• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could add a new type, what would it be?

Like ogre, cyber strikes me more as a 'trait' than an actual proper typing. (Same with types like sound and light.)

I forgot to mention the types that my new types are strong against and weak to

Death:

Strong Against: Grass, Water, Fighting, Flying, Bug

Resists: Grass, Flying, Bug, Death

Weak to: Time, Cyber, Fairy, Light

Not Very Effective Against: Time, Cyber, Fairy, Ground, Death, Ghost

Immune to: Rock
No Effect Against: Light

Cyber:

Strong Against: Steel, Time, Death

Resists: Time, Death, Cyber, Dark, Poison, Psychic, Fighting, Fairy

Weak to: Flying, Electric, Rock, Water

Not Very Effective Against: Electric, Flying, Water

Immune to: Steel

Time:

Strong Against: Space, Death, Grass, Rock, Cosmic

Resists: Death, Grass, Cosmic

Weak to: Cyber, Space, Light, Fire (Time and Space are Super Effective against eachother)

Not Very Effective Against: Cyber, Light

Cosmic:

Strong Against: Psychic, Dragon, Rock

Resists: Psychic, Dragon, Rock, Cosmic

Weak to: Ice, Time, Space, Light

Not Very Effective Against: Time, Space, Light, Cosmic

Light:

Strong Against: Dark, Death, Time, Space, Sound, Cosmic

Resists: Time, Space, Sound, Cosmic, Fire, Bug, Ghost, Fairy, Ice, Ground, Light, Rock, Flying, Electric, Psychic, Dragon

Weak to: Steel, Water, Dark (Light and Dark are Super Effective against eachother)

Not Very Effective Against: Steel, Grass, Light

Immune to: Death

Sound:

Strong Against: Steel, Ice, Fighting, Fairy

Resists: Steel, Ice, Fighting, Fairy, Sound

Weak to: Light, Grass

Not Very Effective Against: Light, Water, Sound

Space:

Strong Against: Cosmic, Ghost, Time

Resists: Cosmic, Rock, Flying, Normal

Weak to: Time, Light, Psychic, Fighting (Time and Space are Super Effective against eachother)

Not Very Effective Against: Light, Psychic, Fighting, Normal

Rubber:

Strong Against: Electric, Ground, Rock, Steel

Resists: Ground, Rock, Rubber, Poison

Weak to: Fire, Water, Ice

Not Very Effective Against: Fire, Water, Ice, Rubber

Immune to: Electric

There

Honestly, I'm pretty much fine with the current type chart available.

Not to call out people, but...

Things like a "Space" type, a "Demon/Ogre" type, "Sound" type, "Light" type really don't feel distinct and/or notable enough to really make sense as 'standalone' types. "Space" and "Light" themselves feel like vague niches that are already sorta represented/blended in by Psychic and Fairy types (Ex: Staryu/Starmie, Elgyem/Beheeyem, Cleffa line, Ralts line, Rapidash line, Cosmog family + Necrozma, the Lake pixies, etc.) "Demon/Ogre", as stated by a previous user, feels more like a trait than a distinct element; and I feel that Dark kinda fills the niche as well (Ex: There's the obvious Impidimp line, there's Sableye which is based of a goblin, Nuzleaf and Shiftry are tengu, which are grotesque mischievous creatures in Japanese folklore, etc.).

As for "Sound", it just doesn't really make sense when Sound-based moves already are 'distinct' anyway in terms of battle mechanics; and there's only a handful of Pokemon that really have sound as part of their character identity (Ex. Whismur line, Chatot, Chimecho line, Meloetta etc.)

Honestly, I'm pretty much fine with the current type chart available.

As for "Sound", it just doesn't really make sense when Sound-based moves already are 'distinct' anyway in terms of battle mechanics; and there's only a handful of Pokemon that really have sound as part of their character identity (Ex. Whismur line, Chatot, Chimecho line, Meloetta etc.)
I happen to really love sound/music based pokemon. I could see a lot of things get retyped to include sound. However, my issue with adding the sound type arises with moves. There are plenty of moved that are "sound" moves mechanically, but have a distinct type already. Things like bug buzz and sparkling aria. Unless they're willing to start making dual type moves a thing (which I don't particularly want), I don't think sound as a type works. Not to mention all the dual typed pokemon that already exist that are themed around some kind of sound or music motif (Toxtricity, Lapras, Seismitoad, etc.).

I thought I made a post to this effect but it was actually on a fangame forum about the same topic, lol.

One thing I think is worth bringing up in discussions of new types is that types aren't the only way to classify Pokemon and moves! We've got things like Bulletproof for ball and bomb moves, Assist for cat Pokemon, the effects of sound-based moves, etc., so a shared trait could have an effect in battle without necessarily being brought into the type chart! (Of course, that's easier to say on a forum for developing fangames where people have a say in things rather than talking about the canon games, haha) Maybe instead of a Space type, we get more moves in the vein of Cosmic Power that can only be learned by the alien-based Pokemon, for example.

It does kind of suck that sound-based Pokemon don't get any kind of boost on sound-based moves like STAB, though, because it does seem like they should, but at the same time, most of them are already getting STAB on their relevant sound moves.

I thought I made a post to this effect but it was actually on a fangame forum about the same topic, lol.

One thing I think is worth bringing up in discussions of new types is that types aren't the only way to classify Pokemon and moves! We've got things like Bulletproof for ball and bomb moves, Assist for cat Pokemon, the effects of sound-based moves, etc., so a shared trait could have an effect in battle without necessarily being brought into the type chart! (Of course, that's easier to say on a forum for developing fangames where people have a say in things rather than talking about the canon games, haha) Maybe instead of a Space type, we get more moves in the vein of Cosmic Power that can only be learned by the alien-based Pokemon, for example.

It does kind of suck that sound-based Pokemon don't get any kind of boost on sound-based moves like STAB, though, because it does seem like they should, but at the same time, most of them are already getting STAB on their relevant sound moves.

This sounds like a good idea. As much as I’d love a cosmic type, let’s be real the time to introduce it was back in Gen 7, and now that ship has sailed.

You know what? I've been thinking about this topic in general over the past few days and the conclusion I came to is that GF adding a new Type in is a rare enough occurrence that I think it would be worth trying to incorporate the new Type into the game's story and/or the Region's Lore rather than just quietly retconning past Pokémon.

Let's take Sw/Sh for example. If I was the writer, this is what I would do by only making the minimal amount of changes to the actual games' story...

Long ago, a terrible beast named Eternatus descended from the skies to bring ruin to the land of Galar. No trainer was a match for it due to the beast possessing the strange and unknown power of the "Photon" Type (replacing Poison) which came from the far away galaxy that birthed the creature. As such, Eternatus resisted every attack and was super effective against everything since no earthbound Pokémon had any prior immunity developed to the power of Photon. Things culminated into the Darkest Day with Eternatus using Photon power to bring forth Dynamax Pokémon to rampage as well, with only two young trainers left standing alongside their wolf Pokémon. However suddenly a meteor rocketed down and crashed into what would later become Hammerlocke. The meteor had strange glyphs carved into it and glowed with the same luminous light that Eternatus had, with the particles of light lifting off of the rock and floating into the air of Galar. Resistances were born amongst the Pokémon that the particles touched and the Steel Type that the pair of wolves possessed became super effective against Eternatus which allow the trainers to defeat the beast and seal it away. As the centuries passed, the meteorite became forgotten until a young entrepreneur named Rose unearthed it and tried to harness it's power (and by studying the glyphs learnt about Eternatus) but in doing so the particles once again spread into the air and started to grant the Photon type to the Pokémon of Galar in recent years.

Pokémon that are Photon Type come in a variety of shapes and colours (moreso if they're dual typed) but a common theme is that they often emit energy via the electromagnetic spectrum and frequently have markings on their bodies that resemble celestial objects like constellations and galaxies. They tend to focus on attack power and speed (in reference to light) and have wacky abilities like "phase shift" which allows one to shed status ailments automatically after one full turn passes. Photon type attacks are resisted by Steel and Psychic types (since the latter also overlaps with space themes), but are super effective against Fighting, Fairy and Ground types (the first two because of the Doggos and the third because "ground=Earth" which Eternatus came to attack).

Just an idle idea I had which I put way too much thought into.

You know what? I've been thinking about this topic in general over the past few days and the conclusion I came to is that GF adding a new Type in is a rare enough occurrence that I think it would be worth trying to incorporate the new Type into the game's story and/or the Region's Lore rather than just quietly retconning past Pokémon.
I kinda feel that's what they wanted to do with Steel and possibly Dark, but that might be me over-analyzing Jasmine's backstory and the PC dialogue in the Spaceworld demo, where they mention that Yoroidori (Skarmory) is a Pokémon of a new type.

If there ever was a story they could do that it was Kalos.

They could have easily have the resurgance of Fairy-types be due to Xerneas awakening from its slumber which caused the Fairy-type particles to fill the ecosystem, cause the Fairy-type genetics within Pokemon awakening causing it to get that as secondary typing or overwriting another typing.

That would leave nothing for Yveltal since Dark was already around since Gen 2 but you can give Yveltal another shtick. (Maybe that because of theirast fight Yveltal is the reason that the 'Fairy genes/Yveltal were weakened cause he fed on the lifeforce of it? Dunno.)

Nothing really.

Only thing I can think of is Beast-type but it'd be a bit difficult to retype certain moves into Beast-type. Cause what exactly classifies if a move is a Beast move over something else.

As far as Pokémon go, Arcanine, Mightyena, Granbull, just to name 3 of them.
Hm, maybe Beast type Pokémon can be classified as those that are very feral and vicious in battle. Though that’ll be tough since a lot of dark types are like that as well. On another note, only carnivorous Pokémon can be this type.

For the type chart:

Super effective against: Fairy (Just picture a big vicious beast tearing a cute little fairy to shreds. Lol), Normal (Because normal human beings stand no chance against big strong animals without a weapon)

Weak against: Steel (meant to represent weapons that humans use to hunt beasts), Poison (likewise this will represent all the diseases beasts are vulnerable to such as rabies. Not to mention pollution), Bug (Meant to represent the parasites that bother beasts like ticks or tapeworms)

Resists: Fairy, Normal, Fighting (Again, not much humans can do against animals if unarmed)

Resisted by: Poison, Ice (Eh, had a difficult reason coming up for a reason for this. But Ice desperately needs a defensive boost.), Dark (Dark types are all about being cunning and fighting dirty, so I’m sure they can come up with strategies to bring down beasts).

Retcons:
Arcanine: Fire/Beast
Mightyena: Dark/Beast
Granbull: Fairy/Beast
Teddiursa line: Beast
Cubchoo line: Ice/Beast
Gyrados: Water/Beast (Lets be real, Gyrados really isn’t losing anything by shedding its flying type. It only learns two flying moves to begin with anyway).
Lycanroc: Rock/Beast
Shinx line: Electric/Beast

Separating Rock and Ground should remain. The reason is that the types describe their pokemon distinctively, and it allows for neater designs. Rock Pokemon are related to actual hard - they're usually made of Rock itself. Ground Types aren't supposedly hard - They can have the structure of anything, and just be known to live underground or use ground attacks.

I.e.: Without the disticntion, many pokemon would feel strange to call earth type.
Problem is, most types have different design philosophies: for poison we've had toxic trash, gas, scorpions to name a few; for water we've had fishes, tortoises, a dog (Suicune). These are just some examples of how a type's theme can vary, and I'd say a earth type can easily do the job of both types togheter.

I wouldn't really call it Earth-type either. More something like Gaia.

But I agree it should stay seperate. There is not really any type I feel can or should be merged with something else.

I wouldn't really call it Earth-type either. More something like Gaia.

But I agree it should stay seperate. There is not really any type I feel can or should be merged with something else.
Gaia wouldn't work as a type name, as all others are obvious and straight-forward.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom