• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Just look at Gen 5. Prime example of a vindicated game.

It began as early as Ruby/Sapphire. Back when those got announced, reactions were similar to when SwSh got shown.

It's literally been around for years, even if we think it's only something from a couple of years back.

Quite funny really.

They do, a good aethestic matters. Or else games might as well go back to being text based if graphics don't matter. And also not literally spend tons of money and manhours designing and rendering 3D models and landscapes.

Indeed. Video games are a visual medium. Good graphics enhance a game a lot. One way I can think of is making it so much more immersive.

If graphics never mattered, the designs of each Pokemon shouldn't matter either - They could then just make super derpy new Pokemon, and watch everyone debate how bad they look. Yet in the end, we call them 'Pokemon', and make them integral to the series.

*Still sells 10+ million copies* -_-

I'm kind of glad that this remake might have no regional gimmick at all. I was getting tired of the idea that gimmicks were being treated as the future of Pokemon.
Sorry but regional forms have been used in two separate gens now. They are more than a gimmick and all evidences suggest they are here to stay.
Indeed. Video games are a visual medium. Good graphics enhance a game a lot. One way I can think of is making it so much more immersive.
Completely agree. But artstyle isn't the same as graphics. And art style certainly isn't objective. This doesn't look like a 3ds game at all to me. It's easy to make such comments right now (SwSh being N64 game comes to mind) but I'd like to see a 3ds game which actually looks as good.

Now obviously the art style isn't gonna appeal to everyone and they have a lower budget than the Arceus game. But we have seen nothing that suggests this is just a lazy remake. Hold your horses until we get to know more.

Sorry but regional forms have been used in two separate gens now. They are more than a gimmick and all evidences suggest they are here to stay.
I wasn't talking about regional forms, I was talking about Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, and Dynamax (the latter two are 100% not showing up in this remake).

I mean, depending on your tastes BDSP does have a halfway decent aesthetic.

Yeah people either love or hate the aesthetic. It's either "chibi good" or "chibi bad". I think people's reactions to BDSP depend a lot on personal aesthetic taste. I like cuter things, so I like the aesthetic. But it is a bit of a (ok a big) shift from what we've usually seen, so I can get why not everyone is sold on it.

I wasn't talking about regional forms, I was talking about Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, and Dynamax (the latter two are 100% not showing up in this remake).
Ah my bad that. I misunderstood. But remakes don't usually have new gimmicks. They just borrow what was introduced beforehand. I can see Megas returning. Dynamax and Z moves on the other hand are very unlikely.

Ah my bad that. I misunderstood. But remakes don't usually have new gimmicks. They just borrow what was introduced beforehand. I can see Megas returning. Dynamax and Z moves on the other hand are very unlikely.
While I see Megas as a little bit likely, I personally don't want them to come back.

Yeah people either love or hate the aesthetic. It's either "chibi good" or "chibi bad". I think people's reactions to BDSP depend a lot on personal aesthetic taste. I like cuter things, so I like the aesthetic. But it is a bit of a (ok a big) shift from what we've usually seen, so I can get why not everyone is sold on it.
I think its cute but not really my style.

I do think the in battle models are kind of creepy. The eyes look like somebody placed stickers on their faces.

Or, another thing about graphics: What if the Pokemon models, in honor of the originals, weren't 3D, but instead 2D stickers? What if the Pokemon models were downscaled to the same chibi proportions in battle as the overworld? What if they went the low-poly route for these models like in Pokemon Quest/Rumble?

Please: What would they have to do with the Style/Graphics to make you NOT want to play the games? Pokemon isn't a drug - Have standards, people!

There’s a difference between graphics quality and graphic style, btw.
Except no one was making the distinction, just the statement in general that graphics don't matter. Which is a absolutely ridiculous statement in my opinion.

I'm hoping that they take the criticism to heart and improve the models. I enjoy chibi style, but it could be much better here. Better proportions and more detail for starters.

Completely agree. But artstyle isn't the same as graphics. And art style certainly isn't objective. This doesn't look like a 3ds game at all to me. It's easy to make such comments right now (SwSh being N64 game comes to mind) but I'd like to see a 3ds game which actually looks as good.

The talk of Sword/Shield looking like an N64 game was based on the trees in the Wild Area, which did, lets be honest, look like trees from OOT. BUT that wasn't the entire game. And I already knew that the general graphics were way better than N64 graphics when the tree was revealed. The Wild Area graphics were rough, but the graphics otherwise were fine.

With these games, I see absolutely nothing about them, maybe aside from the in-battle graphics (which are still a bit rough around) which look better than a 3DS game. I know it's a slight bit crisper, but even the crispness of this pales in comparison to other similar style Switch games. It looks like this game was developed entirely for the 3DS and then put on the Switch.

Those all sound like terrible ideas. And I'm the guy who defends Gen 6's artstyle.
If you wouldn't forgive if they messed up the Pokemon stylizations, why forgive if they chose to mess up the rest of the graphics in similar manners?

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom