot Armor For Example Darmanitan Pansear and Herdier Where Ash Has To Lose. And Then It Was Sent Out Against A Fricking Hydreigon And Was Able To Hold It's Own??? Also Tepig Isn't Starving Anyore Ash Constantly Feeds It. Also I Doubt Oshawott Knoew Tepig Was Straving.

ever specifically singled out a victim of trauma as their targets
Torchic Is Mad

I don't see how this single capture would mean Gen 8 is gonna last 4 years, even though I do think we are in for a 4 year generation. This would be great for Game Freak honestly. It would give them more time to work on the 9th generation which they could really use to work on issues fans had with Gen 8.
Otherwise Grookey won't have enough time to develop properly, especially considering that it is the most popular of its line.

Correct Me If I'm Wrong But It Was Tepig Who Joined Ash Cuz He Was Kind. Snivy Got It's Butt Kicked By Ash's Worst Unova Pokemon Cuz It Couldn't Use Attract. Most Of It's Wins Are Just Attract Anyway. Oshawott Was Ayways Against Plot Armor For Example Darmanitan Pansear and Herdier Where Ash Has To Lose. And Then It Was Sent Out Against A Fricking Hydreigon And Was Able To Hold It's Own??? Also Tepig Isn't Starving Anyore Ash Constantly Feeds It. Also I Doubt Oshawott Knoew Tepig Was Straving.
Snivy had already seen how Ash treated his Pokemon and was clearly moved: yes, Ash had to battle her to catch her, but she gives a smile when he does so, meaning that she did want him as her new trainer. There are plenty of Pokemon that agreed to go with Ash due to his kindness but still had to be battled. Most notably Bulbasaur and Hawlucha. And just because Pignite isn't starving anymore doesn't mean that the trauma of having nearly succumbed to hunger is gone away. And yes, Oshawott did know: he was present when Tepig reunited with his former abusive trainer. He just didn't care because he's that selfish.

Also, why is it that Oshawott's losses are all Plot Armor but Snivy's losses are because she sucks? I'm smelling bias here.

Torchic Is Mad
Like I said, Corphish only stole food from Torchic once and never did it again once Torchic evolved, meaning that unlike Oshawott, Corphish actually learned his lesson.

Last edited:
Otherwise Grookey won't have enough time to develop properly, especially considering that it is the most popular of its line.
Cconsidering the short amount of time it took to develop Scorbunny into Cinderace that won't be a problem.

Plus we've got over 100 Episodes left. That's plenty of time to develop Grookey

No it isn't, especially considering how little they focus on the PWC.
Actually, if this is gonna be a 4 year generation, we're more likely to get close to 190 episodes since DP was a 4 year generation and it had 191 episodes. They have MORE than enough time, but in case you've been paying attention to how this series has been when it comes to developing stuff, you'd know they don't care and they'll rush through development or hardly focus on one aspect, like PWC. Scorbunny is a prime example and they could rush Grookey development just as easily. And the thing is, one Pokemon capture alone can't tell you how long a series will be. It makes no sense that one capture suddenly means 4 year series.

Last edited:
If Ash can develop a literal baby in a short period, he can easily develop a stroger, probably wild one, too.
Also there's Goomy to Goodra which took 10 episodes total. The past shows us they don't need more than 100 episodes to develop a Pokemon and reach its final stage and they'll rush through things any time possible.

Last edited:
Goomy isn't a starter.
Scorbunny was though and that took 41 episodes. I agree with you that this is very like a 4 year generation, but this logic behind Grookey being why it will be makes absolutely no sense. You have to remember also that this series isn't like the others also. They're doing many, many things that are unconventional for a Pokemon anime series...Some of which don't work and lead to underdeveloping other aspects.

Last edited:
Scorbunny was though and that took 41 episodes. I agree with you that this is very like a 4 year generation, but this logic behind Grookey being why it will be makes absolutely no sense. You have to remember also that this series isn't like the others also. They're doing many, many things that are unconventional for a Pokemon anime series...Some of which don't work and lead to underdeveloping other aspects.
Grookey is the most popular of its line, which is not the case for Scorbunny.

Grookey is the most popular of its line, which is not the case for Scorbunny.
Popularity isn’t the deciding factor in how they handle the teams. They choose what fits in context of the series. Keep in mind that Grookey while it is less popular than Scorbunny and Sobble, it still has dedicated and loving fans. Ash having a Rillaboom is perfectly fine if they handle Grookey’s development well.

Back
Top Bottom