• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I'd think that a Pokemon with okay stats and the right nature would be the obvious answer. You can of course fix that by breeding, especially if the Pokemon with great stats is a male... then just use an everstone on a female of the right nature. Usually I will keep males with at least one good stat (31) around from breeding projects even if it's not what I want, because I can always breed him with another species in the future that may need that stat.

"Range for tolerance" is subjective. Some people will settle for "good enough", some people say only around 28 and higher, and some people will do the tedious work of getting 31 in the two most important stats. Personally for me it just comes down to what I can do. Generally during my first breeding wave, I hatch about 30 eggs, assuming half of them are the right nature... check IVs, and if I'm not satisfied, I take the best male and best female, and repeat the process. After that I usually get something nice, but not always, in which case I'll just take the best and leave it at that. If the results are truly horrible and I don't like it after trying it out, I'll ask for outside help.

Okay... I've recently caught some shiny female Nidorans. I plan to use one on a stealth rock/toxic spikes/spikes/sandstorm kind of team (not necessarily all those things, just have decided which yet). I need to choose between an impish one with poison point, and an impish one with rivalry. Their IVs are decent enough for shiny Pokemon, and they don't vary enough to make that a deal breaker. I'm just wondering if poison point is going to be redundant on a team with toxic spikes... or if rivalry is too risky (although I will probably only have one attack move on her, two at most). Opinions?

@Rappak: Ten percent of a stat of 200 is five points higher than the fifteen points you lost for not having 30 IVs. That's all you need to know. Then there's always the possibility of breeding the Pokemon with the crappy stats but right nature with the one with good stats but wrong nature.

@dukeburger: Use Poison Point for the possibility of being able to poson Steel types

@dukeburger: Use Poison Point for the possibility of being able to poson Steel types

Are you sure that actually works? It took me quite a few tries to get my Nidoran chain to 40; I had boxes and boxes of regular Nidorans on Ranch from all the broken chains, which were caught by the aid of my Scizor who false swiped them. I'm pretty sure false swipe is a direct attack, and never once was my Scizor poisoned. The whole reason I used Scizor is because I figured there was no way he could be poisoned by poison point.

I can't find anytihng that says it would or wouldn't, in any case, there are still Flying Pokemon and those with levitate.

I am making my first battling team and i have 2 things i am wondering about.

1. What exactly is the point of a lead If there is any specific role a lead plays?
2. Are hacked pokemon allowed in the wifi battles? (even if they are hacked with fair stats just for sake of time like i will do.)

1) A leads job is to set the tone of the battle (ideally in your favor). Leads can play any number of roles. Some leads are designed to set up (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Weather moves, Baton Pass) some leads are used to scout the opponent's moves, or do high amounts of damage quickly, some leads inflict status, and some leads are designed to take out other leads, or create an opening for another Pokémon on your team. So it all depends on what you want your lead to to.

2) Unless you and your opponent have already agreed to the use of hacks, hacked Pokémon are generally not allowed by most wi-fi battlers.

I'm considering an Empoleon for the final slot in the Sandstorm team I put up a while back. With that team, my main concerns were Water, Grass, and Ice attacks, especially STABed ones. I wanted something who would resist all of those types (as well as hit back super-effectively on the STABers), and was also in need of a fairly sturdy wall. I came up with this:

Empoleon@Leftovers
Brave nature
EVs: 252HP/32Def/32Atk/32Sp.Atk/32Sp.Def
-- Swords Dance
-- Grass Knot/Ice Beam
-- Aqua Jet/Waterfall
-- Drill Peck

Swording Empoleon with a little twist. Brave nature so Grass Knot or Ice Beam can remain at full power. Grass Knot will help with things like Swampert, or Ice Beam for dragons I otherwise have problems covering. Aqua Jet or Waterfall both run off STAB and get boosted by Swords Dance - the only choice is between a priority move or higher base power. Drill Peck is for things like Ludicolo, Breloom, and Heracross. The EVs need major work - the idea is to make Empoleon as bulky as possible while still able to deal enough damage to KO the things I need it to.

Maybe I'm totally blind (I feel like I read the EV guide ten times over, and then ten times again), but I'm still a little fuzzy on the effects of vitamins. In my experience, each pokemon has a limit of 63 vitamins. I did this for a newly-hatched-in-third-gen-and-transferred-to-fourth-gen Eevee one morning, and took the resultant Espeon out for a spin. A few levels later, I visited the seal shop, and the Espeon received the Effort Ribbon, meaning she'd maxed her EVs. Unfortunately, I didn't think to check directly after giving her the 63 vitamins, and I've not yet amassed enough cash to do another one right now.

*deep breath*

Basically, if you string a pokemon out on vitamins, is EV training after that pointless?

What game is this -_-

• Each vitamin gives ten EV points.
  • Each stat can only recieve vitamins until it reaches 100 EVs
  • This means that at zero EVs, you can take ten vitamins for each stat
  • You can only have 510 EVs total, 508 of them will be useful
  • 255 EVs maximum on each stat, 252 of which are useful
  • How you managed 63 vitamins when there are only six stats, I will never know.
Do the math, its not that hard. Obviously EV training is pointless after getting the effort ribbon, since it means your EVs are maxed out.

What game is this -_-
Clearly fourth gen, since I said so in my post. :|

• Each vitamin gives ten EV points.
  • Each stat can only recieve vitamins until it reaches 100 EVs
  • This means that at zero EVs, you can take ten vitamins for each stat
  • You can only have 510 EVs total, 508 of them will be useful
  • 255 EVs maximum on each stat, 252 of which are useful
  • How you managed 63 vitamins when there are only six stats, I will never know.
Do the math, its not that hard. Obviously EV training is pointless after getting the effort ribbon, since it means your EVs are maxed out.

Thanks, I guess. For all that your attitude is awful. :V

No. Species clause prevents two or more Pokémon with the same National Dex number from being in the team, not two or more Pokémon from the same family.

With types that don't get affected by poison moves such as toxic and poison powder, but can be hit by oyher poison moves such as sludge bomb or twin needle, is there any possiblity the poison moves can poison the pokemon that cannot be affected by poison or am I right thinking that can't happen?

TwinNeedle's a Bug move, not a Poison move >_>

I'm pretty sure that the only way Steel-types can get poisoned is by TwinNeedle or Poison Point.. I could be wrong.

Or a Normalize Toxic (Delcatty). Other than that, those are the only ways.

Do Intimidate and Rivalry cancel each other out? Meaning, say, if 2 male Luxray go out at the same time in battle. One has Intimidate and the other Rivalry. Is the boost gained from Rivalry able to cancel out the decrease from Intimidate?

TwinNeedle's a Bug move, not a Poison move >_>

I'm pretty sure that the only way Steel-types can get poisoned is by TwinNeedle or Poison Point.. I could be wrong.

Eh eh eh. Have you tried Poison Point, Effect Spore and Poison Orb?

I know that Hail lasts five turns as a move (or seven with item).

If I use Abomasnow as my lead, how long would it last if left uninterupted?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom