• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I mean, that’s a role at least. Better than being a random poacher victim that never had an appearence since.
Definitely.

Back to Trip, though: I get that his and Ash's final match was supposed to be Pikachu paying back the loss it experienced in their first battle. But having it be a one-on-one battle in the first round was a mistake. Why couldn't it simply have been the last matchup of a three-on-three battle or a Full Battle? Not only did this decision mean that pretty much all the tension of the battle was taken away (since there was no way Ash was losing in the first round), but most of Trip's team was never even seen fully evolved.

Definitely.

Back to Trip, though: I get that his and Ash's final match was supposed to be Pikachu paying back the loss it experienced in their first battle. But having it be a one-on-one battle in the first round was a mistake. Why couldn't it simply have been the last matchup of a three-on-three battle or a Full Battle? Not only did this decision mean that pretty much all the tension of the battle was taken away (since there was no way Ash was losing in the first round), but most of Trip's team was never even seen fully evolved.

Honestly, having their last battle being one-on-one was one of the few good decisions they made for the Unova League. There really wasn't much to justify a full battle between them. The final confrontation with Trip wasn't a big deal like it was for Paul or even Gary. A three-on-three battle maybe could have worked, but again, there was no weight to their rivalry and I don't think having a longer match would have necessarily made the outcome better. Not to mention they weren't really interested in showing any of Trip's Pokemon besides Serperior since the third Club Battle tournament arc. Given how their rivalry was handled throughout the series, getting rid of Trip as soon as possible instead of trying to make their last battle a bigger deal was the right decision.

Here's a pretty controversial opinion, I felt the final battle between Ash and Paul wasn't very well done. The team Paul used kinda felt like his 'B' squad. The lack of ones like his water proof Magmortar or his nearly invincible Ursaring kind of feels like he was holding back. Yes I know Ash was holding back by only using his Sinnoh team, but he's a stubborn kid with something to prove. Paul had no reason to hold back as he did.

What really hurt the battle in particular though was the very end where Infernape almost was declared unable to battle by the referee, but was stopped by Electivire. That in itself was a HUGE blunder by the writers. I get they wanted to keep the viewers in suspense that Ash may lose, but it was the wrong way to do it. If Electivire hadn't stopped the referee, Infernape and Ash would had lost the battle, proving that Paul was in the right all along. If Ash had motivated Infernape to get up and keep going, or if Infernape stopped the referee himself, it would have been fine. But no, it was their opponent who did.

This is my big controversial take on this fight, a part of me thinks that the director (who's been quoted in the past saying Paul was his favorite character at the time) wanted Paul to win the league battle with Ash, but since he was required by the higher ups to let Ash win, he set up this whole "Electivire stopped the referee" thing so that while Ash got the technical win, it was Paul who won in the mind of the director.

Hey kids, it's okay to treat your Pokemon like dirt as long as it gets results!

Here's a pretty controversial opinion, I felt the final battle between Ash and Paul wasn't very well done. The team Paul used kinda felt like his 'B' squad. The lack of ones like his water proof Magmortar or his nearly invincible Ursaring kind of feels like he was holding back. Yes I know Ash was holding back by only using his Sinnoh team, but he's a stubborn kid with something to prove. Paul had no reason to hold back as he did.
Actually, he did. That's one distinctive difference between Ash and Paul. Paul adapts his team to each separate battle, while Ash went with his classic Sinnoh team, because he knew they wanted a payback against Paul for their loss at Lake Acuity. That team was just as viable as his main team.

Actually, he did. That's one distinctive difference between Ash and Paul. Paul adapts his team to each separate battle, while Ash went with his classic Sinnoh team, because he knew they wanted a payback against Paul for their loss at Lake Acuity. That team was just as viable as his main team.
Also there was the fact that he used Pokemon Ash hadn't faced before: Aggron, Gastrodon, Drapion, Ninjask, Froslass..., the only Pokemon Ash had faced before was his Electivire. This also caused a big advantage for him, since Ash didn't knew what to expect and was trapped in a corner and had to pull the biggest improv in history, while Paul knew what do against each of Ash's team. Besides him having an strategy from the begginning.

Last edited:
When I first started watching BW and saw that Satoshi would catch all the starters, I was sure Tsutarja would reach all the way to Jalorda. I wasn't so sure about the other two, but the way this one was being presented as strong early on gave me the strong impression (for eg in that 5 vs 5 battle Satoshi had against Shooty in early-BW, he did say that all of Satoshi's Pokemon were weak with the exception of Tsutarja and Pikachu). Not only she never evolved, never got any new moves either.

Some wasted potential in there.

When I first started watching BW and saw that Satoshi would catch all the starters, I was sure Tsutarja would reach all the way to Jalorda. I wasn't so sure about the other two, but the way this one was being presented as strong early on gave me the strong impression (for eg in that 5 vs 5 battle Satoshi had against Shooty in early-BW, he did say that all of Satoshi's Pokemon were weak with the exception of Tsutarja and Pikachu). Not only she never evolved, never got any new moves either.

Some wasted potential in there.
More wasted potential involving Snivy was that she was heavily implied to have belonged to another Trainer earlier, but besides a few mentions, this is never explored further. Probably to give all the glory to Tepig/Pignite and his backstory, I suppose.

More wasted potential involving Snivy was that she was heavily implied to have belonged to another Trainer earlier, but besides a few mentions, this is never explored further. Probably to give all the glory to Tepig/Pignite and his backstory, I suppose.
Yeah, that too. I'd love to have seen this trainer, but if I'm honest I never actually expected them to appear, especially after Pokabu got the spotlight.

More Controversial Opinions

Goh isn't a Bad Character. His goal is just badly executed

I don't care who Grookey ends up going to tbh. I'm just happy to finally see the little Monkey after being absent for so long.

And while we're on the subject of Evolutions, I got a Really Big Controversial one here that I just know somebody will attack me for:

I hope Gou's Sobble evolves :bulbaLove:

I dunno, I just feel like after seeing Paul completely destroy him at Lake Acuity, it really made it hard to believe Ash didn't just win in the league because Paul mistakenly used what he thought would be more effective then his big guns, especially when you consider how badly he swept Barry with them in that 3-0 match. I'm not some Paul fanboy or anything, I honestly hate his guts. I just wanted to see Ash and his Sinnoh team get a chance to take down Paul's big guns like Magmortar and Torterra, rather then a bunch of random mons we've barely or never seen before.

And while we're on the subject of Evolutions, I got a Really Big Controversial one here that I just know somebody will attack me for
Ew, no.
Drizzile and Inteleon are awful in my opinion. Sobble needs to remain a Sobble forever.

See what I mean?

Thank you for proving my point :rolleyes:
Cause God forbid I express a feeling without someone coming to shoot me down
naruto-annoys-everyone.jpg

Last edited:
I love Drizzle and Inteleon. I remember hearing complaints about Sobble's evolutions and when I finally saw them, I remember thinking that they looked so cool. I could understand the backlash to a degree when people really wanted something different for Sobble's final form, but I think that they look great.

As far as Goh's Sobble goes, I'd be fine with it evolving. I wouldn't be heartbroken if that doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be against it either. I am perfectly fine that Goh caught it instead of Ash though. I can't blame people for being upset about that to a point. There probably would have been backlash regardless, but the misleading promotion was such a terrible move and made the backlash worse when people thought that Ash was going to get Sobble until basically the episode aired. Without factoring that in and looking at the episode itself, I thought that Goh capturing it made sense, I really liked how he apologized to Sobble for not recognizing its feelings, especially when I felt like he should have done that directly with Raboot at some point, and Goh's determination to save Sobble giving it the confidence to break through the cage was quite sweet. If it wasn't for the misleading promotion, then I don't think people would have been as upset over Goh capturing Sobble instead of Ash.

I love Drizzle and Inteleon. I remember hearing complaints about Sobble's evolutions and when I finally saw them, I remember thinking that they looked so cool. I could understand the backlash to a degree when people really wanted something different for Sobble's final form, but I think that they look great.

100% Agree. Like I get it if Drizzile and Inteleon aren't someone's thing.

But they way I've seen people react to them, you'd think they killed someone's cat or something lol.

The main reason why I was immediately drawn to Drizzile and Inteleon's designs was because of how much they reminded of early 2000's Cartoon Network designs (see Dexter's Laboratory or Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends or pretty much anything by Craig McCracken and Gennedy Tartovasky) and i just love how amusingly cartoonish and full of personality they look :bulbaLove:

And speaking of Personality; The fact that they gave the Sobble line actual character development only made me like them even more. Tbh I wouldn't have liked Sobble that much if it remained a crybaby throughout it's whole evolution line. (Notice how Goh's Sobble has very little to no actual personality?)
Inteleon and Drizzile were the entire reason why I even chose Sobble as my starter

As far as Goh's Sobble goes, I'd be fine with it evolving. I wouldn't be heartbroken if that doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be against it either. I am perfectly fine that Goh caught it instead of Ash though. I can't blame people for being upset about that to a point. There probably would have been backlash regardless, but the misleading promotion was such a terrible move and made the backlash worse when people thought that Ash was going to get Sobble until basically the episode aired. Without factoring that in and looking at the episode itself, I thought that Goh capturing it made sense, I really liked how he apologized to Sobble for not recognizing its feelings, especially when I felt like he should have done that directly with Raboot at some point, and Goh's determination to save Sobble giving it the confidence to break through the cage was quite sweet. If it wasn't for the misleading promotion, then I don't think people would have been as upset over Goh capturing Sobble instead of Ash.
Yeah. In hindsight Sobble going to Goh wasn't a bad decision. If fact, given how Ash has been treated in this series, it's probably a good thing he didn't get Sobble.

But that horrible marketing soiled it for so many to the point it's impossible to trust marketing in this show

I'm pretty sure that's Souta, Koharu's little brother.
Ah Thank you. I didn't know his English name

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom