• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The True Potential of Pokemon Legends becoming a series

Let's Go Pikachu, which is a different serie, has pikachu on the box art, like Pokemon Yellow.

I mean, it's a remake of Yellow, it's just a bit more liberal with the definition than usual. There's no evidence at this time that Let's Go is ever going to become a "series" of its own. Let's Go's only substantial difference from Yellow was the catching mechanics, and the fact that they made an Eevee version so they could have a pair, whereas Legends: Arceus is clearly doing its own thing without adhering in any way to the plot or pre-formed layout of Diamond & Pearl.

I think if Kyurem or Necrozma were to end up on a Legends box, they'd probably have to get a new form. Ultra Necrozma could work for the latter since it technically wasn't the mascot of USUM (it was just hinted at on the box art), and the solution for Kyurem is obvious (although strictly speaking, I think the implication in B2W2 is that the Original Dragon was a separate species rather than a fourth form of Kyurem, which if true makes it a moot point.)

Kyurem's species name in the English versions is literately the "Boundary Pokemon", and the species names for Reshiram and Zekrom in Japanese translate to the "White Yang Pokemon" and "Black Yin Pokemon" respectively, and besides, a Pokemon can have a different species name in a different form, Hoopa comes to mind as a prime example of that being possible.
I’m thinking more than just a different classification though; in Hoopa’s case, it’s clearly the same entity, just that it’s full power is sealed away and has to be deliberately unlocked. On the other hand, I can’t really see the logic of calling the Original Dragon of Unova ‘Kyurem’ as a species name, as that name implies emptiness. What you’re implying as that Kyurem and the Original Dragon are literally the same entity; but it’s referred to as merely the husk of the Original Dragon for a reason.

This also begs the question: if Kyurem is literally the Original Dragom in a weakened state, then what exactly does that say about Reshiram and Zekrom? Are do they no longer count as parts of the fractured being, but rather the Original Dragon’s offspring? The lore and the existing Kyurem forms prove otherwise. I don’t see how Kyurem can literally be the original dragon given that it willingly split up for the founding brothers of the region while Kyurem only cares about filling the emptiness.

This also begs the question: if Kyurem is literally the Original Dragom in a weakened state, then what exactly does that say about Reshiram and Zekrom? Are do they no longer count as parts of the fractured being, but rather the Original Dragon’s offspring? The lore and the existing Kyurem forms prove otherwise. I don’t see how Kyurem can literally be the original dragon given that it willingly split up for the founding brothers of the region while Kyurem only cares about filling the emptiness.

If it was known as Kyurem back then, then it kind of breaks the lore of why that one town had unsavory rumors about it like they didn’t know that it was their guardian in a weakened state. You would think the people of Unova would have some record of the Original Dragon having that name unless the name was scrubbed from history.

All in all I just don’t see how making Kyurem the same species (having the same name would imply it as such) as Unova’s Original Dragon can work from a lore standpoint nor a thematic one.

I’m thinking more than just a different classification though; in Hoopa’s case, it’s clearly the same entity, just that it’s full power is sealed away and has to be deliberately unlocked. On the other hand, I can’t really see the logic of calling the Original Dragon of Unova ‘Kyurem’ as a species name, as that name implies emptiness. What you’re implying as that Kyurem and the Original Dragon are literally the same entity; but it’s referred to as merely the husk of the Original Dragon for a reason.

If it was known as Kyurem back then, then it kind of breaks the lore of why that one town had unsavory rumors about it like they didn’t know that it was their guardian in a weakened state. You would think the people of Unova would have some record of the Original Dragon having that name unless the name was scrubbed from history.

All in all I just don’t see how making Kyurem the same species (having the same name would imply it as such) as Unova’s Original Dragon can work from a lore standpoint nor a thematic one.
Kyurem being part of the Original Dragon does technically make it said dragon as does Reshiram and Zekrom, being pieces doesn't automatically not make them the original, it's like when a glass cup is broken, those glass pieces belonged to the same cup, so collectively, they are the same cup. Remember that Lacunosa Town was built very long ago and well, during the time that it was built, there wasn't an instantaneous way to get information across the region. And I know that throughout history, people have always made outrageous claims to explain something (like how thought a fire explosion upon touching a log was black magic only for that ridiculous claim to be proven false by scientists), the whole "monster coming to town at night" was possibly just one of those outrageous claims made to explain why there were people who didn't come back when night rolled around when it was winter.

Yeah, I’ve never understood the idea of the original dragon being a Kyurem form. If Kyurem, Reshiram, and Zekrom are all parts of the original dragon, why would it be a Kyurem? I’m convinced that it is a Pokémon of its own species until or unless it is shown otherwise.

Yeah, I’ve never understood the idea of the original dragon being a Kyurem form. If Kyurem, Reshiram, and Zekrom are all parts of the original dragon, why would it be a Kyurem? I’m convinced that it is a Pokémon of its own species until or unless it is shown otherwise.

Well, I think people base that off the fact that white Kyurem AND black Kyurem are both just forms of Kyurem, so theoretically, white Kyurem + black Kyurem might be "original Kyurem" aka origin form Kyurem? It's possible that it'll be sort of like primal Groudon/Kyogre or origin Giratina, where it's Kyurem's "true" form. Or it could be a different Pokemon, who knows?

Well, I think people base that off the fact that white Kyurem AND black Kyurem are both just forms of Kyurem, so theoretically, white Kyurem + black Kyurem might be "original Kyurem" aka origin form Kyurem? It's possible that it'll be sort of like primal Groudon/Kyogre or origin Giratina, where it's Kyurem's "true" form. Or it could be a different Pokemon, who knows?
Maybe considering the all fusion thing from a gameplay pov will help solve the mystery.
There will be no original dragon. What I mean is that GF will not introduce a new pokemon that it's just Kyurem, Zekrom and Reshiram fused together. So the original dragon has to be a form of one of those three. Considering Kyurem is the only one who absorbs pokemon, I think it's safe to assume that the original dragon (at least from a gameplay pov) will be another form of Kyurem (assuming it will ever exist clearly):

I do think it’s more likely that, like Ultra Necrozma, the original dragon is just a Kyurem form rather than its own Dex number.

To play devil’s advocate though, legendaries do evolve now. They could make it so that the original dragon evolves into Kyurem and like Shedinja, casts off the other two. It would be impossible to reconstitute the original dragon (Kyurem’s forms being the closest you could get).

It would be a little weird that the dragon would be evolving into three monsters that are weaker than it, but there are ways around that— it could be considerably slower than its component dragons or could have an ability like Truant. It also would probably have none of the elemental types that the resultant dragons have, so there is some advantage to evolving it.

Personally, I am more worried/interested in gameplays aspects than if the game will be or can be considered a main series game.

Personally, I am more worried/interested in gameplays aspects than if the game will be or can be considered a main series game.

There is no "we consider" it main series, it is main series game, that is confirmed. A "series" or more so the fact that the community as a whole has to broaden their idea of what a "main series" game is. You could argue that we've had "series", I'd call "remakes" a separate series, as they deviate from the traditional "new region, new characters, new pokemon" formula, but they've always been main series games. Instead of calling games like Let's Go or Legends a "spin-off" which is incredibly incorrect, we need to consider that the main series games can have several series within in. That's why we have this thread, and especially if the game is successful (which like you said, will depend on gameplay aspects), then it's a no-brainer that fans would clamor for more Legends-style remakes. FRLG weren't originally supposed to spawn a whole remakes series I don't think, the games were introduced to solve the national dex issue Ruby and Sapphire brought with them, but they were so popular and fans began clamoring for Johto remakes that Game Freak was basically being told that fans wanted remakes of older games more. I remember being a kid browsing this website as a lurker around the reveal of HGSS and that was such a hype/fantastic time. So gameplay aspects will be important for the longevity of Legends as a series, if it's popular with fans, they'll do it again. I fully believe that Game Freak probably considered a Let's Go Johto entry into that series until fans complained about the change of gameplay for LGPE. This thread is mainly us hoping LA will be successful, and what other possible kinds of games we could get as a result. Personally, Legends: Original Dragon sounds like a really hype one and people did value Gen 5 for it's storytelling, so it's no wonder that a lore-heavy story-based series like Legends would be a great way for Unova fans to return to Unova.

Also, I really don't get why some people are still talking about whether a Pokemon could be a "repeat mascot" or not, like, if Game Freak wants to do it, they'll do it. Arceus was an easy choice because it's a mythical that ties into the region's main lore, which is rare, and no other region does this, why is why I don't think that's going to become a theme for mythical cover Pokemon. I think the "Legends" name in the title alone and being marketed as an ancient version of a region we knew is more than enough for 99% of fans to figure out it's a vastly different game. That's why Legends: Arceus was marketed the way it is, they made sure to tell everyone watching the trailer that it was a new story taking place in the past in a very different kind of Sinnoh region. What Pokemon actually ends up on the cover isn't nearly as important as that.

As far as which Pokemon actually fits each region the best, for hypothetical future Legends titles, I think it looks something like this.

For Kanto, Mew or Lugia, but I could see us never getting a Legends: Kanto since Kanto's lore itself extends to Johto, so basically I think a Johto-based Legends game could include Kanto, but I could also see them making each part it's own part, so part 1 could be Legends: Ho-Oh which focuses on Ho-Oh and the legendary beasts, but then Legends: Lugia could be a DLC part that comes with Kanto. Lugia itself could be absent from the base game, despite lore being referenced, or maybe a cameo appearance by Lugia teasing the DLC as you watch Lugia fly off to the east from the Whirl Islands or Brass Tower. I think this makes the most sense for a way to basically get Johto and Kanto out in one game, but for them to make a quick extra $20 or something off a $60 game. But I could see it being justified that since Johto and Kanto are such small regions independently, that both can be included in the base game.

I think in general we have to consider the possibility of large-scale DLCs, I've seen people say Breath of the Wild DLCs might be reminiscent of what LA DLCs might look like, or like SwSh DLCs which practically gave us our own mini-regions. So what I said about about Kanto being added to a Johto game could actually be true of LA as well, people did notice the lack of the Battle Resort in the LA maps, so some people think that might be it's own mini-region DLC pack for LA.

For Hoenn, the obvious answer is Rayquaza for the title Pokemon, since Jirachi and Deoxys don't really have much lore tie-in to Hoenn's legends (you know, the title of the series). Jirachi and Deoxys could rather be their own DLC packs for a hypothetical Legends: Rayquaza, the same way Urshifu and Calyrex were essentially the covers of a DLC pack.

For Unova, the Original Dragon makes the most sense.

For Kalos, Zygarde is the no-brainer.

For Alola, Necrozma.

For Galar, Eternatus.

These are the obvious central Pokemon to each region's respectful lore, and of all of these, the only exception is Arceus being the trio master of a trio master and a mythical, which is something exclusive to Sinnoh. It just wouldn't make sense to consider other names purely based on the fact that "they shouldn't reuse mascot legendaries".

Last edited:
I would really like to see a Legends: Magearna. It could provide backstory and lore about Volcanion as well.

There is no "we consider" it main series, it is main series game, that is confirmed. A "series" or more so the fact that the community as a whole has to broaden their idea of what a "main series" game is. You could argue that we've had "series", I'd call "remakes" a separate series, as they deviate from the traditional "new region, new characters, new pokemon" formula, but they've always been main series games. Instead of calling games like Let's Go or Legends a "spin-off" which is incredibly incorrect, we need to consider that the main series games can have several series within in. That's why we have this thread, and especially if the game is successful (which like you said, will depend on gameplay aspects), then it's a no-brainer that fans would clamor for more Legends-style remakes.

Personally, I consider Pokémon Legends as games of the main series because its lore/history is correlated to the original games, including the characters as it seems. In fact, the game is supposed to explain the origin of several stories and legends related to the region and the creation trio. Besides it, while a lot of things will be different, I believe the game will make use of mechanics (or concepts) related to "the classic games".

I don't think Pokémon Legends should be considered a remake, its history, culture, costume, characters, Dex and world places will be, most probably, totally different from the fourth generation original games. The Game is more of an very ancient prequel, even though the protagonists (visually) are the same. In this regard, there will likely be other similar characters.

Apparently, Pokémon Company is not happy to continue the traditional remake policies. In the past generation, in a way, they tried to change the formula with Pokémon Let's Go. Now, they are prioritizing a prequel to a remake. We will see what the future holds.

Last edited:
T
Kanto: The War
Johto: The period where the Tower is on fire and the three Legendary Dogs are born.
Hoenn: ???
Unova: The split of the Original Dragon into Reshiram and Zekrom and the creation of the region. THere's also the King from the Underwater Ruins being hinted to be N's ancestor.
Kalos: AZ's Great War, perhaps a 'sequel' based off of a 'what-if' scenario if Lysandre launched the weapon succesfully and the world began to evolve again.
Alola: ???
Galar: The period of the Darkest Day when Eternatus first falls onto the Earth and causes the Darkest Day and the moment Zacian and Zamazenta rise and become heroes.
There was a war in Kanto?

As for Alola, you could have the time in which the UBs invaded Alola for the first time and the Tapus fought against Solgaleo/Lunala for the Z-Crystals and moves.

Not really, the game came out in the mid-90’s and so Surge vaguely referenced what is almost certainly the Pokémon world version of the Gulf War.

If there is a potential for Pokémon Legends becoming a series...I think for the Galar region, it would describe the story of the first Darkest Day, where the player character (the boy resembling Victor, and the girl resembling Gloria) helping to fight Eternatus along with Zacian, Zamazenta and the twin kings of ancient Galar. Maybe this would explain why before the player catches Zacian or Zamazenta at the Tower Summit, it looks at the player so calmly and perhaps even obeys to their order to leave the rest to them. Sonia even remarks that the player seems like they've been recognized by real royalty (see Sonia/Quotes). As a result...I wonder if Victor/Gloria reminds these Legendary Pokémon of a person they knew in the past.

Well, that's just a theory, but I'd be open to discuss about it.

If there is a potential for Pokémon Legends becoming a series...I think for the Galar region, it would describe the story of the first Darkest Day, where the player character (the boy resembling Victor, and the girl resembling Gloria) helping to fight Eternatus along with Zacian, Zamazenta and the twin kings of ancient Galar. Maybe this would explain why before the player catches Zacian or Zamazenta at the Tower Summit, it looks at the player so calmly and perhaps even obeys to their order to leave the rest to them. Sonia even remarks that the player seems like they've been recognized by real royalty (see Sonia/Quotes). As a result...I wonder if Victor/Gloria reminds these Legendary Pokémon of a person they knew in the past.

Well, that's just a theory, but I'd be open to discuss about it.
Sorry, but no other Legends should happen before Zygarde and Kalos have their redemption.

Thinking about how Legends has practically brought back Alola's stupid Photo Club feature... if having a dumb photo feature is something they're looking to make standard in the series, it could actually be implemented way more creatively in games set in different time periods. Imagine if they just created a filter that makes it look like someone drew or painted you and your pokemon for you, in a style that suits the region and time period? Could be cool.

Sorry, but no other Legends should happen before Zygarde and Kalos have their redemption.
I think there are more chances for a Legends game set in Unova, based on the theory of the Legends game being brought together with a remake. Or even Johto, if we consider LGPE In the remake count.

I wouldn’t mind a Legends Zygarde for the next one, but I personally don’t think it’s happening.

Thinking about how Legends has practically brought back Alola's stupid Photo Club feature... if having a dumb photo feature is something they're looking to make standard in the series, it could actually be implemented way more creatively in games set in different time periods. Imagine if they just created a filter that makes it look like someone drew or painted you and your pokemon for you, in a style that suits the region and time period? Could be cool.
I’d personally like that.
Given that we got ways to make photos in both Gen 7 and Gen 8 (two times), I’d say there’s good chance they might want to return this feature in future games, and it’s not going to work well if it’s not painting in several timelines.

Legends games should happen in order, so Johto and Unova must come before Kalos.

Legends games should happen in order, so Johto and Unova must come before Kalos.

IDK about Johto, though. For all we know, second remake like LGPE could just be a one-off. It can hardly be considered as a pattern. And we also don't have enough data to conclude that Legends will happen in order. Ironically, if we take things to it's extremity, one can argue that PLA being based on Gen4 games is an "evidence" against that. This is not to say that I believe it would be the case, just that anything still could happen. I do think the next Legends being based on Unova is still the most likely outcome.

And all of this is assuming that Legends will be a series...

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom