• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

From what I've heard, ILCA's usually a support studio. Granted, the games they've helped out with were pretty big. Dragon Quest 11 (screw Roman Numerals), Yakuza 0, NieR: Automata, etc.

Would a new studio have the necessary skills to add content to the remakes?

I don't think skill is the question so much as authority. But since Masuda is involved, just as he was with GO, I don't think they'd have too much trouble obtaining the necessary authority.

Oh yes, give Darkrai the Deoxys treatment. Expanded storyline and being able to catch it without some stupid event.

I'm totally not biased because Darkrai is one of my favorite pokemon.

I think that if they gave Darkrai the Deoxys treatment they'd have to do the same with Cresselia, because they're sort of counterparts. It is however possible that they will do a Delta Episode thing with Giratina and the Distortion World. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part because I love everything about the Distortion World, hehe.

I think that if they gave Darkrai the Deoxys treatment they'd have to do the same with Cresselia, because they're sort of counterparts. It is however possible that they will do a Delta Episode thing with Giratina and the Distortion World. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part because I love everything about the Distortion World, hehe.
I think you can catch Cresselia without an event anyways, so they would only have to do it for Darkrai.

I think that if they gave Darkrai the Deoxys treatment they'd have to do the same with Cresselia,
Cresselia pretty much already has its own episode to catch it- you have a little side story to get the Lunar Wing and you get a chance to catch it. Only difference is it's roaming instead of being a static encounter.

Cresselia pretty much already has its own episode to catch it- you have a little side story to get the Lunar Wing and you get a chance to catch it. Only difference is it's roaming instead of being a static encounter.

Oh. I remember the Lunar Wing from B2W2 but not from the Gen 4 games. I never got to play any of the events...

After thinking about it a little bit more... I found another issue about the BDSP graphics that makes me feel even more uncomfortable about it.

In the older 2d games, the overworld sprites might have 'looked' like chibis, but there was another intention than just to add space to see everything on the screen: It was to create the illusion of a bird's eye perspective. That is, we are looking from above their heads when we make them move around. The head is the larger feature we see in such perspective, so they designed the head to be bigger in the sprite to reflect this bird's eye illusion in 2 dimensions. That way, they don't necessary feel like they "transformed" into proportioned sprites during battle - They were always the same proportions in the overworld, as we were just seeing them from a foreshortened angle. We never called out the sprites for having derpy proportions as a result.

With 3D graphics, such a 2D illusion can't be created at all. That's because 3-D models by nature don't just require length and width - They must have a distinctive **height** as well. (Groundbreaking analysis, I know! :ROFLMAO:) Because the height proportions of a 3D model are fully exposed to the viewer, we see the 3D chibi's not as forshortened figures that will look more proportioned in the battle scenes, but instead... Well, the 3D models in themselves in the genuine proportions they have.

What makes me uncomfortable about this? The fact that Masuda, the lead of these remakes, are telling us either of these 2 things with such 3D graphics:

1. They were placing bets that with the ultimate drug called 'nostalgia', the games will retain such an illusion of a forshortened overworld upon us, all because it looks incredibly identical to the original 2D games. (An illusion of 3 dimensions in 3D!)

2. This bird's eye illusion thing they sold in sprites to help us forgive the changing character proportions was fake in all games in Gen 1-5 - And now we must look at all those games as the sprite physically shrinking and growing between the overworld and battle scenes! :eek:

Such an art analysis is so meta that my brain is still trying to still make sense of it. Stay tuned for more interpretations. >.>

1614747168382.png

I wonder if TCPI threw sinnoh remakes under the bus because legends is releasing 2-3 months after it? Two big Pokemon games have never released this close to each other, and a full scale Sinnoh remake would have taken the sails out of legends. Fortunately, Sinnoh remakes have topped Let's Go as the most anti-hyped Pokemon reveal, and the fact that Let's Go only sold 12 million despite being Kanto in HD, the first pokemon game in HD, and had no future Pokemon game ahead of it only tells how how badly this game will underperform. This game won't sell more than 8 million lifetime.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom