• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The True Potential of Pokemon Legends becoming a series

Poke Dragon

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
We all know that Game Freak is making a spiritual Sinnoh prequel titled Pokemon Legends: Arceus, a game that takes place in Sinnoh long before Diamond and Pearl (and their remakes). However, the series might not have to be limited to just prequels, we could get long-awaited sequels of past main series games as well. This is a really exciting prospect, which makes me hope that Pokemon Legends: Arceus sells really well so we get to see more Pokemon Legends in the future.

Anyways, what potential you would like to see with Pokemonn Legends becoming a series?

Last edited:
I'm sure Unova will get this treatment before Kalos does, but a game based on the war in Kalos and the creation of the Ultimate Weapon would be really cool. Not sure if that story would be too dark though, we'll see how serious the plot of this one gets. It's still Pokemon after all.

If they do prequels for Unova, maybe we can finally see the full dragon.

As far as sequels go, I know we're all sick of Kanto, but sequels covering what happened after Gen 7 in both Kanto and Johto could be cool. That's what I used to hope LGPE would be. Sequels to Galar with Hop as a professor and all that would be cool way down the line too.

Honestly provided this game works out I'm more excited to see how GF makes more completely new regions and stories with this format i.e. Gen 9, though this game already is brand new besides the region and mons.

I would personally like a Pokemon Legends game being a sequel to Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 where you befriend Pokemon without the use of Poke Balls like how N wants. And as a central point of humans and Pokemon working together without Poke Balls, they could have a way that you can befriend all three dragons and have them fuse back together on their own.

What do you think? I've seen some news outlets like IGN refer to it as a spin off, but during the presentation they specifically stated this was a new era for the Pokémon series (official talk for main series). In the Japanese too it said the Pokémon series was moving into a new era (新時代). Then again, the subtitle of 'Legends' suggests that this might be the first game in a new series of Pokémon games altogether. Let's discuss.
EDIT:
The game is confirmed to be a main series game, but is it the start of a trend of more Legends type games set in the past? Is it just a one off experiment like the Let's Go games so far? Would you like to see more Legends type games or would you prefer the 'classic' main series games?

Last edited:
I think it is confirmed to be a main series game; Bulbapedia lists it as such. I've heard talk that in the Japanese trailer/presentation they said so.

Legends: Mew(?) - Maybe the time period of whatever war Lt. Surge was in. How many regions were involved? What caused it?
Legends: Rayquaza - So many questions could be explored: how much was known about Mega Evolution after Rayquaza Mega Evolved? What did Hoenn look like before the meteor showers? How did the Sootopolitans come to Sootopolis City? (That's maybe a thousand or so years before ORAS but shhh let me dream.)

Kanto: The War
Johto: The period where the Tower is on fire and the three Legendary Dogs are born.
Hoenn: ???
Unova: The split of the Original Dragon into Reshiram and Zekrom and the creation of the region. THere's also the King from the Underwater Ruins being hinted to be N's ancestor.
Kalos: AZ's Great War, perhaps a 'sequel' based off of a 'what-if' scenario if Lysandre launched the weapon succesfully and the world began to evolve again.
Alola: ???
Galar: The period of the Darkest Day when Eternatus first falls onto the Earth and causes the Darkest Day and the moment Zacian and Zamazenta rise and become heroes.

I’m pretty sure it has been confirmed as a main series title due to the “Pocket Monsters” part of the title in the Japan.
I think it is confirmed to be a main series game; Bulbapedia lists it as such. I've heard talk that in the Japanese trailer/presentation they said so.
You're right lol, I'm gonna change the title of this thread. So what about the 'Legends' subtitle? Is this hinting towards more Legends games to come as part of the main series games or are we going back to regular formula next time? I'd love to visit ancient Johto and help rescue Ecruteak City during the fire or meet with the builders of Ruins of Alph for example.

Pokémon Legends: Mewtwo and the Y2K problem. Just kidding... unless?

Oh oh oh! What if the Pokémon world (or at least one of the regions or a group of regions) had a Renaissance era following a Dark Ages period?

Johto: The period where the Tower is on fire and the three Legendary Dogs are born.
Unova: The split of the Original Dragon into Reshiram and Zekrom and the creation of the region. THere's also the King from the Underwater Ruins being hinted to be N's ancestor.
Kalos: AZ's Great War, perhaps a 'sequel' based off of a 'what-if' scenario if Lysandre launched the weapon succesfully and the world began to evolve again.
Galar: The period of the Darkest Day when Eternatus first falls onto the Earth and causes the Darkest Day and the moment Zacian and Zamazenta rise and become heroes.

All great ideas. Maybe for Alola, it would be the creation of the Island Challenge?

It's a main series game, but I think assuming it's the start of a new subseries is as presumptuous as it was with Let's Go. They're experimenting, not codifying.

It's a main series game, but I think assuming it's the start of a new subseries is as presumptuous as it was with Let's Go. They're experimenting, not codifying.

It all depends on how successful they are. When an experiment becomes successful, they repeat it because they're more confident it can make money. And if it continues to make money again and again, then it becomes a series. I think Game Freak by titling this Legends: Arceus is signaling they're confident it's going to work. And I can definitely see it, open world games are widely popular and Switch games that have pushed the envelope for their respective series (see: BotW, Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, ACNH) have been among the highest selling. It's not a sure thing yet, but I think this game could do very well in sales, maybe even more than expected.

Is Pokemon Legends confirmed to be main series???

Yes, based on Pocket Monsters being in the title and Game Freak themselves developing it, also all the gameplay such as the battles themselves look main game-esque. The best way I can put it is this: this is XD Gale of Darkness, if XD Gale of Darkness was considered a main series game.

Essentially Game Freak themselves is blurring the lines of what is a main series game with what I like to refer to as sub-series, those being Let's Go, and Legends. I think this is more so a test to see if people like this, they'll start making all Pokemon games in an open world style.

Hoenn's prequel could be based on the Delta Episode and the legend of the Draconids.

I feel like the Legend series, if it does become a series, will probably focus mainly on Mythicals. The game just reminds me of like the old events they used to have during gen 4, and considering Arceus got its event cut...it makes sense it would be the first to test the waters.

I feel like the Legend series, if it does become a series, will probably focus mainly on Mythicals. The game just reminds me of like the old events they used to have during gen 4, and considering Arceus got its event cut...it makes sense it would be the first to test the waters.

I reckon the other 3 mythicals will be available somehow, and rather give Arceus with the rest they've created this whole new game to allow you to transfer him.

It all depends on how successful they are. When an experiment becomes successful, they repeat it because they're more confident it can make money. And if it continues to make money again and again, then it becomes a series. I think Game Freak by titling this Legends: Arceus is signaling they're confident it's going to work. And I can definitely see it, open world games are widely popular and Switch games that have pushed the envelope for their respective series (see: BotW, Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, ACNH) have been among the highest selling. It's not a sure thing yet, but I think this game could do very well in sales, maybe even more than expected.
I mean SwSh were some of the best selling Pokémon games of all time and this looks like they're taking a completely different direction. Let's Go was already pretty successful and we have yet to see any new games in that style. Sure the sales are a part of it but it looks like this will be a radical shift gameplay-wise, let alone the ancient setting. They might just be experimenting with different styles of games. Remember that they said there were no plans for new Let's Go games initially.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom