• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

I think I’m gonna go with Cyndaquil as my starter. Mainly due to my “only two Fire types” ptsd I have from the original diamond and Pearl. Lol.

The western style "lab" building firmly places this in real world 1800s. It's not really that random.
Traveling by boat had already been established then, too. I guess not, but it still feels weird to me with setup. I guess we will have to see more gameplay to see what era/anachronistic features they are representing.

I was just thinking...

The official website says that the games are set during a time before the Pokemon league and before the concept of Pokemon trainers even existed.

It does make me wonder what the gameplay flow is going to be like for these games. Since they mentioned a town base, I wonder if maybe you'll be able to develop your town throughout the story?

I wonder if there will be some form of connectivity between BDSP and LA. Or like a perk/reward for having save data from one of them or something.
The concept of this game seems so bizarre. Namely, the Starters. Rowlet, Cyndaquil, and Oshawott were around for the genesis of the Sinnoh region? Yet none of them can be found in said region? And just how far in the past are we talking about? That this man could visit all three rather far regions, with Alola being quite remote, surrounded by oceans no less? I know I shouldn't think too hard, but it comes across as one of those fan-made Pokémon rpgs to me where the creator randomly selects Starters for their custom region.
Traveling by boat had already been established then, too. I guess not, but it still feels weird to me with setup. I guess we will have to see more gameplay to see what era/anachronistic features they are representing.

You, know, now that I think about it, it is a little suspicious that we got two different time periods of the same region with some potentially contradicting lore and achronisms. I think this could mean at least one of the following (if not both): 1) Legends is Game Freak's more creative solution to Arceus instead of just handing it to us directly or even restoring the Azure Flute and/or 2) This relates to what Bolt Strike said:
2. They're spacing out generations and Gen 9 may be a lot further off than we thought. No one ever thought they would make something this ambitious this soon because Game Freak can only do so much at a time. And it does seem unlikely that after finishing Legends: Arceus they would be able to dive right into another full scale 3D adventure and release Gen 9 in 2023. This tells me that Legends: Arceus could be a "Gen 8.5" of sorts and Gen 9 won't be happening anytime soon. They have a lot more in their toolkit now for spreading out generations so they can spend more time on the big new generations, they have traditional remakes as always, but now they have DLC, they have Let's Go, and they have Legends. I think we'll start to see 5-6 year generations with those kinds of games filling in the gaps. Maybe in 2023/2024 ILCA could give us a Let's Go Johto using BDSP's engine and then Gen 9 happens in 2024/2025. After SwSh turned out to be rushed and garnered complaints, they seem to be slowing things down and finding new ways to get more mileage out of each generation.
We have the traditional remakes in BDSP which might lean more towards a remaster, most likely in regards to the Pokédex selection as well. However, with Having to build our own regional dex, there might be certain Pokémon that weren't normally listed in ether DP nor Platinum's dex, or at least there might be more added with DLC or a free update. With Sinnoh's emphasis on time and space, what if part of Legend's plot is some sort of paradox that causes us to get sequels for the Sinnoh games, with player data from Legends regarding what Pokémon not part of the Sinnoh dex originally ends up deciding what Pokémon get added into the sequels?

Should this completely random thought turn out to be true, having BDSP be faithful to DP in terms of plot suddenly makes a lot more sense. Cyrus randomly leaving the plot with his fate being ambiguous instead of being trapped in another world allows him to go after the remaining two in a potential sequel, one where ends up being (slightly) more successful. This would explain quite a lot about the hypothetical sequels in relation to BDSP.

This most likely won't happen, but it would be pretty creative and fits things together like a puzzle piece.

I wonder how the anime will cover it since it's set in the past.
They probably won't and just do their own thing. (like orange islands) Either that or they'll do the Arceus storyline but just set it in the present day.
You seem to be forgetting that Ash has dealt with time travel before, especially when he befriended a young Oak and a Celebi in the 4th Movie and traveled to the past to calm down Arceus in the second-to-last Sinnoh movie. If need be, Arceus could have Dialga or Celebi send Ash and Goh into the past due to some sort of paradox that needs correcting.

So, apparently, if you have no Pokémon on you, you can get attacked.

And the battle ends if the MC takes a certain amount of damage.

You can actually throw hands at Arceus. Like, your own goddamn hands.
Wait what?! Where was this stated?! Official website?

You, know, now that I think about it, it is a little suspicious that we got two different time periods of the same region with some potentially contradicting lore and achronisms. I think this could mean at least one of the following (if not both): 1) Legends is Game Freak's more creative solution to Arceus instead of just handing it to us directly or even restoring the Azure Flute and/or 2) This relates to what Bolt Strike said:

We have the traditional remakes in BDSP which might lean more towards a remaster, most likely in regards to the Pokédex selection as well. However, with Having to build our own regional dex, there might be certain Pokémon that weren't normally listed in ether DP nor Platinum's dex, or at least there might be more added with DLC or a free update. With Sinnoh's emphasis on time and space, what if part of Legend's plot is some sort of paradox that causes us to get sequels for the Sinnoh games, with player data from Legends regarding what Pokémon not part of the Sinnoh dex originally ends up deciding what Pokémon get added into the sequels?

Should this completely random thought turn out to be true, having BDSP be faithful to DP in terms of plot suddenly makes a lot more sense. Cyrus randomly leaving the plot with his fate being ambiguous instead of being trapped in another world allows him to go after the remaining two in a potential sequel, one where ends up being (slightly) more successful. This would explain quite a lot about the hypothetical sequels in relation to BDSP.

This most likely won't happen, but it would be pretty creative and fits things together like a puzzle piece.

You seem to be forgetting that Ash has dealt with time travel before, especially when he befriended a young Oak and a Celebi in the 4th Movie and traveled to the past to calm down Arceus in the second-to-last Sinnoh movie. If need be, Arceus could have Dialga or Celebi send Ash and Goh into the past due to some sort of paradox that needs correcting.

But it was only for a movie. This may require Ash, Goh, Koharu, and maybe Dawn to go back in time for a few episodes.

Setting the game in the past is one of the more original things this franchise has ever done. I really like the design on those old-times pokeballs.

Do the two main characters have a name yet? They do appear to be designed after Dawn and Lucas, but they're obviously different characters, right?

I was just thinking. How will online trading/battling function in these games?

Since technology isn't advanced enough I wonder how it'll work, maybe they'll have Dialga/Palkia using their powers to send Pokemon through portals to other players games?

Maybe online battles will happen through the distortion world?

But it was only for a movie. This may require Ash, Goh, Koharu, and maybe Dawn to go back in time for a few episodes.
And how is a multi-part time travel arc a bad thing? If need be, they could have the characters go back and forth with the excuse of making sure they don't mess up the present.

I was just thinking. How will online trading/battling function in these games?

Since technology isn't advanced enough I wonder how it'll work, maybe they'll have Dialga/Palkia using their powers to send Pokemon through portals to other players games?

Maybe online battles will happen through the distortion world?

And how would you store your Pokémon? There's no way PCs were a thing back then. You would need to time travel to the future.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom