• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Ash x Bea be a prominent ship in Journeys?

I'm amazed no one is remembering the 'shippers will ignore Ash=10' like a lot of fans do. The show may not actively do shipping stuff but when does that stop shippers?

Well, maybe this is because awhile back Ash seemed to have more than 10 years old, while now he seems to have less than 10 years old.

Furthermore, given Ash's condition and the treatment that he has received on Journeys, I don't see myself interested in Ash ships at all. To me, ship Journeys Ash with Bea looks disrespectful to the latter.

ASH x CYNNTHIA IS A THING???
I mean, there’s an old post on this forum where a user calls a ten-year-old hot along with several other concerning comments, and that user still posts here occasionally. Pedophilia and its normalization have always been a cancerous tumor in the fandom.

ASH x CYNNTHIA IS A THING???

Yep. It is called Rayshipping. (Probably) not as big as all of those memes about game Cynthia and Dawn but you can find a fair few of them on FFnet.

From what I've seen there is a split between, with some overlaps

A: The 'Ash is still 10' is ignored so Ash is older, either ranging from 'hey it is legal outside of Shudo's Light Novels' to 'It's only teenager x older woman and not pedophilia'

B: Cynthia is younger, a number of them would depict her as a experienced trainer pre Champion, like later teens, when Ash starts.

C: It's a harem fic that is doing it wrong (...trust me when I phrase it like that). More specifically I have observed harem fics have a tendency to think more along the lines of 'THIS LADY IS HOT!' in the means of character choice instead of 'hey if you want people to ship you should think of who'd actually be attracted to each other first.'

D: The writer isn't thinking.

Yep. It is called Rayshipping. (Probably) not as big as all of those memes about game Cynthia and Dawn but you can find a fair few of them on FFnet.

From what I've seen there is a split between, with some overlaps

A: The 'Ash is still 10' is ignored so Ash is older, either ranging from 'hey it is legal outside of Shudo's Light Novels' to 'It's only teenager x older woman and not pedophilia'

B: Cynthia is younger, a number of them would depict her as a experienced trainer pre Champion, like later teens, when Ash starts.

C: It's a harem fic that is doing it wrong (...trust me when I phrase it like that). More specifically I have observed harem fics have a tendency to think more along the lines of 'THIS LADY IS HOT!' in the means of character choice instead of 'hey if you want people to ship you should think of who'd actually be attracted to each other first.'

D: The writer isn't thinking.
DAWN x CYNTHIA IS A THING TOO? WHAT ARE THESE SHIPPERS THINKING?
EDIT: APPERANTLY CYNTHIA x CLEMONT IS A THING TOO. WTH?

Lol, DAWN x CYNTHIA is certainly a thing. Probably the most relevant ship of the Diamond and Pearl saga after Ash x Dawn. This is a quite famous ship.

In relation to Ash x Cynthia ship, I don't think that it is a big deal.

....Who knows. I mean when I approach a ship that is a bit off the main path (Poke/Advanced/Amour/Etc) I tend to have a reason for speculating on it.

For example Ash x Bea, which I am pondering here, came because of an observation that stuff like Ash x Paul and Ash x Alain is a thing and she is supposed to be the main rival of Journeys. Also the fact that there are shippers who are never going to jump on Ash x Goh because they don't do guy x guy ships, and Chloe is only relevant every dozen or so episodes or in that fic on Archive where she gets on the Infinity Train.

Or off this specific topic I like the idea of the threesome ship Burnett x Kukui x Delia. That came about because I noticed a lot of Archive fics where Burnett and Kukui basically take custody of Ash away from Delia turning the whole 'Alola parents' meme into more actual, but because I like Delia both alive and not bashed I pondered a better means of doing the ship. I had originally pondered a pre Burnett Kukui x Delia 'Step Dad Kukui' thing to make 'Daddy Kukui' more so and ponder means of more organic AU set ups but I happen to like 3+ ships so it went from there.

With Rayshipping I do believe the thought was 'Cynthia is hot and Ash is the protagonist'.

Why are people shipping a ten year old with an adult?

Game Dawn or Anime Ash?

Well I'm less of an expert on game ships but I think the shipping came first before people started joking about Cynthia being a pedophile and now she has several entries on the 'Memetic Molester/Pokemon' page.

As I often point out fans either ignore the 'Ash is still 10' or they try to make too much out of it (coma theories, Ash being unable to age beyond 10 because of a biological condition, Ho-Oh wishes). Personally I either ignore it or, if I do treat it like something in universe I make fun of it instead of too much.

(In my own fic for example Ash, after peggy sueing can't actually figure out what his age is, and Pikachu and telepaths that read his memories only get more confused to a point of wondering why it looked like May aged backwards at one point. I have no patience for trying to treat that like a actual plot problem and prefer to use it for jokes).

Shipping is weird, especially when it leaves the realm of the canonically implied.

Why are people shipping a ten year old with an adult?

I don't know, ask the people who are shipping it. My guess? Because the people like both characters and don't like the other characters/ships that these people are usually associated. Moreover, time seems to be a relative concept in the Pokémon franchise.

And maybe, you should ask: Why are people shipping a ten year old child with anything?

Yeah, that is a better question to ask.

It just happens, and many creators tend to do things to actively build towards it in their series. Pokemon is hardly unique, and there are far worse ships that spawned from the actions of the creators.

Try Ben 10 on for size. I am pretty sure at least 20% of the series directional choices can best be described as 'BenxGwen must be squashed out'.

It just happens, and many creators tend to do things to actively build towards it in their series. Pokemon is hardly unique, and there are far worse ships that spawned from the actions of the creators.

Try Ben 10 on for size. I am pretty sure at least 20% of the series directional choices can best be described as 'BenxGwen must be squashed out'.
BEN 10 x GRANDPA MAX IS A THING. I AM SO DONE WITH SHIPPING

BEN 10 x GRANDPA MAX IS A THING. I AM SO DONE WITH SHIPPING

....Not sure I ever saw that particular ship. Think I did see Ben x Verdonna and Gwen x Max once or twice.....

But I go into the darkest depths in search of good fics, so I see things I wish I couldn't see. This old CN promo best sums it up

....Not sure I ever saw that particular ship. Think I did see Ben x Verdonna and Gwen x Max once or twice.....

But I go into the darkest depths in search of good fics, so I see things I wish I couldn't see. This old CN promo best sums it up

I saw those ships too and I wish I never saw them. PEOPLE ARE SHIPPING CHILDREN WITH OLD PEOPLE!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom