• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the criticisms is how this capture was done. This is the first legendary (if you're not counting Ash with Nebby since that isn't a legendary) that is being caught. There is no build up up here, this is just another self-contained episode that rushes through everything. Had this been a 3 parter where we got to see an emotional connection between Goh and Suicine, then i'm sure the criticism wouldn't be as loud.

Technically speaking, Meltan would be the first Legendary Pokemon caught by a main character. I can understand wanting more buildup to Goh capturing Suicune, but there wasn't much, if any, buildup for Ash to capture Meltan either. They were building up to Meltan appearing, but not for a capture. Ash didn't even bond with Meltan during that episode and it was caught primarily because of how it had become friends with Rowlet. But a lot of people were still excited about Ash catching his first Legendary Pokemon at the time. Admittedly, it isn't a perfect comparison when Meltan was a part of Ash's team, while Suicune is guaranteed to be a temporary capture practically. Not to mention the complaints about Goh's catching method since Journeys started would make this more of an issue too. But capturing Legendary Pokemon without proper buildup or establishing an emotional connection still isn't really new exactly.

Besides that, I think that people are really quick to judge this episode rather harshly. We don't know what happens after Goh catches Suicune, what effect that will have on Goh or what leads to Suicune being released. It is probably a way for the writers to get around Goh catching Legendary Pokemon by making it temporary capture, but it could also be an important moment for Goh and give him development. People are upset over the preview, which is understandable to a degree, but I don't think that it's fair to judge an episode before it airs, especially over a pretty blatant clickbait preview.

Technically speaking, Meltan would be the first Legendary Pokemon caught by a main character. I can understand wanting more buildup to Goh capturing Suicune, but there wasn't much, if any, buildup for Ash to capture Meltan either. They were building up to Meltan appearing, but not for a capture. Ash didn't even bond with Meltan during that episode and it was caught primarily because of how it had become friends with Rowlet. But a lot of people were still excited about Ash catching his first Legendary Pokemon at the time. Admittedly, it isn't a perfect comparison when Meltan was a part of Ash's team, while Suicune is guaranteed to be a temporary capture practically. Not to mention the complaints about Goh's catching method since Journeys started would make this more of an issue too. But capturing Legendary Pokemon without proper buildup or establishing an emotional connection still isn't really new exactly.

Besides that, I think that people are really quick to judge this episode rather harshly. We don't know what happens after Goh catches Suicune, what effect that will have on Goh or what leads to Suicune being released. It is probably a way for the writers to get around Goh catching Legendary Pokemon by making it temporary capture, but it could also be an important moment for Goh and give him development. People are upset over the preview, which is understandable to a degree, but I don't think that it's fair to judge an episode before it airs, especially over a pretty blatant clickbait preview.
None of the main characters have caught a real legendary pokemon yet. If this rookie goh catches a suicune then i don’t know if this series is even canon lol. Btw melmetal is mythical and ultra beast are indeed myhtixal

Doesn't matter if it's a temporary or permanent capture, the Goh fanboys will be all like. "See I knew Goh was going to catch Suicune" "He's going to catch Entei and Raikou and..." "Goh is such an experience trainer". it gets annoying

Doesn't matter if it's a temporary or permanent capture, the Goh fanboys will be all like. "See I knew Goh was going to catch Suicune" "He's going to catch Entei and Raikou and..." "Goh is such an experience trainer". it gets annoying
I really haven't encountered these "Gou fanboys" you speak of, certainly not on this site. Most people who like Gou seem to be fairly critical of him as well.

Frankly, I find it alarming if Gou's first instinct to save Suicune is to capture it. The poachers look to be on the same level as Team Skull, surely Ash and Gou could easily knock them into next week. He's taking advantage.

I really haven't encountered these "Gou fanboys" you speak of, certainly not on this site. Most people who like Gou seem to be fairly critical of him as well.

Frankly, I find it alarming if Gou's first instinct to save Suicune is to capture it. The poachers look to be on the same level as Team Skull, surely Ash and Gou could easily knock them into next week. He's taking advantage.
It's actually easy to tell if someone is a Goh fanboy. If they get over hyped when a legendary appears because they think Goh will catch it, Claim the legendary will join Golurk as a "Lab Guardians", or claims Goh is an experienced trainer because of an off-screen win or raboot getting knocking Zapdoes to the ground, then you got a Goh fanboy.

It's actually easy to tell if someone is a Goh fanboy. If they get over hyped when a legendary appears because they think Goh will catch it, Claim the legendary will join Golurk as a "Lab Guardians", or claims Goh is an experienced trainer because of an off-screen win or raboot getting knocking Zapdoes to the ground, then you got a Goh fanboy.
Ah. I think, theoretically, if someone said all that, they might just be doing it to trigger people.

Last edited:
I can literally just think of 1 person who acts like this on the forums. It's just a vocal minority.

It feels like an annoying means of the writers trying to have their cake and eat it too without realizing the inconsistent and contrived effect that it has. After all, all the times that they’ve encountered the likes of TRio or other villains who captured Pokémon in much more intricate traps, catching the Pokémon to save it never even crossed anyone’s minds yet somehow in this scenario it does for no apparent reason. Hell, they’re also expecting us to believe that these hunters just sit there and watch Go throw a pokeball at Suicune and do nothing to stop him despite being competent enough to capture Suicune in the first place. Sure it’s just a preview that we have but it’s got more holes than Swiss Cheese.

And it's a basic Pokeball. It should take alot more than one Pokeball to catch something that high catch rate. It takes me multiple Ultraballs to catch a legendary. I'll be lucky if I catch it with a great ball and if I use a basic pokeball, i'll never catch it. So Goh catches Suicune with a basic Pokeball like it's a Ratata is poor writing. Doesn't matter how weak it is, it's still poor writing
Catch rate in the anime is nowhere near the same as catch rate in the games. This has been established since the OS.
Besides, we've seen Legendaries in regular Poké Balls before. Brandon's Legendary titans and Tobias's Latios come to mind.

Just open twitter and type #anipoke and see under "top" u will find way too many post abusing those who criticize goh

None of the main characters have caught a real legendary pokemon yet. If this rookie goh catches a suicune then i don’t know if this series is even canon lol. Btw melmetal is mythical and ultra beast are indeed myhtixal

The notion of a real Legendary Pokemon in this case just seems like a case of splitting hairs, especially when there are a ton of Legendary Pokemon out there at this point. I know that Melmetal is labeled as Mythical, but they're still Legendary Pokemon at the end of the day, so I don't think that there's any real difference between something like Meltan and Suicune in that case. Journeys is still canon regardless of how you feel about this development and I don't know about Goh still being considered a rookie at this point. I don't think he's that much of an experienced trainer yet, but I don't think it's fair or accurate to label him as a rookie either.

I think that's kind of a harsh way to look at Goh. We don't know what exactly caused him to go for the catching option first or even if it is his first instinct, but assuming that he's just taking advantage of the situation for his own gain, as opposed to having a potentially fast way to save Suicune, seems like an unnecessarily harsh read on the situation.

Ah. I think, theoretically, if someone said all that, they might just be doing it to trigger people.

Or maybe they genuinely like the notion of Goh catching Legendary Pokemon. Just because they have different opinions from other users here doesn't necessarily mean that they're trying to trigger people by saying them. It isn't a crime to not hate Goh or to not have a major problem with him catching Suicune after all.

Or maybe they genuinely like the notion of Goh catching Legendary Pokemon. Just because they have different opinions from other users here doesn't necessarily mean that they're trying to trigger people by saying them. It isn't a crime to not hate Goh or to not have a major problem with him catching Suicune after all.
Well...
I did saw some people over at Serebii (and Twitter) saying they'd enjoy Goh keeping Suicine (or any other legendary for that matter) because that'd make the western fanbase angry and they 'enjoy watching the salt' or 'watching the fanbase's blood vessels pop up' and how everyone criticizing Goh for keeping legendaries is just 'a salty hater having a meltdown'.
They seem to be in a minority, but still.

Last edited:
I'm expecting one big ass apology series after this is over. I'm talking Cross-dressing team rocket every episode, gyms, a strong female trainer who is equal to ash, a region that can actually be explored, a plot and an overarching story to the season, a cocky rival. Make me proud like you did after Best Wishes were over.

Besides, we've seen Legendaries in regular Poké Balls before. Brandon's Legendary titans and Tobias's Latios come to mind.
Experience trainers who most likely had to work hard for years to catch their legendaries vs a kid who has far less experienc and doesn't put in the hard work.

And you know how their Pokemon were caught how exactly?

Let's see. Brendan (A frontier brain who is considered one of the strongest trainers in the anime/games)
Tobias. Who is obviously an adult, therefore has had years of experience and likely has swept through every league
Goh. Can barely battle. Only cares about catching mew. Has only been traveling for a couple of months...

which one is the odd one out...

I'm indifferent towards Gou capturing Suicune. We all know he's gonna release the darn thing anyways

What I DO dislike is how people are calling those who don't want Goh to capture Suicune "Hypocrites" because we capture Legendary Pokémon in the Games.

Games =/= Anime

Just because someone likes catching Legendary Pokémon in the games does not mean that they'd like to see it happening in the Anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom