• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia I would like to have a discussion regarding the Bulbapedia anime numbering system

Ricbolog

Reaction score
If this interests you, thanks for your attention. I Would like to share with you my views regarding the way the Pokémon anime is currently numbered on Bulbapedia and the way it could hypothetically be (I understeand the pratical dificulties, so for now this is pure speculation). I appreciate the "epicode system", so I will not discuss this. Every website that tries to number the series seems to have a different idea about what should count as an actual episode (Bulbapedia, Wikipedia, Serebii, etc.). Back then I considered Bulbapedia system to be the best, but time after time I began to see some flaws within it (The way "Holiday Hi Jynx" and "Snow way out", the XY mega-evolution specials, the XY episode "Going fo the gold!" are treated, for example, and the fact that this affects the whole numbering). At the end I concluded that the best numbering system would be one that centers around the fact that SM049 should be considered as the 1000th episode, as TPC in Japan considered it. This would mean that:
- The original series has 276 episodes (and not 274) and the XY series has 146 episodes (and not 140)
- That the DP, BW and XY (including the mega-evolution) specials would have regular epicodes (for example DS01 - DP192; DS02 - DP193)
- That XY001 is EP806, SM001 is EP952, JN001 is EP1098.
There would be other things to discuss, but this is just the premise and this is also just my opinion, so feel free to discuss it, as I would like to hear yours.

Last edited:
I completely agree and this has my whole hearted endorsement. I think it is important to have consistency. I think Bulbapedia is the BEST Pokemon Wiki out there (I'll even say it's much better than Serebii) but it needs a bit tweaking (I've been thinking of joining the Editing Staff recently). I was also watching Old Episodes the Official Pokemon Japanese Channel had been posting. And if you look at the bottom left part of the thumbnail they posted the Number of the Episode as well. Here is an example here of the Episode where Charizard is left behind in the Charicific Valley. It is posted as "Episode 136" where on Bulbapedia it is listed as EP134. That is a problem. We should be following the Accurate Numbers. Exactly, What the Anime Makers themselves think. 1614977658858.png

Last edited:
I completely agree and this has my whole hearted endorsement. I think it is important to have consistency. I think Bulbapedia is the BEST Pokemon Wiki out there (I'll even say it's much better than Serebii) but it needs a bit tweaking (I've been thinking of joining the Editing Staff recently). I was also watching Old Episodes the Official Pokemon Japanese Channel had been posting. Andif you look at the bottom left part of the thumbnail they posted the Number of the Episode as well. Here is an example here of the Episode where Charizard is left behind in the Charicific Valley. It is posted as "Episode 136" where on Bulbapedia it is listed as EP134. That is a problem. We should be following the Accurate Numbers. Exactly, What the Anime Makers themselves think.View attachment 140749
That's nice to hear. I also think consistency is important. I would like to hear someone else's opinion too.

Not going to happen. There's simply too much work to do, the current numbering system is being used extensively across the wiki and is not something that can just be changed so easily.

Not going to happen. There's simply too much work to do, the current numbering system is being used extensively across the wiki and is not something that can just be changed so easily.
That's why I said it was pure speculation

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom