• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Mainly with the way it happened.
It’s kinda ironic when you think about it, Ash started the League with Pikachu just not going down after tanking a ridiculous amount of damage against Trip and ended the League against a Riolu/Lucario that just wouldn’t go down against Cameron.

Hm, changing the subject here, but I've always wondered why people have this constant obsession with saying that Greninja is Ash's "best" pokemon and then don't clarify what exactly they mean by "best". Like, strongest? Not much evidence for that, honestly. Most development? That's not the case at all. Most personality? I don't see anyone remembering Greninja for his personality... So what is it then? At this point I feel like the only reason people like Greninja is for Ash-Greninja, which in itself felt like a cheap plot point in XYZ. (Which is funny, since the Snowbelle arc with Ash-Greninja was incredibly well done.)

Then you have people claiming that they care more about the Pokemon Anime than the creators. I'm putting it here as a controversial opinion, since I've seen people get into quite a heated debate over it: some saying that the anime writers completely suck, while others say that those people are simply being preemptive and probably wouldn't be able to write any better. Honestly, I just really feel as if a lot of people ignore the factors into making the pokemon anime, which can be especially shown during Sun and Moon. I mean, you still have people claiming the series completely sucks due to the art style and "horrible animation". First off, art style isn't everything(and from what I heard, it actually grew on a certain amount of people), and second off, anyone who still claims that XY had better animation than Sun and Moon probably hasn't compared the animation itself.

Also, people claiming Ash was at his best in XY. What happened to Sinnoh? Just, actually, people in general completely overrating the XY series. I get it, I love that series too, but sometimes..."Alain is Ash's best rival", "XY Ash is most mature", "Ash-Greninja is Ash's best pokemon"...I feel as if its maybe just a tad bit overwhelming?

3.Ash-Greninja deserves it's bond over Pikachu because it's unpredictable.

Um...you mean its strength is unpredictable. And even then, that only happens at the beginning of series, and has stuck it with Ash through thick and thin. Not to mention, unlike Greninja, Pikachu actually went through development. Remember when he was pretty much a complete wimp when it came to battling and had little respect for Ash? That changed until Pikachu became just as obsessed and head-strong with battling as Ash is. Better yet, this happened over the course of an entire series, whereas Greninja and Ash only had a, what, two episode arc to overcome and that was it? Ash has had arcs with his bond with many of his other pokemon-do you compare those arcs as well? Saying that Greninja is more deserving of its bond with Ash than Pikachu is can basically be compared to saying that a child is loved more by their mother than their sibling-you can't make comparisons because that's not how relationships work.

Also, just completely forget the numerous episodes that have established the fact that Ash and Pikachu have an extremely strong relationship with one another, and that in XY-XYZ Ash is almost always seen trying to protect Pikachu, who, in turn, did far more at the Kalos league than Greninja did, if you're trying to compete in terms of strength.

Does nobody comment on the fact that when Lysandre tried to posses Ash and Greninja, it was Pikachu who snapped him out of it? Yeah, that's right, it was Pikachu. Pikachu's voice made it through to Ash, which, in turn, made it through to Greninja, snapping them both out of the pain they were in so they could be able to perform the bond phenomenon. Seriously, watch the episode and pay close attention. Unless it was just sheer coincidence that the animators decided to do a close-up of Pikachu shouting out Ash's name a mere second before Ash gasped and was able to be conscience enough to talk back to Lysandre.

Ash's bond with Pikachu is special. It's not greater than any other bond he has, but its still special, which is why those two are considered an iconic duo. Unpredictability is Pikachu's flaw in terms of battling ability-nothing more.

My apologies for the rant. :bulbaLove:

Another flaw in Trip that I don't think gets talked about enough is his entire motivation. As a kid, he gets inspired by Alder, and Alder promises to face him one day, providing the motivation for Trip's whole career as a Trainer. And then when he finally meets Alder again, the main doesn't even remember Trip, having just talked big to a fan of his. So basically, Trip's whole motivation is gone right there. And in what way does it affect him? In no way whatsoever. Yet another bit of wasted potential for the Black & White series.
It's been a while since i'veseen the series, but this isnt exactly true. Trip wasnt exactly hapy to stick around after alder proved him wrong, and left early and pissed. It was also paid off asTrip won a big tournament only to face alder and get taught what he was issing. It wasnt exaxtly Handled perfectly, but this whole 'wasted motivation' malarkey is incorrect.

Misty's whole gimmick, when she was introduced, was that she wanted to give herself a distinction from her three spotlight-stealing older sisters. But once she got Togepi, a Pokémon never before seen at that time, something truly unique only to her, she achieved that goal and didn't need to assert herself anymore. This caused her to pretty much have no goal for the next 200+ episodes she spent traveling with Ash. She was there simply just because.

In all honesty, I never had any problems with Misty or Brock not having a clear-cut goal during the OS series. Yeah, it's hard not to compare this to the series that comes after it, but you also have to consider that majority of OS was about the journey. It was just three friends traveling together, with three regular (enjoyable) antagonists that all have unique dynamics with one another. Even the pokemon have dynamics; between themselves and the humans. Can I just point out that a lot of the most memorable parts about the OS series are ones that aren't about Ash's gym battle? The Island of Giant Pokemon, Bye Bye Butterfree, Snow Way Out, Pikachu's Goodbye...hell, three of those are just exploring Ash's relationship with his pokemon.

Ash's goal wasn't really the central focus of the OS series: yes, it can be seen as such as its the only goal being worked towards the course of the series, but it was really mostly about the journey. OS was pretty experimental and was still the first-Misty and Brock didn't really need goals, because not every enjoyable character has to have a clear cut goal. Some are just enjoyable for their character or the impact they have on other characters. (Though OS being experimental led to faults in this as well...)

@AnimeJewel246
Going back to Ash's Greninja, one read why I didn't really like it was because it was labeled as sort of a "Chosen One", basically making it even more of a protagonist of the XY series than even Ash. It chose its Trainer, instead of the other way around. It had a prophecy made about it. It ended up unlocking a new form. It had a destiny to fulfill. Not Ash. Ash was just someone who helped Greninja to become stronger and unlock its hidden potential, but it was still only possible because Greninja had all those qualities.

Going back to Ash's Greninja, one read why I didn't really like it was because it was labeled as sort of a "Chosen One", basically making it even more of a protagonist of the XY series than even Ash. It chose its Trainer, instead of the other way around. It had a prophecy made about it. It ended up unlocking a new form. It had a destiny to fulfill. Not Ash. Ash was just someone who helped Greninja to become stronger and unlock its hidden potential, but it was still only possible because Greninja had all those qualities.

Which is funny, considering how everyone always hyped XY Ash to be the "hero" archetype and one that is basically the best version of him...

The only reason I felt anyone liked Ash's Greninja was because of its special form. I can't even read a fanfic with that thing in it where the bond phenomenon is literally what makes up ninety percent of the story, is treated as if its some thing where it makes Greninja Ash's strongest pokemon, and for some strange reason it always seems to know Ash better than anyone else.

Also, those claims that Greninja was Ash's ace during the Kalos League. Lmao, no-he faced like four pokemon, one of which we didn't get to see the entire battle with, another he won against, a third which lasted like a minute...and the last one he lost. Meanwhile, Pikachu took down FOUR pokemon(Clawitzer, Aegislash, Tyranitar, and Metagross) all of which were battles we got to see in full; not to mention Pikachu briefly faced off against Sawyer's Sceptile and Alain's Charizard, the latter of which-even while extremely damaged-he managed to make FREAKING KNEEL TO THE GROUND. And the rest? Meh, who cares, let's just shaft them to the side. Not like it was a certain pokemon's first debut battle or anything...(*cough cough*Noivern*cough*) To be honest, the entire Kalos league just plain sucked.

Last edited:
Also, those claims that Greninja was Ash's ace during the Kalos League. Lmao, no-he faced like four pokemon, one of which we didn't get to see the entire battle with, another he won against, a third which lasted like a minute...and the last one he lost. Meanwhile, Pikachu took down FOUR pokemon(Clawitzer, Aegislash, Tyranitar, and Metagross) all of which were battles we got to see in full; not to mention Pikachu briefly faced off against Sawyer's Sceptile and Alain's Charizard, the latter of which-even while extremely damaged-he managed to make F***ING KNEEL TO THE GROUND. And the rest? Meh, who cares, let's just shaft them to the side. Not like it was a certain pokemon's first debut battle or anything...(*cough cough*Noivern*cough*) To be honest, the entire Kalos league just plain sucked.
I wouldn't necessarily say it sucked, but it definitely suffered from being rushed in favor of the Team Flare arc. I mean, what kind of a League is it when Ash is already confirmed to be in the semifinals by the second League episode?

I wouldn't necessarily say it sucked, but it definitely suffered from being rushed in favor of the Team Flare arc. I mean, what kind of a League is it when Ash is already confirmed to be in the semifinals by the second League episode?

Honestly, I think this should've been the first sign that people were being set up for disappointment...

I mean, the entire league had the main focus on not freaking Ash, but Alain; two episodes in Ash is already at the most important battle(how did he even get there?) and the Flare arc was being set up right after. Since normally the league is the main plot in other series, and the villain plots kind of are all accomplished BEFORE the league, the Flare arc being set up during the league basically implied that the league itself(Ash's goal) wasn't that important. Alain's story was deemed more important, instead. (What with him working with Team Flare, the emotion explored with him in the league...why did Ash not get as much of an in-depth focus as Alain did? Because Alain relates to Team Flare, and the league wasn't the important thing-Team Flare was)

Honestly, I think this should've been the first sign that people were being set up for disappointment...

I mean, the entire league had the main focus on not freaking Ash, but Alain; two episodes in Ash is already at the most important battle(how did he even get there?) and the Flare arc was being set up right after. Since normally the league is the main plot in other series, and the villain plots kind of are all accomplished BEFORE the league, the Flare arc being set up during the league basically implied that the league itself(Ash's goal) wasn't that important. Alain's story was deemed more important, instead. (What with him working with Team Flare, the emotion explored with him in the league...why did Ash not get as much of an in-depth focus as Alain did? Because Alain relates to Team Flare, and the league wasn't the important thing-Team Flare was)
I also think that the Flare arc was probably set up to be more important than the League.

So hypothetically, even if Ash did win (which would have been amazing), there probably wouldn't have been room for fanfare or celebration since Team Flare would have released their plans immediately afterwards. Imagine the episode. Alain's Mega Charizard faints. Ash-Greninja stands. Ash is declared the winner. He holds up the trophy at the ceremony but then the stadium gets raided by Flare-controlled Zygarde and the ceremony is cancelled. All the attention and spotlight for Ash switches over to Team Flare.

I don't like the notion that:

Battling allot = good character
Not battling allot = waste of space

In a series with as much potential as pokemon, the fixation on battling seems extremely restrictive.

This is my personal opinion

Well battling is a central part of the anime, we have seen the results of the decision to put battling on the back burner and they were not exactly stellar in most cases. So sticking to the restrictive choice would be logical.

Examples of failures:

Showcases
Goh's goal (regardless of how mishandled it is)

Sun and Moon however worked pretty well

I guess the

1) abandoning the region traveling
2) large secondary cast
3) slice of life

May have been some of the reasons why Sun and Moon worked out.

I am not saying that battling equals a good character but it does give the pokemon in most cases more exposure and therefore time to develop as a character.

The prime example of failure where exposure had little effect:

Greninja

You should also remember that the anime will always be an advertisement for the games.

The decision to make Team Flare important instead of the League was it's own problem since Ash didn't interact with them at all for about two years and spent most his time trying to get into the Kalos league. In a lot of ways I find their decision to uses the specials to set up the "real" plotline then jam it into the main series baffling.
I really think the theory they were reusing their plans for the Team Plasma finale are pretty likely.

Although Team Flare is probably the most praised story part of XY the series would probably be better remembered if they were cut entirely and the episodes used for a larger Kalos League that Ash won in the end.

Nah. There would've been even more debate if the match was interrupted.
Debate, but Ash being an honourable title in Kalos would've been better than what happened. The internet was NOT a good place to be at that time. The match getting interrupted and Ash getting a special title would've been more than enough to salvage some positivity out of it.

Debate, but Ash being an honourable title in Kalos would've been better than what happened. The internet was NOT a good place to be at that time. The match getting interrupted and Ash getting a special title would've been more than enough to salvage some positivity out of it.
He still received recognition with how things turned out.

Back
Top Bottom