• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hisui Dex Discussion

I can pretty much say that the Porygon line will not exist in this Dex given they are digital Pokemon and given the time period of Pokemon Legends: Arceus, electronics weren't invented yet.

I think that like quite a few people here, I have to wonder what Pokémon might be omitted from and/or added to the Sinnoh Pokédex given how this game takes place in the past. Some Pokémon like the Porygon line and Rotom are too technologically advanced to be in the past, but what about certain evolutions like Electivire and Magmortar? Are the Magmarizer and Electicizer held items naturally occurring, or are they pieces of technology that the Magmar and Electibuzz lines adapted to later down the line? Are trade evolutions in general something that only came about through human intervention?

Another thing to take into account is if any of the Pokémon in early Sinnoh happened to be different and later adapted to the presence of modern advancements later down the line. Heck, now’s the perfect time for Game Freak to utilize scrapped designs that were never going to fit the standard games if they really wanted to makeup for some of the obviously missing species. Of course, that should only happen if they have some extra time.

Since electricity is naturally occurring, I still see Rotom making an appearance. It's just, the appliance forms wouldn't. They would just have to come up with alternate old world forms, which could work given the 1800s setting.

Someone in the thread brought up like an origami Porygon, which would be cool. Either that or it's still computer related...but it's now made out of punch cards in a vaugely bird shape, combining it with the origami option.

In recent gens, they've really been trying to move away from trade evolutions with having the evolved forms in the wild. So my guess is they'll just have trade evolutions in the wild again. Maybe if you want to evolve your own Electivire and Magmortar, they could easily make the mode of evolution a mossy/icy rock type where the Magmarizer and Electicizer are naturally occurring.

I’m pretty confident that there will be many Pokémon not in modern Sinnoh (aka BDSP) that will be in PLA. A lot of the feeling of exploration will be lessened if most of what we encounter is stuff we literally just caught a few months ago.

Sealeo is the obvious hint at this in the teaser. My mind goes to the remaining Pokémon that are not compatible with SwSh (knowing that Spheal already is in SwSh...), particularly to my favorite (Blitzle). If Pokémon like Blitzle aren’t in PLA, then they likely just won’t be in Gen 8 at all. That’s really sad, because Blitzle hasn’t really been in the main story of game since Unova.

I would love to see a herd of them glowing in a field during a thunderstorm... here’s hoping they make room for Pokémon like that. You can easily say that they were later brought to Unova and stopped appearing in Sinnoh due to territory issues.

Considering BDSP exists, I think that's enough reason to think the Pokedex in LA is gonna be much different.

"First Sinnoh Dex" doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna have everything from DPPt or BDSP, just look at BW -> B2W2 for two different Dexes in a region's history.

We already have Spheal line + the starters, so that's a good start.

Considering BDSP exists, I think that's enough reason to think the Pokedex in LA is gonna be much different.

"First Sinnoh Dex" doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna have everything from DPPt or BDSP, just look at BW -> B2W2 for two different Dexes in a region's history.

Exactly. And the lack of human development means much more room and environments for more and different Pokémon. Gamefreak does not shy away from the negative effects humans can have on Pokémon, and this would be a much more subtle example than something like Galarian Corsola.

Spheal could already be encountered in Sinnoh though, since it was in the Battle Zone.

I'd have to think that we can eliminate any fossil lines, since the tech doesn't exist (barring some kind of time travel shenanigans).

Honestly, Sinnoh seems like a good place to have a rift open and Ultra Beasts come popping out.

Idk Crown Tundra had wild fossil Pokémon and it was only slightly implied that this was the result of them being revived so I wouldn’t 100% count them out yet.

Wasn't it stated that the fossils lived in Crown Tundra because it was isolated and they could hide from civilization? The same could be true of Legends-era Sinnoh, because it hadn't been settled yet, there could still be fossil Pokemon surviving there. They could've gone extinct when Sinnoh was settled and later reintroduced when fossil restoration technology was invented. I think in general the "Sinnoh wasn't settled yet" card is a golden ticket for them to throw in whatever the hell they want and just say it was driven out of the region due to civilization encroaching on its habitat.

Yeah, but the Crown Tundra's case it's probably some kind of reintegration program. Like they were revived and then released.
Like I said, this is only very slightly hinted at. I believe it’s mentioned briefly in Omanyte’s Sword entry and that’s about it. As was said earlier in the thread, it can also be inferred that the Crown Tundra is just a very isolated place where ancient Pokémon can still survive which I’m sure could easily be accomplished by olden Sinnoh as well.

Like I said, this is only very slightly hinted at. I believe it’s mentioned briefly in Omanyte’s Sword entry and that’s about it. As was said earlier in the thread, it can also be inferred that the Crown Tundra is just a very isolated place where ancient Pokémon can still survive which I’m sure could easily be accomplished by olden Sinnoh as well.
I’m hoping that’s not the case because I’ve always loved the idea of Ancient forms of fossils that mostly drop the rock type. The idea that every Pokémon used to be post rock is hard for me to believe... the assumption is that the rock type is a leftover from the fossil process.

I’m hoping that’s not the case because I’ve always loved the idea of Ancient forms of fossils that mostly drop the rock type. The idea that every Pokémon used to be post rock is hard for me to believe... the assumption is that the rock type is a leftover from the fossil process.

I think there's two competing theories - there's what you've said, that the Rock type is a consequence of the fossilization process, but I've also seen it suggested that they were always Rock-type and that this quality made them more preservable and resistant to decay.

At any rate, on the subject of fossil Pokémon and whether they could be in these games, I've always thought it was odd that the Ruins of Alph have depictions of Omanyte and Aerodactyl even though the ruins only date back to 1,500 years ago. Of course, I'm sure that absolutely nobody at Game Freak thought about this for more than 10 seconds and just wanted some Pokémon that suggested ancient-ness, but hey.

Honestly, Sinnoh seems like a good place to have a rift open and Ultra Beasts come popping out.
While I agree that the Ultra Beasts would be a good match for Sinnoh in general due to the time-space theme it has going on, I'm not quite sure all of them fit into ancient Sinnoh particularly well. I can personally see the more Japanese-inspired ones like Celesteela (being a bit on-the-nose with the Princess Kaguya inspiration) and Kartana (a living piece of origami) fitting in pretty well, though we'd have to address the issue of lacking Beast Balls first.
I think there's two competing theories - there's what you've said, that the Rock type is a consequence of the fossilization process, but I've also seen it suggested that they were always Rock-type and that this quality made them more preservable and resistant to decay.
I'm fifty-fifty on whether or not the fossil Pokémon started out as Rock-types. Some of the ones with more stone-like features such as the Archen, Cranidos, and Tyrunt evolutionary lines probably were Rock-types back in the day. However, I definitely think that the rest of the fossils only became part Rock-type due to being restored from fossils.

At any rate, on the subject of fossil Pokémon and whether they could be in these games, I've always thought it was odd that the Ruins of Alph have depictions of Omanyte and Aerodactyl even though the ruins only date back to 1,500 years ago. Of course, I'm sure that absolutely nobody at Game Freak thought about this for more than 10 seconds and just wanted some Pokémon that suggested ancient-ness, but hey.
There's also the skeletons in Pewter Museum. They are literally the same as modern Aerodactyl and Kabutops.

Then again, maybe the Ruins of Alph are just based on fossilized bones and shells people saw and assumed that's what they looked like. Or maybe only the dinosaur pokemon were the ones with acient forms and the non-dinosaur Pokemon looked the same and had the same typings.

I mean maybe Mega Aerodactyl was what it originally looked like, but people who found the fossils disregarded the horns or the horns degraded over time.

OMG, i just realized something: In Lets Go, Blue said that he was jealous of Trace or the Protag they had the first ever Pokedexes, because he and Red needed to scribble on a Stone Tablet before. That is most likely a hint towards Legends Arceus, so based on this, we can pinpoint the concept for this game was already there in 2018 and maybe they already started development on it as well in 2018.

So that would basically mean a 4 year development cycle for Legends of Arceus.

OMG, i just realized something: In Lets Go, Blue said that he was jealous of Trace or the Protag they had the first ever Pokedexes, because he and Red needed to scribble on a Stone Tablet before. That is most likely a hint towards Legends Arceus, so based on this, we can pinpoint the concept for this game was already there in 2018 and maybe they already started development on it as well in 2018.

So that would basically mean a 4 year development cycle for Legends of Arceus.
I think that's partly Blue's sarcasm and a jab at the old pokedex sprites being non-discript books.

I mean it's obvious these games have made book pokedexes canon, but they're definitely not stone tablets either.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom