• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

If as seems obvious GF just wanted to make Legends, why not scrap DP remakes and have Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup as starters in Legends
I think for legends, they might have gone for Rowlet and Oshawott due to it being a very uncivilized region (a world that's 90% wilderness) with Rowlett representing a hunter and Oshawott representing a melee-focused warrior (in this case, a samurai). I'm not sure what role Cyndaquill represents in a region that's mostly wilderness though.

I think this looks thrilling.

I love the fact it looks like the DS games. I’m sure it won’t be 100% like the originals, and I’m excited to see the changes, but the familiarity is a lovely touch. It feels more LGPE than a true “of the generation” remake.

I do agree, however, that the remake seems a touch superfluous considering the concept of Legends is something so interesting for a mainstream Pokémon game.

Something interesting came to mind. Will these games have full connectivity with Sword/Shield? Or will they suffer the same consequences that XY and ORAS had with limited connectivity? Also, will the additions in Sword/Shield make it over to these games like TRs and Nature Mints? Or will it be completely faithful to their original counterparts and only have (hopefully reusable) TMs? I hope we get some more info soon regarding if the games will be a near 1:1 remake of the originals or if they'll have some form of recent gen additions like TRs, Nature Mints, and the like (and I'm not talking about things like the Fairy type, as that should be a given at this point).

Something interesting came to mind. Will these games have full connectivity with Sword/Shield? Or will they suffer the same consequences that XY and ORAS had with limited connectivity? Also, will the additions in Sword/Shield make it over to these games like TRs and Nature Mints? Or will it be completely faithful to their original counterparts and only have (hopefully reusable) TMs? I hope we get some more info soon regarding if the games will be a near 1:1 remake of the originals or if they'll have some form of recent gen additions like TRs, Nature Mints, and the like (and I'm not talking about things like the Fairy type, as that should be a given at this point).

I'm thinking they won't really be compatible with SwSh at all, much like LGPE. But even if that's the case, they can still implement SwSh's quality of life solutions in other ways. TRs would just need to revert to unbreakable TMs, and LGPE contained a sort of precursor to Mints with Madame Celadon. Something similar could be applied here. (Then again, LGPE carried over Bottle Caps from Gen 7 so they could follow suit and simply bring Mints as they are into these as well.)

1614354089811.png

A mobile game has better character models than BDSP...

Well. Diamond and Pearl weren't part of my childhood, so I don't have the same nostalgia for these games some other fans do. Visually it is disappointing, considering that it's going to be on Switch. I'm not a huge fan of those very chibi-fied overworld models, for another thing. By itself, not a dealbreaker, so we'll see.

I'm thinking they won't really be compatible with SwSh at all, much like LGPE. But even if that's the case, they can still implement SwSh's quality of life solutions in other ways. TRs would just need to revert to unbreakable TMs, and LGPE contained a sort of precursor to Mints with Madame Celadon. Something similar could be applied here. (Then again, LGPE carried over Bottle Caps from Gen 7 so they could follow suit and simply bring Mints as they are into these as well.)

Well, the thing about LGPE is that it's a spin-off (or a "bridge", according to GF prior to Sword/Shield's reveal), and spin-offs usually don't connect to the main series games unless they have some sort of bonus, like the Manaphy egg, or were a stadium-like platform such as Battle Revolution. So, LGPE isn't a good example of connectivity between games, especially since Gen 7 was mainly on the 3DS while LGPE was on the Switch, two completely different consoles. While, yes, there is such a thing as backwards compatibility, such as how the original DS and DS Lite had the ability to use GBA cartridges, those were handhelds, thus they were very similar to each other. On top of that, LGPE was a heavy stripped down game compared to Sword/Shield due to having things like Abilities, held items, and so on, thus I would expect them to not be compatible due to the severe limited nature of LGPE. Since both the DP remakes and Sword/Shield are on the same console, and could be considered in the same Gen, it raises the question if there is any compatibility between them. That's what I'm wondering. As for TRs becoming TMs, yeah, I can see that, but I wonder if that means we'll be stripped back down to just 100 TMs again and lose the ability to teach even more moves to our Mons or will we have 200 TMs instead?

Well, the thing about LGPE is that it's a spin-off (or a "bridge", according to GF prior to Sword/Shield's reveal), and spin-offs usually don't connect to the main series games unless they have some sort of bonus, like the Manaphy egg, or were a stadium-like platform such as Battle Revolution.
LGPE are main series games. They were explicitly labeled as such.

Well, the thing about LGPE is that it's a spin-off (or a "bridge", according to GF prior to Sword/Shield's reveal), and spin-offs usually don't connect to the main series games unless they have some sort of bonus, like the Manaphy egg, or were a stadium-like platform such as Battle Revolution. So, LGPE isn't a good example of connectivity between games, especially since Gen 7 was mainly on the 3DS while LGPE was on the Switch, two completely different consoles. While, yes, there is such a thing as backwards compatibility, such as how the original DS and DS Lite had the ability to use GBA cartridges, those were handhelds, thus they were very similar to each other. On top of that, LGPE was a heavy stripped down game compared to Sword/Shield due to having things like Abilities, held items, and so on, thus I would expect them to not be compatible due to the severe limited nature of LGPE. Since both the DP remakes and Sword/Shield are on the same console, and could be considered in the same Gen, it raises the question if there is any compatibility between them. That's what I'm wondering. As for TRs becoming TMs, yeah, I can see that, but I wonder if that means we'll be stripped back down to just 100 TMs again and lose the ability to teach even more moves to our Mons or will we have 200 TMs instead?
I think that TRs are staying around, because the past remakes (LGPE excluded) kept the same TM lists as the originals.

It’s still early in development, but yeah the entire art style is something I’m not really a fan of.
The game is coming out this year, so within 10 months. You think they're still going to redo all the 3D character models? I doubt the final game is gonna look much different from this.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom