• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your favorite video game?

This is hard as I don't have just one favorite game, let alone one from favorite games series lol. I'd probably put in a list of my favorites by series as follows:

Pokemon:
GSC
DPPt
HGSS
BW
ORAS
SWSH

Though I like all the mainline Pokemon games but these six would certainly be my picks as top favorites in the series.

Fire Emblem:
Genealogy of the Holy War
Thracia 776
Path of Radiance
Radiant Dawn
Three Houses

With special mentions to Sacred Stones, New Mystery of the Emblem, Awakening, and Shadows of Valentia. TMS also gets a special mention even though it's a SMT crossover spinoff.

Also I should note, TearRing Saga and Vestaria Saga games are also good but the characters and story are definitely more meh in comparison (especially in what you get for characters). There are obvious FE influences, of course being by the same person that created and worked on the first five games it's kind of inevitable.

FE games aren't really the best/known when it comes to story generally, and most fans usually play for the gameplay and characters (I do to as well ofc), but I'd say that 4, 5, 9, 10, and 16 had my favorite stories and definitely my most favorite characters of the series. 4 with the second best world building and the obligatory deaths of most gen 1 units (and I still say Seliph conversing with his deceased parents after defeating Arvis is one of the saddest convos in the series for me) and of course Deirdre's unfortunate situation before gen 2 starts, 5 with the underdog lord Leif and his own personal tale before joining with Seliph in 4, 9 and 10 being a duology and having the best world building in Tellius, and 16 taking some cues from 4 and having an actual solid cast/story (with Azure Moon being my favorite of the four routes) and not having Fates stupid "buy 3 games for the actual Full True Story ™ " thing.

Final Fantasy:
VIII
Type-0

Special mentions to IV, VI, VII, IX, X, and XV.

Similar with Pokemon in that I like pretty much all the games, but VIII and Type-0 are my top two favorites with characters and story.

Shining series:
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force III (all three scenarios)
Shining Tears
Shining Hearts
Shining Blade
Shining Resonance (Refrain version)

I should say that I prefer the story in III with all scenarios, and most others mentioned are mainly for the characters. Shining as a series I mainly stayed for the characters tbh.

Tales of series:
Symphonia
Abyss
Innocence (have not played the remake)
Vesperia
Graces f
Xillia duology
Zestiria

Special mentions to Phantasia, Hearts R, and Berseria.

Otome games:
Collar X Malice
OZMAFIA!!
Black Wolves Saga
Code: Realize
Norn9
Bad Apple Wars
Enchanted in the Moonlight
Star-Crossed Myth
Starry☆Sky (since this is four games it counts for Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter)
Obey Me!
AMNEƧIA
Hakuoki series
Alice=Alice
Period: Cube
Piofiore: Fated Memories
Mystic Messenger
Diabolik Lovers
TAISHO x ALICE
Steam Prison

Special mentions to Cinderella Phenomenon, July Revolution, In the Manor of the Earl, Variable Barricade, Café Enchanté, Hiiro no Kakera, Ayakashi Koi Gikyoku, and there's a few more (both special mentions and top favorites) but I probably shouldn't list for various reasons.

This also goes for any fan disc's, episodes, prologue/epilogue, final/special editions, etc. that have been released.

Anime games (as in based off of anime/manga/LN series):
Fairy Tail RPG
My Hero One's Justice 1 and 2
SAO: Hollow Realization
SAO: Lost Song
SAO: Fatal Bullet
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
Black Clover: Quartet Knights
JJBA: All Star Battle and Eyes of Heaven
J-Stars Victory VS+ (honestly got this game cause Kuroko was a support character in it lol)
Kuroshitsuji: Phantom and Ghost
Vampire Knight DS (got this as a gift from a friend around 2010 and it actually got me more into dating sim games; also it's Vampire Knight, one of my favorite manga/anime series lol)
Kuroko no Basuke: Game of Miracles (was obsessed with it, I still remember always favoring the Shutoku route; I still also want to play the two 3DS games)

I remember playing a few Bleach, Naruto, and like one or two One Piece games, but I don't even know if I still have them or not. I've also played other FT games but honestly, the latest one has to be my favorite.

Other miscellaneous games:
Zwei: The Arges Adventure
Smash Bros. Ultimate
Ni no Kuni series
Guilty Gear series
BlazBlue series
SMT series (mainly Nocturne, IV, Apocalypse; including the Persona, DDS duology, Raiden duology, and Devil Survivor duology spinoffs)
Under Night In-Birth
Treasure of the Rudras
Disgaea 4 and 5
Star Ocean (the first one at least, haven't played any others yet)
Shantae series (still need to play Seven Sirens though)
Undertale
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Sakura Wars series
VASARA Collection
The House in Fata Morgana

There might be more, but at best they might be special mentions or were sort of alright.

Last edited:
I love video games, but unfortunately I haven't played enough to call myself a "gamer" :confused_emoji:. My favorites are the main Pokémon games, the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Games, the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm saga and the Mario games, especially the Mario Kart and Mario Party ones.

Last edited:
Probably Rune Factory 4 and FFXIV. The former really got me through a ton of stressful moments, and I loved (and still love) the characters. FFXIV is just addicting to play, especially with friends. Plus the staff that work on it really seem to care about the game's future <3

My top favorite games are The Sims games. The Sims 3 is my top favorite. I just wish it ran better.

Otherwise, among my favorites are Animal Crossing games, Pokemon games (Black/White particularly), and Zelda games (BOTW being my top favorite).

Otherwise, among my favorites are Animal Crossing games, Pokemon games (Black/White particularly), and Zelda games (BOTW being my top favorite).

Ooh yeah, I want to add Animal Crossing (probably New Leaf) to my favorite games list too. Had endless fun playing, and it lasted me so very long. Do you have a favorite AC game from the series? \o/

Ooh yeah, I want to add Animal Crossing (probably New Leaf) to my favorite games list too. Had endless fun playing, and it lasted me so very long. Do you have a favorite AC game from the series? \o/

Yeah, I omitted that because my opinion on my favorite AC is jumbled right now. Lol. I thought that New Leaf was the best game, but then New Horizons came out and I had more fun with it. I played New Horizons for quite a bit longer than I did New Leaf. But New Horizons has more flaws to it than NL. BUT NH has town sculpting and outdoor furniture which are both major groundbreaking additions. And NH having updates helped keep me from getting burnt out as quickly as I did with NL.

I think if they improved villager interactions and added back all of the missing furniture, NH would be my favorite without any question. But the first is a pipe dream, and the second Nintendo just doesn't seem to be interested in doing. =/

I like a lot of games, but if I had to name an absolute, number one favorite game of all time...it'd be Mother 3, no question. Everything about it is master class, and no other game has made me feel things the way Mother 3 did. Buying that bootleg GBA cartridge of it was absolutely well worth it! I really ought to replay it some time so I can write a review of it.

aside from Pokemon
might be a surprising, since I don't play to many games, or like violence that much, its alright in games since I know I won't do any of that stuff in real life

GTA series, always loved them, hours of fun, likely GTA San Andreas my favorite of all in the series

Tomb Raider, a bit confusing with the puzzles, so much to do and explore, Tomb Raider 3 is my favorite in the series

Mario series another favorite of mine, hours of fun, nostalgia for me, Super Mario world, brings me so much memories as it was the first ever video game I ever played

Sim City series too, so much creativity and fun, and with me being a geography nerd, no surprise I play Sim City 4 the most, my favorite in the series, the one with most options to be creative

Mine is Hollow Knight, but I would also rank a few others very highly as well. Those being Abzú for it’s beautiful environments and art style, ORAS for being an excellent remake with a very good design overall, USUM(too long of an explanation), Breath of the Wild for it’s expansive world and excellent design philosophy, and Mario Kart Wii because its fun.

Hmm, it's hard to say one game is a true favorite because it's tough to pick a game over the other, but still.

Pokemon Yellow holds a special place with me as it was the first video game I'd ever truly owned myself (we'd had Super Mario 64 for example, but that was a family owned, and played game where as I was the only one to play Pokemon)

I loved Fallout 4 to the point where 6 years after its release I could still go and continue playing where I left off despite beating the main story in it 4 years ago.

I mean I could ramble on and on and on about a bunch of favorites I have, but I'll just limit myself to those two here.

I've never been any good at narrowing it down to just one, but I tried to keep it reasonable lol. I usually define my favorite games as not only ones that I have a soft spot for, but the ones I return to play all the time... so I'm omitting any really long RPGs that I've only played once, or games I loved previously but have since fallen off of.

As for just Pokemon games (including spin-offs!), I think my favorites are FireRed/LeafGreen, Platinum, Colosseum/XD, Puzzle League, Snap, and Channel. These are the ones I could come back to a million times and never get bored of them. :bulbaLove:

As for anything else... Mario Kart 8 (+ Deluxe), Tomodachi Life, Bejeweled 3, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Miitopia, and The Sims 3 (PC).
MK8DX is close to being one of my all-time favorite games ever, but I love Mario Kart in general and 8DX just happens to be the definitive one right now so I'm sure as soon as they come out with MK9 I'll be saying that about it too. Tomodachi Life is really deserving of a Switch port/sequel, and Sims 3 I still like quite a bit more than 4. The rest is just casual fun that I've sunk way too many hours into.

Hard to say, I have more than one. It's usually a combination of story, OST, gameplay and memorable\emotional moments that makes a game really enjoyable for me, and the ones I have in mind right now are:

Danganronpa: Academy of Hope and Students of Despair
Final Fantasy XV
The Last of Us
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pokemon X\Y

#1 favorite is Skies of Arcadia: Legends. It is a JRPG from the Dreamcast/Gamecube-era and I love pretty much everything about it.

The story is good, the characters (the main cast in particular) is great, with Vyse being a really inspiring protagonist but without being too annoyingly optimistic, and I really like the way he, Aika, and Fina become such a close group without any love triangle drama to drag it down. The world of Skies of Arcadia is so neat with the airships and different cultures based to some degree on real-world cultures but associated with the different moons of the game to flavor them. There is a fairly large world map where you get to sail around in your ship to find discoveries and to navigate to locations, and I liked the dungeons in the game a lot. Some minor puzzles, but none too annoying. Battles are fun; turn-based, intuitive, and fun in swapping weapon color to learn new magic or hit weakness on enemies. And the music... the MUSIC... I love the soundtrack so much. And the visuals have that deliciously Dreamcast look to them, and they're so bright and colorful.

Some other favorites are Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Paper Mario, Pokemon Crystal (and HG/SS; they're all about the same to me) and I'll probably cut the list off there before I start listing too many games.
My top favorite games are The Sims games. The Sims 3 is my top favorite. I just wish it ran better.
My dream Sims 5 is basically doing The Sims 3 with the open neighborhood and Create-a-Style and trait system it had but just with more Sims 4-style graphics. Everything else about The Sims 3 is already pretty much what I want from a Sims game, it was so good and hindered mostly just by how horrible it runs on a lot of PCs.

My dream Sims 5 is basically doing The Sims 3 with the open neighborhood and Create-a-Style and trait system it had but just with more Sims 4-style graphics. Everything else about The Sims 3 is already pretty much what I want from a Sims game, it was so good and hindered mostly just by how horrible it runs on a lot of PCs.

I can agree that The Sims 3 runs horribly. Years ago I did a lot of research and got a PC built specifically to run The Sims 3 the best it can... Sadly, it didn't really do that. It ran it a lot better than my PC before it at least, but that's still disappointing.

The open world and story progression are so amazing. Scrapping them for The Sims 4 is just absurd.

I don't know that I'd want The Sims 4 graphics, though. TS4's graphics are noticeably poor. They may have some more modern effects than The Sims 3, but otherwise they're just the very definition of a game trying to hide bad graphics behind a cartoony label and still failing. I'd prefer that The Sims 5's style be very detailed. It doesn't have to be hyper realistic, but it shouldn't be the PS2-like style that The Sims 4 has.

The Sims 3 was never perfect with its graphics either. Most noticeably, I have always disliked the plants and how they aren't even 3D and are just a jumbled ugly mess most of the time. Also, The Sims 4 handles plants so much better in Seasons. In TS3 Seasons only the trees changed for the seasons, nothing else, and that just really messes with the winter aesthetic. The Sims 4 Seasons somehow nailed this, even the terrain changes for the seasons.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom