• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Well, that reduces my opinion of Charon even further...

Yeah, Charon's kind of a big nothing; an afterthought. All that talk of being a super-genius, and his big grand plan is... to blow stuff up and extort some money.

Just for the sake of further probing and discussion, here's the text from the two notebooks in the lab:

"It was by pure chance that I obtained information about the Pokémon Rotom. Remarkably, Rotom has the ability to enter and merge with special motors. It's now known that Rotom can stay inside a motor almost indefinitely. However, it will emerge if it enters a Union Room or Wi-Fi Club. Rotom will also emerge from the motor if it is left at the Day Care. Rotom may also forget certain moves when it leaves a motor. This Pokémon requires exhaustive observation and analysis. To ensure I get all the credit, my Rotom research must be kept secret. They will come to recognize me as the scientific genius Char..."

The rest of the notebook is blank.

"Our encounter was a sudden one. It was when I found my toy robot, one that I had earlier misplaced. At that instant, a Pokémon startlingly emerged from the lawn mower's motor! Clutching my robot, I stared, transfixed by the peculiar Pokémon.

The Pokémon hovered in the air, held aloft by a power unseen. As if curious and unafraid of my presence, it floated toward me. Crackling sounds accompanied it, as if from static electricity in the air. Remarkably, it seemed the Pokémon was the source of this power! In alarm, I flinched, certain that my face would be subjected to a shock. Much to my surprise, the Pokémon seemed to favor me with a smile.

Finally, I came to realize that the Pokémon only wished to be friends. I have decided to name this most wondrous Pokémon 'Rotom.' Simple though it may be, Rotom emerged to me from the motor of a lawn mower. Motor and Rotom... Surely the link is obvious?

Rotom is a Pokémon that is simply sensational. The fact that it can turn invisible is simply the beginning. What makes Rotom unique is its ability to enter and operate machinery!

Rotom and I became fast friends. We were perpetual companions. The electricity from its body forbade contact, however. We could not touch, let alone hug or hold hands, but we cared not. For we were bonded on a much deeper, incorporeal level.

A feeling of mischief got the better of me one day. Seeing Rotom hovering, I decided to startle it--normally I would not. Perhaps frightened, Rotom discharged power beyond its usual range. I fell, stunned, into the arms of unconsciousness...

When I came to, to my horror I realized that Rotom had disappeared. I searched high and low for my friend in dismay and desperation. 'Don't chastise yourself. The fault is mine. No harm done. Let us play as we always have.' Though my words poured out, my friend could not be found to hear them...

My search for Rotom carried me far from home. It was in the town's rubbish heap that I again found my old toy robot. Curiously, our eyes met, then the robot waved a hand as if in greeting. I knew then that I had found my lost friend. I ran to it and hugged Rotom tight, talking on and on.

The robot's eyes lit up happily as I held it. I'm certain that, within it, Rotom was emitting lots of electricity. Somehow, I felt I could understand Rotom's thoughts better than before. Also, I realized that we would remain friends throughout our lives..."

The notebook ends with this page...

There's certainly room for interpretation, but considering that we know about Cyrus's fondness for machines in his youth, the toy robot is, I think, a clear hint, in addition to the heightened vocabulary that is characteristic of him. (Cyrus is the guy who taught me the word "vacuous," after all.) Furthermore, Charon's notebook, which explicitly ends with his typical boasting and cut-off signature, says that he "obtained information about Rotom by pure chance," at which point he begins to describe its ability to enter motors. But if Charon were the author of the other notebook, surely he would already know about its ability? That leads me to think that he discovered the old notebook due to his proximity to Cyrus, and then started researching Rotom on his own. And of course, there is the brief interaction between Cyrus and the Rotom Dex in USUM, which I would argue makes more sense if it's Cyrus who has the personal connection to Rotom.

> Cyrus: "...Why are you able to create such strong bonds with your Pokémon? And how are you able to turn those bonds into strength? ...I see. ...You need not worry, Rotom. I will not do anything to this world. I believe I shall return to the perfect world I created. But before that...take this key. Use it to activate the machine on the wall behind me. That should open the mirror door. Had I met you sooner...would things have been different for me...?"

Seeing Rotom appears to be what convinces him to relent. And like I alluded to on the other page, I think Cyrus having that sort of relationship as a child, with a friend he couldn't touch and had to relate to in a different way, informs to some degree the way he distances himself from people in the present.

It may also be worth noting that the second notebook only appears in Platinum, and is missing in HGSS (while Charon's notebook about Rotom's specs is still present).

I can see why they didn't use the chibi art style for the battle scenes.
It would look wierd them throwing the balls since they have no defined fingers (from what I can see of the chibi models).
Not to mention even in the pixelated games you get more detailed trainer sprites in battle.

Not to mention even in the pixelated games you get more detailed trainer sprites in battle.
Indeed. More detailed sprites are to the 2D games that the 3D models are for the Diamond and Pearl Remakes.
1614624451101.png

Here is Dawn's battle sprite from the originals. The intent with the 3D models is to emulate this. It's more detailed than the overworld sprite which means they can apply a throwing a ball animation, which they can't do with the overworld sprite:
1614624594424.png

I'm hoping they make setting up secret bases in the Underground less restrictive. Going from Emerald to Platinum and it was easy to notice that you didn't had as many options for items to put in your secret base, plus less space in general to put items in.

And more things to do because i recall you had only digging for items and making secret bases as the only things to do there.

Just how am I supposed to take Cyrus seriously in this chibi artstyle? Like what the hell.

chibi cyrus.PNG

I like Cyrus. He's definitely one of the darker characters in Pokemon, maybe a bit too dark for the series' own good. I remeber being shocked in Platinum when he stays in the Distortion World and then we just leave him there, to more or less die.

As in, is able to translate the Japanese into English and identify speech patterns.
oh, got it. I can identify patterns, yes, it's something that I find very interesting about the language too.

About translating, I can do small texts but not at the same level of Dogasu or Dephender.

There's really no reason to get hung up on the "faithful remakes" part. ORAS were described in a similar way ("full remakes") shortly after they were announced, and still had plenty of new/different content from the originals.

There's really no reason to get hung up on the "faithful remakes" part. ORAS were described in a similar way ("full remakes") shortly after they were announced, and still had plenty of new/different content from the originals.

Ok but the first trailer for ORAS had a tagline that was "Explore A Dramatic New World! " while this one's trailer used the words nostalgic and "faithful recreation" like 10 times. I do want to be wrong of course. I'm hoping for new content.

I can't help but notice that they didn't show the boxart for some reason and that's the only thing keeping my "new forms" dreams alive.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom