• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

QoL Improvements

Reaction score
When looking at the Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl sight, there is a statement on the site that reads as such: "These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes."

It appears as if the Sinnoh remakes will include some QoL improvements that modern Pokemon games have had, though its not exactly stated what these will be. What could this possibly mean? No HM's? EXP share going to all Pokemon? Auto save? Access to the PC outside of Pokemon Centers?

I don't think you are far off about this. And they don't change the core mechanics either (Except for maybe the HM's, but we can do without). Or they can still do the HM's, but having them on hand will be enough to progress.

- No HMs
- Exp. All
- PC Box Link
- Autosave (and I know this isn’t deliberate so much as it’s thanks to hardware improvements, but no more “Saving a lot of data...” ... that alone will make these games 8000 more playable than the originals)
- Type effectiveness displayed in battle
- Unbreakable TMs
- Poffin baking is simplified
- Honey trees no longer suck
- No National Dex, and the Shiny Charm is given for completing the Sinnoh Dex
- I could also see the Poké Radar being reworked and simplified
- Other improvements like the Repel prompt, reusable Escape Rope, being able to move items around in the party screen, and being able to see TM applicability from the bag screen

One thing I'm hoping for are the QoL updates that Sw/Sh brought, like Nature Mints and TRs. While the former will probably be limited to post-game (probably requiring BP to boot), I'm hoping that TRs will return and act alongside reusable TMs. Or maybe, as someone else suggested here in this section of the forums, TRs can be converted into new TMs alongside the current TM list (albeit maybe with some changes like adding Roost, Vacuum Wave or the like) to still offer the possible 200 moves that TRs and TMs offered together in Sw/Sh. That was one of GF's best ideas, especially since TRs are pretty easy to get over the past one-per-file TMs in Gen 4 and lower, allowing you greater customization over your teams and not limiting them to very strict sets. Or they could convert TRs into Move Tutors, as Move Tutors with often appear in remakes/3rd versions (Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, ORAS, and USUM if I'm not mistaken), though I wouldn't be surprised if Move Tutors are implemented they'll be restricted to post-game or Battle Frontier-like locations. If they do decide to make TRs into Move Tutors, it would be a good excuse to bring back the need to hunt for colored shards, since that's how Platinum did it, thus promoting the Underground in the process. Either way I'm hoping for the Nature Mints and TRs to return in some form, as it made customizing your team so much easier.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something. No Running Shoes, please! Let us have the ability to run right away just by pressing the joystick like in Sw/Sh! Don't be super-faithful and force us back to Running Shoes again, please!

Last edited:
Honey Trees.

A cute idea for obtaining certain Pokémon, but getting a Munchlax was such a pain. This is what they need to address with that "more user-friendly" comment, haha.

As a quick recap, in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl & Platinum, not every Honey Tree is capable of yielding Munchlax. Based on the player's Trainer ID and Secret ID, only 4 out of 21 Honey Trees will spawn Munchlax (with chances of a Pokémon appearing at a tree being reset every six hours). Even then, the encounter rate is only 1%.

Given how they handled Feebas in ORAS though, I am confident they will increase the odds of finding one (along with Heracross). Perhaps making a couple of the trees always bear Munchlax, for example.

Oh! and speaking Feebas, make those easier to catch a la ORAS as well.

As a quick recap, in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl & Platinum, not every Honey Tree is capable of yielding Munchlax. Based on the player's Trainer ID and Secret ID, only 4 out of 21 Honey Trees will spawn Munchlax (with chances of a Pokémon appearing at a tree being reset every six hours). Even then, the encounter rate is only 1%.
I played Pearl and Platinum for a combined total of over 1000 hours and i didn't knew that. That is some serious weird shit that i have no clue how someone would come up with it.

I always got a Munchlax by breeding two Snorlax anyway.

I'm hoping the PC Box has more conveniences (like auto-sort). They made slight updates to the PC Box in ORAS through Lanette arranging the Move Pokemon to the top. A simple option, but it seriously helped a lot.

One thing I just remembered is now we'll (hopefully) have virtually instant save time instead of the looooong wait we had back in Gen 4. No longer will we be plagued by a long save time just for using the PC and such. At least I hope that'll be the case. If so, it'll be such a breath of fresh air.

One thing I just remembered is now we'll (hopefully) have virtually instant save time instead of the looooong wait we had back in Gen 4. No longer will we be plagued by a long save time just for using the PC and such. At least I hope that'll be the case. If so, it'll be such a breath of fresh air.
I highly doubt long save times and HP scrolling downward was an intentional design choice, though the latter was an issue in all Gen 4 games.

I’m hoping they’ll remove HMs as well, but considering it’s faithful, I doubt it. But they did remove it in Let’s Go, which was supposed to be a faithful remake of Yellow, so there is a slither of hope.

Hopefully the Poke Radar will be simplified instead of requiring an IQ of 160 to operate. I assume that most of the other basic changes in modern games will be added to these remakes. It's funny though because they said these would be faithful remakes while also saying that they'll change things for convenience purposes.

Oprah Winfrey So What Is The Truth GIF - OprahWinfrey SoWhatIsTheTruth What  - Discover & Share GIFs

Hopefully the Poke Radar will be simplified instead of requiring an IQ of 160 to operate. I assume that most of the other basic changes in modern games will be added to these remakes. It's funny though because they said these would be faithful remakes while also saying that they'll change things for convenience purposes.

Oprah Winfrey So What Is The Truth GIF - OprahWinfrey SoWhatIsTheTruth What  - Discover & Share GIFs
I think they mean faithful remake in terms of the story of the games.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom