• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Of course Goh caught Suicune. He already caught Eternatus why are you guys surprised?
I don’t think it was obvious in any way shape or form that it would it be caught. This is a vastly different situation to Eternatus will far less build-up. Not to mention that Eternatus is sealed away for safety while Suicune is not.
Opinions on Goh have their own dedicated thread.
That one sentence is just part of their overall review of the episode. No need to mini-mod.

Edit: If anyone wants to make entire (respectful) posts about Goh, you can feel free to use the thread about Journeys or the General Anime Discussion thread.

Last edited:
I don’t think it was obvious in any way shape or form that it would it be caught. This is a vastly different situation to Eternatus will far less build-up. Not to mention that Eternatus is sealed away for safety while Suicune is not.

That one sentence is just part of their overall review of the episode. No need to mini-mod.

Edit: If anyone wants to make entire (respectful) posts about Goh, you can feel free to use the thread about Journeys or the General Anime Discussion thread.
My point was that if Goh already succeeded in catching one Legendary it could happen again. Eternatus being sealed is irrelevant, it could still come back in the future.

My point was that if Goh already succeeded in catching one Legendary it could happen again. Eternatus being sealed is irrelevant, it could still come back in the future.
But what you said was “why are you guys surprised”, and I think it’s pretty clear that people were surprised because this situation is much different than that of Eternatus.

It’s also not irrelevant that Eternatus is sealed. That’s a huge difference between it and Suicune.

Whether he's ready or not is pretty much an opinion at this point.
Not really. While he has gotten better at battling, he's still early in his journey. It's like if Ash caught Zapdoes, Moltres, or Articuno in his Kanto journey. Still a novice, not a super experience trainer.

Kicking a fireball at someone vs using what is essentially a knife. Knife wins. Cinderace doesn't exactly have the best moveset for this specific purpose.
And meanwhile it also has moves like Blaze Kick which could be used to cut the rope. Or Pikachu could have used the aforementioned Iron Tail to cut it instead of Ash sitting there gawking like a background extra. Alternatively, they could have attacked the poachers. Even getting one to lose their grip would have been enough to help Suicune get loose. Nothing about this scenario had that catching it was the only option.

Not for long. It will likely be free at some point(Magnolia set that up) to travel the world like Suicune. That's the point I was making
That’s fine, but until that point arrives and it obeys Goh like Suicune, that continues to be a major difference between the two which made this episode difficult to predict.

Wow...just wow...

Well, to start with:
Anyone else think it's suspicious that when Gou "throws" the Pokeball, it's nowhere to be seen in the in the air, and there is no impact with Suicune? This seems to be a clever escape plan where Gou pretends to catch Suicune to create a diversion. It's the equivalent of pretending to throw a dog toy but secretly hiding it behind your back.

Also, if Gou did catch Suicune, the ball wouldn't magically fly back into his hands. It would fall to the ground like all of his other captures.
Eh, so much for that. A bit contrived how the ball bounced off of Garbodor's head an landed perfectly in Gou's hands, but that's a moot point.

Let's talk about the capture. Gou was entirely in the wrong to try and catch Suicune. That's second-degree poaching right there, and it was clearly NOT consensual judging by the rage that Suicune showed when Gou accidently let it out of the ball. It showed that it resented his actions by going so far as to freeze the ball out of his hand. Gou can apologize all he wants and claim the best of intentions, and I'm sure he genuinely cared about Suicune's well-being, but he took advantage of the situating to serve his own gain. Only someone who was absolutely itching to claim Suicune for themselves would have instantly decided that chucking a ball was the only option.

For all the respect Gou supposedly has for Ash, he certainly didn't give him a chance to handle the situation himself. Ash was gearing up for battle but instead Gou imposed his own will on the matter. Instead of a fair and manageable tag battle that would have no doubt ended in Suicune's rescue, Gou nabbed Suicune and fled the country, leaving Ash to fend for himself. How exactly is that the safer option? They eventually did have that tag battle later in the episode (where we see Suicune is capable of freeing itself from the net), which started out promising until you notice that Ash literally just stood there and didn't call out any attacks after making his entrance. Ash was completely nerfed and neutered this episode for the sole purpose of making Gou look like the hero, and to justify Suicune's complete infatuation with him by the end of the episode. Ash has shed more blood, sweat, and tears protecting Legendary Pokemon through the years, and they've never been so grateful as to want to give themselves to him, and you know what? That's exactly how it should be. A good protagonist will do good deeds without the need for a reward, but because they're just a genuinely good person.

And boy, Gou must really be chiseled in the likeness of Arceus himself. You're telling me that he: 1.) has the skill to catch Legendaries, 2.) Is so selfless that he offers to release them, and 3.) Is so sexy that the Legendary refuses to leave? This takes "having your cake and eating it too" to a whole new level. Honestly, I feel like they've crossed the point of no return with Gou. He's a bonified Legendary collector now, and there's no going back. I'm not even mad, just a little disappointed. Despite his development being pretty weak so far in my opinion, I've still been hopeful that they would find a way to salvage him into a genuinely compelling character some day, but now he'll always be a joke to me. He's just the cheap Pokemon GO cross-promotion I feared he would be.

As for positives, all I'll say is a pretty solid OST, and +1 point for Alolan Exeggutor, that was pretty great to see.

Capture1.PNG
Still waiting you guys...

Last edited:
Not for long. It will likely be free at some point(Magnolia set that up) to travel the world like Suicune. That's the point I was making
No. Eternatus is a rampaging beast. And they wont copy Suicune since both of them are different things. Goh also does not own Eternatus, he gave it to Magnolia.

No. Eternatus is a rampaging beast. And they wont copy Suicune since both of them are different things. Goh also does not own Eternatus, he gave it to Magnolia.
Once its free it doesn't need to remain a rampaging beast. Goh can reach out to it and calm it allowing it to roam the world like Suicune in peace

And meanwhile it also has moves like Blaze Kick which could be used to cut the rope. Or Pikachu could have used the aforementioned Iron Tail to cut it instead of Ash sitting there gawking like a background extra. Alternatively, they could have attacked the poachers. Even getting one to lose their grip would have been enough to help Suicune get loose. Nothing about this scenario had that catching it was the only option.
The point is that there is nothing unnatural about Go's instincts telling him to catch Suicune so that he can transport it to a safe place. The kid's goal is to catch Mew, so he doesn't have this preconceived notion that "catching legendaries is bad." He did the right thing in the end.

My qualms are with the way Suicune needed to be saved in the first place. Had this been a two-parter, they could have made the setup more convincing. In Legend of Thunder, Raikou needed to be taken to a Pokemon Center after that crystal sucked its power, but we never saw how Kenta and Marina transported it.

Last edited:
Wow...just wow...

Well, to start with:

Eh, so much for that. A bit contrived how the ball bounced off off Garbodor's head an landed perfectly in Gou's hands, but that's a moot point.

Let's talk about the capture. Gou was entirely in the wrong to try and catch Suicune. That's second-degree poaching right there, and it was clearly NOT consensual judging by the rage that Suicune showed when Gou accidently let it out of the ball. It showed that it resented his actions by going so far as to freeze the ball out of his hand. Gou can apologize all he wants and claim the best of intentions, and I'm sure he genuinely cared about Suicune's well-being, but he took advantage of the situating to serve his own gain. Only someone who was absolutely itching to claim Suicune for themselves would have instantly decided that chucking a ball was the only option.

For all the respect Gou supposedly has for Ash, he certainly didn't give him a chance to handle the situation himself. Ash was gearing up for battle but instead Gou imposed his own will on the matter. Instead of a fair and manageable tag battle that would have no doubt ended in Suicune's rescue, Gou nabbed Suicune and fled the country, leaving Ash to fend for himself. How exactly is that the safer option? They eventually did have that tag battle later in the episode (where we see Suicune is capable of freeing itself from the net), which started out promising until you notice that Ash literally just stood there and didn't call out any attacks after making his entrance. Ash was completely nerfed and neutered this episode for the sole purpose of making Gou look like the hero, and to justify Suicune's complete infatuation with him by the end of the episode. Ash has shed more blood, sweat, and tears protecting Legendary Pokemon through the years, and they've never been so grateful as to want to give themselves to him, and you know what? That's exactly how it should be. A good protagonist will do good deeds without the need for a reward, but because they're just a genuinely good person.

And boy, Gou must really be chiseled in the likeness of Arceus himself. You're telling me that he: 1.) has the skill to catch Legendaries, 2.) Is so selfless that he offers to release them, and 3.) Is so sexy that the Legendary refuses to leave? This takes "having your cake and eating it too" to a whole new level. Honestly, I feel like they've crossed the point of no return with Gou. He's a bonified Legendary collector now, and there's no going back. I'm not even mad, just a little disappointed. Despite his development being pretty weak so far in my opinion, I've still been hopeful that they would find a way to salvage him into a genuinely compelling character some day, but now he'll always be a joke to me. He's just the cheap Pokemon GO cross-promotion I feared he would be.

As for positives, all I'll say is a pretty solid OST, and +1 point for Alolan Exeggutor, that was pretty great to see.

Whatever you say, I will defend this episode and say the capture wasn't a bad thing to do, especially as Goh clearly intended it to be only temporary, as seen when he was willing to release Suicune.

Wow...just wow...

Well, to start with:

Eh, so much for that. A bit contrived how the ball bounced off off Garbodor's head an landed perfectly in Gou's hands, but that's a moot point.

I think this is a bit of an overreaction. Goh didn’t “second-degree poach” Suicune by saving it from...poachers. I believe the capture was consensual as evidenced by Suicune wanting to stay with Goh in the first place. He’s not a “Legendary collector” he’s caught 1 legend and sealed away another.

Once its free it doesn't need to remain a rampaging beast. Goh can reach out to it and calm it allowing it to roam the world like Suicune in peace
Please stop overhyping Goh. Eternatus has only shown interest in destruction. It would never listen to the kid that imprisoned it and would never roam the world peaceful.

If they decide to pull that considering how they setup Eternatus then they will in my opinion be writing a fanfic. Remember he has tried to destroy the world twice already.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom