• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Idk what to tell you, friend. They’ve said that we won’t get every Pokémon in a single game ever again. SwSh was terrific even without all the Pokémon in it, I expect this to be the same or actually even better.
They also said they wouldn't patch in any pokemon into sword and shield. It's really aggravating for them not to finish the dex when there was only 234 pokemon to go. SWSH wasn't universally praised enough for me to accept the new policy.

They also said they wouldn't patch in any pokemon into sword and shield. It's really aggravating for them not to finish the dex when there was only 234 pokemon to go. SWSH wasn't universally praised enough for me to accept the new policy.
I think it’s safer to assume that they won’t go back on this rather than looking at one statement they did go back on and using it as evidence for everything else they’ve said.

I don’t disagree with the rest, but I think in general people are going to miss out on some great games if they keep a closed mind due to the lack of a full Dex.

So a few assorted thoughts on what this means for the future of the series:

1. They intend for Legends to be a running sub-series of the main games. The fact that they titled it Legends: Arceus implies that they intend to make more games under the Legends brand. Anyone up for Legends: Mew, Legends: Celebi, Legends: Jirachi, or Legends: Keldeo? Legends seems to be intended to be what I like to call a "branch" of the main games, a series of games that are main games in the same genre and with the same core gameplay, but in a different style. For example, the sandbox Mario games for Mario (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Odyssey, I also count Super Mario Galaxy but that's somewhat of a hybrid and many people seem to consider it a linear Mario game), they're considered main series Mario games because you run and jump like other Mario games, but instead of running through a linear level to get to the goal, you're wandering around a 3D space to get collectibles. Or the Metroid Prime series for Metroid, which is a Metroidvania like all main series Metroid games, but is a first person 3D game instead of a 2D sidescroller. Now for Pokemon we seem to be getting Legends, which is an open world adventure set in the past instead of a present day linear adventure (Let's Go might also serve the same purpose in being a running series appealing to more casual players if it gets future entries, but more on that in my next point). This is a great way to appeal to differing tastes simultaneously.

2. They're spacing out generations and Gen 9 may be a lot further off than we thought. No one ever thought they would make something this ambitious this soon because Game Freak can only do so much at a time. And it does seem unlikely that after finishing Legends: Arceus they would be able to dive right into another full scale 3D adventure and release Gen 9 in 2023. This tells me that Legends: Arceus could be a "Gen 8.5" of sorts and Gen 9 won't be happening anytime soon. They have a lot more in their toolkit now for spreading out generations so they can spend more time on the big new generations, they have traditional remakes as always, but now they have DLC, they have Let's Go, and they have Legends. I think we'll start to see 5-6 year generations with those kinds of games filling in the gaps. Maybe in 2023/2024 ILCA could give us a Let's Go Johto using BDSP's engine and then Gen 9 happens in 2024/2025. After SwSh turned out to be rushed and garnered complaints, they seem to be slowing things down and finding new ways to get more mileage out of each generation.

Problem is that the current anime can't span more than 3 years years, unless OLM starts to shill with their pacing (But doing that, in turn means that all of Ash's Off-screen progress in the PWC was pointless, since then they need to let him drop in rank again).

Problem is that the current anime can't span more than 3 years years, unless OLM starts to shill with their pacing (But doing that, in turn means that all of Ash's Off-screen progress in the PWC was pointless, since then they need to let him drop in rank again).
The anime follows the games not vice versa. It could also branch off into any number of unprecedented possibilities to encompass a long generation.

Um what? How? If anything this season of the anime is set up to span as long as it needs to, there's no real quest or setting, so they can just go wherever they want and do whatever they want. And they have 8 existing regions to play around with (more if they decide to reference older anime areas). They could produce 500 more episodes if they wanted.

Someone's gonna' have to refresh me on Dexit controversy lore because AFAIR they only said they were "looking into it" or something along those lines in regards to patching old Pokémon in through updates, which is essentially just a noncommittal, "no comment" sort of response.

Looking at what we have, I definitely don't think these games will "repair" Dexit, and that what they said about a game never again containing every single Pokémon will turn out to be true. There was no lie about that, I think.

But like, for me personally, I'm never going to use even a significant percentage of every Pokémon in a game, let alone using every single one of the 898+ that exist, so I myself don't really see the logic in rejecting a game on this sheer principle. While I understand it being frustrating to not have access to one's particular favorites (though to me that seems like a great opportunity to try out some new ones, but hey everyone has their own play style), the games themselves don't actually hinge on the ability to use every Pokémon, at least not within the single-player campaign (and even competitive tends to boil down to a handful of species have the best performance). Having all the Pokémon available is awesome, but I wouldn't say it's essential for a game to be good.

Do you guys think the Distortion World will make an appearance?

This game certainly looks interesting. I hope we see new ancient forms of Pokémon. Fossil Pokémon before they were fossils and otherwise. I am glad they kept wild battles in, but I hope there is more to do than just catch Pokémon. I usually only catch the ones I’m going to add to my team. This is just a first look though, and I’m sure there’s more to the game we don’t know yet.
I don't think that the game is THAT far back to have pre-fossil fossil Pokemon. Maybe at the most it's 100-1000 or so years in the past.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if we see Sinnoh regional variants that went extinct ages ago.

I am hopeful that with today's news, we'll see Gamefreak ship off future remakes and Let's Go games to other studios, and focus only on new games, such as future Generations and additional Legends games. I think there's a lot of potential for a Legends: Unova game focusing on the original dragon, and the opportunity to explore the history, and maybe even more of Zygarde's lore, in a Legends: Kalos game.

I do hope going forward, though, we'll see partner studios try to be a little more ambitious with remakes, rather than the traditional, almost 1-1 approach they seem to be taking with these.

I wouldn't be surprised though, if we see Sinnoh regional variants that went extinct ages ago.

I'm definitely hoping this will give the chance to see some Sinnoh variants, as it fixes any issues people had with the possibility of Sinnoh variants in remakes, when they didn't exist in the original.

EvKzj7mVIAAJiTE

This game seems to suggest that the current Sinnoh came to be after Alola, while in the Alola games its kinda implies Sinnoh came first, due to the Alola region taking inspiration from the four Japanese based regions.
Not necessarily. Rowlet probably existed before Alola was established as a region.

I've never been that hype in my entire life! I'm a fan of the franchise since pokemon yellow and this is a dream come true! Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite game ever, I put more than 120 hours in tnat game. I hope I'll put that many time in this one. The graphics are pretty, the animations never been that cool before. And having a game on Arceus is brilliant(Diamond ). By the look s of it, I think it will be a new serie. If you look closely in the trailer, there is two more books under the one that is opening, and it's called legends. So that means there is more than just one.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom