• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Is there any anime that you dislike?

Couple more have been added to the list. Restaurant to Another World, an anime I kept persisting with but lost patience with about six episodes in. It's an anime that can't seem to decide what it wants to be - whether that's an issue with the adaptation or the source material I don't know. Character drama set up in the first couple of episodes is subsequently ignored. The anime does next to nothing with its own worldbuilding potential, and what is there I strongly suspect comes right out of the Japanese Fantasy cliché book. And it's so repetitive - fantasy archetypes rambling on at length about how amazingly impossibly delicious this world's otherwise average food is. ("What is this?!" ad nauseam).

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou: I can't for the life of me remember why the hell I watched all of this, because it's dumb as a bag of rocks

I've got a few anime that I can't stand.

For starters, Digimon Adventure 02. Talk about a major step down from Adventure 01. While I enjoyed TK and Kari I HATED the new characters, especially Davis. The fact that Davis ended up being a static character throughout the series was another letdown, as Tai really grew into his role as a leader during 01. As I learned later in life, Davis was designed to be static so it could show Ken's growth by comparison. Big mistake if you ask me. Plus, Davis "beating" MaloMyotismon was complete bull. And don't get me started on that "epilogue" at the very end, as it was poorly executed (and the fact that TK and Kari didn't hook up is a huge slap in the face). Sadly, Adventure 02 had promise but it ended up being a disgrace to the original series. At least Tamers proved better in every shape and form, so that made suffering through 02 worthwhile.

Another would be Zoids Fuzors. As an avid fan of Zoids (especially Chaotic Century, which currently holds the title for my favorite anime of all time), this series was a HUGE letdown. It was pretty much a franchise killer, as Fuzors caused the Zoids franchise to start tanking heavily. Plus, the quality of the Zoids in-series models paled in comparison to Chaotic Century and New Century Zero. Compare a Zaber Fang from NCZ to Fuzors and you'll see just how terrible the quality of Fuzors 3D was. And, once again, we had to glorify Liger Zero. I get it's pretty much the "mascot" of the franchise but they could've given us something else as the lead Zoid that wasn't getting a second round of star status in a row. While, fortunately, the Zoids franchise seems to be rebounding via a reboot with Zoids Wild, Fuzors did a hell of a lot of damage to it, which Genesis ended up being the final nail in the coffin at the time. So, yeah, Fuzors was the stake in its heart for the Zoids franchise for me.

Disliked anime that I dropped because I couldn't get into it/didn't appeal to me at all:
Angel Beats!
BLEND-S
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Chobits
Elfen Lied
Gleipnir
High School DxD
High School of the Dead
Hunter x Hunter
, both versions (and to be honest, the fandom for this anime really irritates me and sometimes they act haughty)
Nichijou
Persona Trinity Soul
Rent-a-Girlfriend
Samurai Champloo
Soul Eater Not!
(though the manga is kind of okay, I couldn't get into the anime adaptation for some reason)
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (she's my most disliked character in the series, I wanted to give it a try but this version of her is annoying)
The Promised Neverland (overhyped and boring)
Tower of God (also overhyped)
Watamote

Anime I completed and disliked:
Clannad + After Story (boring and overhyped as the saddest and/or greatest anime by some, decided to finish both since I thought it'd change my mind. lol nope still boring and not that sad)
Cowboy Bebop (highly overrated, can't get into it's appeal. The dog is the only good thing about it imo)
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (love the artstyle, but the characters are either too boring or annoying to me.)
Mob Psycho 100 (overrated, some characters were okay though)
One Punch Man (overrated, only really watched it for Genos tbh)
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (I don't mind crude humor but this anime makes me feel uncomfortable at times, Stocking is pretty cool though.)
Duan Nao (Die Now) (a Chinese anime that is just, eh. People call it "smart" but I call it annoying due to it's terrible pacing and all over the place characters.)
Vampire Holmes (literally thought it was a joke type anime, but no it's that bad, not even a "it's so bad it's good". Also apparently the people who created this never heard of animation, might as well have used cardboard cutouts for this. A terrible ad for the mobile game.)

Gurren Lagann-I couldnt get into it, tried watching it twice but it just didnt appeal to me
Death Note: I didnt think it was really as great as some people think. I found L the most interestng thing about it honestly
Welcome to the NHK: While I wanted very much to empathize with the MC, I just honestly could not.

Seven Deadly Sins. I thought that the series might appeal to me, but... The main male protagonist constantly gropes the female protagonist (including when she is unconscious... Yeah. Should be enough said.) and it is so disgusting. I somehow made it through the whole first season. I wasn't impressed by the writing, either. The writing of it wasn't terrible persay, but did fall into some of the tropes that make other series like Fairy Tail fall flat for me.

Yuck. Disgusting series. Why would they do that? (I think I started the series right after the proud sexual predator was "elected" as president in my country, which made it even worse).

Seven Deadly Sins. I thought that the series might appeal to me, but... The main male protagonist constantly gropes the female protagonist (including when she is unconscious... Yeah. Should be enough said.) and it is so disgusting.

@Aulos That's the whole reason why I myself refuse to go anywhere near that series...or any series that even has stuff like that for that matter. *coughHaruhiSuzumiyacoughcoughLoveLivecoughcoughAdachiToShimamuracough*)

Last edited:
Whelp. Looks like I'm adding Lapis Re:Lights to my list of anime I dislike, and one of the few I actually finished. Man, this anime was just awful. It actually got off to a decent start but just kept going downhill with every episode. Details can be found in my review of the show on my blog, but TL;DR: Sluggish pacing, refusal to not only develop its characters and flesh out its setting, utterly piss-poor writing decisions that wind up dragging out conflicts that could easily be resolved in five minutes if the characters used their heads for five seconds! And just terrible all around, little more than a commercial for a gacha game.

Seven Deadly Sins because of the excessive fanservice it seems to have.. and Soul Eater Not! because it was just too cutesy compared to the original adaptation. Didn't fit whatsoever, I was so disappointed. ):

Tbh I'm super picky when it comes to anime - there are many that I don't like and won't even watch based on animation style or the premise and plot, some that I've watched but couldn't get into and just dropped and some that I think are super overrated.

The first one that comes to mind is Fairy Tail. To me it's a wannabe One Piece/Naruto (some of the character designs even look real similar to One Piece character designs imo) and the story from what I've heard is basically every stereotypical shonen trope thrown together including alot of fan service which I hate seeing in anime.

Hunter x Hunter is another one. Now I've heard nothing but praise about its plot but I couldn't get into it after the first couple of episodes because none of the characters seemed interesting to me and I hate watching anime where I've got no one to root for. Also I know that the anime was never actually completed because the manga's author goes on long-ass breaks and still hasn't finished the manga and at this rate it'll never be done so I'm like, 'why should I get invested in a series that even its author doesn't give a crap about?'.

The last major anime that I don't like is Attack on Titan. I read the first 20 chapters of the manga and thought it was okayish in terms of plot, but then I took a break from it and couldn't get back into it after that. Then there's the amount of gore and cynicism that makes the anime feel like I'm watching the saddest story ever told and there's nothing enjoyable to me about misery. Oh and it doesn't help that the characters have ugly looking faces. Dunno if I'm just pick but the art style of the characters is weird...

Never liked Cowboy Bebop. The opening credit sequence is the best thing about it but that's it. The setting and the story doesn't interest me though.

Oh, where do I begin?

- Digimon Adventure 02: I loved Digimon as a kid and I don't mean to jump on the hate bandwagon, but I really didn't like 02 then and I still don't think highly of it today. The newer characters were annoying as hell (I always wanted to punch Davis in the face) and thanks to some silly comment one of my friends made, I can't look at Veemon without thinking he looks like a rip-off of Sonic the Hedgehog.

- Elfen Lied: I tried hard to get into this one after someone recommended it to me, but the extreme gore and angst just put me right off.

- Claymore: I liked this one's premise (an organization of half-monster warrior women with big swords that slay man-eating shape-shifting monsters in a medieval setting) and the designs of the Awakened Beings were cool (I'm a sucker for weird and wonderful monster designs), but never finished it for some reason. I guess I just found it too dreary and slow at times.

- Rosario + Vampire: Again, another interesting premise with some nicely designed monsters, but the harem elements turned me away pretty quickly (it doesn't help that the anime plays this up a lot more than the manga does, which apparently ticked off a lot of fans).

- Ouran High School Host Club: I'm actually tempted to give this one another shot, but I just found some of the characters annoying. Not to mention their eyes were creepy.

- Aggretsuko: I don't know if this counts as an anime, but I'm throwing it in anyway. I liked the art style and Retsuko's death metal singing, but got bored and stopped a third into Season 2. I'm just not a fan of cynical humour, which is one of the reasons why I never got into shows like Daria or BoJack Horseman.

- Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan: I used to like this a lot when I was younger, but looking back on it makes me cringe. I always felt sorry for the main male character, as he never meant any harm and everyone else still treated him like garbage. And don't get me started on the fact that the title character has a much younger sister who looks way older, yet still gets a lot of fanservice. Eew. One of the things that made me swear off anime and manga altogether for a few years.

Last edited:
- Elfen Lied: I tried hard to get into this one after someone recommended it to me, but the extreme gore and angst just put me right off.
I can't believe I got through 5 episodes of this anime before dropping it, the animation was also pretty bad at times from what I remember. I also couldn't stand how the story felt inconsistent at times, though I hear it vastly diverges from the manga especially at the end I guess, but honestly I don't think I can go through it again in manga form just to find out if it's good or not lol.

--------------​

Anyway another anime I dislike and dropped after 6 episodes was Back Arrow. Character designs were neat and the main character himself was alright, but mecha designs were meh, animation was also kinda bad at some parts (especially with said mechas), and honestly I just wasn't feeling the story. Sucks because at first it looked promising for being an original anime (at least imo, anyone else that likes it that's cool).

Just thought of a few more:

- Powerpuff Girls Z: I don't have a problem with Western properties getting the anime treatment, but to this day, I still wonder what they were thinking when this was made. It's not as terrible as the 2016 reboot, but they could have handled things like the villains better and most of the time, it felt like a bland in-name-only adaptation. It doesn't help that Craig McCracken himself is said to be unimpressed with it and is thought to be why the English dub didn't get released in many countries.

- Vampire Knight: I was intrigued by the art style and setting, but after accidentally exposing myself to a few spoilers regarding the protagonist and the main vampire character, I was like "Nope. I'm out." It just did not sit right with me at all.

Vampire Knight: I was intrigued by the art style and setting, but after accidentally exposing myself to a few spoilers regarding the protagonist and the main vampire character, I was like "Nope. I'm out." It just did not sit right with me at all.
I take it you don't like the rest of Yuki's family situation then lol; you're certainly not the first person I've seen to be put off by the series though. I love the anime adaptation but I'd say the manga is a bit better, though I still need to get to Memories. The light novels are also good in that they're about the other characters in the manga (well Fleeting Dreams is also about Yuki and Zero but also two other characters), so those ones might interest you; but if not then cool.

----------​

Another one I recently dropped:

The World Ends with You: The Animation, I liked the game when I played it forever ago but the anime adaptation isn't what I was hoping it would be. The first episode was paced too fast already going through three days of the first week, and I didn't like the character change in Neku's personality either (not as jerkish, though I don't know if his original Japanese counterpart was different) as he's a bit too introverted. Second episode's pacing was fine but at that point I was already not feeling it anymore, plus a few other changes compared to the game kind of lessened my enjoyment of it.

The World Ends with You: The Animation, I liked the game when I played it forever ago but the anime adaptation isn't what I was hoping it would be. The first episode was paced too fast already going through three days of the first week, and I didn't like the character change in Neku's personality either (not as jerkish, though I don't know if his original Japanese counterpart was different) as he's a bit too introverted. Second episode's pacing was fine but at that point I was already not feeling it anymore, plus a few other changes compared to the game kind of lessened my enjoyment of it.
I haven't been watching the TWEWY anime myself, but reading all the comments about it around the internet is definitely giving me the impression that its only purpose was to facilitate the sequel game by giving people who didn't play the original a chance to catch up on all the key details without having to go back and buy it and play it - rather than make a proper anime that adequately adapts the original game.

But that's just an impression like I said. :unsure:

Number one: Mirai Nikki. There's no other anime I hate more than this one. The story's somewhat interesting, BUT executed in the worst way possible. I felt angry seeing both Yukiteru and Yuno pretty much fooling and killing everyone mercilessness, showing no good traits whatsoever, and still being considered "the heroes", really the only reason I watched until the end was just to see Yuno die (which I felt relieved she actually did). And let me ask, how do a couple of middle-schoolers manage to outsmart a bunch of adults, one of them a professional assassin and the other a corrupt mayor?

Okay, rant aside, others I also don't like are Crayon Shin-chan, Hunter x Hunter, Pokemon SM (lol), Medarot, and some very rushed anime based in games (Danganronpa the Animation, Persona 5, Gyakuten Saiban, etc etc...)

I don't hate it, but Code Geass I ended up not really liking all that much. By all accounts it should have appealed to me, but it just didn't. In general I've been getting more and more tired out by action-oriented anime as of late and I'm not enjoying them as much as I used to (with a few exceptions), which is odd as it's literally what I grew up on. I guess my taste has changed over the years :wynaut:

Back
Top Bottom