• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

After finally getting to play Zelda: BotW, and finishing a tedious 100% run on it (Yes, all 900 korok seeds! ;_; ), Given how annoyed I got playing a supposed 'good' open world game, I'm scared of what an underdeveloped one in Pokemon could look like.

To be fair Nintendo was trying to make people avoid doing 100% runs. You only need 441 seed to get everything useful you can get with them and the only thing you get with all 900 of them is ... literal crap.

Their design goal there was more "you have a lot of options to get all the stuff, so there's no need to keep trying for one you think it's very annoying" than "welp, gotta collect them all".

So, if that was your only / main issue with BotW, I don't think you have to worry about it, because I really really really doubt GameFreak will follow this design philosophy.

I must admit I do worry a bit about performance issues and the possibility of Sinnoh being a vast wasteland with nothing of interest besides the occasional town or Pokémon cluster - realistic in a way, but doesn't really make for great entertainment.

As bad as the Rotom Dex was, I think it had a lot of potential and I'm sad they didn't try to build on that in SwSh. I mean, what's the point of the Rotom Phone. It does literally nothing a normal phone doesn't do. Is it actually just a phone that looks like a Rotom? That can't be right because the Anime shows Ash and Goh putting Rotoms into their phones.

For many generations now, Game Freak has tested out new mechanics in Pokémon games before fully implementing them in later ones. For example:
  • Generation III: Wireless Adapter -> Generation IV: WiFi and GTS
  • Generation VI: Rideable Pokémon in certain areas -> Generation VII: Ride Pokémon
  • Generation VI: Soaring replaces Fly -> Generation VII: Ride Pokémon replace all HMs
I believe Wild Area could've been a similar test for Legends.

For many generations now, Game Freak has tested out new mechanics in Pokémon games before fully implementing them in later ones. For example:
  • Generation III: Wireless Adapter -> Generation IV: WiFi and GTS
  • Generation VI: Rideable Pokémon in certain areas -> Generation VII: Ride Pokémon
  • Generation VI: Soaring replaces Fly -> Generation VII: Ride Pokémon replace all HMs
I believe Wild Area could've been a similar test for Legends.
I guessed pretty early on that the Wild Area was a test area; I was expecting gen 9 rather than a spinoff though.

The pokemon Colosseum games are nowhere as good as people claim they are, and they do not look better than Sword and Shield (i can be nice to this game too). I'm making this opinion with the fact that i really like the Colosseum games, but a lot of people seem to have hard nostalgia goggles for these games by claiming they look better than recent games and have better pokemon models (in some instances they do, in many others they don't).

These games are insanely grindy and slow, the story is banal and boring, and most of the characters are completely forgettable. People thinking Genius Sonority would by defauly make a better pokemon game than Gamefreak is something i heavily disagree given how flawed the Colosseum games are. They are not some gold standard that anyone should achieve, if anything they should be a blueprint for a much better game.

I wouldn't mind another Colosseum style game though, given that there's potential for a pokemon game with the same mechanics of the main series, but not restricted by the same formula of fighting eight gym leaders, beating the champion, and catching every pokemon.

The pokemon Colosseum games are nowhere as good as people claim they are, and they do not look better than Sword and Shield (i can be nice to this game too). I'm making this opinion with the fact that i really like the Colosseum games, but a lot of people seem to have hard nostalgia goggles for these games by claiming they look better than recent games and have better pokemon models (in some instances they do, in many others they don't).

These games are insanely grindy and slow, the story is banal and boring, and most of the characters are completely forgettable. People thinking Genius Sonority would by defauly make a better pokemon game than Gamefreak is something i heavily disagree given how flawed the Colosseum games are. They are not some gold standard that anyone should achieve, if anything they should be a blueprint for a much better game.

I wouldn't mind another Colosseum style game though, given that there's potential for a pokemon game with the same mechanics of the main series, but not restricted by the same formula of fighting eight gym leaders, beating the champion, and catching every pokemon.
With Colosseum, the Story Mode was a secondary feature. The main focus was on the Battle Mode. The Story Mode was mainly made to give players access to some Johto Pokémon that were otherwise unobtainable at the time. XD was created as a sequel to Colosseum when the latter's Story Mode proved more popular than expected. Hence why XD places much more emphasis on the story and its plot.

Trust me. The Battle Mode of Colosseum had a loooot more content than the Story Mode.
And i did all of it and there's not much difference in content. It's more biased to the main story if anything given that it can go up to 30 hours. Don't know which version you played, but mine wasn't the way you say it.

And i did all of it and there's not much difference in content. It's more biased to the main story if anything given that it can go up to 30 hours. Don't know which version you played, but mine wasn't the way you say it.
I haven't played Colosseum, but I've watched plenty of videos about it. I can assure you, the Battle Mode received more focus than the Story Mode from the creative team.

I haven't played Colosseum, but I've watched plenty of videos about it.
Sigh. And I actually played it and there's not much difference in the amount of content. The Ho-oh i have is from the 100 battles Mt. Battle.

And even with that, what difference does it make? I don't care what the "focus" was. You made a lame, half assed story that takes too long to complete. I'm not gonna give you pity points because of what you focused on.

Sigh. And I actually played it and there's not much difference in the amount of content. The Ho-oh is from the 100 battles Mt. Battle.

And even with that, what difference does it make? I don't care what the "focus" was, you made a lame, half assed story that takes too long to complete. I'm not gonna give you pity points because of what you focused on.
The split focus is exactly why the story is what it is. The characters and the settings were very memorable to many people, especially Wes and Miror B. The latter's popularity was so big it's the reason why he was included in XD as a returning character.

The split focus is exactly why the story is what it is.
Lol now it's spilt, i thought the Battle mode got much more content. And that justifies nothing, they could have made an halfway decent story regardless of what they were actually focusing on.

And if the story mode was only meant to hand out Johto starters, maybe they could have had it not take forever to get them.

The split focus is exactly why the story is what it is. The characters and the settings were very memorable to many people, especially Wes and Miror B. The latter's popularity was so big it's the reason why he was included in XD as a returning character.
Speaking of which, I personally found really strange that Wes didn't return in Gale of Darkness as a Red-style boss fight. Idk, it just feels like a missed opportunity and it would have been pretty cool. I even envision Wes as using a team consisting of his two Johto Eeveelutions, the Legendary Beasts, and Ho-oh.

Lol now it's spilt, i thought the Battle mode got much more content.
Sllit focus doesn't necessarily mean it was spread evenly between the two modes.
Speaking of which, I personally found really strange that Wes didn't return in Gale of Darkness as a Red-style boss fight. Idk, it just feels like a missed opportunity and it would have been pretty cool. I even envision Wes as using a team consisting of his two Johto Eeveelutions, the Legendary Beasts, and Ho-oh.
Chuggaaconroy once said that Wes was supposed to return as the big bad in XD, but it was eventually decided that it wouldn't be great to turn the hero player character into a villain, and this idea was scrapped. However, he didn't site a source for this information, and I've been unable to find any source stating this that isn't quoting Chuggaaconroy, so take it with a grain of salt.

Chuggaaconroy once said that Wes was supposed to return as the big bad in XD, but it was eventually decided that it wouldn't be great to turn the hero player character into a villain, and this idea was scrapped. However, he didn't site a source for this information, and I've been unable to find any source stating this that isn't quoting Chuggaaconroy, so take it with a grain of salt.
Well, that's kinda why I said that Wes's return should have been more along the lines of Red in GSC, in that he'd be a bonus post-game boss. Also, believe it or not, I actually do remember seeing a claim like that prior to Chuggaaconroy popularizing it, and if I remember correctly, it was Did You Know Gaming? that first made it. Granted, they also don't cite a source nor can it be properly corroborated, which heavily implies that that was either an error, or an April Fools joke or something.

Back
Top Bottom