• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Frontier

Though if there is a Battle Tower/Frontier, it definitely should work like SwSh’s, with the whole ranking system thing.
I’d be fine with that as long as the amount of BP earned per battle gets scaled to your rank rather than the static 2BP yield in SwSh no matter what. At the very minimum we should have an approximate 4BP yield per match after finally achieving Master Rank.

Don't see it return and frankly I don't want it to return either. Or well, I would want it back so people who want it back can stop complaining but I personally don't need it.

I would want the characters from the Battle Frontier repurposed but that's a fleeting dream. (Cause they did name Lucy in ORAS but did otherwise nothing with it and I think it'd be changing too much to be on the more faithful remake side. Other than Palmer since, well, he's Barry's dead and he owns a Cresselia so you could do something with the Darkrai stuff.)

Yeah at best I'd want to see Dahlia and the others make cameos of some sort but I'm not holding my breath for that. Palmer's the only one I could see showing up and only because he was in the original Diamond and Pearl.

I think it's very unlikely the Battle Frontier will be in these games. But I think we will see the original Battle Tower, led by Palmer.

I've never been a fan of battle facilities, so the absence of the Battle Frontier in ORAS didnt faze me in the slightest. I'd like to see it return for the people who enjoy it, but it's not my cup of tea personally. I'm more interested in the Distortion World, although I'll be fine with that being missing if we get it in Legends: Arceus instead.

The one battle facility I like is the Battle Factory, but these remakes are barely going to have any forms not in Platinum, so I don't see the big deal for people that have access to Platinum or HGSS. The real question is whether or not these remakes are going to add enough new features to justify the price tag, which I very much doubt.

On a less doom-and-gloom note, we aren’t even sure ILCA will be able to program a rudimentary Battle Facility. That’s actually a more realistic reason for the Battle Tower’s potential exclusion than anything I’ve said prior. At the very most, I don’t expect it to work like previous Battle Towers should we get it in BDSP at all.
For the Battle Tower? They could just copy and paste the DP movesets if they're that lazy. They still hold up.

Last edited:
What exactly is so great about Battle Frontier that has everyone demanding it?
At least for me and a few others, the appeal of the Battle Frontier is the twists the different facilities offer on battling compared to what we normally get. It’s a different kind of challenge from the vanilla formats of the standard Battle Tower clone, offering things that don’t find elsewhere in the main game. The online battle competitions might have been meant to replace them, but the majority of what they offer are just roster limitations, so they don’t really have the same kind of unique ‘wow’ factor.

What exactly is so great about Battle Frontier that has everyone demanding it?
It's something fun and challenging to do. Beating Brandon in Emerald remains my single favourite memory from the games, and there simply isn't anything remotely the same now; the post-game stuff is mostly a breeze, and multiplayer is way too much of a time investment; while with the frontier the different symbols is a goal to aim for instead of just trying to get higher streaks in the tower or it's equivalents.
I suppose restricted sparring is the closest we get but it's not that hard and I find monotype types dull to make.

It's something fun and challenging to do. Beating Brandon in Emerald remains my single favourite memory from the games, and there simply isn't anything remotely the same now; the post-game stuff is mostly a breeze, and multiplayer is way too much of a time investment; while with the frontier the different symbols is a goal to aim for instead of just trying to get higher streaks in the tower or it's equivalents.
I suppose restricted sparring is the closest we get but it's not that hard and I find monotype types dull to make.
I agree the BF was a lot of fun (in emerald anyway never really liked platinums)

That said the rng was bs at times, like the game knew what to bring to beat my team.

It would be kind of neat since I remember actually liking the Sinnoh Battle Frontier. The Battle Frontier in Emerald had a better visual layout for its areas and most of the Frontier Brains had better designs, but it was too difficult for me. I think I only got three or at most four medals while I got all of the easier medals in Platinum. That being said, I highly doubt that it's coming back. It was disappointing to not have it featured in OR/AS, but I think that I'm okay with them not bringing the Battle Frontier back at this point. I would kind of want to see what else they could do for a post-storyline mode instead.

Given the "faithful" remakes claim and that Masuda is co-directing with his stupid mindset on modern kids being too dumb and mobile gaming being as if it's superior to console gaming, I don't expect it happening. Only the Battle Tower at best, like in the original D/P.

Given the "faithful" remakes claim and that Masuda is co-directing with his stupid mindset on modern kids being too dumb and mobile gaming being as if it's superior to console gaming, I don't expect it happening. Only the Battle Tower at best, like in the original D/P.
I don't even expect the standard Battle Tower tbh. SwSh's Battle Tower was very stripped down, so the next logical leap for Nomura to double-down on his philosophy would be to expect no battle facility at all. :(

I don't even expect the standard Battle Tower tbh. SwSh's Battle Tower was very stripped down, so the next logical leap for Nomura to double-down on his philosophy would be to expect no battle facility at all. :(
I think this is a bit over pessimistic. We can at least expect the original Battle Tower.

I think this is a bit over pessimistic. We can at least expect the original Battle Tower.
The reason I don't expect the Battle Tower is more than just pessimism on my part. It's more of a result of the fact that ORAS didn't even try to give us a Battle Tower; we got a blatant copy-paste of the Battle Maison instead. Because of Dexit, TPCi can't exactly get away with that anymore. And don't get me started on how the previous remake, LGPE, opted to not have any battle facility whatsoever (though LGPE is a unique case due to its deliberate casualization).

What's more, BDSP are being made from the ground up by a studio that's never handled remakes before, let alone a full-fledged title (ILCA is mostly a support studio focused on graphics). Due to this, there's a possibility that ILCA might not be able to reconstruct DP's Battle Tower since they might not be aware of how it operates. Would Masuda even let them use or get a peak at DP's code to get an idea of what they're supposed to be doing? Probably not; companies usually want to keep their coding to themselves.

The reason I don't expect the Battle Tower is more than just pessimism on my part. It's more of a result of the fact that ORAS didn't even try to give us a Battle Tower; we got a blatant copy-paste of the Battle Maison instead. Because of Dexit, TPCi can't exactly get away with that anymore. And don't get me started on how the previous remake, LGPE, opted to not have any battle facility whatsoever (though LGPE is a unique case due to its deliberate casualization).

What's more, BDSP are being made from the ground up by a studio that's never handled remakes before, let alone a full-fledged title (ILCA is mostly a support studio focused on graphics). Due to this, there's a possibility that ILCA might not be able to reconstruct DP's Battle Tower since they might not be aware of how it operates. Would Masuda even let them use or get a peak at DP's code to get an idea of what they're supposed to be doing? Probably not; companies usually want to keep their coding to themselves.
I think the logic that “there’s nothing to copy/paste therefore it isn’t happening” is shaky at best especially considering that BDSP as a whole already isn’t a “copy/paste” of anything.

You pointed out that LGPE isn’t a good example already. It’s not a remake of FRLG, it’s a remake of Yellow.

The rest of your argument is predicated on ILCA being poor or at least not very capable developers which isn’t true. They have an extensive repertoire of games they have worked on including Pokémon Home. I also have no idea why Masuda wouldn’t help them understand how the Battle Tower works. What would even be the point of having him on the team if he can’t help with adapting mechanics? Not that they’d even have to necessarily look at DP’s code, but what sense would it make to say “here, develop a game for us that has to be perfect and true to the originals, but also we refuse to help you”?

Last edited:
I think the logic that “there’s nothing to copy/paste therefore it isn’t happening” is shaky at best especially considering that BDSP as a whole already isn’t a “copy/paste” of anything.

You pointed out that LGPE isn’t a good example already. It’s not a remake of FRLG, it’s a remake of Yellow.

The rest of your argument is predicated on ILCA being poor or at least not very capable developers which isn’t true. They have an extensive repertoire of games they have worked on including Pokémon Home. I also have no idea why Masuda wouldn’t help them understand how the Battle Tower works. What would even be the point of having him on the team if he can’t help with adapting mechanics? Not that they’d even have to necessarily looking at DP’s code, but what sense would it make to say “here, develop a game for us that has to be perfect and true to the originals, but also we refuse to help you”?
Yeah, that does seem kind of dumb looking back on all of that. I guess I'm just keeping my expectations low so that I can be surprised down the road.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom