• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Game Corner

Peppermint Phoenix

The one once known as Alphaphlare
Reaction score
Is there any hope that the slots could be replaced with something or is the ORAS/Let's GO route a sure thing? They could put the 2007 TCG format, pinball, the gameboy version of pokemon puzzle league, a racing minigame based on pokemon Dash. There are a lot options.

Obviously we can't say there's no chance whatsoever, but I wouldn't think it's particularly likely. I suspect they'll just do what they did in LGPE and turn it into a big, non-functional display. Besides, these remakes will have their own minigames elsewhere, what with the Underground and Super Contests and all that, so I don't think they'd be inclined to nick the concepts of some other games and plug them in here. They've got other, more important stuff to work on.

@Esserise Remakes are ideally an improvement over the the original especially when one is a full priced console release over a 15 year old handheld release. The originals had "the Underground and Super Contests and all that" in addition to the slots. Kirby super star Ultra had both more main game and more minigames than the original so I don't see why Gamefreak can't fill an empty display with something new.

Ideally, sure. But these games are due out in like 7-8 months. They'll be concentrating first and foremost on getting the original stuff in there and making sure it all works in order to properly recreate the experience. Maybe they have an idea for the Game Corner, but I wouldn't expect it to be a priority.

And at any rate, "improvement" can be defined in so many ways beyond just "more minigames," so it's not as if not doing anything with the Game Corner will mean there's been no improvements on the originals. (Though honestly that's a low bar to clear given how many problems DP had.)

Ideally, sure. But these games are due out in like 7-8 months. They'll be concentrating first and foremost on getting the original stuff in there and making sure it all works in order to properly recreate the experience. Maybe they have an idea for the Game Corner, but I wouldn't expect it to be a priority.
They should be on track and already have a good grip on both by now if the game is releasing this year.

This one is kinda iffy. On the one hand, given how ORAS and LGPE either shut them down or reworked them, the Game Corner returning seems unlikely. However, because the Game Corner is connected to Team Galactic, along with the fact that some minor characters have "connections" to it (Maylene's father, for example, thus it's one of the reasons why she's so poor), and the fact the word "faithful" has been thrown around by GF a lot, there is a chance it could return in some shape or form. I'm willing to bet it'll take the LGPE route and "give" us a Game Corner but it'll be non-functional to us the player, given the whole gambling issue that cropped up during Gen 4. As for the fate of the prizes, they could try a lotto-like idea where each day you'd randomly get one of the prizes there by paying a small amount of Poke Dollars (kinda like the rooftop lotto at Goldenrod in HGSS). That might be the "safest" option to take so it won't set off any alarms to certain people. That's just a guess on my end. We'll see soon enough, I guess.

Nope, it'll probably be a shuttered up building like ORAS because outsourced, probably low budget game that they don't have time to add bells and whistles to.

It'd be nice if they replace it with some new mini-game like they did with the Game Corners in the international versions of HGSS but I doubt they're willing to go that far; I mean they've barely updated the overworld graphics and couldn't be bothered to give Lucas and Dawn new outfits in the main games, so I doubt that giving us a new Game Corner is on their list of priorities...

I'm probably guessing they'll keep it but make it non-functional, kinda like what was the case in European versions of Platinum. It is sad that PEGI automatically slapping the equivalent to the ESRB's T rating on anything with gambling is what's preventing the Game Corners from ever returning, but it's something we now all come to expect at this point.

The hilarious thing about this now is how games like the Fifa games and NBA 2K games have literal gambling, and yet the ESRB doesn't do anything about it. So something that doesn't even allow you to use real money gets removed because it simulates real life gambling, but games that have literal gambling mechanics where you can spend real money on card packs for random chances of getting cards get a free pass.

This industry sometimes, i swear.

The hilarious thing about this now is how games like the Fifa games and NBA 2K games have literal gambling, and yet the ESRB doesn't do anything about it. So something that doesn't even allow you to use real money gets removed because it simulates real life gambling, but games that have literal gambling mechanics where you can spend real money on card packs for random chances of getting cards get a free pass.

Back during Gen 4 loot boxes, gatcha, and microtransactions weren't a huge thing. They thought an in-game mini-game using in-game money would get kids hooked on gambling.

I goes to show you there's always something worse lurking around the corner.

Also consider the fact that there is at least one mobile Pokemon game out there with gambling microtransaction mechanics (Pokemon Masters).

So literally, in the Pokemon series we can't have fictional gambling, but kids are allowed to spend real money to gamble in Pokemon Masters.

Also consider the fact that there is at least one mobile Pokemon game out there with gambling microtransaction mechanics (Pokemon Masters).
I had completely forgotten about that. Just, yeesh.

If there's one thing more ironic than this, i don't know. Removing content from a game because it simulates gambling, only for less than 10 years down the line make a game in the same series that has actual gambling in it.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom