• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN054: Messon in Possible!

I am waiting to see this episode with the subtitles to have a real opinion about the Team Rocket here but I did not find this episode exceptional... 1 minute lost of stock image for the motto animation, 2 minutes wasted with the gachat machine and they just played their usual role of antagonists (in the XY style) but nothing more... The confrontation of Jessie with Jacqueline was not at all what I hoped and ... where is the fantaisy of the great actress Musalina/Jessilina??? Something was missing in the Jessie’s behaviour... I found there were some missed opportunities...

I am wrong or James is in admiration for Inteleon? (But the geek James is always cool XD XD XD^^)

Last edited:
This was Adorable!

I actually don't even mind that Sobble didn't Evolve here. The Episode implies that it will happen later down the road anyways.

This episode felt a lot like Popplio and Brionne's. Popplio didn't Evolve in that Episode but it was a set up for an Evolution later down the line

I do wonder if we'll ever see Inteleon and Jacqueline ever again? I hope so, cause they seemed pretty awesome from what we saw of them!
Also nice note that Inteleon used to be in the same situation as Sobble. The little Finger Gun Poke was Adorable too.

A little minor but I actually really like Inteleon's Voice a lot. It's a lot deeper than I would've expected but it also sounds kinda badass imo?
His voice also gets a little softer when talking to Sobble.
Jacqueline's voice is a little Odd. She sounds so quiet I actually had to turn my volume up to hear her.

And also

DO YOU SEE THIS? THIS RIGHT HERE IS FREAKING WHOLESOME!!!!
EtdYRVCWYAAAbEg

Another thing that actually surprised me the most tho is how well treated with actual care that the writers gave to Inteleon.

That's not something a lot of Final Stage Starters can say.

The only Fully Evolved Starters that are usually given respect in the Anime are the Shillmon Starters. But Inteleon isn't the Shillmon Starter. That's Cinderace

I went into this episode fully expecting that Inteleon would be kidnapped, jobbing or being weakened by Team Rocket Gatcha Mon or some shit like that so Sobble would be made look more competent by comparison.

Instead I got Inteleon showing off such a Powerful Snipe Shot that it not only blasted Team Rocket away but also blasted their freaking CAR away too and Sobble simping so hard for Inteleon that it went and learned U-Turn because of it.
Plus Adorable moments between them that made my heart flutter.

So it made me so damn Happy they treated my favorite Galar Starter well.
Sobble may not have Evolved here but as an Inteleon fan I still feel quite validated :)

Last edited:
So, my one issue with the episode was the scene after they break from the spar, and Gou apparently questioned Sobble in some way, and Sobble got dejected (reminding me of the scene with Scorbunny) was just a way to show how Gou has progressed from that point, so isn't a complaint now. Other than that, Sobble was great, Intelleon was great, and I think the Team Rocket fans can appreciate them here (particularly Jessie, and then the car scene). Good episode.

What a surprise! I must admit that at first, I didn't expect too much from this episode because I thought it would be a generic filler. However, it turned out to be a well-written and, above all, an entertaining episode.

What I liked most was the fact the episode was consequently centered around the spy motif. From that movie set to Sobble's hit-and-run tactic to that fight inside the cave (btw. I found that setting of the cave very intriguing), it all fitted together very well. A golden thread running through the entire plot is guaranteed to make an episode better and I was very pleased to see it here, too!

The second noteworthy aspect was Sobble admiring Inteleon, which was both funny and kind of heart-warming to watch. And for some strange reason it reminded me of a certain user idolizing a certain Pokemon Master called Cynthia :notworthy:;)

And last but not least, I'd like to mention that Go can indeed be pretty skillful. If only there weren't that many episodes where he is given everything without having to work for it. But that's a different discussion... This particular version of Go is the one I'd like to see more often. Finally, I'm also relieved the episode was quite balanced between Go AND Ash with the latter getting a good amount of screentime (Something we can't take for granted at the moment)

All in all, a good episode that was fun to watch!

This was a cute episode. Episodes where Pokémon overcome their weaknesses with unconventional methods (here, adapating Messon's battle style to lean into its whole "sneaking around" thing) is much, much, MUCH more interesting than, say, Kamonegi's "me want be stronger RAAAARRRRRR." More episodes like this, please!

Also, I know people like to avoid using the word "competent" to describe the non-BW Rocket trio but you have to admit, having Pochiena use Scary Face to make Messon cry, knowing that its tears would incapcitate their opponents long enough for them to attack, was pretty damn competent.

KyseL said:
Was anyone else bothered by the voice performance / audio quality of the actress character? I usually don't like fixating in that kinda stuff, but it was a bit too off-putting to me.

Mythical-Moonlight said:
Jacqueline's voice is a little Odd. She sounds so quiet I actually had to turn my volume up to hear her.

The show got TV / movie actress Ms. Momoko Fukuchi to come in as a special guest to voice Jacqueline. Her casting was promoted on the show's official Twitter account and everything. This was her first time doing animation voiceover work so that's probably why her performance wasn't up to the same quality as the rest of the cast.

I like the subtle continuity, with the return of the director from the Ditto episode, which is acknowledged without an infodump on that episode's plot, and Team Rocket weaponising Sobble's tear inducing effect to incapacitate Ash, Go and their on hand teams.

The pun in the episode title really doesn't translate to English well. You need Sobble's Japanese name to achieve the Mission Impossible pun, so hopefully the dub can deliver better on a spy based pun. At least Inteleon's James Bond inspiration is acknowledged through one being in a spy film.

I watched the subs so lets... REWIEW!!!
:bulbaWave:Good Stuff
+
Sobble development
+ Sobble learning U-Turn
+ Sobble being cute
+ Sobble's new battle strategy
+ Inteleon
+ The episode wasnt that Goh focused
+ Team Rocket fighting with Meowth and Wobbufet.
:bulbaFacepalm:Bad Stuff
- THE WHOLE SOBBLE LINE DEBUTED BEFORE THWACKEY OR RILLABOOM.
- Wobbufet gets bullied
- THE STUPID GACHA.
:confused:Extra
So Sobble didn't evolve and I doubt it will before Grookey appears so that makes Ash mor likely to get it right?
7/10 Finally Sobble got some focus and it was hella solid.

Good episode with lots of Rocket screentime (that car entrance might have been the coolest thing we've seen in Journeys) and Go actually training his Pokemon. I would have liked more screentime from the movie star and Inteleon though.

The pun in the episode title really doesn't translate to English well. You need Sobble's Japanese name to achieve the Mission Impossible pun, so hopefully the dub can deliver better on a spy based pun.

Mission ImposSOBBLE

Okay, finally got around to watching this episode, and Sobble admiring Inteleon was the. Most. Precious. Thing. Ever! :bulbaLove: I especially like how Inteleon encourages Sobble and is super gentle with him, with the little finger gun pretend game being particularly adorable. Sobble's development was great too, and learning U-Turn is something I really like not just because it's a move we usually don't see in the anime, but it fits perfectly with Sobble's new hit-and-run battling style. Also, I'm so glad that Sobble didn't evolve here, because it would have felt so unearned if he had. Sure, the development was great, but just one episode of development shouldn't be enough to trigger an evolution; ideally an evolution should be the culmination of an arc spanning multiple episodes.

I really liked how Team Rocket was used here too, where they even displayed some clever tactics by having Poochyena use Scary Face to make Sobble cry and disable Ash and co. Overall, this was a solid episode. I don't think I've even got any negative points about it.

Yep it was nice. Finally we’ve got some solid sobble development and I love its new hit-and-run battle style as well. U turn was a pretty unexpected move but fits perfectly with it. I enjoyed watching Ash and Gog’s training sessions with it, and it’s always good seeing past CotDs (especially when the plots are similar). Glad he didn’t evolve here either. Inteleon was surprisingly cool too - finger guns+invisibility? Sign me up.

Yeah it’s a solid and much needed development episode. 7.5/10 from me.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom