• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN055: The Tale of You and Me in Luminous Maze Forest!?

Not gonna lie, I was a bit disappointed at first that Koharu didn't catch the Ponyta, but after watching it subbed and thinking it more thoroughly I honestly think that what we got was the best scenario, at least for now. As it is right at this moment, Koharu is still mostly going through the motions and doesn't even have a short term goal, so she doesn't have any use to getting more Pokémon, instead she's exploring the possibilities the Pokémon world has to offer without the burden of being the daughter of a Pokémon professor constantly looming over her. They did set up a possible re-encounter, and depending on the stage Koharu is on her soul-searching journey I can absolutely see her catching the Ponyta if it fits her narrative.

Also they didn't even name drop Opal (unless I missed something), so I would not be surprised to see her return in any shape or form later on.

Like a beautiful setting in a travelling series meant that the characters and us had been wandering for months through deciduous forest to unlock it, meanwhile they just... arrived there...
I totally agree!
That "instant jumping" (as I call it) between regions is getting lame and implausible if you ask me. Remember how much time they used to spend in previous regions in order to get to another place? And now ... they're just there in the blink of an eye. That's kind of disappointing.

I like how the premise of this show went from "Satoshi and Gou get to travel around because they're Dr. Sakuragi's research fellows" to "Koharu wants to see some ponies so we're going to the UK."

Eitarou said:
Opal not battling would've been perfectly fine if the episode was actually about her, but no. She was thrown into an ep for no other reason that it happens to take place in her home.

And let's be honest here; if Poplar wasn't in this episode then people would have absolutely blown a gasket.

Queen Cynthia said:
Journeys apparently has a conceptional problem: We still don't know where the journey (pun intended) will eventually lead us to. So far, the series appears to be an arbitrary collection of single episodes with no or little logical connection.

I've brought this up before, but it bears repeating; this series is not called "Journeys" in the country where the show is actually being made. It's simply known as Pocket Monsters in Japan and has therefore made no promises of providing some grand journey that will span the whole series. "Journeys" is just the name used for international dubs, nothing more, nothing less.

I've brought this up before, but it bears repeating; this series is not called "Journeys" in the country where the show is actually being made. It's simply known as Pocket Monsters in Japan and has therefore made no promises of providing some grand journey that will span the whole series. "Journeys" is just the name used for international dubs, nothing more, nothing less.
I understand.
Nevertheless, I think it doesn't change the underlying problem, namely that, in the eyes of many users I've met so far, they're switching between regions way too fast. While in previous regions it took our heroes at least a couple of episodes to get from one major area to another one, now "they're just there" as @ii kanji pointed out.

Unless Chloe develops a sudden interest in battling, which seems unlikely, she needs Pokemon with a very active personality like Eevee. Ponyta is pretty much the opposite of that despite being cute, so I think OLM made the right decision here and don't expect that to change in the future (why wait?).

Jigglypuff is a Pokemon I can see Chloe with (yes, the Jigglypuff). Eevee would copy it and they would probably fight a lot.

I totally agree!
That "instant jumping" (as I call it) between regions is getting lame and implausible if you ask me. Remember how much time they used to spend in previous regions in order to get to another place? And now ... they're just there in the blink of an eye. That's kind of disappointing.
Hell, even with Galar being a region where one could move from point A to point B much easier than others thanks to the Corviknight taxi service, they aren’t even taking advantage of that much. It really feels half-assed especially after how much effort they put into the culture of Alola in SM. It’s extremely noticeable and jarring.

Hell, even with Galar being a region where one could move from point A to point B much easier than others thanks to the Corviknight taxi service, they aren’t even taking advantage of that much. It really feels half-assed especially after how much effort they put into the culture of Alola in SM. It’s extremely noticeable and jarring.

At this point you can't call it bad writing either, its just lazy.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom