• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Greetings from a (sorf of) new Pokemon trainer!

IndigoBlue

Lass Amy
Reaction score
Hey there PokeTrainers, nice to meet you all. :) My name is Amy and I've recently become re-interested in Pokemon. I remember loving Pokemon Yellow as a kid but never actually finishing it. Well, not only did I finally do that, but now I'm playing Crystal :D (on my way to fight the Elite Four right now)

I've never played any of the other games yet so I thought it's be cool to do that now and see how Pokemon has changed over time. I'm thinking of skipping Kanto and going straight to Emerald after beating the champion. What do you guys think?

Welcome :)
While you shouldn't skip the Kanto part of Crystal, you should definitely play Emerald!! I'm biased towards the Hoenn games though. And the Unova ones.

Welcome :)
While you shouldn't skip the Kanto part of Crystal, you should definitely play Emerald!! I'm biased towards the Hoenn games though. And the Unova ones.
Thank you :) And I see so many people saying good things about Gens 3 and 4. I can't wait to get to them :wynaut:

Hello Amy! I'm Katherine, welcome to the forums. I've seen that Gengar is your favorite Pokémon, mine too :bulbaLove:. About the Kanto part I highly recommend you to not skip it, you can complete both games at the same time, at least that's what I did :ROFLMAO:, but do what is best for you. I wish you luck and lots of fun in this forums :bulbaWave:.

Welcome to the forums :D Crystal is a great game :D Hoenn is always one I will cherish, it was my very first game (Sapphire) and I never looked back. Have a wonderful time with us on the forums

Hello Amy! I'm Katherine, welcome to the forums. I've seen that Gengar is your favorite Pokémon, mine too :bulbaLove:. About the Kanto part I highly recommend you to not skip it, you can complete both games at the same time, at least that's what I did :ROFLMAO:, but do what is best for you. I wish you luck and lots of fun in this forums :bulbaWave:.
Hi! You have really good taste lol. Gengar is one of those Pokemon that's just brimming with personality. I'll probably play through the whole Kanto region since everyone is recommending it. I wonder how it's changed since the first gen :unsure:

Thank you everyone else for the warm welcome! I already feel at home :bulbaLove:

Welcome to the forums Amy!~

Should do a run-through of the Kanto section of Crystal mainly to encounter the end-game boss Red. Hope you fun with Emerald as well, the Battle Frontier and animated intro sprites were my favorite parts of that game.
Oh yes, I remember hearing how hard that battle is. None of my Pokemon are even over level 50 yet :confused: Wish me luck.

Hello fellow forum noob, from a Pokemon veteran TT. GSC's level curve is a terror. But def play Emerald - there are many memorable moments and surprising challenges in it!

Hello fellow forum noob, from a Pokemon veteran TT. GSC's level curve is a terror. But def play Emerald - there are many memorable moments and surprising challenges in it!
Yeah grinding is definitely my least favorite part of Pokemon lol. I'm hoping to evolve my Eevee to an Umbreon. It's lvl 36 right now so maybe soon?

Yeah grinding is definitely my least favorite part of Pokemon lol. I'm hoping to evolve my Eevee to an Umbreon. It's lvl 36 right now so maybe soon?
Is your game clock working? If it doesn't work, you won't be able to evolve Eevee into Umbreon :confused_emoji:. Oh, sorry, that happens in Emerald, you're playing Crystal :confused:. Good luck ;).

Last edited:
Since you're playing Crystal, Goldenrod Tunnel has groomers that can increase the friendship of your pokemon.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Is your game clock working? If it doesn't work, you won't be able to evolve Eevee into Umbreon :confused_emoji:. Oh, sorry, that happens in Emerald, you're playing Crystal :confused:. Good luck ;).
Ha! Katherine you scared me there for a second :wynaut:

An easy way to do this is to get the Bike from the Goldenrod City Bike shop. If you only got the Eevee directly from Bill then ride the Bike up and down Goldenrod City to increase the friendship value without fighting (every 512 steps increases the friendship value of all Pokemon in the party by +1).

However, a semi-quicker way to get Umbreon would be to do the following:
- Breed your current Eevee with a Ditto or another Pokemon from the same egg group if your Eevee is female
-- This is because Pokemon by default have a friendship value of 70 but a Pokemon hatched from an egg will always have a default friendship value of 120 when starting.
- If you hatch Eevee on Route Past Goldenrod City then you should be fine since in Crystal, Pokemon hatched or caught have a met location and if you level up the mon at the met location (for instance, Johto Route 36 or Johto Route 37) then instead of gaining only 3 or 2 points, you will gain 6 or 4 points instead which makes a very big difference in my opinion. And with all the walking you will do, should be able to level Eevee up to Umbreon within only roughly 15 - 20 minutes at best.

An easy way to do this is to get the Bike from the Goldenrod City Bike shop. If you only got the Eevee directly from Bill then ride the Bike up and down Goldenrod City to increase the friendship value without fighting (every 512 steps increases the friendship value of all Pokemon in the party by +1).

Since you're playing Crystal, Goldenrod Tunnel has groomers that can increase the friendship of your pokemon.

I did both of these and some leveling up and I think it worked! It's daytime right now so it evolved into Espeon. I saved the game right before it evolved, so I'll come back later and evolve it once its nighttime. Thanks again guys ^_^

Only took until level 50 :annoyedVoltorb:

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom