• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Because they... didn't. Plus, even in the sprite games the battle sprites were more detailed than the overworld sprites. It would just be ridiculous to change that.

Except no one was making the distinction, just the statement in general that graphics don't matter. Which is a absolutely ridiculous statement in my opinion.

I'm hoping that they take the criticism to heart and improve the models. I enjoy chibi style, but it could be much better here. Better proportions and more detail for starters.
I’m not sure why you would quote what I said when you could easily have quoted the person who said graphics don’t matter.

Obviously no one was making the distinction which is why I did.

I just wish this game had used XY's/ORAS' chibis. I quite liked them.

Not to say I don't like these ones, the XY/ORAS' ones were cool.

Just look at Gen 5. Prime example of a vindicated game.
It began as early as Ruby/Sapphire. Back when those got announced, reactions were similar to when SwSh got shown.

It's literally been around for years, even if we think it's only something from a couple of years back.

Quite funny really.
z cycle.jpg
All of this talk about the graphics and the "golden age of pokemon" really does remind me of being a Zelda fan in the 2000's. Which is hilarious because everyone is drawing all of these comparisons to Links Awakening and Botw.

The OOT tree's were clearly artistic symbolism.

Real talk though, I could see BDSP becoming the wind waker of pokemon.

All of this talk about the graphics and the "golden age of pokemon" really does remind me of being a Zelda fan in the 2000's. Which is hilarious because everyone is drawing all of these comparisons to Links Awakening and Botw.
I used to believe in the cycle of "new game bad old games good", but then i noticed that it was something completely different. People just move on. The people that were criticizing what was the new game at the time moved on to the newer game, and the people that remain that talk about the previous game are probably the people that liked the game and are still talking about it.

This is why it seems that older games get more love, when they don't really. The group that criticized the game have moved on and the group that liked the game already just became extremely vocal about it.

This is also why it seems Gen 5 got "vindicated" when it didn't. The people that complained about the ice cream pokemon and the trash bag pokemon just moved on and no longer care to criticize them. And the only ones left are the people that already liked Gen 5.

*sigh* This will be a long year... Also, love how not being displeased with the graphics is treated as being a sheep. Sorry for not hating the same things as you! Sorry for not doing the same thing I did back in 2014!

...Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get that out of my chest.
At least give a true analysis of why you like the graphics, rather than just saying, "I like it." Even though I'm not thrilled about the graphics, I thought my reasons of why were pretty thorough and reasonable:

Links to my reasons:
(Part 1)
(Part 2)

Last edited:

So... there's a chance we could get CDI Pokémon games? If Pokémon is going to dabble in every video game genre...

Kidding, kidding.

At least give a true analysis of why you like the graphics, rather than just saying, "I like it." Even though I'm not thrilled about the graphics, I thought my reasons of why were pretty through and reasonable:

Links to my reasons:
(Part 1)
(Part 2)
Respectfully, no one owes you an explanation of anything. People are free to express their like or dislike of something simply. Not everyone is comfortable with long analyses, and that’s ok.

Respectfully, no one owes you an explanation of anything. People are free to express their like or dislike of something simply. Not everyone is comfortable with long analyses, and that’s ok.

Hey... I'm not saying they "owe" me an explanation - but the person complained that people being not displeased about graphics were being treated like sheep. How do you remove the stigma of being a blind follower, much of what the derogatory term "sheep" is given to? Show you have *some* reasoning about why you like/dislike something.

Just saying, "I like it" and just stopping at that isn't very good art critique, good or bad.

Hey... I'm not saying they "owe" me an explanation - but the person complained that people being not displeased about graphics were being treated like sheep. How do you remove the stigma of being a blind follower, much of what the derogatory term "sheep" is given to? Show you have *some* reasoning about why you like/dislike something.

Just saying, "I like it" and just stopping at that isn't very good art critique, good or bad.
Right, I don't believe it's wrong to ask someone for their opinion or reasoning.

There are plenty of other people who have explained their reasoning for why they like the graphic style of the game. Just because someone doesn’t do so does not make it ok to label them as a sheep or maintain that stigma on them.
Right, I don't believe it's wrong to ask someone for their opinion or reasoning.
This isn’t what I said. What I took issue with was the demanding way in which the explanation was requested that made it sound like a requirement to avoid a label. See above post for a better way to ask someone for their thoughts.

Last edited:
That wasn't asking. Asking would be saying "Please tell me why you have that opinion?" or "Why do you have that opinion?" or some other similar sentence with a question mark on the end.
It's up to you to respond, though, not me. If you don't want to reply, that's fine - but it still tells me a lot about about your stance of such topics.

Just because someone doesn’t do so does not make it ok to label them as a sheep or maintain that stigma on them.
How can you say that when you don't know if they refused to answer someone's question?

To me, it's most appropriate to say that when someone asks twice in a row, or, the person replied something like "Sorry, but I don't feel like answering your question." Neither of those happened.

Anyway, you just have to be careful not to make an argument for someone that someone could argue they did not make.

But, if it's just as principles, saying "nobody owes you an explanation" when nobody demanded it, is just as saying "it's okay to ask people for their opinion" when nobody was doing that either.

How can you say that when you don't know if they refused to answer someone's question?

To me, it's most appropriate to say that when someone asks twice in a row, or, the person replied something like "Sorry, but I don't feel like answering your question." Neither of those happened.

Anyway, you just have to be careful not to make an argument for someone that someone could argue they did not make.

But, if it's just as principles, saying "nobody owes you an explanation" when nobody demanded it, is just as saying "it's okay to ask people for their opinion" when nobody was doing that either.
I said it because an explanation was demanded when one wasn’t initially given.

but it still tells me a lot about about your stance of such topics.
Not so. What it tells you is that I didn't answer your post. Who knows why I didn't do it. Maybe I logged off for the day. Maybe I didn't see it because my notifications are clogged. Maybe I'm kind of tired and can't think of a sufficient answer. Maybe I simply don't have an answer period. There could be any number of reasons I, or anyone else, didn't reply.

I said it because an explanation was demanded when one wasn’t initially given.
Yea, I hope you're absolutely sure they were demanding an explanation. They could just as say "I wasn't demanding an explanation, but sorry you interpreted it that way."

I would have waited until the recipient chose to not answer the question, then you know the person refused to answer.

I used to believe in the cycle of "new game bad old games good", but then i noticed that it was something completely different. People just move on. The people that were criticizing what was the new game at the time moved on to the newer game, and the people that remain that talk about the previous game are probably the people that liked the game and are still talking about it.

This is why it seems that older games get more love, when they don't really. The group that criticized the game have moved on and the group that liked the game already just became extremely vocal about it.

This is also why it seems Gen 5 got "vindicated" when it didn't. The people that complained about the ice cream pokemon and the trash bag pokemon just moved on and no longer care to criticize them. And the only ones left are the people that already liked Gen 5.

That's a fair take and there is probably truth to that. But I also think our perception of things changes over time. I used to dislike B/W back when I first played it, but now I do not think it was as bad as I thought it was. I appreciate the games more now. I guess that could constitute as "moving on" though. I think people tend to remember the good more than the bad too.

So... there's a chance we could get CDI Pokémon games? If Pokémon is going to dabble in every video game genre...

Kidding, kidding.

One could only hope we would be blessed with CDI games.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom