• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • He has trouble making friends.
  • He is not athletic
  • He got swept in his first battle
  • He failed to catch Dewgong 10.000's of times
  • He failed to catch Farfetch'd
  • His pokemon was acting distant towards him
  • His win rate is the worst out of the JN gang
  • He needed help to catch a giant Magikarp
  • He lost the Magikarp Jump contest
  • Sobble abandoned him
  • He could not catch Zapdos
  • Him and Ash got swept by Mewtwo
  • He could not stop Ice Cream from melting
  • He did not understand the researchers were not bad guys
I'm sure there are more but this is long.
"Has trouble making friends" - Matters how when everyone treats him with so much kindness and he has all the Pokemon being obedient angels in his dome? Even in episode 37, which was one of the episodes where this flaw actually came to play, everyone was just soooooo nice to him.

"He is not athletic" - Again - matters how? He never has to employ any methods to mitigate that shortcoming, and outside of episode 3 where he needs Ash's help, he had no trouble catching up with him any other time. Became quite obsolete after he crossed the rope bridge made by his Caterpie in episode 46 without any signs of being tired.

"He got swept in his first battle" - Yeah, kinda sucks he won every other one he participated in, doesn't it, in spite of having little to none on-screen development, and did so while staying confident, right? (Barring Mewtwo. [Zapdos doesn't count. He didn't defeat Goh, he just flew away.])

"Failed to catch Dewgong&Farfetch'd" - In the later scenario, Farfetch'd just kept coming back to him as if driven by plot. And even then, whether or not he catches it has no reall impact on his goall, it's just one of the hundreds. In the former... Same thing applies here, and it wasn't because of a flaw of his character, either You could argue that it prevents him from catching a Dragonite, but putting aside what I already said about him still having plenty of other PokemAsh offered him a Pokeball and he refused it so...

"His Pokemon was acting distant towards him" - Because he was in his edgy teens, lol. Unrelated to flaws of Goh's character. Every other one was quite fine with their situation, maybe except for Sobble and even that was very brief.

"His win rate is the worst" - How does it matter?

"He needed help to catch a giant Magikarp" - And do you know how he got him out in the first place? Because James gave a him a lure that was apparently so powerfull it worked instantaneously. So either nobody ever used that lure in spite of there being hundreds of people that had the perfect conditions, knowledge and a desire to use it (the area around the lake appears pretty crowded), or the lure didn't factor in at all and Goh is tremendously lucky. Also - He needed help only to reel it in, not to actually catch it.

"He lost the Magikarp Jump contest" - Because he trained his Magikarp better than everyone else did. It jumped higher than a veteran who was implied to be in this business for some time now. It's not tied to flaws of his character at all, it only counted as a loss for him because of a technicality.

"Sobble abandoned him" - It was resolved in the same episode that happened, but this is actually one of the better counters, I'll give you that much.

"He could not catch Zapdos" - Not because of flaws of his character. At all. And this failure had no negative effect on him whatsoever. Also brought him down and got the Pokeball up to three pings. By now, I believe you have probably noticed it, but 'he failed to catch that one Pokemon' is hardly a solid argument to counter his Stui-ness. Like... Come on. He failed to catch that one Pokemon that one time - What does it matter? Who cares? Still got plenty of them, still caught a lot of them easily.

"Him and Ash got swept by Mewtwo" - And that doesn't impede his progress to his goall. It's not related to flaws of his character at all. He even smiles about it at the end.

"He could not stop Ice Cream from melting" - WHAAAAAAAAAT!? :ROFLMAO:

"He did not understand the researchers were not bad guys" - And the sole evidence he needed to trust them was them saying they're researchers. It was a simple misunderstanding - again, not a flaw of his character.

Man, I respect you for trying. I really do. But... These just aren't really solid arguments.

Last edited:
A Poisoned Suicune, ironic, when it's stated that it can purify any kind of polluted water.
Those poachers don't seem very competent, leaving an opening for Gou to throw a Monster Ball.

"Has trouble making friends" - Matters how when everyone treats him with so much kindness and he has all the Pokemon being obedient angels in his dome? Even in episode 37, which was one of the episodes where this flaw actually came to play, everyone was just soooooo nice to him.
The he has trouble making ''Human'' friends. You even mentioned an episode like in JN037
"He is not athletic" - Again - matters how? He never has to employ any methods to mitigate that shortcoming, and outside of episode 3 where he needs Ash's help, he had no trouble catching up with him any other time. Became quite obsolete after he crossed the rope bridge made by his Caterpie in episode 46 without any signs of being tired.
He was still unathletic at the time. That is a flaw. Also he is usally behind Ash in every single scenario.
"He got swept in his first battle" - Yeah, kinda sucks he won every other one he participated in, doesn't it? (Barring Mewtwo. [Zapdos doesn't count. He didn't defeat Goh, he just flew away.])
Scyther, Matori Matrix and Team Rocket disagree.
"Failed to catch Dewgong&Farfetch'd" - In the later scenario, Farfetch'd just kept coming back to him as if driven by plot. And even then, whether or not he catches it has no reall impact on his goall, it's just one of the hundreds. In the former... Same thing applies here, and it wasn't because of a flaw of his character, either You could argue that it prevents him from catching a Dragonite, but putting aside what I already said about him still having plenty of other PokemAsh offered him a Pokeball and he refused it so...
He still failed. That is a flaw.
"His Pokemon was acting distant towards him" - Because he was in his edgy teens, lol. Unrelated to flaws of Goh's character. Every other one was quite fine with their situation, maybe except for Sobble and even that was very brief.
It was because he rejected it as a Scorbunny.
"His win rate is the worst" - How does it matter?
It is a flaw.
"He needed help to catch a giant Magikarp" - And do you know how he got him out in the first place? Because James gave a him a lure that was apparently so powerfull it worked instantaneously. So either nobody ever used that lure in spite of there being hundreds of people that had the perfect conditions, knowledge and a desire to use it (the area around the lake appears pretty crowded), or the lure didn't factor in at all and Goh is tremendously lucky. Also - He needed help only to reel it in, not to actually catch it.
The lure was picked by James not Goh. He still needed help to reel it in.
"He lost the Magikarp Jump contest" - Because he trained his Magikarp better than everyone else did. It jumped higher than a veteran who was implied to be in this business for some time now. It's not tied to flaws of his character at all, it only counted as a loss for him because of a technicality.
A loss is a loss.
"He could not catch Zapdos" - Not because of flaws of his character. At all. And this failure had no negative effect on him whatsoever. By now, I believe you have probably noticed it, but 'he failed to catch that one Pokemon' is hardly a solid argument to counter his Stui-ness. Like... Come on. He failed to catch that one Pokemon that one time - What does it matter? Who cares? Still got plenty of them, still caught a lot of them easily.
Him being unable to defeat a Pokemon is a flaw.
"Him and Ash got swept by Mewtwo" - And that doesn't impede his progress to his goall. It's not related to flaws of his character at all. He even smiles about it at the end.
Failed to catch it=Flaw
"He could not stop Ice Cream from melting" - WHAAAAAAAAAT!? :ROFLMAO:
DP116.jpg

Ok I'll admit this is not even a flaw.
"He did not understand the researchers were not bad guys" - And the sole evidence he needed to trust them was them saying they're researchers. It was a simple misunderstanding - again, not a flaw of his character.
Lack of understanding skills=Flaw

Last edited:
Goh is just horrible. His entire character arc, whether or not a Gary Stu, is just indefensible. I go on Twitter and I actually see some people calling him the Best Companion which is ridiculous. From my standpoint, Goh is far far worst than both Iris and Cilan combined. I even enjoyed Iris's Character Arc more than his. The Show seemed to be attempting something at the beginning (with Episode 3 & etc) but it quickly nosedived after most of the fandom had understood that his arc is basically throwing Pokeballs at Pokemon without battling them.

Goh is just horrible. His entire character arc, whether or not a Gary Stu, is just indefensible. I go on Braindead Twitter and I actually see some people calling him the Best Companion which is ridiculous.
Goh's goal is just downright awful and his development is rushed. But those are the only flaws about him. He is also not a Gary Stu.

Okay can we discuss the flaws in Goh's character elsewhere? We do have a thread for that.

Also good lord, I really do want to make an actually deep analysis about Mary Sues/Gary Stus because a lot of people still clearly don't understand what actually makes a character one. I would also like to put the addendum that it's entirely possible, even probable, for a character to be poorly-written without being a Sue/Stu. Not every character you dislike is automatically a Stu, people. The concept of a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is actually far more complicated than "this character is too perfect and does way too many cool things!"

Okay can we discuss the flaws in Goh's character elsewhere? We do have a thread for that.

Also good lord, I really do want to make an actually deep analysis about Mary Sues/Gary Stus because a lot of people still clearly don't understand what actually makes a character one. I would also like to put the addendum that it's entirely possible, even probable, for a character to be poorly-written without being a Sue/Stu. Not every character you dislike is automatically a Stu, people. The concept of a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is actually far more complicated than "this character is too perfect and does way too many cool things!"
Well, if you're going to do it, I'll be tremendously happy to respond to it.

Final Reminder
Friends,
Again, this is a thread for discussing the upcoming Suicune episode. If you would like to discuss something off topic, you can always quote the post in a different thread such as the General Discussion Thread. Please also keep our PSA regarding Goh in mind when making your respectful arguments. As several attempts have been made to keep this thread on track, any further off-topic discussions are subject to further action from moderators.

Thanks,
-A&M Staff

Last edited:
I think it’d be good for Goh’s character to catch Suicune to save it, then release it at the end of the episode, but if he does keep it I can’t say I’ll lose sleep over it. I guess I’m just not invested enough into Journeys to really care.

Prediction:

Assuming after the “capture”, the poachers are going to chase them for the remainder of the episode.
Goh and Ash will get separated, Cinderace will get knocked out from sheer exhaustion, or gets overwhelmed by the amount of Pokemon the poachers have, and Goh will use Suicuine to battle them, despite its injured state and they succeed, or perhaps they make it really interesting and Goh fails to protect Suicuine?
Sobble would have hidden away, and that sparks the next epsiode where it meets Inteleon, realising it wants to be stronger for Goh.

Look, whatever happens in the episode, we can all agree that the preview is one of, if the most, negative receive preview in all of Pokemon just based of the notion that Goh might catch Suicune.

And now, even if the pokédex-Rotom-phone starts to say the name of Suicune if he catches it, it starts to change in the middle of the explanation because it's another Pokémon who can transform or is an illusionist. A Smeargle with transform would be funny. I guess I will not be the case, but it would be funny if it is. And maybe a transforming pokémon reminds him of his encounter with Mew some more, declaring it's a big step on his way to catch the Mythical Pokémon Mew. Otherwise... If I was Suicune, I would consider Goh's Pokéball as an escape plan.

If they manage to make the episode emotional, then uh, I might be lenient in my judgment. Just putting it out there before even that doesn't happen.

Goh: You did a great job Suicune!
Suicune: Sui! *transforms back into ditto* Ditto!
Ash, Goh, Pikachu, Lucario and Cinderace: ...!!! *faints from shock*
Ash: so.. Goh: suicun... Ash: was.. Both: a ditto... *both fell unconsious from the shock*
Sobble: Oh no!!! I need to get them Medicne!!! *wanders off to a movie theather*
Next episode prewiew: Messon Messon Me! Me! Messon Messon Messon Messon! Messon Messon Messon Messon... Messon Messon Messon Me! Messon Messon! Messon Me-Messon! Messon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom