• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Cryogonal can learn attract. But he has no gender...
Watch what you're saying there, lol. (I know Cryogonal is genderless, don't get me wrong.) Yeah, it is a bit weird why the makers of the Pokémon games let a genderless Pokémon learn Attract, I agree. At least they rectified the issue in Generation VIII (8), where Cryogonal cannot learn Attract anymore.

~~~

In other news, why in the world can't Archen and Archeops learn Brave Bird? Being prehistoric birds instead of present-day birds is no excuse, in my opinion. Maybe Archen can't fly very well if at all, but Archeops very much can, as illustrated by its animation in the 3D Pokémon games.
archeops.gif
If Doduo, Dodrio, and Galarian Zapdos can learn Brave Bird, then Archen and/or Archeops should be able to, too.

Is Crobat a bird? And Megazard X is good in Physical
While I do think it's strange that Crobat gets it, at least I sorta of do get it: it's in the same egg group as a LOT o mons who have BB, and considering it's body shape, I can accept it.

And Mega Charizard X is not on SS, besides the fact that it doesn't gets any STAB, since it loses the Flying type. AND Charizard is in the Dragon and Monster egg groups, neither has any mons who gets it. It could MAYBE get it through TR, but it's not the end of the world that it doesn't gets it imo.

Is Crobat a bird? And Megazard X is good in Physical

Mega Charizard X would never run Brave Bird. It already has Flare Blitz as its "Beat stuff up" move with recoil. Between that, DD and Roost, there's one more slot left and I'll tell you, that won't go to Brave Bird.

That said, I do understand the sentiment. If anything, I would more so wonder about Hurricane. Those wings aren't for show.

It could be good in a playtrough

I'm not sure. In theory, maybe. But between Dragon Claw, Outrage, Flare Blitz, Earthquake, Dragon Dance, Sword Dance, Roost and other stuff, I don't think Brave Bird takes care of anything that Flare Blitz already wouldn't.

It could be good in a playtrough
I’ve always found that recoil moves are bad for playthroughs considering you can usually get by with weaker moves just fine. Typically, recoil just makes the games more frustrating as I spend more time going back to the Pokémon Center. Only in competitive does the damage difference negate the recoil methinks.

That aside, I don’t think Brave Bird is fitting on Charizard considering everything that can learn it is avian with the exception of the Zubat line. Really what I think we need is more strong Flying moves with no drawbacks and with a more general application, but that’s a discussion for another thread.

Last edited:
I don’t think whether or not the move is good on it or if it’s a Physical/Special Attacker is really a determining factor. Just look at things like Klinklang or Garbodor.

Kind of.

It stopped Kyurem-Black from getting a proper physical Ice STAB in the first place. And when it got one, it was one with only 15 (?) BP. (Granted it's more total cause it's multi-hit, but still.)

It does play a factor for some cases.

That aside, I don’t think Brave Bird is fitting on Charizard considering everything that can learn it is avian with the exception of the Zubat line. Really what I think we need is more strong Flying moves with no drawbacks and with a more general application, but that’s a discussion for another thread.

This goes for quite a lot of typings, to be honest. At least Flying still has stuff like Brave Bird and now Dual Wingbeat (And Fly and something else I forgot, which for in-game playthroughs, are more than good enough), where as Physical Electric-types... only really have Wild Charge. (Unless you are fortunate enough to have arms/hands and get Thunder Punch.)

Kind of.

It stopped Kyurem-Black from getting a proper physical Ice STAB in the first place. And when it got one, it was one with only 15 (?) BP. (Granted it's more total cause it's multi-hit, but still.)

It does play a factor for some cases.
I imagine it does prevent some Pokémon from learning moves that would be OP, but the opposite isn’t really true. Plus Black Kyurem has always had Freeze Shock.

I imagine it does prevent some Pokémon from learning moves that would be OP, but the opposite isn’t really true. Plus Black Kyurem has always had Freeze Shock.

Never stopped them from stacking Rayquaza, Groudon or Zacian with a huge movepool and give them ever more tools afterwards.

Freeze Shock was so good everyone just ran Ice Beam.

Never stopped them from stacking Rayquaza, Groudon or Zacian with a huge movepool and give them ever more tools afterwards.

Freeze Shock was so good everyone just ran Ice Beam.
The point I was making in the first place is that viability doesn’t usually determine learnset but there are likely several instances where a move would be too powerful on a certain Pokémon.

Freeze Shock is a physical move, that’s all I was saying.

The fact that Heracross can't learn X-Scissor triggers me. It's one of the best Bug type moves in Gen 4 yet I can't teach it to my Heracross in Platinum. And it couldn't learn U-turn in Gen 4 either for whatever reason. :/

The fact that Heracross can't learn X-Scissor triggers me. It's one of the best Bug type moves in Gen 4 yet I can't teach it to my Heracross in Platinum. And it couldn't learn U-turn in Gen 4 either for whatever reason. :/

To be fair, Megahorn is pretty excellent, and if I had to pick between the two I'd much rather have it over X-Scissor (*cough*Pinsirscrewedagain*cough*).

This said, I think there's a move that both Heracross and Pinsir should get. I mistakenly said in the 'Worst type' thread that there's no Bug-type priority move, when in actuality it just has such poor distribution that I forgot about it - First Impression. It'd be an extremely fitting and effective power-up for the battling Bugs, given it translates as 'Head-long Collision'.

Heracross has this awkward thing where GameFreak seems to consider him a Fighting-type more so than anything. (I also don't see how he's supposed to X-scissor something with those non-sharp hand thingies of his, but I guess they can make it work if WOoper gets Ice Punch.)

Speaking of Bug Mons I'm surprised that Scyther and Scizor don't learn Bug Bite naturally. Considering that they actually have mouths (and in Scyther's case, fangs) unlike other Mons that learn it such as Pineco, and yet they can't learn it strikes me as odd. Plus, as they're one of the more proficient Technician users, learning a decently strong STAB move that would work alongside that ability would be pretty useful. But, instead, they can only learn it via things like Move Tutors at best. It's not even a TM/TR in Gen 8. It's almost as of GF went out of their way to force people to use other Bug moves in order to avoid Bug Bite + Technician by limiting how/when Scyther/Scizor can actually learn the move. Anyone else find that odd?

I find it strange that the Bulbasaur line is notorious for not getting Dig, like the anime even pointed out... when it’s the one that makes the most sense out of the other Kanto starters that do.

The pokemon associated with the sky and the one associated with the sea can burrow underground, but not the one associated with... the ground?

Back
Top Bottom