• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If Journeys were more like earlier series, what Pokemon would the characters have?

Humm. I think this one will be more of a brainstorm cuz I'm thinking about it as I type.

For this series, we would Follow Ash, Marnie and Hop:

- I don't really agree with him having either Gloria or Victor as a companion. not that I dislike them, but it's mostly cuz they don't really have an role in the games if you don't pick them. You can see it in the anime as well: May, Dawn and Serena appeared cuz they do have a role to play in the story. We could ofc just slap something for them to do, but I do think adapting a game character is always more interesting and slightly easier for the writers, since you already have a ''base'' to work with imo.

- I'm taking both Goh and Chloe out. Mainly cuz I don't really think they would work in a more ''traditional'' series. Goh especially, since his goal is to catch every mon, and I do think you would have to travel pretty heavily to accomplish that. And while Chloe could work, I don't think she really has enough on her to be a constant companion like the other Pokégirls did in their series. I don't think her story/arc is enough to last lots of episodes (and this is something that I wonder to be a reason for her not appearing as much in Journeys too)

Ash: would go to Galar after leaning the League there is harder and after seeing a battle against Leon in the TV. Then he would get a sponsorship by Leon, alongside his companions.

His team would be:

-Pikachu (ofc ofc)
-Sobble -> Drizzle -> Inteleon (Male - Gigantamax) (Others have explanied why they wanted him to get it and I do agree it with being his ace. But I would make sure to while keeping him stoic, I would also make sure to also make him pretty sly and suave, and sorta of goofy sometimes, to not be too much like Greninja's seriousness.)
-Scorbunny -> Raboot -> Cinderace (Female - Gigantamax) (He would have two starters, and while Inteleon is the Suave Stoic one, Cinderace is the ball of energy and goofiness, being a mix of powerhouse and comic relief. Even their fighting styles would be different: Inteleon is more precise and gracious, wainting for the right moment to strike, while Cinderace is more direct and up close)
-Blipbug -> Dottler -> Orbeetle (Female - Gigantamax) (It's one of those odd mons you don't think Ash would have, but not only does he never uses Bugs, but it's also a Psychic type, something he didn't had before, so it would be interesting to see him using one of those)
-Egg -> Cuffant -> Copperajah (Female - Gigantamax) (He will be gifted a egg by Rose, after he sees him battling Nessa. Btw, Rose's Copperajah is the mother. I do think it would be an very affectionated Pokemon, that is not aware of it's own strenght and weight.)
-Impidimp -> Morgrem -> Grimmsnarl (Male - Gigantamax) (I would love for thim to get one after it following him for a while, and continuing to be a little shit to him, like, Pikachu in Kanto, I will expand why a bit more of why I'm not giving it to Marnie when I get to her, Also, first Fairy!)
-G. Farftech'd -> Sirfetch'd (Male) -> Yes, he will have more than six here. (Not only do I like it as a regional form for him, but I do like the arc it's getting in Journeys, so I will keep it.)
-Kubfu -> Urshifu (Male - Rapid Strike - Gigantamax): He will get it in the Isle of Armor. Might be pretty reduntant, but oh well.

The reason why I gave Ash a Grimnsnarl instead of Marnie, is that not only did I wanted to give him his first Fairy, but it's also cuz, unlike Bede, who has his Hatterene with him for the entire game as his ace and first Pokemon, Marnie only gets her Grimnsnarl at the very end of the main game, mainly cuz she didn't had a Gigantamax capable Pokemon up until that point. So for these reasons, I think that it's fine for her to not have it, since it never really was her ace, unlike Bede's Hatterene.

Hop:
The booksmart guy of the series. They never really touched on this in the games, even though he becomes a assistant to the professor later on, but I do like to imagine him being so interested in battle led to him reading a lot of it and knowing a lot in theory, while Ash is more of a pratical guy. His arc would be like the one in the games. He would learn that he doesn't have to follow in his brother's footsteps and be the new Champion, and he would decide to become a professor, like in the games, being tutored under Sonia and Magnolia.

His team would be similar to the one he has in the games, but I will keep Wooloo and Grookey unevolved mainly cuz not only will he not battle as much, but also cuz it's simply more marketable. But don't worry Rillaboom fans, I gotcha!

Marnie:
She would be pretty much the ''OC'' of the series, besides being a second protagonist like Dawn and May were. She would be what Gloria would be if she was a character in the games. She will be more of a ''rival'' for Ash, them constantly teasing and taunting each other would be pretty fun to watch. But the thing about her, is that instead of just shoving her into Contests or Showcases of whatever the variation of it would be in Galar, NAH, she will battle too. I do want her to take on the opposing version Gym Leaders, since I do think Ash would take on the Sword Version (Bea and Gordie), while she will take the Shield Version (Allister and Melony), besides taking the minor league on against Avery and Peony, with a format similar to those competitons in Unova. And she will be the ''protagonist'' of the DLC content. Ash and Hop will go with her to the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra too, but she will be the focus of those stories. Her arc would remain mainly the same, but she only becomes the Gym Leader of Spikemuth after travelling with Ash and Hop and training under Mustard.

For her team I would swap Grimmsnarl (for the reason I explained before), and her Toxicroak and Scrafty, since Ash and Brock have used their unevolved versions before. I get it that it might not be that big of a deal, but I don't think they would operate that differently then theirs. In their places, I will give her a Sableye, Thievul, and a Single Strike Urshifu, that she will get in the Isle of Armor, as Ash will get the the other.

For rivals, I do want to have Bede as a rival for Ash, but his main one should be a new character who has also won a regional league before, to make the competition more fair and add more tension. And Marnie's rival would probably be Klara in the Isle.

I don't think Hop will ever be a travel companion though, since that is changing his personality and the reason he wants to travel and become stronger way to much from the games.

I can't really see Team Rocket having a Frosmoth. It's more like a Pokémon Ash would catch. Also, on second thought, I'll probably let Chloe have Sobble.
Why not? Musashi and Dokucale were a classic combi, and she made a good pair with Megayanma too. I think it's high time she got another flying bug. Plus she has a bit of an affinity for snow and ice types (Muchul, Nyula/Manyula) despite which she is yet to own one.

Also, I just love Snom and I also love Musashi, so :wynaut:

Why not? Musashi and Dokucale were a classic combi, and she made a good pair with Megayanma too. I think it's high time she got another flying bug. Plus she has a bit of an affinity for snow and ice types (Muchul, Nyula/Manyula) despite which she is yet to own one.

I'm imagining an Alternate Universe where she has one, and I have to admit it sounds nice.

I can see her with a Frosmoth, but I think it would be more of a James mon, where he takes care of a Snom ala Chimeco/Mime Jr where they are cute Pokemon who he doesn't wants to battle with, and will probably never evolve.

Here is my teams for a Galar reigon adventure but no Goh or Chloe
Ash:
Pikachu: Pikachu
Grookey->Thwackey->Rillaboom: You know why. At Prof Magnolia's Lab Hop and Gloria choose their starters Scorbunny and Sobble so Grookey is left behind. It cries and rund to the slumbering weald. Ash finds it and comforts it offering it to join his team. Grookey acepts. And then they encounter Zacian blablabla. It has a rivalary with Hop's Cinderace and they usally clash with each other.. It also has immense power, defeating Kabu's Centiscorch without evolving. Grookey evolves into Thwackey while protecting Pikachu from Team Rocket. From then, It has honorable battles against Bea and Gordie. It later evolves into Rillaboom against Piers and then battles Raihan. It is the ace of the team.
Scobunny->Raboot->Cinderace: A group of Nickit and a Scorbunny steal Ash's backpack. After lying to save it Scorbunny adores him. In the Wild Area Scorbunny wants to join Ash and then Ash catches it. It suffers fom a loss streak including one from Milo's Gossifleaur since it does not know a fire move. This frustrates Scorbunny and it runs off and bumps into Tea Rocket where with Ash's help, It learns Ember and defeats them and evolves. From there it is not disobedient but a bit of an edgy s**t. It battles Nessa, Kabu, Bea and Gordie before it evolves into Cinderace in a soccer match. It battles against Piers.
Rookidee->Corvisquire->Corvinight: Ash catches this birb to teach Gloria to catch stuff. After that it loses to Nessa and evolves. From there it battles against Bea and evolves again. As a Corvinight it is not different from any other bird. It also battles against Gordie and Raihan.
Yamper->Boltund: Ash catches Yamper while trying to catch a Wooloo. It takes a liking to Pikachu and they become BFF. Then it does nothing then it evolves. Then it does nothing other than battle Opal Piers.
Toxel->Toxtiricty: Ash recieves Toxel from a breeder. From there it gets Oaked cuz it is weak. Ash recalls it to train it and it evolves. It battles against Opal and Piers.

Kamon->Sir Kamon: Ash catches Kamon after a battle with Raboot. It isn't in sync with Ash. Then while training it battles a trainer named Rinto and his Gallade and loses. In an training course with Wikstrom it learns Detect and becomes more sync with Ash. After that it evolves against Bea. As a Sirfetch'd Kamon is in sync with Ash and battles against Gordie and battles against Gordie and Raihan.
Dracovish: Dracovish gets restored by Cara Liss and gets in an adventure with Ash, bonding with him. Cara Liss allows him to keep it. From there it battles against Opal and Raihan.
Impidimp->Morgrem->Grimsnarl: Ash meets a mischevious Impidimp and bons with it. So he catches it. It evolves against Opal. Then it evolves into Grimsnarl in a battle against Raihan. It is commonly used in the leauge.
Gloria:
Sobble: A main character. Sobble is a timid Pokemon who is Gloria's starter. Sobble is a timid Pokemon that dislikes battling. After a battle with Team Rocket to save Gossifleur some becomes a little braver. Then it meets an Inteleon and is inspired by it. In a battle against Team Rocket, It overcomes its fear.
Gossifleur: Gossifleur gets caught after bonding with Gloria and Sobble. It is a tough Pokemon.
Milcery->Eldegoss: Milcery bonds with Gloria. She catches it then it evolves.
Arctozolt: Arctozolt gets restored by Cara Liss and battles Gloria, bonding with her. Cara Liss allows her to keep it.
Hop aka main Rival:
Wooloo->Dubwool
Scorbunny->Raboot->Cinderace
Rookidee->Corvisquire->Corviknight
Snorlax
Pinchurchin
Trevanant
Marnie:
Morpeko
Scraggy->Scrafty
Croagunk->Toxicroak
Grimsnarl
Bede:
Hattena->Hattrem->Hatterena
Solosis->Duosion->Renicilous
Gothita->Gothrem->Gothitelle
G-Ponyta->G-Rapidash

Here is my teams for a Galar reigon adventure but no Goh or Chloe
Ash:
Pikachu: Pikachu
Grookey->Thwackey->Rillaboom: You know why. At Prof Magnolia's Lab Hop and Gloria choose their starters Scorbunny and Sobble so Grookey is left behind. It cries and rund to the slumbering weald. Ash finds it and comforts it offering it to join his team. Grookey acepts. And then they encounter Zacian blablabla. It has a rivalary with Hop's Cinderace and they usally clash with each other.. It also has immense power, defeating Kabu's Centiscorch without evolving. Grookey evolves into Thwackey while protecting Pikachu from Team Rocket. From then, It has honorable battles against Bea and Gordie. It later evolves into Rillaboom against Piers and then battles Raihan. It is the ace of the team.
Scobunny->Raboot->Cinderace: A group of Nickit and a Scorbunny steal Ash's backpack. After lying to save it Scorbunny adores him. In the Wild Area Scorbunny wants to join Ash and then Ash catches it. It suffers fom a loss streak including one from Milo's Gossifleaur since it does not know a fire move. This frustrates Scorbunny and it runs off and bumps into Tea Rocket where with Ash's help, It learns Ember and defeats them and evolves. From there it is not disobedient but a bit of an edgy s**t. It battles Nessa, Kabu, Bea and Gordie before it evolves into Cinderace in a soccer match. It battles against Piers.
Rookidee->Corvisquire->Corvinight: Ash catches this birb to teach Gloria to catch stuff. After that it loses to Nessa and evolves. From there it battles against Bea and evolves again. As a Corvinight it is not different from any other bird. It also battles against Gordie and Raihan.
Yamper->Boltund: Ash catches Yamper while trying to catch a Wooloo. It takes a liking to Pikachu and they become BFF. Then it does nothing then it evolves. Then it does nothing other than battle Opal Piers.
Toxel->Toxtiricty: Ash recieves Toxel from a breeder. From there it gets Oaked cuz it is weak. Ash recalls it to train it and it evolves. It battles against Opal and Piers.

Kamon->Sir Kamon: Ash catches Kamon after a battle with Raboot. It isn't in sync with Ash. Then while training it battles a trainer named Rinto and his Gallade and loses. In an training course with Wikstrom it learns Detect and becomes more sync with Ash. After that it evolves against Bea. As a Sirfetch'd Kamon is in sync with Ash and battles against Gordie and battles against Gordie and Raihan.
Dracovish: Dracovish gets restored by Cara Liss and gets in an adventure with Ash, bonding with him. Cara Liss allows him to keep it. From there it battles against Opal and Raihan.
Impidimp->Morgrem->Grimsnarl: Ash meets a mischevious Impidimp and bons with it. So he catches it. It evolves against Opal. Then it evolves into Grimsnarl in a battle against Raihan. It is commonly used in the leauge.
Gloria:
Sobble: A main character. Sobble is a timid Pokemon who is Gloria's starter. Sobble is a timid Pokemon that dislikes battling. After a battle with Team Rocket to save Gossifleur some becomes a little braver. Then it meets an Inteleon and is inspired by it. In a battle against Team Rocket, It overcomes its fear.
Gossifleur: Gossifleur gets caught after bonding with Gloria and Sobble. It is a tough Pokemon.
Milcery->Eldegoss: Milcery bonds with Gloria. She catches it then it evolves.
Arctozolt: Arctozolt gets restored by Cara Liss and battles Gloria, bonding with her. Cara Liss allows her to keep it.
Hop aka main Rival:
Wooloo->Dubwool
Scorbunny->Raboot->Cinderace
Rookidee->Corvisquire->Corviknight
Snorlax
Pinchurchin
Trevanant
Marnie:
Morpeko
Scraggy->Scrafty
Croagunk->Toxicroak
Grimsnarl
Bede:
Hattena->Hattrem->Hatterena
Solosis->Duosion->Renicilous
Gothita->Gothrem->Gothitelle
G-Ponyta->G-Rapidash

Damn, this is hard to read, especially on the phone.

The Bug-type Pokemon Jessie actually catches seem to tend towards ones that are "ugly" and/or poisonous, like Dustox and Yanmega. Frosmoth is the kind of Pokémon I can see Jessie wanting to catch, but not the kind I can see her actually having.

I think that Ash would have traveled with 2 Gym Leaders again.

I don't think so. None of the Galar gym leaders scream Travel companion to me. They are either too old or don't fit in. The only one who would have fit would be Allister, but i doubt he would be a main character, because the writers might have deemed him too creepy due to its mask.

The Bug-type Pokemon Jessie actually catches seem to tend towards ones that are "ugly" and/or poisonous, like Dustox and Yanmega. Frosmoth is the kind of Pokémon I can see Jessie wanting to catch, but not the kind I can see her actually having.
This... is also true :cry:

I don't think so. None of the Galar gym leaders scream Travel companion to me. They are either too old or don't fit in. The only one who would have fit would be Allister, but i doubt he would be a main character, because the writers might have deemed him too creepy due to its mask.
Then there's no Galar characters that can be companions, and Ash's companions would just be anime-original characters.

Already did Ash in that one thing from cyberkitten05 so for him in recap in a regular journey
Pikachu Sobble/Drizzile/Inteleon Farfetch’d/Sirfetch’d Dracovish Silicobra/Sandaconda Coallosoal Urshifu (Single Strike) Zacian

Goh (traveling companion)
Scorbunny/Raboot/Cinderace Meowth Stonjourner Snom/Frosmoth Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur Suicune

Chloue (traveling companion)
Yamper/Boltund Eevee Grookey/Thwackey Ponyta/Rapidash Eiscue

Hop (main rival)
Rookidee/Corvisquire/Corviknight Indeedee Munchlax/Snorlax Cufant/Copperajah Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise Zamazenta

Marnie (secondary rival)
Morpeko Scraggy/Scrafty Zigzagoon/Linoone/Obstagoon Impidimp/Morgrem/Grimmsnarl Umbreon

Rinto (tertiary/league rival/gen4 remake and hissui promotion)
Ralts/Kirlia/Gallade Stantler/Wyrdeer Basculin/Basculegion Growlithe/Arcanine Spiritomb Scyther/Kleavor

Team Rocket:
Jessie
Chewtle/Drednaw Morpeko Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon

James
Gulpin/Swalot Cramorant Aron/Lairon/Aggron

Last edited:
In a fan story/comic that I have in mind (I haven't written or drawn it yet, but its story is adapted more faithfully to the games Pokémon Sword and Shield), I have a few ideas about it.

Ash's
  • Pikachu (obviously, Gigantamax)
Galar Pokémon
  • Grookey->Thwackey->Rillaboom - Ash receives it from Leon as a reward for saving Wyndon Stadium in a way similar to the 13th episode of Pokémon Journeys: The Series.
  • Rookidee->Corvisquire->Corviknight - First Pokémon to be caught by Ash.
  • Alcremie (Mint Cream with Clover Sweet) - Unlike most Alcremie, this one has complete heterochromia after evolving from a Milcery, meaning that she has one blue eye and a green one. Ash first met her at Motostoke's Battle Café along with his friends, some time before heading to the Budew Drop Inn. While there, he learns that she was abandoned and mistreated by her previous Trainer, who was disgusted by her unusual eye color. The owner of the Battle Café stepped in to stop the bad guy and took her in. He had been taking care of her since then. When Ash confronted Alcremie's former Trainer, his Gengar lashed out at the latter because it knows how it feels to be abandoned. Later, Ash managed to earn Alcremie's trust after saving her from Team Rocket. After the criminals are sent blasting off, Alcremie eventually takes a liking for Ash, driving her to wanting to go with him. This special and unique Alcremie knows Acid Armor and Attract.
  • Galarian Farfetch'd->Sirfetch'd
Miscellaneous (obtained before heading to Galar)
  • Dragonite - a recurring member, it was caught near Dragonite Island during a research mission.
  • Gengar - a recurring member, it has a fierce rivalry with Bede's Hatenna/Hattrem/Hatterene. It also knows how it feels to be abandoned by a Trainer and gets angry when a similar case happened to a Pokémon.
  • Riolu->Lucario (recurring member)
Befriended
  • Zacian
  • Zamazenta
Sealed away (with Goh's help)
  • Eternatus
Goh's
On hand
  • Scorbunny->Raboot->Cinderace (its evolution won't be rushed)
Recurring members
  • Flygon - One of his most recurring members of his team.
  • Raichu (female) - One of his most recurring members of his team.
  • Many other Pokémon
Befriended
  • Zacian
  • Zamazenta
Sealed away (with Ash's help)
  • Eternatus
Gloria's
  • Sobble->Drizzile->Inteleon (male, starter Pokémon)
  • Leafeon (male (confirmed via gender difference as an Eevee); evolves from an Eevee before being caught)
  • Arcanine - Gloria caught it after she removed a nail stuck on one of its paw, which caused it to go on a rampage. As thanks, it expressed its willingness to go with her.
  • Sneasel->Weavile (female (confirmed via gender difference)) - This is the only Pokémon that Gloria caught by battling.
  • Togetic->Togekiss
  • Galarian Ponyta->Galarian Rapidash
Befriended
  • Her mother's Munchlax
  • Her mother's two Budew
  • Zacian
  • Zamazenta
Chloe's
On hand
  • Eevee (female, Gigantamax)
Adopted
  • Yamper (male)
Hop's
  • Wooloo->Dubwool (first Pokémon)
  • Scorbunny->Raboot->Cinderace (starter Pokémon)
  • Rookidee->Corvisquire->Corviknight
  • Snorlax
  • Pincurchin
Befriended
  • Purrloin (his family's pet Pokémon)
  • Zacian
  • Zamazenta
Bede's (before being chosen by Opal to succeed her as Gym Leader)
  • Solosis->Duosion->Reuniclus
  • Gothita->Gothorita->Gothitelle
  • Galarian Ponyta->Galarian Rapidash
  • Hatenna->Hattrem->Hatterene (Gigantamax) - Has a fierce rivalry with Ash's Gengar.
Marnie's
  • Morpeko
  • Croagunk->Toxicroak (female)
  • Scraggy->Scrafty
  • Purrloin->Liepard
  • Impidimp->Morgrem->Grimmsnarl
Leon's
  • Charmander->Charmeleon->Charizard - Charizard is Leon's first Pokémon, who he has been owning since it was a Charmander. Much like the games, it is his ace.
  • Dragapult
  • Aegislash
  • Haxorus
  • Two unknown Pokémon
Jessie's
  • Gourgeist (takes her back before heading to Galar)
  • Impidimp - Jessie caught Impidimp in the Wild Area after he mischievously enraged her. He loves to makes fun of his opponents, and as a result, he acts as a comic relief with a tendency to taunt them every time he is sent out to battle, frustrating Jessie and annoying his opponents. This can get him in trouble at times. Impidimp is also the subject of a running gag.
James's
  • Inkay->Malamar (takes him back before heading to Galar. Evolves at some point during the story)
  • Applin->Flapple - James caught Applin in the Wild Area. When he gave it a Tart Apple, he inadvertantly triggered its evolution into Flapple.
---
What do you think?

---
EDIT: I put some changes to my ideas.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom