• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN051: Kamonegi's Great Trials!

What was wrong with ash farfetch?
I still can’t believe he try to battle the other trainer even though it was weakened by the first battle it was easily lost on purpose

that gurder got new weapon isn’t thatdangerous to kill Pokémon
It's like Goku in that it wants to keep fighting and getting stronger and will do so without rest, which was noted to be one of its shortcomings and weaknesses, hence how it lost to a move that can't actually defeat anything

It's like Goku in that it wants to keep fighting and getting stronger and will do so without rest, which was noted to be one of its shortcomings and weaknesses, hence how it lost to a move that can't actually defeat anything
Thank you

I was curious in pokemon Bulb about Farfetch it lost the battle due to weaken by the previous battle as it lost to one hit by that trainer gallade. Yes that move it used was special to win but Farfetch'd was truly weaken

I'm going to call this an "episode of extremes" because, in my eyes, there were either extremely good or bad scenes. So, let me focus on the most important ones:

What I found extremely bad (or "very bad" to say it in a less emotional way):
- Ash climbing up the PWC ranking off-screen: Terrible, simply terrible! I think we deserve to see at least a few of those battles. And if the writers hadn't wasted so many filler episodes on that Go, there sure would have been plenty of time. Considering battling is one of the most important and central aspects of the Anime, it is an insult for us fans that the writers used such a cheap trick and apparently expect us to simply accept Ash magically rising through so many ranks off-screen.
Personally, I've always seen the Normal and Great classes as fluff, we all know Ash should have swept his way up to the Hyper Class from the start. The only reason he's lingered so long in the lower rankings is because he was using the opportunity to train up his two unevolved mons, rather than plowing through with Gengar and Dragonite.
I wouldn't agree here. Ash started all over again with brand new Pokemon, so it's not that he would automatically be able to sweep his way up that easily. I'd accept it if I had seen it with my very own eyes, but the way they writers chose to do it was just cheap and implausible if you ask me.

- (Galarian) Farfetch'd: As far as I'm concerned, I've never had a liking for it. I mean it's a bird-like Pokemon that's carrying a ... leek ! Sorry, but neither can I take its design seriously, nor can I get my head around why Ash had to catch it of all Pokemon.
- A leek cutting throuh a steel beam. Seriously? If that wasn't an illogical plot device, I couldn't think of another word how to call it.

What I found extremely good:
- FINALLY, an Ash-centered episode again and no more Go! (At least he was watching from the sidelines today). How long I've been waiting for a "classical" Pokemon episode revolving around training and Ash fighting strong opponents.
- Except for the leek-cutting-through-steel part, the battle against Gurdurr was action-packed, motivating and really exciting. If Ash had chosen another Pokemon that I could take more seriously than Farfetch'd, that great talk about Pokemon having the "spirit of a true warrior" would have had an even greater impact.
- Rinto, the Gallade trainer: Not only was he mysterious, he and his cool Pokemon also seem to be pretty strong and might become for Farfetch'd what Bea and Octolock were for Riolu back then. Awesome, I'm really looking foward for the rematch!

I'm going to call this an "episode of extremes" because, in my eyes, there were either extremely good or bad scenes. So, let me focus on the most important ones:

What I found extremely bad (or "very bad" to say it in a less emotional way):
- Ash climbing up the PWC ranking off-screen: Terrible, simply terrible! I think we deserve to see at least a few of those battles. And if the writers hadn't wasted so many filler episodes on that Go, there sure would have been plenty of time. Considering battling is one of the most important and central aspects of the Anime, it is an insult for us fans that the writers used such a cheap trick and apparently expect us to simply accept Ash magically rising through so many ranks off-screen.

I wouldn't agree here. Ash started all over again with brand new Pokemon, so it's not that he would automatically be able to sweep his way up that easily. I'd accept it if I had seen it with my very own eyes, but the way they writers chose to do it was just cheap and implausible if you ask me.
- (Galarian) Farfetch'd: As far as I'm concerned, I've never had a liking for it. I mean it's a bird-like Pokemon that's carrying a ... leek ! Sorry, but neither can I take its design seriously, nor can I get my head around why Ash had to catch it of all Pokemon.
- A leek cutting throuh a steel beam. Seriously? If that wasn't an illogical plot device, I couldn't think of another word how to call it.

What I found extremely good:
- FINALLY, an Ash-centered episode again and no more Go! (At least he was watching from the sidelines today). How long I've been waiting for a "classical" Pokemon episode revolving around training and Ash fighting strong opponents.
- Except for the leek-cutting-through-steel part, the battle against Gurdurr was action-packed, motivating and really exciting. If Ash had chosen another Pokemon that I could take more seriously than Farfetch'd, that great talk about Pokemon having the "spirit of a true warrior" would have had an even greater impact.
- Rinto, the Gallade trainer: Not only was he mysterious, he and his cool Pokemon also seem to be pretty strong and might become for Farfetch'd what Bea and Octolock were for Riolu back then. Awesome, I'm really looking foward for the rematch!
What you think
Ash farfetch like I said on top

What you think
Ash farfetch like I said on top
Don't harass other members to answer your questions - if they want to, they will do it on their own. That's how forums work, and you'll have to get used to having your messages ignored from time to time.

Anyone got any perspective on how the Japanese audience reacted to Ash having offscreen awesome fun times like he's Aincrad Kirito?

...I kid Ash, the swarm of Kirito clones have scewed the anime protagonist measures so badly that you are now closer to Lelouch vi Britannia in complexity than you have any right to be.

He literally hasn't lost a single PWC match in which he used Pikachu, Gengar, or Dragonite. He remained undefeated until he started exclusively using his newborn Riolu. That's a pretty serious handicap.

Like I said, I would prefer to actually see the battles, but I just don't see the point in lingering in the Super Class much longer. I care more about the Hyper and Master Classes, that's where all the cool kids are hanging out. :cool:

Last edited:
That was exactly what we needed from a Farfetch'd episode! A proper PWC battle (his first win!), completing its moveset and an actual rival who'll push it to become stronger. They fleshed out his character, being so focused on battling that he can be distant to everyone else, and how he's powerful but reckless in battle. This fits perfectly with his debut battle - he wore himself out quickly by spamming night slash and not mastering brutal swing. It's only natural that to progress him further, they need to work on being more fluid with their movements and get a better understanding of their surroundings. He's even a bit disobedient, which is something Ash hasn't dealt with in Journeys yet. I love that he's a lone warrior but still respectful to his opponent, and immediately moves on to training afterwards. Battling is all he knows right now and why he joined Ash in the first place.

That was a great PWC battle! I was pleasantly surprised that it became the main focus of the episode, and wasn't just tacked in at the end. Funnily enough I wanted him to lose at first, but it just kept getting better and better to the point where it would've felt wrong if he lost another one. He definitely earned his victory here and was both pushed to his limits and a badass throughout it. Not sure how I feel about him literally slicing Gurdurr's steel beam in half though, seems a little hard to believe lmao. But thankfully Rinto was there to kickstart the aforementioned development, cause Farfetch'd really needed it. The animation throughout both battles was amazing (best part was Gallade dodging the onslaught of night slashes imo) as we can expect from the dream team. So glad Goh's capture and the geodude shenanigans took a backseat here. I walked into this thinking he'd be slicing Geodudes open for most the runtime and learn leaf blade at the end.

There's one major flaw though, and like you guys have mentioned, it's that drastic offscreen PWC ranking jump. He literally skipped through 2/3 of super class, that's pretty concerning. I seriously hope they give PWC the focus it deserves (like they did here) because it's one of my favourite things about the series.

Regardless, this was an awesome episode that brings the King Kamonegi back on the map. He's finally getting his character arc now! Easily one of my favourites. I'll give it a 9/10.

Last edited:
That was exactly what we needed from a Farfetch'd episode! A proper PWC battle (his first win!), completing its moveset and an actual rival who'll push it to become stronger. They fleshed out his character, being so focused on battling that he can be distant to everyone else, and how he's powerful but reckless in battle. This fits perfectly with his debut battle - he wore himself out quickly by spamming night slash and not mastering brutal swing. It's only natural that to progress him further, they need to work on being more fluid with their movements and get a betting understanding of their surroundings. He's even a bit disobedient, which is something Ash hasn't dealt with in Journeys yet. I love that he's a lone warrior but still respectful to his opponent, and immediately moves on to training afterwards. Battling is all he knows right now and why he joined Ash in the first place.

That was a great PWC battle! I was pleasantly surprised that it became the main focus of the episode, and wasn't just tacked in at the end. Funnily enough I wanted him to lose at first, but it just kept getting better and better to the point where it would've felt wrong if he lost another one. He definitely earned his victory here and was both pushed to his limits and a badass throughout it. Not sure how I feel about him literally slicing Gurdurr's steel beam in half though, seems a little hard to believe lmao. But thankfully Rinto was there to kickstart the aforementioned development, cause Farfetch'd really needed it. The animation throughout both battles was amazing (best part was Gallade dodging the onslaught of night slashes imo) as we can expect from the dream team. So glad Goh's capture and the geodude shenanigans took a backseat here. I walked into this thinking he'd be slicing Geodudes open for most the runtime and learn leaf blade at the end.

There's one major flaw though, and like you guys have mentioned, it's that drastic offscreen PWC ranking jump. He literally skipped through 2/3 of super class, that's pretty concerning. I seriously hope they give PWC the focus it deserves (like they did here) because it's one of my favourite things about the series.

Regardless, this was an awesome episode that brings the King Kamonegi back on the map. He's finally getting his character arc now! Easily one of my favourites. I'll give it a 9/10.
I don't get why didn't Farfetch spar with Lucario or Genger or Dragonite these guys are powerful and munch faster. Their resilient is high

I don't get why didn't Farfetch spar with Lucario or Genger or Dragonite these guys are powerful and munch faster. Their resilient is high
My best guess is that they were all already paired up in training and the one option for Farfetch’d was Dracovish (who, let’s face it, doesn’t look like the kind of opponent the duck would wanna have).

My best guess is that they were all already paired up in training and the one option for Farfetch’d was Dracovish (who, let’s face it, doesn’t look like the kind of opponent the duck would wanna have).
i guess so. We didn't see dracovish in this episode strange
it definitely got potential being battler

He'd eat the leek, as he loves nibbling on everything. I wouldn't wanna train with him either.

I’m curious Ash farfetch lost the second battle due to be weakened by the first battle.
It make sense wasn’t fair since it needs more time to recover or send to Pokémon center to get heal

Winning that battle against Gurder did increase Farfetch strength like the games

I'm gonna be in the minority here and say that this was a really dull episode. The show's never really given me a reason to care about Satoshi's Kamonegi up until now, and that hasn't changed at all after last night's episode. Kamonegi's whole deal is that...it wants to be stronger? And that's basically it? So in other words, the same as basically every other Pokémon in this show? *yawn*

This episode shows us that Kamonegi's problem is that it relies too much on brute strength to win. And that while that's fine for some opponents (Dotekkotsu guy) it doesn't work on others (Ellade guy). OK, fine. BUT, the episode doesn't bother to tell us at all what Satoshi or his Kamonegi is going to do about it. The episode ended with the most generic "alright, let's train and become better!" , with the triumphant music in the background and all that, and it's the kind of thing we've seen a million times by this point.

What'll probably happen is that Kamonegi will train a bunch off-screen and then the next time this show has a Kamonegi episode they'll have it "show off the results of its training" and easily beat its opponent, using almost exactly the same battle strategy it used here.

I just have zero reason to care about Satoshi's Kamonegi's story arc right now.

I'm gonna be in the minority here and say that this was a really dull episode. The show's never really given me a reason to care about Satoshi's Kamonegi up until now, and that hasn't changed at all after last night's episode. Kamonegi's whole deal is that...it wants to be stronger? And that's basically it? So in other words, the same as basically every other Pokémon in this show? *yawn*

This episode shows us that Kamonegi's problem is that it relies too much on brute strength to win. And that while that's fine for some opponents (Dotekkotsu guy) it doesn't work on others (Ellade guy). OK, fine. BUT, the episode doesn't bother to tell us at all what Satoshi or his Kamonegi is going to do about it. The episode ended with the most generic "alright, let's train and become better!" , with the triumphant music in the background and all that, and it's the kind of thing we've seen a million times by this point.

What'll probably happen is that Kamonegi will train a bunch off-screen and then the next time this show has a Kamonegi episode they'll have it "show off the results of its training" and easily beat its opponent, using almost exactly the same battle strategy it used here.

I just have zero reason to care about Satoshi's Kamonegi's story arc right now.
There may have been a clue as to Farfetch'd's development in the Gurdurr fight, specifically when it's trainer had it defend multiple attacks and then strike at just the right moment. Farfetch'd's development may lie in it's learning to utilize a more defensive strategy (this is starting to sound familiar). Yes, this kind of training was promised and never delivered for Ash's Grottle. If that is case here, I hope they actually go through with it. Farfetch'd can become a very unique and powerful member of Ash's team, if given the proper focus and (onscreen) training.

Heck, it will even get a shield once it evolves.

Found this on the bulbagarden discord. Not sure who originally wrote it (it's in quotation marks) but my god they took the words out of my mouth.

Edit: Found the source: 'The Great Farfetch'd Trial! (1140)'
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 2.13.04 pm.png

Last edited:
Considering that G. Farfetch'd's next on-screen battle is most likely gonna be against an Elite Four member's Pokemon, I doubt it's gonna be that simple. Wikstrom being a "new" character + an Elite Four member means Ash probably won't beat him first try. And even if he does, I doubt it'll be an easy victory.

You know if Farfetch'd of kanto was able to evovle its rivalry with Ash Farfetch'd could further the strength. Could be good ark but too bad the game designer had change his mind about it :(

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom