• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN062: Damp Jimereon

Status
Not open for further replies.

duringpampers

Reaction score
Episode Title in Japanese: じめじめジメレオン
Air Date: April 16, 2021
じめじめジメレオン.png

Because Sobble is just another insignificant Goh Pokémon, it evolving does not excite me (if that's what's going to happen here). If the writers really want to make things interesting, Ash will catch a Drizzile; but I'd just be reaching for the stars at this point :rolleyes:

Because Sobble is just another insignificant Goh Pokémon, it evolving does not excite me (if that's what's going to happen here). If the writers really want to make things interesting, Ash will catch a Drizzile; but I'd just be reaching for the stars at this point :rolleyes:
I don’t think belonging to Goh categorically makes it insignificant. I actually really enjoy Goh’s Sobble, personally.

I don’t think belonging to Goh categorically makes it insignificant. I actually really enjoy Goh’s Sobble, personally.
Outside of Cinderace and Scizor (to an extent), Goh’s Pokémon have minor appearances and don’t do anything significant, including Sobble. It evolving will actually be the first major thing to come from it. If the writers decide to make Sizzile’s personality mirror its Dex description, though, Sobble/Sizzile will continue to waste away.

Outside of Cinderace and Scizor (to an extent), Goh’s Pokémon have minor appearances and don’t do anything significant, including Sobble. It evolving will actually be the first major thing to come from it. If the writers decide to make Sizzile’s personality mirror its Dex description, though, Sobble/Sizzile will continue to waste away.
Sobble appears in almost every episode though. I don’t think it has to have any massive accomplishments for it to be significant and have a cute character. Didn’t it also recently get an entire episode centered around it?

Sobble appears in almost every episode though. I don’t think it has to have any massive accomplishments for it to be significant and have a cute character. Didn’t it also recently get an entire episode centered around it?
Considering it had only gotten an episode to itself after being a glorified shoulder plushie for over 20 episodes, I can’t really consider that to be anything to write home about. Personally, I find that that’s a major failing on the part of the writers especially compared to previous sagas.

It appears in majority of the episodes and does nothing worth recognizing. If the criteria for you begins and ends with it just being cute, that’s fine. I (because my initial post was about my feelings) do think it has to bring something to the table in order for me to think anything more of it. So far, I don’t feel strongly about Goh’s Sobble (much like the majority of his Pokémon), so again, it evolving doesn’t stir up any excitement within me.

appearance =/= focus or relevant development

considering that Sobble spent pretty much all the time it was on-screen being nothing more than a prop, and then only getting 1 focus episode, it evolving here feels even more underwhelming and undeserving than Scorbunny to Raboot. at this point, it seems like they only gave Grookey to Sobble to justify the latter's rushed evolution or is it the vice versa?

they could have spent so many episodes keeping Sobble's character in focus instead of using it as a shoulder warmer, for the crying or disappearing gags etc. just another negative aspect of this series, rushing through evolutions just to check off the box.

i read a post somewhere about the writers not being confident about what to do with the Galar starters (like putting Cinderace alongside Lucario because they're not confident it'll stand up by itself) and now the multiple rushed evolutions for them kinda makes it an objective fact.

Considering it had only gotten an episode to itself after being a glorified shoulder plushie for over 20 episodes, I can’t really consider that to be anything to write home about. Personally, I find that that’s a major failing on the part of the writers especially compared to previous sagas.
The writers have no idea what to do with the Galar Starters and it really freaking shows.

All This just proves that they literally only gave Grookey to Goh just so Sobble could be free to Evolve. (Seeing how they didn't even wait 5 Episodes after Grookey's capture)

appearance =/= focus or relevant development

considering that Sobble spent pretty much all the time it was on-screen being nothing more than a prop, and then only getting 1 focus episode, it evolving here feels even more underwhelming and undeserving than Scorbunny to Raboot.

they could have spent so many episodes keeping Sobble's character in focus instead of using it as a shoulder warmer, for the crying or disappearing gags etc. just another negative aspect of this series, rushing through evolutions just to check off the box.

i read a post somewhere about the writers not being confident about what to do with the Galar starters (like putting Cinderace alongside Lucario because they're not confident it'll stand up by itself) and now the multiple rushed evolutions for them kinda makes it an objective fact.

You must be talking about the post I made in the Controversial Opinions thread:

I've been seeing a LOT of hate towards Gou for getting all 3 Starters when personally speaking I think the main problem lies within the show's writing and it wanting to have it's cake and eat it too with all the hollow pandering.

Ash doesn't get a Galar Starter this Gen because the Writers want to fill Ash's Team with a bunch of Shillmon you'd only see in Fanfic for the sake of Fan-service.

However it falls flat when you realize that beyond giving Ash some popular Pokémon, the Writer's didn't actually have any plans laid out for them.(The only one on Ash's Team who can actually be described as having any real Development is Farfetch'd)

They didn't give Ash Shillmon because they actually care about developing Ash's Team.

They gave Ash a Team of Shillmon as a form of clickbait to boost their ratings.

However, none of this is Gou's fault.

And I don't think Goh getting all the Galarian Starters is his fault either.

Gou just got the leftover stuff the writers didn't want to see Ash with.

Gou got all 3 Galar Starters because the Writers didn't think they'd be Marketable enough to have a place on Ash's Team.

(Notice how hard they were pushing Cinderace as a counterpart to freaking Lucario? Because apparently can't Cinderace cant stand on it's own for some reason? :rolleyes: Notice how Sobble is just Background fodder and it took 59 Episodes for Grookey to debut? Notice how TPC didn't even give Cinderace, Inteleon and Rillaboom the minimum of so much as a proper Introduction and the Fanbase only found out about them because of Leaks?)

People are angry at Gou for having all 3 Starters are ignoring that the marketing department didn't have any faith in them to begin with

I admit I was feeling kinda negative on that day. But this kinda proves my point

Honestly, I can't even say its gonna feel earned. Sobble had like 1 episode that showed it admiring an Inteleon and wanting to grow strong. The majority of the time Goh's owned Sobble has seen Sobble reduced to a glorified shoulder warmer, and now Sobble gets to evolve? And that preview reads Sobble's been training every day...We haven't seen a single ounce of training. I mean great to see a Drizzile, but wow....

Must every episode thread immediately devolve into a negative echo chamber? At this point I’m pretty confident that there’s nothing they could do that wouldn’t be met with anger and complaints that go beyond reasonable criticisms.

Personally, I really enjoy Sobble’s character and the focus and development it has received so far. I actually don’t think it will evolve here, though. Something about the descriptions just make me feel like it will decide not to.

The writers have no idea what to do with the Galar Starters and it really freaking shows.

All This just proves that they literally only gave Grookey to Goh just so Sobble could be free to Evolve. (Seeing how they didn't even wait 5 Episodes after Grookey's capture)
It is so painfull. It is very very sad.

Goh's about to get a fully evolved Galar starter team.

why do you keep jumping the gun and painting any negative criticisms as villainous?
There are literal hundreds of comments that I read through in this section every day. I reply to maybe 5% of them. And seeing as how I posted one positive thing about Sobble and was immediately met with 3 quoted replies about how I was wrong and it’s nothing more than a glorified shoulder warmer, I don’t see how you could blame me.
negative criticisms about legitimate issues are not allowed now? this evolution being rushed is not "reasonable criticism" now? should we all be a hivemind of optimistic (and blind) positivity now?
Exhibit A. Cause who said all of this? These are your words, not mine.
there's a magazine scan leak that literally shows Drizzile so it's more or less guaranteed to evolve now. i find it hard to believe that one episode of focus and development after a long string of episodes being a prop is enough to justify an evolution. this evolution seems even more forced than Scorbunny's.
Magazine scans and descriptions have been misleading before. Often purposefully. How do we know that Drizzile is Goh’s? Of course it’s possible. But something just tells me it might not be evolving here.

So Sobble and G. Farfetch'd:

-Were both caught around the same time

-Both got put on the back burner for 20+ Episodes where they had to take a backseat to Shillerace and Shillcario

-Both got 3 Episodes of Major Focus

(Sobble: "Messon Sobs for What Reason", "Messon In Possible", Woebegone Jimereon")

(G.Farfetch'd: "The Great Kamonegi Trial", Elite 4 Ganpi! House of Chivalry!", "Aim to become Leek Master! Stay with me Chivalry!")

-Both Trained off-screen

-Both Evolved around the same time

Hey I just have one Question.

What's wrong with this show's pacing?

they're not wrong, are they? can you prove objectively with on-screen evidence that they're wrong? it doesn't help that Sobble only has one focus episode where it actually does something that holds merit to its character prior to this upcoming episode. just one.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They’re not wrong and neither am I; it’s subjective. What I take issue with is the exaggeration in the way I too often see these opinions presented. Calling it a “glorified shoulder warmer” for example, is just going to upset people who genuinely like Sobble because it’s needlessly reductive. Just say you’re not a fan of the amount of screen time it’s gotten or that you wish it had more achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom