• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Hop was basically an amalgamation of pretty much every other 'friendly' rival that we've had since Gen 3 imo.

I don't hate him but he reminds me of those 'original' characters that people invent for their fan fics that are so blatantly just mixtures of two or more already established characters from various franchises. There's a specific word for that but I can't remember it right now. :p

The interesting thing about SwSh is that the most important stories there doesn't seem to be you going through the Gym Challenge or Rose probably having some sort of problem where he wants to fix everyone else's problems (wow that's making it seem way deeper than it actually is) are the stories that happen in the background. Hop's story in particular is very important and gets a lot of focus and if this was a TV Show we'd actually get to see that story play out. Wow, I think I just figured out why SwSh's story isn't considered good, it's not made for a Video Game format.

I slightly disagree with this. The story is about you going through the gym challenge. In facts that why characters like Leon and Sonia keep on insisting that you focus on the gym challenge and not worry about other going ons. So your story is really about getting through the gym challenge and to beat Leon.

The issue with the story is that the player is such a blank slate that the don't stand out compared to other characters who have better reasons to go on the gym challenge. Bede was trying to prove that Rose's faith in him wasn't misplaced, Hop was trying to get out of Leon's shadow, and Marnie wanted to bring attention to Spikemuth. Even other characters like Avery, Peony, Raihan, Gordie, Leon and Klara had more interesting motivations than the player to try to aim for the title, or in Leon's case get dethroned so he can have someone as a goal/do other things to make Galar's trainers stronger.

I feel like SwSh was a game that would've really benefitted from allowing more interesting dialogue choices and more story weight to losses. Like say after every gym battle you could be asked questions from tv reporters and the choices you say impact the later game. Like it could be something as simple as asking what your favorite color is (let's say blue) and when you go to fight Leon that final time all of the people cheering for you are wearing blue. Or like if you had the option to make up a story as to why you're on the gym challenge (like dialogue options like "helping my family", "i just want to be the best") that NPCs could comment on that as you progress.

Also I'm surprised losses didn't stick in SwSh except for the first two Hop battle and the first Peony battle (and by that I mean if you lose the story progresses). I know it would be impossible to say kick you out of the gym challenge because you lose to Kabu, but like perhaps something where if you lost to any of the gym leaders before the challengers cup, there are dialogue changes. Like the commentator in the cup doubts you'll be able to beat Leon. Or let's say if you lost to Raihan in the gym challenge, his dialogue changes as the final competitor changes to where he doubts you'll be able to beat his team now. Little things like that can spice up a playthrough especially with how so many people are doing monotype and nuzlockes, the potential for you to see varying dialogue could be immense

I saw talk of Hop being a good rival here.

I have to say I support his movement.

Hop is the best rival in this franchise, period. In terms of story arc, at least.

Walk on, you absolute king.

In this house we respect our king Hop.
Darn it the house emoji didn't show.

For what it's worth, I think Bede is a jerk rival done right.

He's an a-hole (so it's fun to beat him) but we actually delve into his character and why he does the things he does - he's not a one dimensional character like Silver or (Gen I) Blue.

For what it's worth, I think Bede is a jerk rival done right.

He's an a-hole (so it's fun to beat him) but we actually delve into his character and why he does the things he does - he's not a one dimensional character like Silver or (Gen I) Blue.
I agree with this, but at the same time I feel like a lot more could have been done with him. Like, there's clearly a lot of baggage regarding Bede's relationship with Chairman Rose that never really gets a satisfying resolution. I mean, Rose is the one who gave Bede his endorsement and he's also all but stated to be Bede's adoptive father. Bede also clearly idolizes Rose despite the fact that Rose has trouble even remembering his name and even used the kid as a scapegoat to cover up his schemes, and yet Bede never actually gets to find any of this out nor does he get to participate in the Darkest Day, which would have provided the perfect opportunity for a confrontation between Bede and Rose. Maybe have Bede join the player in the battle against Rose where it's a Double/Tag-Team match or something.

I dunno, I just think Bede was done kinda dirty plotwise, especially compared to Hop and Marnie, whose character arcs feel like they got more proper closure.

I'm pretty sure these have been said before, but...

1. I don't mind the speed in DP. I played Diamond and enjoyed it just fine. If anything I got more frustrated playing FRLG than DP, I don't know why but these feel painfully slow to me.

2. I don't like Red. It's not the character himself but rather how he's the only one player character that's, well, his own character besides just being the protagonist for one set of games and disappearing completely afterwards. They should make the other protagonists recurring characters, or at least choose one of the protagonists from each set of games to make in their own character. Though I feel like if they did that they'd likely screw over the girl protagonists...

3. I never took Team Galactic seriously. Not even Cyrus. And that's why I like them. With the silly uniforms and Cyrus's edgy anime monologues I just saw them as a bunch of clowns until Pastoria City when we learn they have bombs. And even that I only took half seriously because chasing that Grunt was really funny. I honestly like these kinds of comic relief villains that are hard to take seriously until they do something really bad way more than obviously evil villains like Team Rocket. I think the comic relief villains have way more potential to do something horribly screwed up because no one takes them seriously until they do, meanwhile with obviously evil bad guys everyone sees them as a threat since day one.

4. Maybe it's because I hate grinding, hatching Egg after Egg, etc, but I like battle facilities with rental Pokémon more than the ones where you have to use your own. It gives you the chance to use Pokémon you'd never have considered using before, plus it's more fun to improvise with what you have than to spam the same moves you've spammed the whole game.

5. I don't really care about the Battle Frontier. The only facility I care about is the Battle Factory because it's the only one I had fun in.

6. I like objectmons a lot. They aren't "bad designs". If there's one thing that I love about Pokémon is that there's a Pokémon for everyone. They appeal to all sorts of tastes. Sometimes it feels like if we let the fandom choose the Pokédex would just be spiky dragons and spiky furries with the occasional cute or waifu bait one, but there definitely are fans who like other kinds of Pokémon and I appreciate that GF never lets us down, giving us a wide variety of designs every gen. People should really stop calling designs they don't like bad. They just don't appeal to your tastes, that is all. I remember the whole controversy with BW and people are to this day saying it's the worst Pokédex ever, and it saddens me because it's probably my favourite Pokédex. This fandom has a problem with being overly harsh against everything they don't like in general, treating their opinion as fact and fans that have other opinions as sheeple with bad taste.

7. There's no objective best or worst region or game. The games I enjoyed the most were the DS era ones, but I don't think they're objectively the very best. Everyone has their own reasons to play Pokémon and they enjoy the games based on what is it that they like about the franchise and in general. A game that for me might be the best is the very worst for someone else, because they don't enjoy the same things as I do. We should celebrate these differences instead of getting into slap fights about what game is the best and talking smack about the games other people like. I'm tired of these "lol Sinnoh boring" memes.

8. I don't like jerk rivals and don't understand the fandom's general infatuation with them. I never really cared much about Blue, he just seemed boring to me. With Silver I hated how rude he was, but I didn't look forward to beating him because he'd just call me weak despite the fact I always beat him without much effort. I only started liking him when he became less of a jerk. I like friendly rivals much better, though I wish they were more challenging.

9. Mega-Charizard Y should be the only Mega-Charizard. It'd be fair to the other Kanto starters and Y looks way more like an enhanced Charizard than X, just like the other Kanto starter Megas look like enhanced versions of their base forms. X looks like a DeviantArt recolour and it trivialises (for lack of a better word) Shiny Charizard by using black as its main colour. Mewtwo should have only one Mega as well. It's just unfair to the other Pokémon with Mega-Evolutions that these two have their own super special second Mega that looks like something you'd find in a FireRed ROM hack. If you're gonna give these two one more Mega than other Pokémon capable of Mega-Evolution, give these other ones two Megas as well. What if all Starters and Legendaries capable of Mega-Evolving got two Megas? It'd be a little more fair than what we have now.

Last edited:
I don't think Sword and Shield are bad games. Sure they have their graphical faults and the plot could've been constructed better, but they also offered a lot of great stuff too, like great rivals, a memorable Champion, and the first truly open world area in a Pokémon game, which is seemed to have paved the way for Legends.

3. I never took Team Galactic seriously. Not even Cyrus. And that's why I like them. With the silly uniforms and Cyrus's edgy anime monologues I just saw them as a bunch of clowns until Pastoria City when we learn they have bombs. And even that I only took half seriously because chasing that Grunt was really funny. I honestly like these kinds of comic relief villains that are hard to take seriously until they do something really bad way more than obviously evil villains like Team Rocket. I think the comic relief villains have way more potential to do something horribly screwed up because no one takes them seriously until they do, meanwhile with obviously evil bad guys everyone sees them as a threat since day one.

I see Team Galactic as a bunch of e-boys. And I really like the point you make with them being comic villains until they do something that needs to be taken seriously.

6. I like objectmons a lot. They aren't "bad designs". If there's one thing that I love about Pokémon is that there's a Pokémon for everyone. They appeal to all sorts of tastes. Sometimes it feels like if we let the fandom choose the Pokédex would just be spiky dragons and spiky furries with the occasional cute or waifu bait one, but there definitely are fans who like other kinds of Pokémon and I appreciate that GF never lets us down, giving us a wide variety of designs every gen. People should really stop calling designs they don't like bad. They just don't appeal to your tastes, that is all. I remember the whole controversy with BW and people are to this day saying it's the worst Pokédex ever, and it saddens me because it's probably my favourite Pokédex. This fandom has a problem with being overly harsh against everything they don't like in general, treating their opinion as fact and fans that have other opinions as sheeple with bad taste.

The last point about the fandom treating opinion as fact is so true. I also really like object based Pokémon. I don't know why, I think it's just neat to take a common object and turn it into a friendly little fellow.

7. There's no objective best or worst region or game. The games I enjoyed the most were the DS era ones, but I don't think they're objectively the very best. Everyone has their own reasons to play Pokémon and they enjoy the games based on what is it that they like about the franchise and in general. A game that for me might be the best is the very worst for someone else, because they don't enjoy the same things as I do. We should celebrate these differences instead of getting into slap fights about what game is the best and talking smack about the games other people like. I'm tired of these "lol Sinnoh boring" memes.

My favorite games are the Gen 6 games, but there are parts of every generation that I like and dislike. There is no objectively good or bad game, because "good" and "bad" are purely based on the individual's personal preference, and "objectively" means "in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions." In other words, I hate it when people throw around phrases like "these games are objectively good/bad", because something can't be objectively good/bad.
Sinnoh may not be my favorite region, but there are so many parts of it that I love.

Don't know if this is controversial, but the open world aspect of Sword and Shield was terrible, the Wild Areas were just big, empty voids of nothing. They literally just made these big, grassy fields, littered them with pokemon and call it day. Sure, you have stuff like these spots where you can collect currency for TRs, but next to nothing to do but battle and catch pokemon outside of that.

Here's the thing with open world design: a lot of people don't like it because it's big. A lot of people like open worlds because you can do content in every order you wish and there's stuff to do in every corner. This is the aspect that i'm worried the most about the Arceus game, i'm just seeing these empty fields of nothing but pokemon to catch. I'm hoping they learn that open worlds aren't just big for the sake of big, and a lot of people like open worlds because of the wealth of meaningful content they can have. And not run around in an empty field doing nothing.

Last edited:
You know, the only “Open World” game I’ve ever played where the world truly felt “open” was Minecraft. Which is probably because of the infinite terrain generation but still.

Don't know if this is controversial, but the open world aspect of Sword and Shield was terrible, the Wild Areas were just big, empty voids of nothing. They literally just made these big, grassy fields, littered them with pokemon and call it day. Sure, you have stuff like these spots where you can collect currency for TRs, but next to nothing to do but battle and catch pokemon outside of that.

Here's the thing with open world design: a lot of people don't like it because it's big. A lot of people like open worlds because you can do content in every order you wish and there's stuff to do in every corner. This is the aspect that i'm worried the most about the Arceus game, i'm just seeing these empty fields of nothing but pokemon to catch. I'm hoping they learn that open worlds aren't just big for the sake of big, and a lot of people like open worlds because of the wealth of meaningful content they can have. And not run around in an empty field doing nothing.

Ever since I saw someone describe the Wild Area as a glorified Safari Zone my life hasn't been the same

After finally getting to play Zelda: BotW, and finishing a tedious 100% run on it (Yes, all 900 korok seeds! ;_; ), Given how annoyed I got playing a supposed 'good' open world game, I'm scared of what an underdeveloped one in Pokemon could look like.

I don't know why, I think it's just neat to take a common object and turn it into a friendly little fellow.
I admit that I generally prefer the more "mainstream" Pokemon designs based on animals or mythical creatures, but even I think objectmons are ridiculously overhated. Like, even if those designs aren't usually my thing, I honestly don't get why so many fans treat having objectmons as some kind of horrible sin; monster is an incredibly broad term after all, so a franchise that's literally all about monster designs having some of its creatures turn out to be living inanimate objects feels completely logical to me. Another big pet peeve I have regarding the criticism that objectmons get is that so many people accuse them of being conceptually uncreative. Y'know, because fire-breathing dragons and dogs that walk on their hind limbs are totally innovative new concepts that mankind hasn't been using for centuries :/

Me personally, i actually prefer some objectmons designs over a lot of pokemon based on mythical creatures and animals. So yeah, i never got the hate for pokemon based on objects, and In fact, a lot of my least favorite pokemon are the ones based on animals and not the ones based on objects.

That reminds me, there's a series of YouTube videos talking about the designs of each generation of Pokémon, and he pointed out that most of the Gen 3 object Pokémon (eg: Shuppet, Chimecho) don't really look like objects.

Back
Top Bottom