• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but you actually can play Switch games in black and white (and inverted colours, if you so desire). On your Switch, go to Settings > System > Change Display Colors.
Hmm...
*Does so*
Man, inverted colors makes things look terrofying.
I kind of want to do that now.
You know, if we do end up getting the Distortion World in some manner for BDSP, I think it would be pretty neat if it automatically inverted the colors of the original environment of Platinum’s Distortion World since the Switch apparently has that capability.

Most people fail to realize how thin the Pokemon Company were run pre Pokemon Go. The reason they dumped 4 kids, and removed most japanese licencing music was because they actually could not afford it.

View attachment 140624
View attachment 140627
Look at the dramatic increase in Profits as soon as Pokemon Go were released.
That graph doesn’t go back to 2010.

You know, if we do end up getting the Distortion World in some manner for BDSP, I think it would be pretty neat if it automatically inverted the colors of the original environment of Platinum’s Distortion World since the Switch apparently has that capability.
It looks less scary with inverted colours imo.
1614885482109.png

I like how the new English logos use the same font as the original logos.
brilliant-diamond-shining-pearl.jpg

Diamond_logo.png
Pearl_logo.png

The promotional artwork is a nice homage to the Diamond and Pearl sprites, as well. The poses are all exactly the same, the only difference being that Dialga and Turtwig are flipped so that they're facing the other way.
Screenshot (46).png
Screenshot (45).png
EvKb7HYXMAMuFBs.jpg
Screenshot (44).png
Screenshot (47).png
Screenshot (48).png

Last edited:
I don't like how everything is TOO similar to the original DP, logos, artwork, map, proportions, even the names don't say much. Give me the bad impression that there'll be little to no new stuff.

Is it a new way to somewhat port an old game into the new console?

That graph doesn’t go back to 2010.

TCPI profits were not made availble until the last few years and look at the dramatic rise (post pokemon go) and look at its consistency (pre pokemon go). You can't honestly expect a company that shielded its profits only to then make it availble when Pokemon Go hit to somehow be earning more back then. It's completely impossible, and considering you don't have any evidence to suggest otherwise, maybe take these profits for what they are.

Last edited:
Nevertheless, to suggest that the mainline Pokemon series for full retail price go back to sprites? No, just no. As I said, the style only existed because the hardware was too limited to actually make games any other way. It makes no sense to hold to the style of limited hardware when the hardware is so much more advanced and now the true vision of a Pokemon region can be brought out with it.

Yes :) I was trying to describe something of an on-purpose retro throwback game similar to Sonic Mania! There are certain aspects of Pokemon as a game that did come through just as clearly if not a bit more lucidly with static sprites in battle with symbolic move animations; as well as the overworld having a Zen-like simplicity to it. The region itself could be a lot larger, or more changeable than possible with the gameboy engine!

TCPI profits were not made availble until the last few years and look at the dramatic rise (post pokemon go) and look at its consistency (pre pokemon go). You can't honestly expect a company that shielded its profits only to then make it availble when Pokemon Go hit to somehow be earning more back then. It's completely impossible, and considering you don't have any evidence to suggest otherwise, maybe take these profits for what they are.
How can you make claims and assertions regarding 2010 without any data from 2010? At best what you’re doing is making an assumption. I never said they were earning more. You said:
Johtoo said:
Back in 2010, the Pokemon company were barely making profits and was more considerate of their fanbase, because they needed them.
Which you have no evidence or proof of and thus the basis of your point is completely fallacious. I don’t have any evidence to suggest otherwise, but I’m not the one making claims here lol.

Looking at how conservative the overworld models and environments are, I wish they went for a more... "experimental" approach to the art style of the game. To me, BDSP's art style look generic, for Pokémon at least. Not in terms of the actual models but the textures, lighting, etc.--the skin of the game, so to speak. The graphics, excluding models, look pretty similar to the graphics of the gen 6-7 games in my opinion, just more polished and less polygonal, and LGPE, just less polished in comparison.
iu
iu

iu
PokemonLetsGoPikachuEevee_Review_07-600x338.jpg
It's sort of this pseudo-realistic style, if I could give a name to it.

To give an example of what I'd consider "experimental," look at Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX. While the other 3D PMD games appear pretty similar to the 3D core games in my opinion, DX looks more like a watercolor storybook.
iu
iu
iu
The art style of DX not only elevates the game--the other 3D PMDs definitely look like side games, if you catch my drift--they were also refreshing considering it's rather different than how you normally see the Pokémon world.

While generic graphics aren't necessarily a bad thing, I just feel that a unique or different art style would help make up for the overall conservative approach to the overworld visuals of the game. In my personal opinion, I feel that we don't get to see the Pokémon world in many different art styles. Even spin-offs like PMD, Detective Pikachu, or New Pokémon Snap! tend to emulate the aforementioned pseudo-realistic style and, while it's not identical to the core series it's still fairly similar in my view. A new art style, such as claymation for example, would compensate for the conservative models by giving a new visual experience in my opinion.

Last edited:
Wow, DXes artstyle is actually really beautiful. If I didn't hate Mystery Dungeon I'd totally buy it just for that.

Looks like a cheap mobile knock off. I can't believe this actually passed quality control. Can anyone explain to me how ORAS had a 3d perspective change while Diamond and Pearl on the Switch remains top down, chibi and looking awful?
its a faithful remake, and this is the most faithful a game can get. and remember, the game isn't finished yet. and, best of all, remember, CHIBI CYNTHIA.

Wow, DXes artstyle is actually really beautiful. If I didn't hate Mystery Dungeon I'd totally buy it just for that.

I made this mistake. I thought maybe, maybe this time it'll work for me... it didn't.

Pretty much. Doesn't help that there's literally no move animation. I find turn based games boring enough already (Pokemon being the obvious exception) why would you make it worse by removing any visual stimulus.
Newer Mystery Dungeon games have better attack visuals than the original ones did. But hey, I can understand that not every game is for everyone. I don't play Mystery Dungeon either, but I still enjoy watching others playing it and experiencing the story through them.

Okay, my opinion:

- I'm on the minority that thinks that chibi gen 6 style is very good and should have stayed like that, so the artstyle is okay imo. But I still wish wasn't like,,, super square-ish and the textures were a bit better.
- It seems like they didn't wanted to change a lot in fear of the fandom getting angry, so I can sorta of see how it's more of a ''remaster'' then a ''remake'' like HGSS and ORAS were.
- I actually really like the colors and how everything doesn't looks dead like in SwSh.
- Barry looks a bit... weird
- This game doesn't looks that bad imo
- I'm still hoping that ''keeping true to the orignals'' doesn't equals ''don't fix the mistakes of DPPt'' like the way HGSS didn't fixed GSC's problems tho.
BATTLE FACTORY. that concludes my ted talk

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom