• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Because IIRC no one else is shown using the Rotom Bike in Sw/Sh my new headcanon is that all the other Gym Challengers use normal methods to cross areas (i.e Corviknight Taxi or their own Pokémon) but Victor/Gloria are just so dedicated to the Way of the Bicycle that they continue to use it.

Just imagine the image of the Isle of Armour DLC where Hop and the MC are going out to Honeycomb island and Hop is casually riding a Water Type whilst alongside is the Player peddling on the Bike like a maniac. :ROFLMAO:

Because IIRC no one else is shown using the Rotom Bike in Sw/Sh my new headcanon is that all the other Gym Challengers use normal methods to cross areas (i.e Corviknight Taxi or their own Pokémon) but Victor/Gloria are just so dedicated to the Way of the Bicycle that they continue to use it.

Just imagine the image of the Isle of Armour DLC where Hop and the MC are going out to Honeycomb island and Hop is casually riding a Water Type whilst alongside is the Player peddling on the Bike like a maniac. :ROFLMAO:

Hop: "What is he doing?"

Victor: *Starts peddling harder*

Rotom Dex: "He's beginning to believe."

I don't really do headcanons, nor do I know if this counts as one. But it's the only place I can think of where this would fit. If someone could point me to a more appropriate thread, that'd be nice.

If I were to write an adaptation of the games, here's the teams I would have the characters use. Criticisms are very much appreciated.

Red -
Pichu - Pikachu - Starter. Already evolved by debut.
Bulbasaur - Ivysaur - Venusaur
Spearow - Fearow
Eevee - Espeon - Youngest of triplets. Red wanted Flareon, but got this instead.
Cubone - Marowak - The Marowak ghost's child.
Gyarados - Used to be Blue's. He tricked Red into training and evolving it for him, but Gyarados took a liking to Red, so it stayed with him.
Snorlax
Lapras

Blue -
Pidgey - Pidgeotto - Pidgeot - Starter. Already evolved by debut.
Charmander - Charmeleon - Charizard
Abra - Kadabra - Alakazam
Machop - Machoke - Machamp
Eevee - Jolteon - Eldest of triplets. Bully.
Psyduck - Golduck

Green -
Meowth - Persian - Starter.
Squirtle - Wartortle - Blastoise
Caterpie - Metapod - Butterfree
Oddish - Gloom - Vileplume
Vulpix - Ninetales
Eevee - Vaporeon - Middle of triplets.

Ethan -
Hoothoot - Noctowl - Starter.
Cyndaquil - Quilava - Typhlosion
Aipom - Ambipom
Gligar - Gliscor
Tyrogue - Hitmontop
Phanpy - Donphan
Pichu - Pikachu - Raichu

Silver -
Nidoran - Nidorino - Nidoking - Starter. A gift from "dear old dad" before he left.
Totodile - Croconaw - Feraligatr
Zubat - Golbat - Crobat
Teddiursa - Ursaring
Sneasel - Weavile - Stolen from its Trainer
Larvitar - Pupitar - Tyranitar

Kris -
Wooper - Quagsire - Starter.
Chikorita - Bayleef - Meganium
Mareep - Flaaffy - Ampharos
Eevee - Umbreon
Yanma - Yanmega
Swinub - Piloswine - Mamoswine
Togepi - Togetic - Togekiss

Lyra - She and Kris are separate people. She takes the NPC role and is the Day-Care Couple's granddaughter. She loves Eggs.
Azurill - Marill - Azumarill - Starter.
Slugma - Magcargo - Flame Body for Egg-hatching.
Dunsparce
Smoochum - Jynx
Bonsly - Sudowoodo
Mantyke - Mantine
Remoraid - Octillery
Spiky-eared Pichu

Brendan - Takes the player role.
Corsola - Starter. According to B2W2, Norman is from Olivine, so I chose a Pokemon from there.
Torchic - Combusken - (Mega) Blaziken
Taillow - Swellow
Shroomish - Breloom
Aron - Lairon - Aggron
Electrike - (Mega) Manectric
Plusle

May - Takes the NPC role
Wingull - Pelipper - Starter
Mudkip - Marshtomp - (Mega) Swampert
(Mega) Sableye
Meditite - Medicham
Cacnea - Cacturne
Spinda
Minun

Wally -
Ralts - Kirlia - (Mega) Gallade
Treecko - Grovyle - (Mega) Sceptile
Skitty - Delcatty - Originally May's. She lent it to help him catch Ralts and later gave it to him.
Trapinch - Vibrava - Flygon
Swablu - Altaria
Kecleon

Lucas - Takes the NPC role.
Buizel - Floatzel - Starter
Turtwig - Grotle - Torterra
Shinx - Luxio - Luxray
Starly - Staravia - Staraptor
Riolu - Lucario - Received as an Egg from Riley
Rotom

Dawn - Takes the player role
Buneary - Lopunny - Starter
Chimchar - Monferno - Infernape
Pachirisu
Porygon - Porygon2 - Porygon-Z
Eevee - Glaceon
Snorunt - Froslass

Barry -
Budew - Roselia - Roserade - Starter
Piplup - Prinplup - Empoleon
Shellos - Gastrodon
Heracross
Murkrow - Honchkrow
Hippopotas - Hippowdon

Hilbert - Takes the player role.
Sandile - Krokorok - Krookodile- Starter
Oshawott - Dewott - Samurott
Pidove - Tranquill - Unfezant - Female.
Cottonee - Whimsicott
Zorua - Zoroark
Bouffalant

Hilda - Hilbert's twin sister
Blitzle - Zebstrika - Starter
Ducklett - Swanna
Cubchoo - Beartic
Mienfoo - Mienshao
Axew - Fraxure - Haxorus
Yamask - Cofagrigus
Reshiram

Cheren -
Rufflet - Braviary - Starter
Snivy - Servine - Serperior
Venipede - Whirlipede - Scolipede
Drillbur - Excadrill
Minccino - Cinccino
Emolga

Bianca -
Pansage - Simisage - Starter
Tepig - Pignite - Emboar
Munna - Musharna
Sewaddle - Swadloon - Leavanny
Woobat - Swoobat
Darumaka - Darmanitan

N - Despite releasing his Pokemon, these six chose to stay with him. They all have backstories and they were designed specifically to compete with Hilbert's team.
Golett - Golurk - Created by humans. Sees itself as N's protector. Rivals with Samurott
Petilil - Lilligant - Its original Trainer used it in Musicals.. It was released for poor performance. Rivals with Whimsicott
Archen - Archeops - Revived from a Fossil. Rivals with Unfezant
Tirtouga - Carracosta - Revived from a Fossil. Rivals with Krookodile
Sigilyph - Rivals with Zoroark.
Trubbish - Garbodor - Humans treated it like garbage for being garbage. Rivals with Bouffalant
Zekrom

Nate
Dwebble - Crustle - Starter
Tepig - Pignite - Emboar
Keldeo
Eevee - Leafeon
Vullaby - Mandibuzz
Stunfisk

Rosa -
Solosis - Duosion - Reuniclus - Starter
Snivy - Servine - Serperior
Meloetta
Deerling - Sawsbuck
Karrablast - Escavalier - Originally Hugh's
Tynamo - Eelektrik - Eelektross

Hugh -
Roggenrola - Boldore - Gigalith - Starter
Oshawott - Dewott - Samurott
Shelmet - Accelgor - Originally Rosa'a
(RS) Basculin
Genesect
Purrloin - Liepard

Calem - Takes the NPC role.
Dedenne - Starter
Chespin - Quilladin - Chesnaught
Charmander - Charmeleon - (Mega) Charizard (X&Y)
Furfrou
Honedge - Doublade - Aegislash
Clauncher - Clawitzer

Serena - Takes the player role
Helioptile - Heliolisk - Starter
Skiddo - Gogoat - Already evolved by debut.
Fennekin - Braixen - Delphox
(Mega) Mawile
Tyrunt - Tyrantrum - Revived from a Fossil
Noibat - Noivern

Shauna
Goomy - Sliggoo - Goodra - Starter
Froakie - Frogadier - Greninja
Scatterbug - Spewpa - (Elegant) Vivillon
Eevee - Sylveon
Phantump - Trevenant
(Mega) Absol

Tierno
Corphish - Crawdaunt - Starter
Bulbasaur - Ivysaur - (Mega) Venusaur
Hawlucha
Poliwag - Poliwhirl - Politoed
Skrelp - Dragalge
Pumpkaboo - Gourgeist

Trevor
Flabebe - Floette - Florges - Starter
Squirtle - Wartortle - (Mega) Blastoise
Fletchling - Fletchinder - Talonflame
(Mega) Kangaskhan
Pancham - Pangoro
Amaura - Aurorus - Revived from a Fossil.

Elio -
Rockruff - (Dusk) Lycanroc - Starter
Litten - Torracat - Incineroar
Pikipek - Trumbeak - Toucannon
Mudbray - Mudsdale
Fomantis - Lurantis
A. Sandshrew - A. Sandslash

Selene-
Oricorio - Starter
Rowlet - Dartrix - Decidueye
Grubbin - Charjabug - Vikavolt
Mareanie - Toxapex
Salandit - Salazzle
Mimikyu

Hau
Crabrawler - Crabominable - Starter
Popplio - Brionne - Primarina
Pichu - Pikachu - A. Raichu
Eevee - Flareon - And we've come full circle!
Passimian
A. Exeggutor

Gladion
Rockruff - (Midday) Lycanroc - Starter
Type:: Null - Silvally
Scraggy - Scrafty
Scyther - Scizor - A gift from Guzma.
Cubone - A. Marowak
Jangmo-o - Hakamo-o - Kommo-o

Lillie
A. Vulpix - A. Ninetales - Starters
Cleffa - Clefairy - Clefable
Cutiefly - Ribombee
Wishiwashi
Togedemaru
Komala

Chase -
Eevee - Partner
Rattata - Raticate
Mankey - Primeape
Growlithe - Arcanine
Farfetch'd
Slowpoke - Slowbro

Elaine-
Pikachu - Partner
Ekans - Arbok
Bellsprout - Weepinbell - Victreebel
Jigglypuff - Wigglytuff
Ponyta - Rapidash
Doduo - Dodrio

Trace
Weedle - Kakuna - (Mega) Beedrill
Diglett - Dugtrio
Geodude - Graveler - Golem
Krabby - Kingler
Mr. Mime
Ditto

Victor -
G. Farfetch'd - Sirfetch'd - Starter
Sobble - Drizzile - (GMAX) Inteleon
G. Meowth - Perrserker
Silicobra - (GMAX) Sandaconda
Arctozolt
Drakloak - Dragapult

Gloria -
Rookidee - Corvisquire - (GMAX) Corviknight - Starter
Grookey - Thwackey - (GMAX) Rillaboom -
Chewtle - Drednaw
Yamper - Boltund
Applin - Appletun
G. Corsola - Cursola

Hop
Wooloo - Dubwool - Starter
Scorbunny - Raboot - (GMAX) Cinderace
Cramorant
Arrokuda - Barraskewda
Clubbopus - Grapploct
Falinks

Bede
Hattena - Hattrem - (GMAX) Hatterene - Starter
G. Ponyta - G. Rapidash
Blipbug - Dottler - (GMAX)
Sizzlipede - Centiskorch
Sinistea - Polteageist
Milcery - Alcremie - A gift from Opal.

Marnie
Morpeko - Starter
Impidimp - Mogrem - (GMAX) Grimmsnarl
Toxel - (GMAX) Toxtricity (A)
G. Yamask - Runerigus
Snom - Frosmoth
Croagunk - Toxicroak
Reminds me of Pokémon Adventures in some spots.

I tend to assume that between Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, the latter is the "canon" version, if only because it'd help the protagonist differentiate themselves better from Red, who already uses a non-evolving Pikachu.

The Lillipup Cheren uses in B2W2 is the offspring of the Liepard and Stoutland that he and Bianca respectively used during their adventure in BW.

Rather than having narcolepsy, Erika is actually an insomniac and uses her Grass-types' Sleep Powder to help her fall asleep. The player simply barged in in the middle of one of her self-imposed naps.

It's rare for anyone other than dedicated Pokemon Trainers to own more than just one Pokemon due to the huge responsibility that would entail. Taking care of just one pet is already a big commitment to make in real life, so imagine how much harder it would be if that pet could do crazy stuff like breathe fire, shoot lightning, or telekinetically control things with its mind. Now imagine having at least six of those. Yeah.

Last edited:
It's rare for anyone other than dedicated Pokemon Trainers to own more than just one Pokemon due to the huge responsibility that would entail. Taking care of just one pet is already a big commitment to make in real life, so imagine how much harder it would be if that pet could do crazy stuff like breathe fire, shoot lightning, or telekinetically control things with its mind. Now imagine having at least six of those. Yeah.
Now imagine having one that can breathe fire, one that shoots lightning and one that can telekinetically control things... all under one roof. This complication would explain why the majority of high leveled trainers used mostly monotyped team, for simplicity’s sake.

There is a notable portion of people who look down on family-run/inherited Pokemon gyms. It is argued that these gyms make choices of gym leader into a matter of who has the better personal connections, and not a choice based on actual battling skill as they should be. It's seen as too traditional to some.

There is a notable portion of people who look down on family-run/inherited Pokemon gyms. It is argued that these gyms make choices of gym leader into a matter of who has the better personal connections, and not a choice based on actual battling skill as they should be. It's seen as too traditional to some.
Imagine the heated debates of people in favor/against gyms cuz the whole thing boils down to nepotism 90% of the time.

Torkoal and Coalossal have a protocooperative relationship. Coalossal supplies Torkoal with the coal it needs to remain active, while Torkoal’s Drought ability gives Coalossal an extra protection against its crippling water weakness.
I can see that being the case.

Thinking about characters with notable accents that differ from the regions they appear in, and real-world correlations that can be extracted from that.

The Battle Chatelaines seem pretty blatantly Irish, although in ORAS they confirm that they were born and raised in Hoenn. So I presume their parents were Irish immigrants living in Hoenn, and the Chatelaines got their accents from being around them, although the four girls' accents aren't quite as pronounced as their mom and dad's.

Meanwhile, Emma's pals in the Lumiose Gang are definitely from Spikemuth originally.

Contrary to popular belief, Fantina is in fact not from Kalos. She's from Sinnoh, and has just always had a fascination with Kalos, having traveled there many times and studied to become fluent in the language. As I understand it, in real-world Japan, France is pretty romanticized, so it makes sense that Fantina would also make this into a part of her performance, as it adds to her appeal.

As implied by Sun & Moon, Looker is multilingual (which goes with the job). But I think he's natively from a small, obscure European region that speaks a Germanic-rooted language with no real-world equivalent, hence the bizarre soup of numbers he uses in X & Y ("Ein, tvo, tri, fjore... Fif!"). He has an ear for languages, but ones that are more similar to his native tongue (such as English and French) come easier to him, which is why his dialogue in Sinnoh is a little more stilted than we've seen in other regions, and why he completely misunderstood the Japanese-speaking woman during the Looker Bureau storyline.

Last edited:
The Battle Chatelaines seem pretty blatantly Irish, although in ORAS they confirm that they were born and raised in Hoenn. So I presume their parents were Irish immigrants living in Hoenn, and the Chatelaines got their accents from being around them, although the four girls' accents aren't quite as pronounced as their mom and dad's.
What a coincidence, because I headcanon that Hoenn has a large population of PokéIrish immigrants. I also headcanon that Flannery is descended from Irish immigrants.

In addition, Hoenn has a sizable number of people descended from Kalosian and Galarian immigrants.

Sootopolitans speaks a dialect of PokéGreek characterized by loanwords from PokéJapanese.

In the wild, it's actually possible for offspring of different species parents to sometimes be born as the same species as the father rather than always matching the mother, it's just that captivity alters Pokemon reproductive physiology in such a way that fathers are unable to "pass down" their species onto offspring. This "altering of reproductive physiology" is also what causes human-raised Nidorina and Nidoqueen to be unable to breed while wild ones can have babies no problem (by the way, this actually is true for certain species of animals; one of the issues conservation efforts sometimes face is that there's a number of endangered species that have difficulty conceiving in captivity, meaning few to no new babies are born and the species has trouble repopulating).

Yes, I know this theory is probably extremely weird and a lot of you might disagree vehemently, but I have always wondered how exactly male-only species of Pokemon that don't have female counterparts are able to sustain a population, since I don't think that having to exclusively rely on Ditto for that is reliable enough, and the above explanation was what made the most sense to me.

Galar only allows certain Pokémon to be used in official tournaments. You can bring your Oricorio to the region; you just can't use it in the Gym Challenge (I read an explanation for the Dex cut like this in a fanfic and I thought it was such a good explanation).

Back
Top Bottom