• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN051: Kamonegi's Great Trials!

Anyone else notice this?

Same energy
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 5.29.27 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 5.29.49 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 5.29.37 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 5.29.57 pm.png

Rinto doesn’t really seem like the type of trainer that will belittle Ash, like Paul/Gary, because he generally sees potential and acknowledges G.Farfetch’d strength, and he wants to see them achieve it. He honestly gives advice - that it needs to learn how to improve its balance, agility, awareness of environment, and not just its power. Paul wouldn’t have done that, he would have just insulted Ash and not point out flaws. Actually, this is probably the first time a rival has given advice to Ash on anything (Kenny doesn’t really count cause that was Dawn’s rival).

I think Galarfetch'd doesn't evolve against Wikstrom either. I think vs Wikstrom is a training match. Then when Ash and Rinto face off eachother again, Galarfetch'd evolves and beats Gallade, with Rinto and Gallade applauding Sirfetch'd for having come so far.

I think Galarfetch'd doesn't evolve against Wikstrom either. I think vs Wikstrom is a training match. Then when Ash and Rinto face off eachother again, Galarfetch'd evolves and beats Gallade, with Rinto and Gallade applauding Sirfetch'd for having come so far.
I don't think so. They have been hyping up Wikstrom vs Farfetch'd and him and Ash have armor which i doubt they would wear if Farfetch'd isn't evolving. What you said is still a possibility tho

What has happened to Satoshi? He is not in sync with Kamonegi at all, and he doesn't seem to even be aware of it until maybe the end of this episode. His strength has always been his natural affinity to connect with others, especially his own Pokemon, so this just feels crap
A certain Greninja somewhere in Unova might be doing this right now: :bulbaFacepalm:

Maybe I'm overthinking it a bit, but the thing that's still bothering me is how a leech can cut through a massive steel beam? That's a pretty big logical mistake if you ask me and they could at least have come up with a more plausible way for Farfetch'd to break through Gurdurr's defence.

Also, there's another point I forgot to mention in my review post. When Rinto introduced himself, he was acting kind of reserved and as if he was belittling both Ash and Farfetch'd, a behavior that reminded me of Paul at first. Usually, Ash would become angry and tell such guys off. But interestingly, none of that happened this time. I wonder if Ash had a felling that Rinto was right somehow?

Also, there's another point I forgot to mention in my review post. When Rinto introduced himself, he was acting kind of reserved and as if he was belittling both Ash and Farfetch'd, a behavior that reminded me of Paul at first. Usually, Ash would become angry and tell such guys off. But interestingly, none of that happened this time. I wonder if Ash had a felling that Rinto was right somehow?
He wasn't belittling Ash. He was just giving constructive criticism, and then demonstrated what he meant with a brief battle. He even purposefully used False Swipe to avoid hurting Farfetch'd too much.

I'm also in the dissatisfied camp right now. It has been 24 episodes, nigh on half a year in the real world, since Kamonegi was captured. It has had woeful screen time and focus, and although this is a simple story (character's raw power is great, but they are lacking situational awareness), it actually feels too much pressurised into a single episode like this after so long. The story is so simple in fact that it wouldn't even need build-up as such, just for us to have seen Kamonegi's power +/- a hint of its weakness prior to it explored properly.

What has happened to Satoshi? He is not in sync with Kamonegi at all, and he doesn't seem to even be aware of it until maybe the end of this episode. His strength has always been his natural affinity to connect with others, especially his own Pokemon, so this just feels crap. The rank jumping is cheap af but you've all said everything there is to say on that.
This has always been a problem with the anime, from day one. Characters aren’t consistent, and this especially applies towards Ash.
It wouldn’t make sense for Ash to feel insulted by criticism anymore, considering all he’s been through and all he’s learnt from leaders, rivals, etc.
However...why did he go through that “depressive period” after he lost to Bea and those two other trainers? It makes no sense, he’s lost plenty before, and doubted himself many times, yet was hesitant to battle against that Tentacruel’s tentacles. The kid honestly evolves and devolves constantly, for no real reasons at times, and if it’s for development, then why do some things not change, like his attitude towards criticism?
With Rockruff in S&M, he trained with it by, ahem...shaking his butt...and no matter how ridiculous that is, it was to train like his Pokemon, so he could understand them to better battle with them. Yet here, like you said, he doesn’t battle with Farfetch’d in sync, or it’s style. I don’t get it. Why.

Actually, in that episode when Pikachu’s ran away, Ash clearly wasn’t able to read Pikachu’s feelings. Like, what?! What is wrong with this kid’s growth?

Last edited:
This has always been a problem with the anime, from day one. Characters aren’t consistent, and this especially applies towards Ash.
It wouldn’t make sense for Ash to feel insulted by criticism anymore, considering all he’s been through and all he’s learnt from leaders, rivals, etc.
However...why did he go through that “depressive period” after he lost to Bea and those two other trainers? It makes no sense, he’s lost plenty before, and doubted himself many times, yet was hesitant to battle against that Tentacruel’s tentacles. The kid honestly evolves and devolves constantly, for no real reasons at times, and if it’s for development, then why do some things not change, like his attitude towards criticism?
With Rockruff in S&M, he trained with it by, ahem...shaking his butt...and no matter how ridiculous that is, it was to train like his Pokemon, so he could understand them to better battle with them. Yet here, like you said, he doesn’t battle with Farfetch’d in sync, or it’s style. I don’t get it. Why.

Actually, in that episode when Pikachu’s ran away, Ash clearly wasn’t able to read Pikachu’s feelings. Like, what?! What is wrong with this kid’s growth?

Not a fan of how the losing streak generally, much less how they went about it (would've preferred a brooding session over the loss to Bea, but others wouldn't have liked that either) but despite experiences, people get down (on themselves, etc) when losing a bunch, or when they feel they're losing if you can't measure it, despite probably having gone through it before, that's just human. That being said, this episode (while stating that all of Ash's Pokemon have gotten to battle to raise his rank to 415) it also sort of highlighted the lack of Farfetch'd screen time (which I appreciated) a few times: Farfetch'd being surprised about being asked to travel to the Rock Tunnel, the "out of sync battling" etc (though part of that also stated in this episode is Farfetch'd being stubborn, and just thinking that hitting things really hard will improve it's strength). I understand having issue with it, and narratively, given they all have battled now (even if we didn't see it) I took it as the writers shouting out fans/themselves who have called out Farfetch'ds lack of screentime/lacking to give Farfetch'd time.

The part about Ash and synch is probably a result of it seeming like Farfetch'd's attitude was a bit of a new one to them. It's possible the guy had brooded for a bit and was particularly at issue.

Like imagine this: Ash is normally 80% in Synch with Farfetch'd. In most battles this isn't noticeable, but the flare up made that 20% gap more of an issue than it usually is. Ash has a combination of empathetic, clueless ,and determined qualities he could easily muster through with a synch issue well enough most of the time, and then be surprised it is a problem when the issue considerably flares up

Maybe I'm overthinking it a bit, but the thing that's still bothering me is how a leech can cut through a massive steel beam? That's a pretty big logical mistake if you ask me and they could at least have come up with a more plausible way for Farfetch'd to break through Gurdurr's defence
I mean, this is the same series where Oshawott flawlessly deflected a beam of hypercharged solar radiation with a shell, so... not that shocking when you think about it.

He wasn't belittling Ash. He was just giving constructive criticism, and then demonstrated what he meant with a brief battle. He even purposefully used False Swipe to avoid hurting Farfetch'd too much.
Well, if I remember correctly (and if the subtitles were right), Rinto pointed out Kamonegi's "inadequacy". I mean it's not ouright rude, but still, it's pretty harsh, isn't it? Usually, Ash would strongly disapprove of a foreigener saying something like that about his Pokemon. Later on, however, Rinto became more friendly.

It's fairly obvious that Rinto will appear again. The question is though what his role will be. I could see him being a Rival for Ash that is also trying to reach #1 in the Rankings and his competing with him for higher rankings, similar to Bea. I didn't get that impression from this episode though. If that were the case, he and Ash most likely would have had an official PWC battle here.

I'm currently more leaning towards Rinto being an extremely high ranked PWC Trainer, possibly even Top 8 (that would also explain the lack of official PWC battle, because they're currently not in the same Rank). I've seen a lot of people bringing up known names like Champions and Elite Four for the Top 8, but it doesn't have to be the case at all. The PWC is all about regular Trainers climbing up in the ranks, so it wouldn't be too outlandish to have an unknown like Rinto being a Top 8 Trainer.

Rinto could be one of the last hurdles Ash faces in the Top 8 tournament; they've certainly set him up to be a mystery at the very least. Admittedly, I'm way speculating about all of this of course, I mean for all we know Rinto is just some strong rando who becomes a mentor to Farfetch'd but isn't in the PWC at all.

It's fairly obvious that Rinto will appear again. The question is though what his role will be. I could see him being a Rival for Ash that is also trying to reach #1 in the Rankings and his competing with him for higher rankings, similar to Bea. I didn't get that impression from this episode though. If that were the case, he and Ash most likely would have had an official PWC battle here.

I'm currently more leaning towards Rinto being an extremely high ranked PWC Trainer, possibly even Top 8 (that would also explain the lack of official PWC battle, because they're currently not in the same Rank). I've seen a lot of people bringing up known names like Champions and Elite Four for the Top 8, but it doesn't have to be the case at all. The PWC is all about regular Trainers climbing up in the ranks, so it wouldn't be too outlandish to have an unknown like Rinto being a Top 8 Trainer.

Rinto could be one of the last hurdles Ash faces in the Top 8 tournament; they've certainly set him up to be a mystery at the very least. Admittedly, I'm way speculating about all of this of course, I mean for all we know Rinto is just some strong rando who becomes a mentor to Farfetch'd but isn't in the PWC at all.

Imagine Rinto being the new champion in the Sinnoh remakes (If they happen).

Imagine Rinto being the new champion in the Sinnoh remakes (If they happen).
There is no way they will remove Cynthia.
Never will that happen. Never!

In my eyes, Rinto will probably turn out to be either another Paul or another Bea.

That's what I was trying to describe here:

It think it's because:

A.) Ash is more mature now
B.) Ash is more aloof now
or C.) a mixture of the two

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom