• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Would it really?

We've always gotten new mythical Pokemon each gen along with the box legendaries (which Arceus effectively is for this game, even if it's more like a box mythical it's ultimately the same role) and it has never been an issue.

Are you assuming that this new mythical would be catchable in-game? I was thinking it would be more like a typical downloadable mythical and not be related to the story. It may not even be revealed straight away, which would mean there would be no chance of it outshining Arceus.
If the potential new mythical has no importance to the main story and is an event, then sure it would be a fun addition. An in-game catchable mythical like Deoxys is not impossible, although I guess a downloadable one is more likely.

However, new mythicals tend to generate hype around them. I just want Arceus to have the spotlight and hype to itself because it never had its moment in DPPt (example: discarded Azure Flute event).

A new mythical might share (or even take away) the spotlight from Arceus, though. Existing mythicals like Darkrai or Shaymin are fine, but new mythicals could take attention away from Arceus. I think it would be best to keep Arceus as the mascot mythical for this game and not have other new mythicals that could potentially take away the spotlight from it.

As for adding new non-mythical, non-legendary pokemon in the game, I'm all for it.

Can take attention away from God.

I think we can say that it's Pokemon so it will sell. It's an open world pokemon with graphics that are not taken from game cube so it's safe to assume it will sell well. In the end, however, this is a game like many others and it will smash sales if it will deserve that. If this is Pokemon trying open world just because open world sounds cool than it will sell like any other Pokemon game that it's not a new gen (let's say 15 milions), if they actually did a good job because they wanted to finally release an actual good and polished product after 10 years, than it will sell like a new gen (let's say 20 milions). If they truly wanted this game to be the beginning of a new era where "it's GF" doesn't sound like an insult and they'll be able to deliver a great game, then this game has all the potential to be the best selling switch title, because it's great and because it's pokemon.
(After sw/sh, I'm totally ok with the second option)

I may not sell that we'll, but it could make Gen IX sell more than SwSh if it has open world.

While I want this game to smash sales too, there are some problems that it may face on its way on the market:

- This is the first recent main serie game with no second title --> It will not benefit of all those sales related to people who usually buy both versions.
- Pokemon Legends: Arceus --> Don't expect those 22 milions people who bought sw/sh to be core fans. Most of them probably don't even know who the hell Arceus is.
- It will lunch early 2022. No holiday season release, and while it's always Pokemon we are talking about, holiday releases are usually the best release dates for Pokemon (look at past titles).
- It's not a new gen, no new pokemon. While in the past GF could even make terrible games because people would have bought them anyway if new pokemon or forms/megas etc. were in them, now you don't buy new pokemon, you buy a new idea.
(- No Charizard? XD)

This said, It is clearly possible the game will sell incredibly well and smash sw/sh sales, I honestly hope that with all my heart, because this GF risking for the first time in 25 years, this is GF saying "we are making a game for core fans because we are finally admitting that there are people that have played pokemon for decades", people who want to go back to Sinnoh and discover more about Arceus and the creation of the pokemon world. They could have done the usual tiny little step forward but they decided to go all in. If this is the direction you want Pokemon to follow, it's important you buy this game despite the flaws it may have in the end.
Wouldn't not knowing what Arceus is bring intrigue to those who played swsh for the first time? They might be curious about this "new" Pokemon and the botw like gameplay (the pokeball throwing btw looked exactly like link throwing weapons) and buy it off that premise and having enjoyed the last Pokemon game.

However, new mythicals tend to generate hype around them. I just want Arceus to have the spotlight and hype to itself because it never had its moment in DPPt (example: discarded Azure Flute event).

Personally I don't feel like the mythical pokemon have ever taken away hype from the box legendaries though. Usually we have a reason to love the box legendary whereas the mythical is just a static image in a file dump.

I think if the mythical generates any hype it would be well after release when they actually officially announce them.

I may not sell that we'll, but it could make Gen IX sell more than SwSh if it has open world.
It's interesting to understand now how many games are being developped at GF. Considering past games cycles, we can assume that the team that worked on Let's Go, around half or end of 2018 should have started working on the remake of this gen. We know the remakes were made by ILCA so we can assume that in the second half of 2018, while team A was still working on sw/sh (and part of it will continue working on the DLC during 2019-early 2020), team B has started working on Legends.
With an early 2022 release, Legends will have a development cycle of 3/3.5 years (around 4 months more than a new gen). The important question is: what has team A been doing since sw/sh (and DLC) release? Are both teams working on Legends? Or part of the team is already working on gen 9?
If the teams are still divided and gen 9 is already in development, I think it's safe to say that from now on new gens games will be the usual mediocre games in the style of x/y and sw/sh, with their main purpose being introducing new pokemon and creating a new competitve scene.
All this just to underline that I would not expect gen 9 to be full openworld. "Full openworld" imo will be the selling factor of Legends, like "semplified nostalgic remake" is the selling point of Let's go. The team of gen 9 has to create around 80 new pokemon with stats, moves, a new region, a new mechanic for competitve, gyms, league etc., don't know if they'll have the time to make the games full open world.
Legends will influence gen 9 for sure. Probably the games will be more open with a free camera like the Crown Tundra was but since the Legends serie exists Gen 9 will not be too similar to it like Gen 8 was not similar to Let's Go while using some of its features. Unless Legends serie will replace the "main main" serie, which would be perfect but not what they said.

There might be crafting in the game, since i doubt there is a shop that sells Pokeballs and Evolution stones, since there is literally no point in there being one, since there aren't any trainers.
I can see that being the case. That would be something new to the series.

There might be crafting in the game, since i doubt there is a shop that sells Pokeballs and Evolution stones, since there is literally no point in there being one, since there aren't any trainers.

Evolution stones could probably be sold at a shop or merchant's booth. Trainers don't exist, but people can still look at Evolution stones and think they're pretty rocks worth collecting.

I would imagine you'd get more Poké Balls from the professor, but it certainly would be cool if we could make them (and other items) ourselves.

so we can assume that in the second half of 2018, while team A was still working on sw/sh (and part of it will continue working on the DLC during 2019-early 2020), team B has started working on Legends.
Most of the LGPE staff worked on SwSh, too. The idea of this nice split into two teams is a fallacy (especially when the company tends to work on more than two projects simultaneously); most of the staff can move from project onto the next without being tied to it for the entire development cycle.

We don't know how long Legends has been in development.

Trainers as a concept still exist. It's just officially on paper they don't since there is no leauge.

At the most I see there being a pokeball maker like Kurt where you get the balls from. I mean given Johto lore, they're probably just used as animal carriers/traps/cages at this point in time.

Also, why and how would a 12 year old know how to meticulously craft a age old animal trap which is probably in its second or third iteration by now?

As someone who near religiously plays ACNH...please no more crafting. Just give me permanent tools. I am tired.

Trainers as a concept still exist. It's just officially on paper they don't since there is no leauge.

At the most I see there being a pokeball maker like Kurt where you get the balls from. I mean given Johto lore, they're probably just used as animal carriers/traps/cages at this point in time.

Also, why and how would a 12 year old know how to meticulously craft a age old animal trap which is probably in its second or third iteration by now?

As someone who near religiously plays ACNH...please no more crafting. Just give me permanent tools. I am tired.

Maybe you need to gather the resources so someone does the crafting.

Apricorns are the only thing I see coming back. I doubt you have to go collect a full list of ingredients.

And even then, maybe a local general store sells diffrent kinds of apricorns in place of the normal, great, ultra, and premier balls. If you want other balls, you'll probably have to gather them from trees at random ala Johto or the DLC.

I’d love to see a crafting system in Legends. In my opinion, finding and gathering materials for crafting is one of the things that can easily give value to the open world setting by ensuring that exploration is (always) rewarded and that, in turn, encourages more exploration thus creating a gameplay loop.

Evolution stones could probably be sold at a shop or merchant's booth. Trainers don't exist, but people can still look at Evolution stones and think they're pretty rocks worth collecting.

I would imagine you'd get more Poké Balls from the professor, but it certainly would be cool if we could make them (and other items) ourselves.
Hmm. I wonder if an ancestor of Kurt's could supply them.

So what exactly is this game meant to be? Just exploring the region capturing Pokemon? Are there even going to be villages or small cities? I like the idea of the game, but it has no multiplayer and it's a single player only entry. It has to offer a lot to be worth it.

We really don’t know that it’s strictly single-player yet. We’ve technically never had a strictly single player main series game. Ever. Don’t see why it would start with what appears to be their most ambitious project to date. Even the vast majority of Pokémon spin-offs have some form of multiplayer capacity.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom