• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is there a certain pattern to Ash’s captures?

Srebak

Reaction score
Honestly I have been taking notice of this possibility and here’s a little bit of why

Most of Ash’s grass-type Pokémon are stoic and protective and will do anything to prove their merit and strength in battle

Most of Ash’s Fire-type Pokémon are those who have been hurt and/or mistreated by someone in someway at some point and long to prove just how strong that they are, most likely to prove to everyone, themselves included, that they are not weak or worthless.

And finally

Most of the Water-type Pokémon that Ash has are those who either have a history of troublemaking or have the makings of a troublemaker to a certain degree, thus justifying their need for someone like Ash to keep them under control and to redirect their energy into something more constructive

Any thoughts...?

I would say so, with the only exception to the pattern being Cyndaquil. If I remember correctly, it is Ash's only fire type starter that wasn't abandoned by a previous trainer or had a sad/troubled past.

There’s a pattern with Flying-types too, simply due to the fact that it’s either the first or second type he catches in a series. Pidgetto was Ash’s second-ever caught Pokémon, Taillow was the first Pokémon Ash caught in the Advanced series, Starly was the first Pokémon Ash caught in the Diamond & Pearl series, Pidove was the first Pokémon Ash caught in the Best Wishes series, Fletchling was the second Pokémon Ash caught in the XY series, Rowlet was the first Pokémon Ash catches in the Sun & Moon series, and even Dragonite is the first Pokémon Ash catches in the Journeys series.

The only outlier is Noctowl, as he was the fifth Pokémon Ash caught in Johto. However, since Johto is still a part of the original series, Pidgetto still fits within the pattern of a Flying-type Pokémon being Ash’s first or second capture within a series.

I mean yes there was a pattern to his captures but now that pattern is pretty much broken - for the worst in my opinion. It'd be nice if his current team was getting more screentime and developing but I think Ash catching Dragonite and Gengar fully-evolved was a bad idea looking back. And I don't know what the heck the writing staff are thinking when it comes to Dracovish since they haven't shown him in a while.

Honestly I have been taking notice of this possibility and here’s a little bit of why

Most of Ash’s grass-type Pokémon are stoic and protective and will do anything to prove their merit and strength in battle

Most of Ash’s Fire-type Pokémon are those who have been hurt and/or mistreated by someone in someway at some point and long to prove just how strong that they are, most likely to prove to everyone, themselves included, that they are not weak or worthless.

And finally

Most of the Water-type Pokémon that Ash has are those who either have a history of troublemaking or have the makings of a troublemaker to a certain degree, thus justifying their need for someone like Ash to keep them under control and to redirect their energy into something more constructive

Any thoughts...?
Not necessarily.

Froakie wasn't a Troublemaker

Litten wasn't mistreated by anyone

Rowlet definitely wasn't Stoic (Although his Final Evolution does look Stoic, he sadly never got to that stage)

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

Froakie wasn't a Troublemaker

Litten wasn't mistreated by anyone

Rowlet definitely wasn't Stoic (Although his Final Evolution does look Stoic, he sadly never got to that stage)

1. I did say ‘most’

2. Froakie did have a personality that could have led him to become one

3. But Litten did still have the drive to prove that it was a tough enough Pokémon

Well, "most" of these traits you listed are quite a reach.

Hey I just noticed that a lot of those particular Pokémon types that Ash has caught have something in common and thought that if there was a pattern of some kind then it was worthy of some form of a discussion

Hey I just noticed that a lot of those particular Pokémon types that Ash has caught have something in common and thought that if there was a pattern of some kind then it was worthy of some form of a discussion
You asked for our thoughts and I gave mine.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom